Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

NancyPants posted:

This gently caress ugly bookcase:

http://imgur.com/gallery/m0k8a

Hey, his heart is in the right place and he is trying, I can't hate that. He just needs tools and practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Splizwarf posted:

He could also use a hand plane and a handful of sandpaper. :colbert:

That said, that would transform them from "possibly interesting used wood(INTEREST NOT GUARANTEED)" into just " some boards", which defeats any purpose other than "I couldn't otherwise afford this amount of wood". The problem isn't the wood itself, it's that bookshelves (which exist to be mostly covered in things) are a poor showcase for reclaimed/antique wood; it's compounded by the bookshelves looking so out of place in that room.

Wood that old and reclaimed will look old even if you plane it though.

Something like a coffee table would be a more appropriate use of the wood I think. Or looking at the photos - anything built by someone who knows how to use a square would be a step up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm all for recycling old wood, but you have to at least try to make poo poo square. And don't use it for structure.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Shifty Pony posted:

Wood that old and reclaimed will look old even if you plane it though.

Something like a coffee table would be a more appropriate use of the wood I think. Or looking at the photos - anything built by someone who knows how to use a square would be a step up.

You sure about that? I made a picture frame out of some wood from our 100+ year old barn, and everywhere that I cut it ended up looking like brand new lumber.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Man, my first couple of projects looked pretty crappy; I just wasn't as ambitious in terms of scale and didn't post them on the Internet. As long as the dude's trying to improve I say good for him.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
That bookcase wouldn't look out of place as a shelf for storing hardware in a garage or workshed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Because it hides the inevitable mould, duh.

Perfect.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Even if the pattern didn’t involve brown splotches, the way the fabrication process stretched them seems like it would make any design look bad.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm assuming this is salvaged from the fossilized floor of a jurassic hair salon.

I wonder if I can get a toilet in the same material, that'd be stellar.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Goddamn, my brain keeps bouncing back and forth between "it's hair" and "it's poo poo" every time I focus on a different spot. That is a masterstroke of disgusting design.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Where would you want to see that pattern

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Manslaughter posted:

Where would you want to see that pattern

Hell

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Looks more like scorpions or huge spiders imho

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

What a lovely sink

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
http://imgur.com/a/bCdpE A few more.

The entire Campus out here, was build from essentially ricefields, into full campus in around two years.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
More active neglect here, but my hoarder neighbor who has moved elsewhere but still has the house is also letting it go to poo poo:

The front is not much better. He cannot even enter the home anymore due to the vines around the entrance. For background, this is in an area where if he wanted to sell (and has refused numerous offers) he could get half a mil if the house was in good shape.
Mental Illness is no joke.

Modi1024
Nov 15, 2012

at last a sink that contractors can use and not get bitched at for leaving a mess

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Living room:

Huh, that looks odd.

Basement:

oh.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have to say, I'm impressed by the apparent amount of work that went into fitting that fan onto that vent. I mean, it looks quite well done, except it's just, you know, a loving oscillating desk fan.

e: I want to imagine they left the oscillation on and the base forever waggles back, and forth, back, and forth, back, and forth, as if it is slowly struggling in futility to break free.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 23, 2015

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

e: I want to imagine they left the oscillation on and the base forever waggles back, and forth, back, and forth, back, and forth, as if it is slowly struggling in futility to break free.

:laffo:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Now I regret not switching it on.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Of course, if that were the case, it'd officially be art, and destroying the beautiful creation would be an affront.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Mercury Ballistic posted:

More active neglect here, but my hoarder neighbor who has moved elsewhere but still has the house is also letting it go to poo poo:

The front is not much better. He cannot even enter the home anymore due to the vines around the entrance. For background, this is in an area where if he wanted to sell (and has refused numerous offers) he could get half a mil if the house was in good shape.
Mental Illness is no joke.

You can call your local bylaw enforcement people and they'll start dealing with it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

You can call your local bylaw enforcement people and they'll start dealing with it.

I think it's more that he more feels bad for the guy, rather than wanting to get him evicted. Although I might just be assuming, there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KillHour posted:

I think it's more that he more feels bad for the guy, rather than wanting to get him evicted. Although I might just be assuming, there.

There's no being evicted. Dude doesn't even live there anymore. He just owns the property at this point and won't/can't do any upkeep.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a house like that in my town, except it's right in the main pedestrian zone, in a huge tourist area. Whoever owns the place could probably make a killing in rent for the apartments and ground floor shops, instead it's falling apart so badly that the town has had to put up a sign saying "it doesn't belong to us, we're trying to do something about it but our hands are tied." And also "for the love of god don't go in."

Granted, that means at this point it would probably take a considerable outlay to get it fixed up enough so you can rent it out again.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The owner is nice enough. The county has various actions pending against him. Myself and the neighbors think eventually he will sell or lose the house and a developer will put in a McMansion. No one wants the McMansion.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I drive by this house everyday, the previous block wall was built without interlocking the blocks so each block was right on top of the block below it. Apparently, the wall also had no foundation as over the years portions of the wall would slowly lean and then fall over. My favorite part of the leaning wall would lean right against the tree in the foreground.

The owner recently got a contractor to tear out the old wall and replace it with this rock wall. Of course, the contractor didn't dig down below grade and pour a foundation for the wall.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

The Gardenator posted:

I drive by this house everyday, the previous block wall was built without interlocking the blocks so each block was right on top of the block below it. Apparently, the wall also had no foundation as over the years portions of the wall would slowly lean and then fall over. My favorite part of the leaning wall would lean right against the tree in the foreground.

The owner recently got a contractor to tear out the old wall and replace it with this rock wall. Of course, the contractor didn't dig down below grade and pour a foundation for the wall.

So wait, the house looks like that, but the owner decided the most pressing concern was the decorative wall that held up the mailbox?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

So wait, the house looks like that, but the owner decided the most pressing concern was the decorative wall that held up the mailbox?

The wall hides their shame. Wtf is going on with that roof/wall?? Also, this not worth posting anywhere else and it's kinda a crappy construction tale. One of the sub contractor's helpers is over sanding my drywall today, it's 40F out, and the idiot left my back door (50ft from his work zone) wide open. Go right ahead buddy, the heating bill is all on me today. It's not like I wanted to keep my indoor cat inside today, how loving stupid do you have to be to leave the door wide open in an occupied house on a cold day???

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

Wtf is going on with that roof/wall??

Looks like a little greenhouse-style extension there with a corrugated metal roof. It's clearly not the same kind of construction as the rest of the house. Of course, it's also totally full of junk, from the looks of it.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

I'm embarrassed by how long I stared at this before I noticed the outlet.

But not embarrassed enough to keep it to myself.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Looks like a little greenhouse-style extension there with a corrugated metal roof. It's clearly not the same kind of construction as the rest of the house. Of course, it's also totally full of junk, from the looks of it.

Looks like it may have been a 3-season porch/entryway at one time. I'm guessing they're also hoarders.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
People are over-complicating the whole dog washing thing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

People are over-complicating the whole dog washing thing.

"We used, uh, stomach grease."

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The best thing would be to have a double outlet cover, where bottom is a 20A outlet and top is a hose spicket. I may mock that up and put it outside just to gently caress with people

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Don't forget a USB charging port.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

NancyPants posted:

This gently caress ugly bookcase:

http://imgur.com/gallery/m0k8a
In this picture:

I'm imagining his right foot on the other end of that board.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I admit, the idea amused me, but why wouldn't you at least plane and sand them to be more uniform? Cut them down to more uniform lengths? Maybe not use the fully-rotten timbers? 'Rustic' is making a bookshelf out of recycled wood, 'exotic' is managing to put one together out of driftwood, 'ramshackle' is about where those appear to be. I'm sure they're reasonably functional, but they just look so out of place in that room.
b-b-b-but patina!

Javid posted:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/bS7xAwll.jpg][/img]
The best part of this picture is that they took the time to use a box and outlet instead of just tying the fan's power cord into the house wiring. Of course, that must have been right before quitting time, since there's no coverplate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Magnus Praeda posted:

Looks like it may have been a 3-season porch/entryway at one time. I'm guessing they're also hoarders.

I have a lot of sympathy for hoarders after I learned my neighbor was a hoarder because she realized as a child that if there was so much stuff in her room no one could get in, she wouldn't be raped. :sigh:

In crappy construction, my roof of my favorite burger joint is failing, causing the ceiling to collapse from water damage. It was then that I saw the "wiring" in the ceiling was actually a large number of extension cords running from who-knows-where. The water was dripping off them. I wish I could have taken a picture.