Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I have not said anything remotely positive about super since july.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
They are retelling two entire movies. This is Dragon Ball. Did you really think they'd move through them that quickly?

They've done BoG and the start of RoF, plus several episodes that weren't from either of those in the same time as a single DBZ fight. All things considered, they are making pretty decent time.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I for one love arguing about this over and over

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Squall posted:

They've done BoG and the start of RoF, plus several episodes that weren't from either of those in the same time as a single DBZ fight. All things considered, they are making pretty decent time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

And they did BoG by stripping it of all the good moments and replacing it with god-knows what.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
chouzetsu mouzetsu dynamic let's go go dai panic makeretto musha buu ni

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Augus posted:

Man I was hoping that after not paying any attention for a few months DBSuper would be done with recapping the movies by now.
This is the slow burn to end all slow burns

The comic is only one (two?) chapters ahead of the Frieza revival arc. The show is rocking light speed compared to the pacing the manga is coming out at this rate, you are setting yourself up for a bigger fall.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Considering it's a monthly manga that's damning with faint praise.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Yeah but then what? What is Super gonna do when they run past those arcs, stop the show?

Toriyama's gonna either need to step up production or Toei needs to take time off, which is probably only gonna pissed off the people who have been putting up with DBS 'filler' just to get to what everyone actually wants.

It'll be like the Toonami '96 reruns all over again :allears:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The next arc after this should be battle of gods again.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If we compare this thing that sucks to this thing that sucks, then clearly the sucking cancels each other out

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Still not sure how anyone thought retelling not one but two movies that have come out in the past two years was ever considered a good way to start a series.

Also maybe my Dragon ball nostalgia has finally bottomed out but I'm not really feeling DBM's recent chapter at all. The most recent TFS was not good upon a rematch either.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
TFS at least are also clearly padding stuff out because they want episode 50 to be the grand finale of the Cell arc.

edit: right, episode 60. My bad.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 23, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
You mean episode 60 I am pretty sure since the last released episode is 50.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Just adapt each episode individually from now on and go to episode 98

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

You insufferable nerd

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Less of a false equivalence and more of a "what the gently caress did you actually expect."

Dragon Ball has never moved particularly fast through poo poo, what the gently caress made you expect them to move fast in Super?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Parrotine posted:

Yeah but then what? What is Super gonna do when they run past those arcs, stop the show?

Toriyama's gonna either need to step up production or Toei needs to take time off, which is probably only gonna pissed off the people who have been putting up with DBS 'filler' just to get to what everyone actually wants.

It'll be like the Toonami '96 reruns all over again :allears:

what does toriyama have to do with any of this

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Squall posted:

Less of a false equivalence and more of a "what the gently caress did you actually expect."

Dragon Ball has never moved particularly fast through poo poo, what the gently caress made you expect them to move fast in Super?

Even Super's been moving at the very least at a non-glacial pace compared to the original series. I mean hell, even in Kai just the battle against Freeza lasted a grand total of like 20 episodes. The original version lasted over 30 episodes. We're what, 15 episodes in with Super and they're already at the next arc? However small some may think it to be, it's a clear improvement. Yeah some episodes lasted longer than they needed to be but it's quite clear that the situation is not the worst it's gone through.

Adding to that we now have Jaco in the show.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Super is fine unless you're some kind of weirdo who can only watch a storyline once ever and must only ever consume 100% new media or you die.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Ruggington posted:

what does toriyama have to do with any of this

He's the story writer for Super. Individual episodes are written by other people but he's doing the story outline or whatever.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Super is fine unless you're some kind of weirdo who can only watch a storyline once ever and must only ever consume 100% new media or you die.

it's a problem when the conveyance of said storyline is poo poo, yes. Nobody ever complained about the fist of the north star movie just being a retelling.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

aers posted:

He's the story writer for Super. Individual episodes are written by other people but he's doing the story outline or whatever.

I assumed he would have finished whatever work he was doing

then again, anime production is a nightmare

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

aers posted:

It's obviously very vague since the fight's don't match up with his style at all(or standard of quality).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

It appears the reason Tagoma was spared in this version is because they are going to have Ginyu body swap him.

Ginyu will swap with Beerus. :)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't know why you're acting like that's the problem as opposed to the show's retelling just being bad.

it's not weird to want them to get to new content instead of poorly reanimating the movies with worse direction and writing

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I for one am excited for new dragon ball

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Me too!

That's why I wish they'd just do new dragon ball

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
:agreed:

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!
I just got some of these little inch-high DBZ figures from a friend of my sister's! They're tiny and cool and all the way back from 1989. I don't know what kind of sets they came in, either, or if they just were packaged individually in little coin machine balls or whatever because I've got characters from all across the spectrum from Spopovich and Janemba, and this incorrectly colored Android 19 whose face and hands are actually pink instead of clown white. It's weird. Probably the crown jewel in the set is the Gokule fusion character who only has, what, five seconds of screen time? They made a tiny little figure of him and now I have one somehow.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aurora posted:

I for one am excited for new dragon ball

I would also like some new Dragon Ball and not a retread of the bad Freeza movie

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean, RoF had some wonky pacing so maybe it could indeed stand to be extended.

Then again 2/3s of the movie is fight scenes which will probably end up being boring as heck.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Baal posted:

I would also like some new Dragon Ball and not a retread of the bad Freeza movie

Freeza movie was good.
It had lots of punching and lots of poo poo-talking

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I like Dragon Ball Super

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pyroi posted:

I like Dragon Ball Super

How dare you.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Pyroi posted:

I like Dragon Ball Super

So do I. The BoG stuff sucked, but the RoF stuff is already better than that w/ Jaco, Whis not spoiling the ending, and the possible Ginyu comeback.

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 23, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Augus posted:

Freeza movie was good.
It had lots of punching and lots of poo poo-talking

All of that was good in the first half then Gohan had to go super saiyan to beat a Zarbon level enemy and it just went down from there

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

All of that was good in the first half then Gohan had to go super saiyan to beat a Zarbon level enemy and it just went down from there

I really don't know why they had to go out the way to say he's 'as strong as Zarbon' when Piccolo went toe-to-toe with second form Frieza years ago, I don't really care about power level maths but that was insanely stupid

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I really don't know why they had to go out the way to say he's 'as strong as Zarbon' when Piccolo went toe-to-toe with second form Frieza years ago, I don't really care about power level maths but that was insanely stupid

He trained with Frieza and got hench.

DBM is hilarious right now. So some fans won Cameos for the original characters in DBM. They tried to trap Videl and got the poo poo kicked out of them.

The tears are amazing. "There's no way my (and I'm not making GBS threads you) Mage/Pokemon character would get chumped by an earthling as weak as Videl!"

Goddamn the DBM team deserve a medal for doing this.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Freeza is the only one who benefit from that training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I was pleasantly surprised to she kicked their asses

• Locked thread