Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Better solution: throw them all in coin collection sheets and pass sheets around so everything stays together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I played Tash-Kalar for the first time yesterday, on BGA. What a rad, fast little abstract game. I want to add it to my physical collection and bring it over to my 2-player gaming buddy's house immediately. After playing a couple rounds, it made me start wishing that Chess had a catch-up mechanic.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dropkickpikachu posted:

Forgive my ignorance, is there a way to sign up for the beta somewhere, or how are they running that operation? I've only played TS like once and a half IRL and I'd like to get more practice and learning in so I feel more excited to get it to the table.

As far as I know the current beta is for kickstarter backers of the digital edition only, but maybe there might be an open beta period between now and release?

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
BGG (Board Game Goons), I come to you with a question. A group and friends and I get together every week or so to spend a long evening playing games. Recently we have been playing a lot of Arkham Horror, Game of Thrones, etc. That is to say, we are no strangers to long/complex games.

In randomly perusing YouTube today, I came across a review for a game that instantly captivated me, Twilight Imperium. I'm a giant sci-fi geek, so this game looks amazing to me. My question is, have any of you played it, and did you enjoy it? Having watched a couple videos, it seems long, complex, and awesome.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've never played TI, but there's an entire thread on the game that you might appreciate: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651978

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TI is great to fill a specific niche, the 8+ hour non wargame Niche. It's fun if you run with the fluff, but there's some deeply buried garbage in there

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Finally opened the Modern Art I got in the math trade. Great game, easy enough for casuals but with some good depth. I'm think I may like it more than Ra.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Board game recommendations for a bunch of kids please , oldest is 12, rest are 6 up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

SynthOrange posted:

Board game recommendations for a bunch of kids please , oldest is 12, rest are 6 up.

King of Tokyo

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So a few quick questions i had about the newest edition of Fury of Dracula

1.Just a quick clarification, Dracula doesn't gain influence naturally right? Just from maturing the vampire cards and biting/defeating the hunters right?

2.So whenever Hunters take an item or event card, they are allowed to say what it is right? Or is it like Pandemic where you're only allowed to be super vague up until you're trading? I did read that you are allowed to show each other cards while you're trading and talk away from Dracula which i suppose makes sense, but i wanted to make sure i got it right.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My understanding is that outside of an actual trading action, you may discuss your cards with the other hunters but not actually show them, so dracula can overhear anything you say. The trading action allows you to show rather than tell so information can be concealed from dracula

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So a few quick questions i had about the newest edition of Fury of Dracula

1.Just a quick clarification, Dracula doesn't gain influence naturally right? Just from maturing the vampire cards and biting/defeating the hunters right?

2.So whenever Hunters take an item or event card, they are allowed to say what it is right? Or is it like Pandemic where you're only allowed to be super vague up until you're trading? I did read that you are allowed to show each other cards while you're trading and talk away from Dracula which i suppose makes sense, but i wanted to make sure i got it right.

1) Mostly correct. Every week he also gains a despair counter. Once he has three despair counters, he starts producing 3 automatic influence every time he moves, just to speed the end of the game.

2) Yes, hunters may say or show whatever they want, but must also tell/show Dracula. During trading, however, you may converse/show cards privately.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
TI3 is Ameritrash as gently caress, but it's a helluva ride.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I'm looking for some recommendations for games I can introduce to my co-workers for our bi-monthly "stop work early and drink/eat/socialize" nights. They had Munchkin before I got there (ick), I brought in Codenames which they quite enjoy, and some of us played a game of Carcassonne that nobody hated. We can typically get at least 4 together, 6+ are up for codenames (though people tend to cycle out from round to round), but I don't think anyone would really feel left out if a game couldn't accommodate everybody - most people aren't there to game specifically.

I'd prefer to contribute something just a bit heavier than just a "party game," but I don't think they'd react terribly well to heavier euros just yet.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Che Delilas posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations for games I can introduce to my co-workers for our bi-monthly "stop work early and drink/eat/socialize" nights. They had Munchkin before I got there (ick), I brought in Codenames which they quite enjoy, and some of us played a game of Carcassonne that nobody hated. We can typically get at least 4 together, 6+ are up for codenames (though people tend to cycle out from round to round), but I don't think anyone would really feel left out if a game couldn't accommodate everybody - most people aren't there to game specifically.

I'd prefer to contribute something just a bit heavier than just a "party game," but I don't think they'd react terribly well to heavier euros just yet.

I'm going to cast my vote for Mysterium which plays 2-7 (though I think it'll be most enjoyable with 4+) and if they like Codenames then there's a good chance they'll enjoy Mysterium as well.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Che Delilas posted:

They would probably enjoy Camel Up or perhaps Istanbul (might be slightly too complex). Pictomania is always a good choice. Ra/Modern Art are great but out of print. Biblios/No Thanks/Linko if you want to err on the shorter side. Bohnanza is pretty good too and plays up to 7. Skull isn't heavier than what you've listed but it's awesome. If you get 7+ there's always The Resistance.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

AmericanGeeksta posted:

BGG (Board Game Goons), I come to you with a question. A group and friends and I get together every week or so to spend a long evening playing games. Recently we have been playing a lot of Arkham Horror, Game of Thrones, etc. That is to say, we are no strangers to long/complex games.

In randomly perusing YouTube today, I came across a review for a game that instantly captivated me, Twilight Imperium. I'm a giant sci-fi geek, so this game looks amazing to me. My question is, have any of you played it, and did you enjoy it? Having watched a couple videos, it seems long, complex, and awesome.

TI3 is my favourite game by a huge margin but it needs a big table and an hour to an hour and a half per player. It's a good year when I get to play it twice

Also, I think a lot of the appeal for me could be nostalgia

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I keep wondering if Fantasy Flight is ever going to do a new edition of Twilight Imperium. They probably could make an improvement over the current iteration these days.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SynthOrange posted:

Celestia, maybe, if the 6 year old is bright and can add up to 50.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

I keep wondering if Fantasy Flight is ever going to do a new edition of Twilight Imperium. They probably could make an improvement over the current iteration these days.

I think I'm too in love with it to see how.

Although it's been a decade, so you'd certainly think that there might be an improvement or two that could be applied

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mojo Jojo posted:

Although it's been a decade, so you'd certainly think that there might be an improvement or two that could be applied

TI3 might be like Merchant of Venus, the real fans like it the way it is.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Got my replacement parts for Pandemic:Legacy and we're playing it tonight! We're going to unleash the Black Plague again! :neckbeard:

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Mojo Jojo posted:

There are some easy ones. Merging in expansion elements like the improved objective cards, streamlining combat (lots of ways to do this and it would speed the game up tons - I often wonder if some people subconsciously avoid combat situations just because of the time and bother of the initiative rounds with lots of ships), a less clumsy research tree where you don't have to use a flowchart or built a pyramid...something to be done about diplomacy, maybe streamlining the shattered empires version with the spies etc. I think a few changes wouldn't effect the depth but could really speed up play.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mojo Jojo posted:

Uh, well for starters isn't it commonly held even among diehard TI fans that the action placards/cards/whatever you call those cardboard triangles that determine initiative and give you your primary action for that round are actually kind of crap and you want to use the ones from the expansion instead? That seems like a no-brainer to me right there. How about the plentiful balance issues that I'm sure have to exist between the various factions? I'm sure that there's some dead weight that could be trimmed away in all sorts of areas.

Like, I'm not saying I hope FFG takes a machete to a game you love, but how long has it been now since TI3 came out? I don't feel like it's too controversial a statement to suggest that FFG has gotten better at the whole game design thing over the years. I have a feeling there's stuff that they could do to improve the quality of a hypothetical TI4 that even diehard fans would approve of, even if they couldn't actually make it take less than 8 hours to play.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I sometimes play with a guy who understands rules instantly and plays with utter precision, and quickly. I love playing with him but I feel like a child :haw:

I'm considering pulling the trigger on Food Chain Magnate partly because I'm curious but partly because I know he's up for heavy games. We'll still get stomped by him but maybe he'll feel a little more engaged :haw:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Frisk posted:

TI is great to fill a specific niche, the 8+ hour non wargame Niche. It's fun if you run with the fluff, but there's some deeply buried garbage in there

We all know it has dice combat and other such sins. It doesn't matter, Twilight Imperium 3 is the one game that is simply too epic to care about it's own flaws, similar to Ogre Designers Edition.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Having dice combat is not a sin. Having dice combat done badly is a sin.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's another game that's more fun to imagine than to actually play

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Lord Frisk posted:

It's another game that's more fun to imagine than to actually play

The EVE Online of the board gaming world.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Tekopo posted:

Having dice combat is not a sin. Having dice combat done badly is a sin.

I'd argue it depends on the game. If the culmination of a 3 hour game that features no other randomness ends on a bad dice roll during combat after you've spent the rest of the time gaining loads of minor advantages that should have given you the edge to win, then there's really no dice combat system that's satisfying.

If dice combat is the heart and soul of the game and everything else exists to feed into it (and involves buckets of dice being thrown around to even out randomness), or if the game is pretty short, then I don't mind dice combat.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Zveroboy posted:

The EVE Online of the board gaming world.

No that's this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38703/eve-conquests

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

I'd argue it depends on the game. If the culmination of a 3 hour game that features no other randomness ends on a bad dice roll during combat after you've spent the rest of the time gaining loads of minor advantages that should have given you the edge to win, then there's really no dice combat system that's satisfying.
I think that falls down to 'dice combat done badly' myself.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also unless you are literally rolling a hundred dice per combat or your game features thousands of discrete combat segments (which, hey, is possible in a monster wargame), there's no such thing as 'evening out randomness' within the number of rolls that you roll during a standard game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How do you make an epic monster of a game more epic? Simple.

Twilight Imperium: Legacy.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Trip reports, whoo!

I played Evolution, Kemet and Argent. All on a table possibly too small for Evolution.

Kemet and argent are absolute tablehogs too, so I'm amazed the games went as well as they did.

Evolution was pretty nice, there's a single deck of traits, there's some food in the middle. You play traits and make new species and make your species fatter/more populous. It was.. Nice? I enjoyed the hour we spent playing it, but I wasn't vying to go back for more afterwards. The rules are definitely easy enough to teach to someone new to boardgaming, but ultimately I'm glad it's not me who payed for this, but I'd play it if someone asked. 7/10 I guess?
Evolution is right in my wheelhouse, since I mostly play with casual but (thanks to me) game-literate friends. 7 Wonders, Pandemic and Ticket to Ride also tend to go over well.

I noticed that your picture doesn't display usage of the table-saving vertical orientation of species cards, with traits tucked behind. Try that next time if needed.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Mage Knight : Legacy. That Monastery you burned was actually over a hellmouth so endless demons will be coming out of it chasing you. At least you can level up faster.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Fat Samurai posted:

Got my replacement parts for Pandemic:Legacy and we're playing it tonight! We're going to unleash the Black Plague again! :neckbeard:

Our viruses are the T Virus, Mega SARS, G.U.I.L.T., and 'Spiders!' . Played some more over the weekend, that game is way too interesting and there's a good chance I'll never want to play a 'vanilla' game of Pandemic again.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Morpheus posted:

I never want to play a game of Pandemic again.

Hear hear

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Our viruses are the T Virus, Mega SARS, G.U.I.L.T., and 'Spiders!' . Played some more over the weekend, that game is way too interesting and there's a good chance I'll never want to play a 'vanilla' game of Pandemic again.
Spoiler for January:
There is no way you should be able to name all of your diseases going by the rules

We named our Vomitoria, the Blue Plague and Rick's Disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

GrandpaPants posted:

How do you make an epic monster of a game more epic? Simple.

Twilight Imperium: Legacy.

First thought: No. Hell no. Hell loving no.

Second thought: Would that even work? Legacy mechanics assume you're playing every game to its completion, activating all the little "surprise" triggers along the way. Like, how often do TI3 games actually reach the designated endgame? Cuz I've never played, but I got the impression it usually ends with "oh gently caress it, you're about to win and it's four in the morning, let's call it."

Third thought: Also, Legacy games assume an extended, multi-game campaign within a reasonable time frame, usually with the same group of people. I don't think I've ever heard of a group that plays TI3 more than once a year.

Fourth thought: Okay, well, aren't those just design challenges? You could make a ruleset that can handle concessions and early ends, and you're not necessarily married to a concise campaign format.

Fifth thought: Yeah, but teaching the thing would be an awful nightmare. Risk/Pandemic get away with it because everyone knows risk, and Pandemic is reasonably popular and easy to teach. So with those two, you're mostly just teaching the Legacy part of the game. But again, TI3 is a game that rarely hits the table, and already has a steep learning curve. "Here newbie, ingest this brick of a game, and also note that we've stuck our dicks in it, and you'll have to figure out all the skewed board position poo poo we put in last time. Good luck!"

Sixth thought: Quit trying to design TI3 Legacy, brain. We're already behind at work.

sonatinas posted:

Mage Knight : Legacy. That Monastery you burned was actually over a hellmouth so endless demons will be coming out of it chasing you. At least you can level up faster.

Okay, this is a flat out No.

To paraphrase Rob Daviau's lecture at PRACTICE in 2013, Legacy design is all about letting your players be complicit in designing the final game.

After 56 years of game design advancements, I am reasonably certain I can design a better game than vanilla Risk. I am also certain I know Pandemic well enough to tweak it.

I'm not going to try and help design a Vlaada game. I am not that smart. (Hell, Paul Grogan struggles to design content for Mage Knight. And he's basically Vlaada's right hand man, from all appearances.)

Tekopo posted:

We named our Vomitoria, the Blue Plague and Rick's Disease

At work, we have Inbluenza, Kohlera, and Dysencherry. And, y'know, CoDA-403d.