Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I used a live linux mint USB to copy some files after my computer died and it was nice. Maybe 2015 will be the year of linux on my desktop??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

linux mint is poo poo. u cant polish a turd like linux

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Last Chance posted:

no it's cool, you're wrong.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Last Chance posted:

arguably true, but with windows 8 and 10 microsoft has managed to lower themselves to the same level of inconsistent ui and unpolished ux

linux would be starting to look like an acceptable alternative if win 10 wasn't free

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
like windows 10 even manages to have two different control panel apps with different behaviours and different things you can change in each, finally catching up with how bad Linux was like 15 years ago

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yea i will concede that it's hard to tell which is worse these days: windows or linux. windows has gotten so bad and buggy that you might actually be better off using linux nowadays.

as long as you're not doing something editing or listening to music.

also is win 10 actually free? like if i were an shsc guru buying the latest parts and getting the newest nvidia gt-x 9999 or whatever, can i just pick win 10 up from ms's website for free?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
they're actually asking around $200 for it if you don't have a previous windows version ready to go

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

like windows 10 even manages to have two different control panel apps with different behaviours and different things you can change in each, finally catching up with how bad Linux was like 15 years ago

lmao connecting to wifi has also become Linux level bad. the wifi selector won't even open half the time and the only fix is a restart or cmd magic. feels good. this is with wpa2 enterprise networks btw

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

they're actually asking around $200 for it if you don't have a previous windows version ready to go

OEM is $100, full is $120.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

my first was Red Hat 4.0. Had like 4 CD pack I got at some computer show in Canada.

also this: https://github.com/NARKOZ/hacker-scripts is the guy who invented

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pseudorandom name posted:

OEM is $100, full is $120.
except why the gently caress would you want the home version

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why the gently caress would you want the pro version?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
why would you want windows in your house?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's the Steam boot loader

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

it's the Steam boot loader

the steam bootloader is grub

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

but Linux has more games than ps4 6 months after launch. so why even need Windows

pram
Jun 10, 2001
linux? did you loving say linux?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
my favorite linux video game was a tetris clone that calculated the statistically worst block to give you. i think it was called "bastard tetris".

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I love tux racer

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

why the gently caress would you want the pro version?

yesterday i found out that even the pro version of windows 7 doesnt include the ability to mount an NFS drive

loving lmao windows, just fuckin lmao

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
to mount the NFS drive say "BING!"

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Bing is still the search engine for Siri.

How long until Shuttleworth makes Bing the default search engine for unity?

And then build in cortana integration for more revenue $$

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
lol bing is the search engine in thunderbird on kubuntu and google isnt even an option

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Lysidas posted:

bing thunderbird kubuntu

smdh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

yesterday i found out that even the pro version of windows 7 doesnt include the ability to mount an NFS drive

lol @ putting windows on a network sensitive enough to have exposed nfs shares

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol @ putting windows on a network sensitive enough to have exposed nfs shares

it's flattering how much you think of my home lan

pram
Jun 10, 2001
use AFP, the worlds most advanced network filesystem

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
tfw waiting for your hard drive to spin up to peep some pr0ns on the network hd

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

I love tux racer

this was my poo poo back when I got my first Ubuntu distro in the mail. back when they'd ship them around the world for free.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lol @ nfs tyool 2015

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

those of us who live above-ground want the benefits of things from the overworld such as sunlight and fresh air

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pram posted:

use AFP, the worlds most advanced network filesystem

so good and advanced they switched to samba as the default file sharing protocol a couple of years ago

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

those of us who live above-ground want the benefits of things from the overworld such as sunlight and fresh air

Macs in the front, linux in the back

Only people I see care about windows are olds and enterprise CJs (and gamers, i guess?)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
what do you run Exchange and AD on then

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

the cloud, dummy!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

the only people I've ever met who ran AD/Exchange at home where the most shut-inniest people

or real answer: slack

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

who needs them? just set up dovecot and slapd by hand to provide mail and directory services for yourself and your cats

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

exchange supports okta and oauth so you don't need AD. if, for some reason, you want AD, you can have that as a hosted service in azure

gently caress having windows inside the firewall, ever, for anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
least worst desktop experience