Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There's no better way to spend a Friday evening than drinking rum straight from the bottle, watching Star Trek: TNG on Netflix, and committing crimes against scale modeling.

I was originally going to paint the hi-mock's cyclops eye blue and paint a black 'stache underneath, but the king tiger turret fits perfectly in the neck socket. It's like fate.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There's no better way to spend a Friday evening than drinking rum straight from the bottle, watching Star Trek: TNG on Netflix, and committing crimes against scale modeling.

I was originally going to paint the hi-mock's cyclops eye blue and paint a black 'stache underneath, but the king tiger turret fits perfectly in the neck socket. It's like fate.

I wish I could have figured out a way to get the Hi-Mock on tracks but I wound up just mounting the AA gun to the left arm.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I wish I could have figured out a way to get the Hi-Mock on tracks but I wound up just mounting the AA gun to the left arm.

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Origin-Guntank-Gundam/dp/B00U7A8I2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448077015&sr=8-1&keywords=guntank

EDIT: or this guy: http://www.hlj.com/product/ban949005

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 21, 2015

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ugh, I think I need to get one of these stupid little knockoff Gundam things.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Crapmock: Son of Craptank is turning out magically.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jadebullet posted:

They're official Gundam kits, the Hi-Mock was just a cheap knockoff in the series its from.

They're also very cheap and insanely well-built for their price because Bandai know you will drop another $30-$50+ on more kits and/or accessories.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This here is looking great and it sounds like a normal way to spend a Friday night to me.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

jadebullet posted:

Do it, depending where you are they seem to be insanely cheap - mine was about £8.00 including delivery from Japan.

Meanwhile the Flower-class corvette that I bought as a one-off with no intention of getting into modelling sits unbuilt at the bottom of a growing stack in my cupboard.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I am seriously considering getting one and doing stupid things to it conversion wise.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Mine is in the mail.

aaaand won't get here until sometime in December. Oh well.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

jadebullet posted:

I am seriously considering getting one and doing stupid things to it conversion wise.

Same here, holy poo poo that Porsche headed hi-mock is cool. He even has three itty bitty beady eyes :3: All it needs is a zimmerit coating imo

Molentik fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 21, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I found my old photobucket account with all my progress shots!

Here's where I stopped, years ago, with my E-25

Screw it, I think I'm going to start again tomorrow. This thread is great for ideas and help, and all the cool stuff here is making me jealous.

Edit:

Masking shot

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 21, 2015

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Hasbro started releasing some new Star Wars micromachines a couple months back.

Van Dis fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 6, 2021

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Two of my old Trumpeter figures that I stripped and re-painted. I think they turned out okay this time around.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Van Dis posted:

Hasbro started releasing some new Star Wars micromachines a couple months back. Today I tried a couple of washes on them. Here's a clean Y-wing:

and here it is after a brown wash:

I've been considering doing that kind of thing. I got a second Phantom to repaint, but it's just been sitting in the pack doing nothing.

ETA: it looks like your Y-wing has the opposite broken spine bend to mine. That's actually really easily fixed by just dipping it in warm water and straightening it out then holding it under the cold tap. I've been doing it for all my new and old micro machines of late.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Infantry dump!

This guy is from an ancient Zvezda kit. The quality isn't exactly modern, but I think the face turned out pretty well on him, and I always liked this figure due to the big silly goggles.

Also I finally finished off those Masterbox marines.

And here's the whole set:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Welp, NaNoWriMo is taking more of my time than I hoped. Add to that the fact that I've decided my grey is too dark, so I had to strip the shoulders and legs and find a lighter grey (And now the weather's turned so I can't spray it just yet), and... The head is probably the only part of this Hi-Mock getting done in November.

Assuming I can get the time to clean it up...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So N scale is a pretty small scale, but ships are hard to come by because even in N scale they tend to be pretty big.

Here's an old first-generation container ship in N scale, it's 3' long.

Here's a 28" long "feeder" container ship

Pretty big right? Well how big would a modern container ship be in N scale??
This big:

That's 8' long

You could have a whole loving layout on the deck of that ship. It really brings home how insanely big the biggest modern ships are.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 23, 2015

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Baronjutter posted:

This big:

That's 8' long
Please tell that's your dinning table in the picture.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

So N scale is a pretty small scale, but ships are hard to come by because even in N scale they tend to be pretty big.

Here's an old first-generation container ship in N scale, it's 3' long.

Here's a 28" long "feeder" container ship

This big:

That's 8' long

You could have a whole loving layout on the deck of that ship. It really brings home how insanely big the biggest modern ships are.

Haha, awesome.

Eons ago I got to tour a Nimitz class carrier with the boy scouts, and there was a similar sense of "oh my god, are you loving serious." There just isn't a word more appropriate than "leviathan." I'd love to build a model carrier in that sort of scale, but I don't have the money, space, or sheer brute determination to finish the fucker.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I just finished up Comrade Katyusha for November :toot:

The lighting isn't the best, but I tried going for a worn, yet not neglected look as far as weathering goes.

The original plan was to have it holding an appropriately sized Ppsh41, but the two I got were either too big or too small. So I fell back on Plan B: Get a cheapo Tiger model and turn it into Panzerklub™

You can't see it in the pictures, but I took a lighter to one side so I could give it some solid dents, along with bending the barrel.

I brave and patriotic 1/72 scale Katyusha truck sacrificed it's rack for the cause :ussr:

The barricade is from Flames of War if anyone is wondering.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Commissar Canuck posted:

I just finished up Comrade Katyusha for November :toot:

The lighting isn't the best, but I tried going for a worn, yet not neglected look as far as weathering goes.

The original plan was to have it holding an appropriately sized Ppsh41, but the two I got were either too big or too small. So I fell back on Plan B: Get a cheapo Tiger model and turn it into Panzerklub™

You can't see it in the pictures, but I took a lighter to one side so I could give it some solid dents, along with bending the barrel.

I brave and patriotic 1/72 scale Katyusha truck sacrificed it's rack for the cause :ussr:

The barricade is from Flames of War if anyone is wondering.

Awesome.

I meant to get at least the basic construction done on mine today. Instead I did nothing except laundry. Thanksgiving weekend is my last hope!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Aw man, I was going to do a Katyusha. I guess now I'm left with my backup plan. Great work though

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

I once drove alongside one of these giants in Hamburg. It felt like several city blocks passing you by.

And then there also was this.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I finished my Tempest, but I am not the most happy with it to the point where I am not even sure if I want to post pictures of it. The wash didn't go very well unfortunately, as I am used to 28mm space mans that react well to a wash, rather than a wing which had some major pooling issues. Fixing this issue caused the camo to get a bit blurred at the edges and trying to fiddle with it caused me to realize that I was going to do more harm than good, so I weathered it, and then sealed it.

Just as an aside, apparently CITADEL 'ard coat will fog canopy glass slightly. I need to get some future for my next project, and some dull coat.

For the record, it doesn't look bad sitting on my shelf, but I know that the camera is going to bring out the flaws, and I know I can do better.

I am also buying a hi-mock. They are on sale on Amazon right now.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Hi, crossposting from the fix it fast quick questions thread: Hoping painting plastic on a model and on a laptop are similar.

Strong Sauce posted:

I'm interested in painting my old laptop lid over the Thanksgiving break as something to do while I'm with family. Considering a lot of the process is just waiting I felt this is a decent balance between hanging out with family and having an excuse to not hang out with family.

My laptop is a x120e lenovo thinkpad. It has a matte black finish plastic lid that I would like to paint yellow but keep the matte finish. There is also a thinkpad logo that indents into the case slightly that I would like to just cover up maybe with bondo (or whatever is cheapest)

I've never really done something like this before, and I've looked at a couple guides online . But basically the steps I'm going to follow (and the questions I have) are:

1. Strip paint with some type of paint stripper (do I need to do this or is sanding enough?)
2. Fill logo with bondo (is there anything else I can use besides bondo since the indent is not that deep?) and sand it down.
3. Sand down the lid (how many levels of sandpaper do I need? how rough of a grit should I be using for each step? I've read a guide saying 240, 800, then 1000)
4. Clean smooth/sanded lid
5. Tape up places I don't want painted with painter's tape
6. Spray paint with primer (I want the final color to be yellow like Transformer's Bumblebee. I read that you should keep your primer color lighter if you're going for brighter color finish?)
7. Resand after first coat of primer(???)
8. Add X more coats of primer (how many coats do I need) and let it dry (how many hours between each coat?)
9. Apply base coats (how many coats of this? what grit of sand paper should I sand down with?)
10. Apply color coat (how many coats of this? do I need to sand down at this step?)
11. Apply matte coat since I want to keep the same matte finish. (how many coats of this?)

From reading it seems like sometimes people do all these steps, which read similar to how to paint a car but I'm not sure how much of this I actually need to do for a basic laptop case. I want to keep this as cheap as possible and it seems some people skip out on some steps, so if there's stuff I can skip and not have to buy please let me know.

Thanks!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
For models you'd do one coat of primer, not sand after (why would you ever do this?), then paint, then one coat of matte (or a coat of gloss, then wash, then matte). For something that will get handled lots, like you'd expect a laptop to, maybe more than one layer of matte finish would be preferred.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

Hi, crossposting from the fix it fast quick questions thread: Hoping painting plastic on a model and on a laptop are similar.

I did something like this a while back on the laptop of a friend of mine. Basically what youve written down, but I didnt bother with priming, using the finish on the laptop itself as a primer base. I just sanded it with tiny grit sandpaper so the paint had something to grip on and filled the logo with the superfine white Milliput. I did swipe it down after sanding with rubbing alcohol to make the surface as clean as possible. After that I airbrushed the basecoat and the image with Vallejo Air. Let it cure properly (I let it set for 48 hours just to be sure) then apply a few coats of gloss varnish first because somehow they are harder. Make sure you let the varnish cure properly between each coat by leaving it overnight, and have two or three coats of matt varnish as final layers, depending how matt you want it to be.

If you can take the cover you want to paint off and keep the laptop itselfs somewhere else because all the sanding will make it dusty as gently caress, and the gasses from the varnish arent too good for the internals/screen of the laptop.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ensign Expendable posted:

For models you'd do one coat of primer, not sand after (why would you ever do this?), then paint, then one coat of matte (or a coat of gloss, then wash, then matte). For something that will get handled lots, like you'd expect a laptop to, maybe more than one layer of matte finish would be preferred.
Depends on what you're painting and how. If you spray the first coat of primer on it can magnify any roughness than you didn't notice previously and you get a grainy effect, so you then sand it again and hopefully get the thing to be glass smooth.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Eh, screw it. I might as well show some pics of this thing.

I dunno, I am not the most happy with it, but I chock it up to being a bit rusty. Also, I have never used a vacuum molded canopy before. It was not fun, and doesn't sit right, which is one of the reasons why I just kind of half assed the painting of the support structure for it. I plan on going back and redoing it at some point. As you can see, the wash didn't work as I intended it to, but I mainly built this model to take to work and display on my desk, so I used it as a sort of test bed anyway.

It is a Pakistan Air Force Hawker Tempest MKII

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 23, 2015

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Has anyone had experience using a truck/car/bike tyre instead of a compressor for driving a spray gun? I'm tempted to get back into modelling but I don't want to kick off with too big an investment. Also any experience with the Dragon Pzkpfw III kit and recommended add ons? I blame all of you bastards btw.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jadebullet posted:

Eh, screw it. I might as well show some pics of this thing.

I dunno, I am not the most happy with it, but I chock it up to being a bit rusty. Also, I have never used a vacuum molded canopy before. It was not fun, and doesn't sit right, which is one of the reasons why I just kind of half assed the painting of the support structure for it. I plan on going back and redoing it at some point. As you can see, the wash didn't work as I intended it to, but I mainly built this model to take to work and display on my desk, so I used it as a sort of test bed anyway.

It is a Pakistan Air Force Hawker Tempest MKII

Next time you're washing a plane work from front to back with brush-strokes. That way if you get any pools they're more likely to look like the result of general crud buildup while in-flight. You MIGHT be able to fix that canopy frosting with some hand painted gloss varnish.

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015

Cartoon posted:

Has anyone had experience using a truck/car/bike tyre instead of a compressor for driving a spray gun? I'm tempted to get back into modelling but I don't want to kick off with too big an investment. Also any experience with the Dragon Pzkpfw III kit and recommended add ons? I blame all of you bastards btw.

Which Dragon Panzer III? They have released nearly thirty of them in the last 20-ish years to say nothing of 1:72nd line. They can range from pretty good to utterly awful. If it's been a while since you've gone at a kit, I recommend grabbing something simpler than a Dragon kit.

As to the tire question, I'd recommend just brush painting instead. Grab an earlier Panzer III and just brush paint it panzer gray. That's the cheapest way to do it and it'll probably yield better results than a tire or whathaveyou.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

wtfbacon posted:

Which Dragon Panzer III? They have released nearly thirty of them in the last 20-ish years to say nothing of 1:72nd line. They can range from pretty good to utterly awful. If it's been a while since you've gone at a kit, I recommend grabbing something simpler than a Dragon kit.

As to the tire question, I'd recommend just brush painting instead. Grab an earlier Panzer III and just brush paint it panzer gray. That's the cheapest way to do it and it'll probably yield better results than a tire or whathaveyou.
I meant to put 1:72 scale and I'm keen on the J. This is by way of an introduction to moving up in scale to 1:16 and was my compromise as a starter so the extra complexity is actually an attraction. I'm a reasonably experienced modeller (from thirty years ago) and can't face going back to a brush. If you remain concerned that as a return this is too ambitious I'm interested in following a single tank for the up building and really wanted a Pzkpfw III E/F. What would your recommendation be?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just curious, does anyone here have the following decal sheet lying around, specifically the H-21 decals. I am looking all over for them, but so far I can't find one for sale. (guy who is selling it on scalemates hasn't responded.)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Molentik posted:

I did something like this a while back on the laptop of a friend of mine. Basically what youve written down, but I didnt bother with priming, using the finish on the laptop itself as a primer base. I just sanded it with tiny grit sandpaper so the paint had something to grip on and filled the logo with the superfine white Milliput. I did swipe it down after sanding with rubbing alcohol to make the surface as clean as possible. After that I airbrushed the basecoat and the image with Vallejo Air. Let it cure properly (I let it set for 48 hours just to be sure) then apply a few coats of gloss varnish first because somehow they are harder. Make sure you let the varnish cure properly between each coat by leaving it overnight, and have two or three coats of matt varnish as final layers, depending how matt you want it to be.

If you can take the cover you want to paint off and keep the laptop itselfs somewhere else because all the sanding will make it dusty as gently caress, and the gasses from the varnish arent too good for the internals/screen of the laptop.

Thanks so I just need to lay one basecoat, and one color coat and maybe a couple coats of matte? what do you mean by gloss varnish being harder?

Also tiny as in fine or a low grit number? I'm guessing you mean fine?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
It would help if I added a link of what I am looking for.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/128736-wolfpak-decals-72-024-alaskan-air-command

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

Thanks so I just need to lay one basecoat, and one color coat and maybe a couple coats of matte? what do you mean by gloss varnish being harder?

Also tiny as in fine or a low grit number? I'm guessing you mean fine?

Yes, use the paint thats already on the laptop as the primer, just sand it smooth with fine sandpaper. After that paint on it what you want then varnish it.

I gloss coated the whole thing first because I did some details by hand that had slightly raised lines from the paint. The gloss 'levels' better than the matt so you have a smoother finish, which helps against wear (less 'ridges/edges' for dirt to accumulate or that take more force when handling and 'tearing off' the paintjob for lack of a better way to express it.

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015

Cartoon posted:

I meant to put 1:72 scale and I'm keen on the J. This is by way of an introduction to moving up in scale to 1:16 and was my compromise as a starter so the extra complexity is actually an attraction. I'm a reasonably experienced modeller (from thirty years ago) and can't face going back to a brush. If you remain concerned that as a return this is too ambitious I'm interested in following a single tank for the up building and really wanted a Pzkpfw III E/F. What would your recommendation be?

I can't speak to their 1:72nd line. I've only built their 1:35 stuff. The problem with dragon is that they have a tendency to use 30 parts where 3 will do and their instructions are utter garbage. I'd grab a Tamiya kit and go nuts with that to ease yourself back into the hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I agree. The 1/48 from Tamiya is top notch and practically builds itself, especially compared to Dragon.