Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Malloc Voidstar posted:

is there any vpn/vps yospos recommends for low latency stuff? my TWC net is having routing issues where some servers have terrible routes and others are fine, so i'm thinking of using a vpn just for the improved routing. but all the vpns I know of are poo poo

i've done this before using a nearby low-end vps for browsing but they tend to randomly disconnect

i'm currently using a vps called vultr.com. it has a turnkey openvpn server for seven tenths of a cent per hour, aka $5/month
i've been using their dallas location for a couple months, and it seems ok so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

lazydog posted:

seven tenths of a cent per hour, aka $5/month
these two figures are not the same depending on whether they bill per hour or per month

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
ok, yeah it looks like they charge per hour until you reach the monthly rate.

my account shows me this month's hourly charges, but shows last month as an even $5.

lazydog fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 15, 2015

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

lazydog posted:

i'm currently using a vps called vultr.com. it has a turnkey openvpn server for seven tenths of a cent per hour, aka $5/month
i've been using their dallas location for a couple months, and it seems ok so far.
unstable 150ms ping to a location 100mi from me, thanks twc
thankfully the ping to the location 500mi away is only 30ms
seems to be working so far so thanks for the recommendation

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

has anyone used boxcryptor or Safe for encrypting stuff you put on various butt storage services?

right now I have stuff on my pc that I back up with crashplan but just having their main home be my butt (with local backups) would probably work just as well and be easier to set up

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

DuckConference posted:

just having their main home be my butt

text me

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
has anyone here ever dealt with Microsoft volume licensing

gonna need like 10 copies of Windows 10 pro. so far it looks like I should just buy them at retail

would have just bought computers with it pre installed but timing got tight and I had to order off amazon

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Silver Alicorn posted:

gonna need like 10 copies of Windows 10 pro. so far it looks like I should just buy them at retail

would have just bought computers with it pre installed but timing got tight and I had to order off amazon

before we had software assurance, we bought a few copies of windows 7 from dell. i don't think microsoft even deals with it, you have to have a reseller. anything less than 20 or 25 copies they'll give you a mass activation key.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Silver Alicorn posted:

microsoft volume licensing is bad and dumb and unless you are licensing more than 25 installs afaik you might as well not even bother

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
whats the best python testing framework

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

obstipator posted:

a glass tank and a bunch of mice

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

obstipator posted:

DUnit *points to dilz*

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

obstipator posted:

production

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

microsoft volume licensing is bad and dumb and unless you are licensing more than 25 installs afaik you might as well not even bother

not all at once, anyway.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Silver Alicorn posted:

email your dell sales rep and let them know what you need. they'll hook you up.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kalstrams posted:

production

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i will use.....,,,,, G Unit!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

a while ago someone posted a projector wiring system where it was a huge bundle wire you threw in the wall and then each side had an adapter so you could make it be whatever input you needed on either side without having to go back in to the wall as standards change. I can't find the thing and I suck as searching for this type of thing so if someone knows what the hell I'm talking about I would appreciate it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
the word "balun" might help you google

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Corla Plankun posted:

the word "balun" might help you google

and "plenum" maybe

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

and "plenum" maybe

and "plumbus"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

prefect posted:

and "plumbus"

that's a more useful suggestion than what those two knuckleheads came up with

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah all wires are the same right??? :rolleyes:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
so i have an old windows 98 laptop connected to a gigabit ethernet network, and it can't seem to perform better than 1 megabit throughput. the ethernet card is a 10/100 ethernet PCMCIA card.

is it possible that adding a slower ethernet switch for it to connect though would improve performance from it? i do have a 10/100 switch hanging around

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i kinda doubt it. althuogh if your gig switch is managed you could try setting the switch port to 10 meg. make sure the card is negotiating full duplex (or just force it)

that said i'd check CPU usage while you're doing transfer. my guess is that your ancient laptop is choking itself at some point. make sure your hard drive's in DMA mode and maybe check your NIC driver to see A) if it's just a generic driver or if it's the actual driver for that device, and B) whether checksum offload is enabled so that your clapped out pentium 3 (...2?!) isn't doing all the network card stuff itself

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

so i have an old windows 98 laptop connected to a gigabit ethernet network, and it can't seem to perform better than 1 megabit throughput. the ethernet card is a 10/100 ethernet PCMCIA card.

is it possible that adding a slower ethernet switch for it to connect though would improve performance from it? i do have a 10/100 switch hanging around
have you tried turning off autonegotiate on either end

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i kinda doubt it. althuogh if your gig switch is managed you could try setting the switch port to 10 meg. make sure the card is negotiating full duplex (or just force it)

that said i'd check CPU usage while you're doing transfer. my guess is that your ancient laptop is choking itself at some point. make sure your hard drive's in DMA mode and maybe check your NIC driver to see A) if it's just a generic driver or if it's the actual driver for that device, and B) whether checksum offload is enabled so that your clapped out pentium 3 (...2?!) isn't doing all the network card stuff itself

nah the switch it's on is a samknows internet monitoring box that broke so now it just acts a gigabit switch, completely non-configurable.

i'll try checking that, but the thing is it will easily do 10 megabyte per second read from or write to the compactflash in an ide adaptor used for the hard drive (the original hard drive topped out at like 8 megabytes a second because it was slow and low density), as well as usb flash drives attached to the usb 2.0 pcmcia card (the laptop's only native usb port is a 1.1 port). and honestly i'd expect if it was caused by cpu usage problems, the usb stuff would also suffer.

also the driver is the latest manufacturer provided win9x driver.

and the laptop is one of these, albeit not running linux: http://michaelminn.com/linux/toshiba335/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
additionally, it's a 3COM Etherlink III PCMCIA card, and I can't find any sort of setting like "checksum offload" in the windows settings stuff

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
hmm. well, i could be wrong. it might be worth throwing it on the other switch to see what it does.

are there any performance options for the network card?

EDIT: don't forget anthonypants' suggestion to try disabling autonegotiate and just force select a connect speed. try different speeds to see if you get different results.

another thing you could try would be to swap the PCMCIA cards to see if the problem follows the card or not. maybe one of the slots doesn't work so well?

also i'm curious, what are you using the laptop for?

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 22, 2015

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

hmm. well, i could be wrong. it might be worth throwing it on the other switch to see what it does.

are there any performance options for the network card?

EDIT: don't forget anthonypants' suggestion to try disabling autonegotiate and just force select a connect speed. try different speeds to see if you get different results.

another thing you could try would be to swap the PCMCIA cards to see if the problem follows the card or not. maybe one of the slots doesn't work so well?

also i'm curious, what are you using the laptop for?

the only options in the hardware properties dialog is to change the interrupt ranges, and in the network settings to put non-autoconfiged wins gateway/dns/ip

i see no option to disable autonegotiate anywhere

i guess i'll try swapping the cards in the slots

i use it to gently caress around with old computer stuff. it's pretty nice because any modern malware fails due to expecting an nt kernel

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
swapping the cards didn't do anything. attaching it to this trendnet "green" 10/100 switch i have allows it to handle 1.8-2 megabits instead of the old 0.8 to 1 megabits.

anyone have recommendations for the best pcmcia Ethernet card to buy off ebay? would really prefer it to be one with a dongle thing you use so it stays single-height, so as to have both usb and ethernet in at once.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

so, im running windows 7 (best os) and now windows update constantly asks to reboot to install an update. like, within minutes of the previous reboot. what the gently caress? is there a way to clear out windows update and tell it to just try whatever it's trying to do again?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
that happened to me once with a laptop that had some weird problem where the updates had to be installed in a certain order

google your laptop info + problem update and someone will probably tell you what to do

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

maniacdevnull posted:

so, im running windows 7 (best os) and now windows update constantly asks to reboot to install an update. like, within minutes of the previous reboot. what the gently caress? is there a way to clear out windows update and tell it to just try whatever it's trying to do again?
are you micromanaging windows update so you don't get windows os x

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

anthonypants posted:

are you micromanaging windows update so you don't get windows os x

Not really. I don't want to upgrade yet but I probably well before spring. I think I have it set to auto install

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

maniacdevnull posted:

Not really. I don't want to upgrade yet but I probably well before spring. I think I have it set to auto install
then it sounds like windows update is working as intended

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ok so looks like there was some registry thingy that got hosed up:

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...w7itprosecurity

quote:

please try to check the following registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\RebootRequired]
backup all the keys, and delete them. After that, please try to restart your PC again. usually if the windows updates request reboot, it will create a key in this path, maybe this registry key corruption caused this issue.

????? no idea what messed that up for me but im guessing it was loving michaelsoft!! pushing win10 on me to subvert my computing freedoms

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i have a nodejs that needs to do ldapping over ssl. it cries about CERT_UNTRUSTED. how do i tell node that ds.poopybuttwhole.com is a legit web that it should trust? running osx 10.9.5 if it matters

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Stop using node and stop using Linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shaggar posted:

Stop using node and stop using Linux.

just tried this and,,,, it worked!!! :wth:!!