Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Defenestration posted:

loving politifact

But "Climate change is "directly related" to the growth of terrorism." is "mostly false"
:rolleyes:

Yeah, the only way that article at all jives with the "mostly false" designation is if you insistently assume that "directly related to" actually means "is caused solely by" even though it's blindingly obvious that's not what was said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Defenestration posted:

loving politifact

But "Climate change is "directly related" to the growth of terrorism." is "mostly false"
:rolleyes:

"Directly related?" Did he present a full statistical analysis showing a linear regression model with r^2 greater than .95? No? drat lying commie.

pathetic little tramp posted:

A pretty awesome response to the "Homeless veterans need to come before refugees" crowd from a Christian:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slackt...-making-you-mi/

With resources at the bottom if you actually are capable of giving a poo poo about homeless veterans.

Yes, Slacktivist is the man.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Jurgan posted:

"Directly related?" Did he present a full statistical analysis showing a linear regression model with r^2 greater than .95? No? drat lying commie.

I bet he actually got that slope from a TANGENT based off a DERIVATIVE, not good clean AMERICAN math!

I can't remember if this was already posted, but one of the PhDs I used to work with put it on Facebook recently:

Nice guy aside from the politics, which were that of a patriotic Texan. He was usually funny and calm but every now and then he would bust into the lab and yell something like "GLOBAL WARMING IS THE BIGGEST HOAX EVER PULLED!" then immediately leave before any of us techs could even respond.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Britain First shared a video of some Muslim getting beat up in prison for threatening his fellow inmates. Not posting the link because gently caress Britain First.
Anyhow, one of my FB friends who's been on a roll recently shared it. Weird guy, he never talks or comments, just shares news.
Then his friend joined the conversation

:stare:
Uhm. so uh
yeah
I'm Indy Nile (oh come on Social Fixer, you too? :( ) and he's Anna Mull.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
So wait, even the Wikipedia says that ISIS stands for Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. What's it supposed to be?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

SSNeoman posted:

Britain First shared a video of some Muslim getting beat up in prison for threatening his fellow inmates. Not posting the link because gently caress Britain First.
Anyhow, one of my FB friends who's been on a roll recently shared it. Weird guy, he never talks or comments, just shares news.
Then his friend joined the conversation

:stare:
Uhm. so uh
yeah
I'm Indy Nile (oh come on Social Fixer, you too? :( ) and he's Anna Mull.

Dude certainly sounds like a white supremacist if he can't figure out the difference between standing your ground and championing the cause of a fascist European group.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Can't wait for President for Life Donald J. Trump to get all of his news from Breitbart, Twitchy, and Allenbwest.com like they were properly vetted articles.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/twitter-users-blast-donald-trumps-racist-inaccurate-black-on-black-crime-tweet/

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
one last hurrah for this weekend of EPORW

Through it all, above it all, the one thing that pisses EPROW off is

Obama, for something something treason France

Obama, something coal

Obama, for not dying in a war?

Obama who dared to visit Canada

Oprah. What's Oprah done lately?

Reminder: Obama's remarks were in response to a religious test for refugees

It's Obama! The guy you keep making macros about!

Seriously, Obama is a non-being of some kind

BIN. LADEN. DETERMINED. TO STRIKE. IN THE US.
:nowwatchthisdrive:

Obama hates America.

Bush loved america

Reagan loved America so much he chowed down on American flags

hahahahah poopy

George Washing---wait, are we pro or anti- Washington here?

Philosophy 101 :weed:

i'll tell you what's worse: our white balance

And our magenta channel

Not pissed off here

And now, here's my good friend John Kennedy to tell you why we need more guns

Voter fraud! :supaburn:
Journal of a Mad Man indeed

I'll call you uninformed too

Well someone's parents didn't teach them not to kill people in cold blood while they're handcuffed, or within two seconds of driving up to a park and seeing a child

All white classes of schoolkids wasting time reciting the pledge of allegiance? No thanks

As if capitalism isn't mandatory

So close

And yet so far

My gun is a puckle gun. Your argument is invalid.

If TJ had a son...it could likely have been with his fourteen year old slave, Sally Hemmings, whom he raped repeatedly.

Say it with me now
gently caress
YOU
ISRAEL

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
im envisioning...native americans armed with european weapons and immunities...

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

As opposed to Donald Trump, who "feels like he was in the military" because he went to a military-themed prep school.

And this I still don't understand. I taught in public schools for years, and they said the pledge every drat day.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Defenestration posted:

My gun is a puckle gun. Your argument is invalid.

...also, the Puckle Gun is essentially a giant loving musket with revolving chambers. In order to advance the chambers, though, the operator has to unscrew a mechanism, manually position the chamber flush with the barrel, then tighten it back down. In order to replace cylinders, they have to completely remove the locking lever. While this gave the weapon a pretty significant edge on a single infantryman in terms of average rate of fire, it was absofuckingloutly nothing like a trained shooter with a modern semi-automatic assault rifle. Or a lunatic magdumping into a crowd (though the Puckle Gun also had a 'shot' option which fired :stare:19 goddamn musket balls:stare:, so it would be pretty effective in this scenario).

In other news, I've been six-degrees-of-wikipedia-ing other early didn't-quite-catch-on repeating firearms for the better part of the last hour. Holy poo poo I want to make some of these! What ever happened to the days when a (:bahgawd:white) gentleman (and absolutely nobody else:bahgawd:) with sufficient funding could just commission a foundry to make them a custom five-round revolving cannon OBAMA!!?!??!??! :freep:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
How can this even exist in the information age? http://on-indian-and-conservative-wings.tumblr.com/faq

quote:

10. How can you be a minority female Republican? Republicans hate minorities, the poor, LGBT, etc.

Third of all, Republicans do not hate all those people, and you can flip yourself off for falling prey to liberal propaganda.

Yes, they do actually. Their collective voting record and treatment of people who aren't their backers has proven this fact numerous times.

quote:

-Gender/Transgenderism: There are only two genders: male and female. You’re born in the body you’re in, and no amount of gender reassignment surgeries and hormone therapies will totally make you the opposite gender or rewire your biology completely. I can understand the argument for a third gender if you were born with both sets of genitals, but that is extremely rare. Transgenderism (or gender dysphoria, whatever you call it) is definitely a medical condition, and according to some doctors, a mental illness. Like any medical condition or mental illness, I encourage people who have it to talk to a medical professional and not encourage or promote it.

Correct me I'm wrong but aren't the only who make this claim complete quacks who've either lost their licenses or were never licensed to begin with? Cause I'm sure that this fact would be a massive strike against this idea.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 23, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Chimera-gui posted:

Correct me I''m wrong but aren't the only who make this claim complete quacks who've either lost their licenses or were never licensed to begin with? Cause I'm sure that this fact would be a massive strike against this idea.

strictly speaking, gender dysphoria is a mental disorder, and the medical treatment for it is counseling and transition. there is a push to declassify it from being less of a disorder and more of a condition, since it's not necessarily harmful, but rather just causes harmful effects in a gendered society

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 23, 2015

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

LonsomeSon posted:

...also, the Puckle Gun is essentially a giant loving musket with revolving chambers. In order to advance the chambers, though, the operator has to unscrew a mechanism, manually position the chamber flush with the barrel, then tighten it back down. In order to replace cylinders, they have to completely remove the locking lever. While this gave the weapon a pretty significant edge on a single infantryman in terms of average rate of fire, it was absofuckingloutly nothing like a trained shooter with a modern semi-automatic assault rifle. Or a lunatic magdumping into a crowd (though the Puckle Gun also had a 'shot' option which fired :stare:19 goddamn musket balls:stare:, so it would be pretty effective in this scenario).

In other news, I've been six-degrees-of-wikipedia-ing other early didn't-quite-catch-on repeating firearms for the better part of the last hour. Holy poo poo I want to make some of these! What ever happened to the days when a (:bahgawd:white) gentleman (and absolutely nobody else:bahgawd:) with sufficient funding could just commission a foundry to make them a custom five-round revolving cannon OBAMA!!?!??!??! :freep:
Wow, thanks for this technical info.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Chimera-gui posted:

How can this even exist in the information age? http://on-indian-and-conservative-wings.tumblr.com/faq

Yes, they do actually. Their collective voting record and treating of people who aren't their has proven this fact numerous times.

Correct me I'm wrong but aren't the only who make this claim complete quacks who've either lost their licenses or were never licensed to begin with? Cause I'm sure that this fact would be a massive strike against this idea.

A Dumb rear end in a top hat posted:

-Abortion: It’s essentially legalized murder.

-Death Penalty: I support the death penalty

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

that politifact article is short circuiting my brain

i hate them sooooo much

quote:

That’s not to say that climate change isn’t contributing to existing problems. Democratic presidential candidate Martin O’Malley used more accurate language when he said, "One of the things that preceded the failure of the nation-state of Syria and the rise of ISIS was the effect of climate change and the mega-drought that affected that region, wiped out farmers, drove people to cities, created a humanitarian crisis." We rated his comments Mostly True.

my balls

this is a direct factual statement

how the gently caress can it be 'mostly true'

are they quibbling with the use of 'mega'?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

:suicide:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i hate them sooooo much

If they were actually honest about this stuff then it'd look like they were just being massively partisan, and we can't have that now can we

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

If they were actually honest about this stuff then it'd look like they were just being massively partisan, and we can't have that now can we

The Thick of It posted:

Because of you, I had to come down on Steve Fleming completely unfairly, just to protect my unimpeachable reputation for fairness.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LonsomeSon posted:

And an option to fire round bullets at Christians and Square ones at Muslims.

WASWAS at lunch yesterday and they were pretty nice guys?

Jurgan posted:

And this I still don't understand. I taught in public schools for years, and they said the pledge every drat day.
They want this version back :ssh:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

I am not a book posted:

So wait, even the Wikipedia says that ISIS stands for Islamic State in Iraq and Syria. What's it supposed to be?

Well, there's apparently a couple of different ways you can translate al-Sham, which is the "S" in ISIS. There isn't a right way, but I fell into the camp that says al-Sham best translates as Levant region and I've no particular reason to change it.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

But he had a (well, 1 legitimate) son! He died at a few weeks old. Is a person not a person at conception? How dare they not recognize poor SIDS Jefferson.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i hate them sooooo much

my balls

this is a direct factual statement

how the gently caress can it be 'mostly true'

are they quibbling with the use of 'mega'?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

:suicide:

They do some really stupid "well, technically they said this" equivocating. Like in 2012 someone said that Paul Ryan's plan would "destroy Medicare" and they said it wasn't true because while he would completely change how Medicare works currently so nobody would actually get any insurance it would still be called "Medicare."

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Friend's wife on FB:

quote:

Charlie Sheen is 45 and his story is all over the news because he is a substance abuser, an adulterer, sexually promiscuous and obnoxious.

Lindsay Lohan is 24 and her story is all over the news because she is a celebrity drug addict and a thief.

The same can be said about drug addict Philip Seymour Hoffman who died with a needle stuck in his arm.

Alec Baldwin, actor, who is constantly in the news for his public disorderly conduct and inappropriate language and behavior involving the police or photographers, among others, continues to stay in the news.

Something as frivolous as Kim Kardashian's stupid wedding (and short-lived marriage) was shoved down our throats, while........

Let's not forget the thug Michael Brown that was made an angel by our Barak Obama, Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson.

Also Trayvon Martin who Obama said could have been his son, while......

>> Justin Allen 23
>> Brett Linley 29
>> Matthew Weikert 29
>> Justus Bartett 27
>> Dave Santos 21
>> Jesse Reed 26
>> Matthew Johnson 21
>> Zachary Fisher 24
>> Brandon King 23
>> Christopher Goeke 23
>> and Sheldon Tate 27...

...are all Marines who gave their lives last month for you. There is no media for them; not even a mention of their names.

They were young men who most likely came from rural America seeking a chance to better themselves and to serve this country.

Honor THEM by sending this on.

I did, will you?

Rest In Peace, and THANK
YOU, TROOPS. SEMPER FI

Just :effort: I gotta put this down to them being former military because they're both kinda hippies and into Bernie nowadays, just clinging on to some lovely right wing thoughtcrime. The original version of this omitted the part about Michael Brown, but someone added that in to make it extra racist as well as lovely.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

There were some interesting designs and innovations regarding firearms back then - have you seen the Lorenzoni?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_hnC6x036Q

quote:

Today we have one of the oldest guns we've looked at, a Lorenzoni repeating flintlock pistol. The system was designed by an Italian gunmaker in Florence name Michele Lorenzoni. They were made in very small numbers, and the workmanship is stunning, especially considering that they were first manufactured in the 1680s.

Instead of using a revolving cylinder pre-loaded with multiple shots, the Lorenzoni system utilizes powder and ball magazines in the frame of the gun and a rotating breechblock much like a powder throw tool used today for reloading ammunition.

Few things then are like things now - technological innovations have advanced and expanded the scope of many rights, but if the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to advances in arms, then the 1st wouldn't hold for advances in communication like the internet, radio, etc.

The entire 'The Founders never considered AR15s therefore...' argument is bunk.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

'last month' appears to actually refer to July 2010

and 'not reported' appears to mean 'only reported in the area where they lived, much like 99.9999% of deaths.'

my favorite part has to be 'who likely came from rural america', since it completely gives away the game that the chain originator didn't know jack poo poo about any of these soldiers and is only interested in the political hay they can make.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LeJackal posted:

There were some interesting designs and innovations regarding firearms back then - have you seen the Lorenzoni?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_hnC6x036Q

Few things then are like things now - technological innovations have advanced and expanded the scope of many rights, but if the 2nd amendment doesn't apply to advances in arms, then the 1st wouldn't hold for advances in communication like the internet, radio, etc.

The entire 'The Founders never considered AR15s therefore...' argument is bunk.

The intent of the founders doesn't matter in any regard. They were not infallible übermensch and their standards and morality is no longer useful or applicable to our society today.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Somewhere Justice Scalia just got really mad and he doesn't know why.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

robotsinmyhead posted:

Just :effort: I gotta put this down to them being former military because they're both kinda hippies and into Bernie nowadays, just clinging on to some lovely right wing thoughtcrime. The original version of this omitted the part about Michael Brown, but someone added that in to make it extra racist as well as lovely.
When the media does report on every single dead or injured service personnel then hawks complain that they're making the war look bad. :rolleye:

LeJackal posted:

I think gun owners would be upset if they had the same limitations, licensing scheme, public registry, and test requirements as radio operators.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Go gently caress yourself, LeJackal.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

When the media does report on every single dead or injured service personnel then hawks complain that they're making the war look bad. :rolleye:

I think gun owners would be upset if they had the same limitations, licensing scheme, public registry, and test requirements as radio operators.

You don't need a license, registration, or test requirements to operate on quite a few frequency bands.

In addition, your right to broadcast is using a medium which is owned by the public and as such requires special consideration to make sure in theory that everyone gets use out of it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Maybe we should have one big turret-mounted gun in the middle of town, and anyone who feels like they want to exercise their right to bear arms without owning a gun themselves can pay money and have a short panel of tests.

Now they are licensed to fire the central gun!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Ahahaha this is the greatest reaching self-contradictory excuse I've heard for not accepting refugees.

http://www.caintv.com/what-does-the-bible-really-say

So the Samaritan isn't risking himself... but if he actually feared for his life he's risking another stranger's life, and that's ok? Not the more reasonable assumption that, "hey, this dude's in pretty bad shape and he needs rest, I'll pay his bill while he recuperates." How do you miss the parable's message that "your actions are what make you a good person; even this hated subgroup can be a better Jew [Christian] than assholes more concerned with their own piety and not touching a bloody body on the Sabbath." ?!? To say nothing of the more common idiocy about how we're letting thousands MILLIONS of refugees POTENTIAL TERRORISTS into the country and that WE'RE ALL AT RISK!

I'm posting it here because I can't respond to the idiot that liked it, though I did unfriend her, something I never got around to after she treated my sister like crap.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

The intent of the founders doesn't matter in any regard. They were not infallible übermensch and their standards and morality is no longer useful or applicable to our society today.

The founders were cool with state and local governments banning black people from bearing arms, so turns out you can actually fit quite a bit of regulation into "well-regulated" if you wanna

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

The founders were cool with state and local governments banning black people from bearing arms, so turns out you can actually fit quite a bit of regulation into "well-regulated" if you wanna

Guns owners, just as racist during the nation's founding as they are today.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think that really carries over because the founders didn't consider blacks to be people. You don't hear the NRA complaining that chimpanzees can't buy guns yet,

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

VitalSigns posted:

Should have let them have 3/5 of a gun each.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm all in favor of arming certain groups (people of color, women, trans people, and so on and so forth) because they could probably use them. And it would be pretty baller.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

Ahahaha this is the greatest reaching self-contradictory excuse I've heard for not accepting refugees.

http://www.caintv.com/what-does-the-bible-really-say

So the Samaritan isn't risking himself... but if he actually feared for his life he's risking another stranger's life, and that's ok? Not the more reasonable assumption that, "hey, this dude's in pretty bad shape and he needs rest, I'll pay his bill while he recuperates." How do you miss the parable's message that "your actions are what make you a good person; even this hated subgroup can be a better Jew [Christian] than assholes more concerned with their own piety and not touching a bloody body on the Sabbath." ?!? To say nothing of the more common idiocy about how we're letting thousands MILLIONS of refugees POTENTIAL TERRORISTS into the country and that WE'RE ALL AT RISK!

I'm posting it here because I can't respond to the idiot that liked it, though I did unfriend her, something I never got around to after she treated my sister like crap.

I don't get why these types even bother with the Bible. If you are just going to absolutely mangle a passage to mean what you already believe (Matthew 19 is a common victim here as well) just scrap it entirely and don't give a poo poo what some sheep herders from 2000 years ago thought. I guess some people need reaffirmation for stuff they already think but these are always so incredibly stretched and the reality is so clear I can't imagine even they themselves are fooled.

I remember a macro where Matthew 19 was very carefully rearranged and configured with specific omissions to be pro-wealth and there is absolutely no way to do that without perfectly understanding the real message.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 23, 2015

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Radish posted:

I don't get why these types even bother with the Bible.

Branding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lemma posted:

Branding.
Isn't that exactly what the Bible warned that followers of Satan would do?