Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

computer parts posted:

Which elections have been "foreign policy focused"?

1860, but just for the south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

computer parts posted:

2004 was pretty foreign policy focused.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Also sorry, I don't give a poo poo about people being allowed to have guns. It's wrong, in general.

Sure, might as well start restricting access by throwing due process out the window. Nothing bad can come of it, no precedents can be set.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Nah. Don't ruin your family's racist hugbox.

The family members I'm eating with are about as left-wing as I am so it really ends up being an anti-racist hug box, but I know most other people aren't that lucky.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

There is a foreign policy focus in the elections. For some people, the foreign policy focus is easy to see. Others don't see it at all. Some people say the foreign policy focus is tame. Others say it's vicious and dangerous. Since no one can really be sure who's right, isn't it smart to be as strong as the foreign policy focus? If there is a foreign policy focus....

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

1952 elections

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SedanChair posted:

Sure, might as well start restricting access by throwing due process out the window. Nothing bad can come of it, no precedents can be set.

When someone kills someone through not quartering a troop at them, or refusing to self-incriminate at them, or delegating rights to the states not delegated to the federal government at them, I'll worry.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Also the second to last of FDR's re-election campaigns

e: wrong one

Dead Cosmonaut fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 23, 2015

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
We already had the racist hugbox, at my kids (4 and 8) birthday party of all places. Started with my father in law asking my father if they still had my mom's parents (who he mistakenly thinks are both dead, instead of just my grandfather) things, and if those things included some sort of copper something or other with a Reichsadler engraved on it that was in the china cabinet that my grandparents brought over after WWII. Uncomfortable silence #1. It ended with my father in law tapping my father in the leg and asking what he thought about Donald Trump, and my dad pointedly telling him that it didn't matter, since noone was going to beat Hillary, and then avoiding my father in law for the rest of the party.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Got another mass shooting, two gunmen open fire into a crowd of hundreds in New Orleans at... Bunny Friend Park.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

When someone kills someone through not quartering a troop at them, or refusing to self-incriminate at them, or delegating rights to the states not delegated to the federal government at them, I'll worry.

Like the right to remain silent hasn't gotten tons of murderers, etc. off the hook. Get real.

Are there progressives in this thread seriously arguing any effort revolving around the no-fly list should involve anything besides demanding its immediate non-existence?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Ballz posted:

Got another mass shooting, two gunmen open fire into a crowd of hundreds in New Orleans at... Bunny Friend Park.

Bunny Friend is the name of a deceased teen.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

DeusExMachinima posted:

Like the right to remain silent hasn't gotten tons of murderers, etc. off the hook. Get real.

Are there progressives in this thread seriously arguing any effort revolving around the no-fly list should involve anything besides demanding its immediate non-existence?

Fun note that Nelson Mandela was on that poo poo until he died. List is bullshit like I'm sure there are actually threats on there but those are probably already tracked by other organizations

Progressive doesn't not mean left, it's just means an improvement over the status quo it doesn't surprise me and it shouldn't surprise you, the left in America is comical.

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 23, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fishmech posted:

Well, we've killed a several people by torturing them to death after imprisoning them without trial, so yeah, that's a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gul_Rahman

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/federal-prosecutor-probes-deaths-of-2-cia-held-detainees/2011/06/30/AGsFmUsH_story.html

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

SirKibbles posted:

Fun note that Nelson Mandela was on that poo poo until he died. List is bullshit like I'm sure there are actually threats on there but those are probably already tracked by other organizations

Yeah, like fishmech's point about suspected terrorists on the no-fly list probably being on another list entirely if they've been convicted other crimes is entirely on-point actually. Which begs the question of you'd need the no-fly list to cross-reference to gun purchases at all then since the FBI maintains a list of prohibited possessors anyway.

Of course, the NICS check for gun purchases requires you to have actually been convicted by a jury of your peers for your own actions though. Not fitting some mystery profile known to a handful of people. So with that annoying hold-up for a chance to defend your name NICS is probably not "responsive" enough to satisfy real Americans like fishmech and/or Dick Cheney.

quote:

Progressive doesn't not mean left, it's just means an improvement over the status quo it doesn't surprise me and it shouldn't surprise you, the left in America is comical.

Definitely. I certainly don't mean to imply that everyone (or a majority) of posters in this thread would be in favor of this bill.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

No let's go with this. Lets deprive minorities of gun rights as well, right? Out of hand. It's not like it's a useful right, so they shouldn't mind.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, we've killed a several people by torturing them to death after imprisoning them without trial, so yeah, that's a thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gul_Rahman

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/federal-prosecutor-probes-deaths-of-2-cia-held-detainees/2011/06/30/AGsFmUsH_story.html

We've killed far more by torturing them to death with imprisonment after trial, so this ain't compelling, Jack!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yeah, like fishmech's point about suspected terrorists on the no-fly list probably being on another list entirely if they've been convicted other crimes is entirely on-point actually. Which begs the question of you'd need the no-fly list to cross-reference to gun purchases at all then since the FBI maintains a list of prohibited possessors anyway.

Of course, the NICS check for gun purchases requires you to have actually been convicted by a jury of your peers for your own actions though. Not fitting some mystery profile known to a handful of people. So with that annoying hold-up for a chance to defend your name NICS is probably not "responsive" enough to satisfy real Americans like fishmech and/or Dick Cheney.

The proposal is not the no-fly list. It's the terrorist watch list which has some overlap with the no-fly list but not total overlap, and mostly includes foreign nationals who've never entered the US since they've been on there - again, 98% foreign nationals.

SedanChair posted:

No let's go with this. Lets deprive minorities of gun rights as well, right? Out of hand. It's not like it's a useful right, so they shouldn't mind.

First off, guns aren't a right, they're a privilege. Secondly, minorities are the most in favor of restricted gun privileges and also least likely to buy guns.Third, everyone should be denied guns without being able to articulate a drat good reason beyond "i'm worried the blacks will shoot me" (the most common reason given for owning a gun).

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 23, 2015

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Fishmech I get that guns are dumb but dispensing with Equality Before the Law (even for the 2% of the terrorist watch list that are American) doesn't just lend itself to a slippery slope argument, it IS the slippery slope.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

fishmech posted:

The proposal is not the no-fly list. It's the terrorist watch list which has some overlap with the no-fly list but not total overlap, and mostly includes foreign nationals who've never entered the US since they've been on there - again, 98% foreign nationals.

I stand corrected. IIRC a previous similar bill specified the no-fly list but it's really academic. If the list can be applied to you without your publicly recorded day in court, it ought to be limited to internal agency use.

quote:

First off, guns aren't a right, they're a privilege. Secondly, minorities are the most in favor of restricted gun privileges and also least likely to buy guns.Third, everyone should be denied guns without being able to articulate a drat good reason beyond "i'm worried the blacks will shoot me" (the most common reason given for owning a gun).

Good news then! You don't have to give a drat about the Second Amendment here, just the Fourth.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GalacticAcid posted:

Fishmech I get that guns are dumb but dispensing with Equality Before the Law (even for the 2% of the terrorist watch list that are American) doesn't just lend itself to a slippery slope argument, it IS the slippery slope.

Slippery slope implies something bad.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I stand corrected. IIRC a previous similar bill specified the no-fly list but it's really academic. If the list can be applied to you without your publicly recorded day in court, it ought to severely restricted in its legal powers.

Good news then! You don't have to give a drat about the Second Amendment here, just the Fourth.

Good news! I don't have to give a poo poo about the 2nd amendment, and therefore the 4th doesn't even come into it. The 4th would only matter if the 2nd did.

So long as rights to use most forms of weapons are more restricted then guns, the whole defense of the 2nd isn't even intellectually honest. Take switchblades for example, there's no way to argue they aren't arms and they're more heavily restricted than nearly all guns.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 23, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

fishmech posted:

Slippery slope implies something bad.

Good news! I don't have to give a poo poo about the 2nd amendment, and therefore the 4th doesn't even come into it. The 4th would only matter if the 2nd did.

So long as rights to use most forms of weapons are more restricted then guns, the whole defense of the 2nd isn't even intellectually honest. Take switchblades for example, there's no way to argue they aren't arms and they're more heavily restricted than nearly all guns.

Whoops. The due process clause is in the Fifth and it actually does apply whether or not the forbidden activity you've been accused of is an enumerated right, sorry. And I would agree switchblade bans are dumb soccer mom poo poo after people saw Rebel without a Cause. They are legal again in a large minority of states including mine.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 23, 2015

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

Take switchblades for example, there's no way to argue they aren't arms and they're more heavily restricted than nearly all guns.

:smug: "What, you've still got two of 'em attached to you buddy, I don't know what you're complaining about"

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Personally I think we need more lists, especially ones that include rich people.

In fact I'm pretty sure America's moral decay is rooted in its inability to list things.

For example, why are foreign nationals a threat to America? List three reasons :colbert:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Every 6 hours I come here there's a new tag and title! :psyduck:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

RuanGacho posted:

Personally I think we need more lists, especially ones that include rich people.

In fact I'm pretty sure America's moral decay is rooted in its inability to list things.

For example, why are foreign nationals a threat to America? List three reasons :colbert:

Only if that rich person list says "Menu" on top.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone
There's no point checking no-fly lists, terrorist lists, or whatever when someone can avoid the background check entirely just by going to a gun show.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

size1one posted:

There's no point checking no-fly lists, terrorist lists, or whatever when someone can avoid the background check entirely just by going to a gun show.

No you see people need to pass a background check to go to a gunshow my closet libertarian thread insisted its so right after he double checked I hadn't been to one first.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Only if that rich person list says "Menu" on top.

We need to know where they are and what they've done for appropriately ironic punishments.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So hey, you know that part in Bioshock 3, where they substitute Founding Fathers into religious tableaus and iconography? And how this is used as a stark way of pointing out that the group has adopted a similar form of Franco's Christian Fascism, marrying nativism, national mythos, and fundamentalist christianity into an authoritarian power system? And how the whole thing is meant as an over the top satire of veneration of historical figures and a criticism of such authoritarian tendencies?

Guess what Indiana is no poo poo for real completely unironically doing?

Like I'm not even particularly religious, and this offends me as sacrilegious.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

size1one posted:

Ehhh, it only sortof works like that. Most vendors -- i.e., anyone with an actual stall -- at gun shows also have to do the background checks. The only people who don't are the ones who don't have a stall

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That looks like a stunt by atheists and not serious founding father deification though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

So hey, you know that part in Bioshock 3, where they substitute Founding Fathers into religious tableaus and iconography? And how this is used as a stark way of pointing out that the group has adopted a similar form of Franco's Christian Fascism, marrying nativism, national mythos, and fundamentalist christianity into an authoritarian power system? And how the whole thing is meant as an over the top satire of veneration of historical figures and a criticism of such authoritarian tendencies?

Guess what Indiana is no poo poo for real completely unironically doing?

Like I'm not even particularly religious, and this offends me as sacrilegious.

Nothing too offensive about that, just a pretty mild test from the FFRF that Franklin County passed.

No, the best murals in Indiana have always been from P&R, each of which almost certainly exists in spirit somewhere in this state.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a single republican candidate that hasn't lost their mind? I'm used to them being lovely people, but I feel like this election is going even crazier than usual when it comes to this stuff.

that which is dead can never die

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Grouchio posted:

Sorry, politicians keep saying stupid poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Epic High Five posted:

Nothing too offensive about that, just a pretty mild test from the FFRF that Franklin County passed.

No, the best murals in Indiana have always been from P&R, each of which almost certainly exists in spirit somewhere in this state.

i am sorry, but those are amusing insane. i like them somehow.

Edit. its from a show. I am dumb.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

DeusExMachinima posted:

DeusExMachinima posted:

I stand corrected. IIRC a previous similar bill specified the no-fly list but it's really academic. If the list can be applied to you without your publicly recorded day in court, it ought to be limited to internal agency use.

Yeah, it doesn't really matter which list we're talking about. If you don't get due process, it's not a valid way to restrict rights.

I think it's telling that Fishmech keeps referencing "98% foreign nationals" as if that means the 14,000 American citizens on it are somehow irrelevant.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They're an extremely accurate, pointed satire on small town midwestern history so feel free to enjoy them :P

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Edit. its from a show. I am dumb.

Live in Indiana for a while and you will come to find exactly how accurate that show is. It is very easy to do a 1 to 1 map of things they mocked there, and things people in Indiana really do.

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Grouchio posted:

maybe you should stop posting

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yeah, it doesn't really matter which list we're talking about. If you don't get due process, it's not a valid way to restrict rights.

I think it's telling that Fishmech keeps referencing "98% foreign nationals" as if that means the 14,000 American citizens on it are somehow irrelevant.

No American citizens have an actual right to own guns, so 14,000 of them not being able to buy new ones is in fact irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Ehhh, it only sortof works like that. Most vendors -- i.e., anyone with an actual stall -- at gun shows also have to do the background checks. The only people who don't are the ones who don't have a stall

You're right, but there's still enough private sellers that you're not prevented from buying firearms in any practical sense. You can also find a private seller on one of numerous online classified sites. You're not even limited in terms of choice of weapon. Here's 200+ AR15s and AK47s available from private sellers, and that's just virginia

• Locked thread