Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

freebooter posted:

But I'm on a generation ship kick at the moment after reading Aurora. Is The Book of the Long Sun worth reading for somebody who appreciated but ultimately disliked New Sun?
It's much tighter and more focused so I'd suggest at least trying it out. If you don't find yourself liking it during the first book it's probably safe to skip it, although each one deals with fairly different themes.

johnsonrod posted:

I must be the only person alive that doesn't like "The Lies Of Locke Lamora". I found it was a boring, generic fantasy, NOT VENICE, trope through all the typical fantasy bullshit and I quit it halfway though. I only bring this up because I've seen people recommend it over the last couple pages.

To counter those recommendations: It's a boring, lovely, subpar book and it's not very good.
I wouldn't say is bad but it definitely feels overrated. I found it a really enjoyable relaxatory page-turner, a good read but not something I'm likely to come back to.

e: Hooray for new title!

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

Read the summary for the Star Wars novel Darksaber. I can't believe I read the entire thing when I was a teenager. :barf:

My introduction to Star Wars novels was Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy. Encouraged by those, I went to the library and checked out Darksaber, Children of the Jedi, The Crystal Star, and KJA's entire Jedi Academy trilogy.

And I read them all. In retrospect, I spent a lot of time as a kid reading books (and playing games) that really weren't at all worth the time.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

johnsonrod posted:

I must be the only person alive that doesn't like "The Lies Of Locke Lamora". I found it was a boring, generic fantasy, NOT VENICE, trope through all the typical fantasy bullshit and I quit it halfway though. I only bring this up because I've seen people recommend it over the last couple pages.

To counter those recommendations: It's a boring, lovely, subpar book and it's not very good.

I also didn't like it but I don't bother to bring that up here often

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Pierson posted:

Are any of the non-Frank Herbert Dune books any good? Starting a re-read of the series, halfway through Dune and it is still super loving good. I know they brought KJA in to write them after he popped it, that does not fill me with confidence.

I asked the YOSPOS sci-fi thread too and they said buy them but I believe those rascals are playing a prank on me.
Hell, many of the Frank Herbert Dune books aren't any good. Exactly where you should stop is a different matter and it's really up to you but the answer is definitely "before Brian and KJA get their hands on it."

Find a place that works for you and if you still want more Frank Herbert read The Godmakers or Destination: Void.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nakar posted:

Hell, many of the Frank Herbert Dune books aren't any good. Exactly where you should stop is a different matter and it's really up to you but the answer is definitely "before Brian and KJA get their hands on it."

Find a place that works for you and if you still want more Frank Herbert read The Godmakers or Destination: Void.

The book I prefer to stop at is Dune

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Nakar posted:

The canonical answer is to stop reading when you stop enjoying them, because once that happens there will not be a later point at which you start enjoying them again. (I read the whole thing when I was young, i.e. all the Frank Herbert ones because no non-Frank ones existed yet, but gently caress if I can remember much about the last couple.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The non Frank Dune books are so stupid. Probably the best example is that they for some reason retcon the bull that Leto's father killed into some weird insect creature. It was a completely unnecessary change that didn't add anything to the series.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also Tleilaxu farting with the Baron.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

LeGuin, Gaiman. For LeGuin start with the Earthsea Trilogy and also try The Dispossessed. For Gaiman read Stardust and Neverwhere and if you like those read all of Sandman (Sandman is his best work but it's a big investment in time and money).

I'd also recommend just hunting up everything Zelazny ever wrote. Look up Isle of the Dead if you haven't, it's his best work people don't read (it lost the Nebula to LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness).

If you don't mind a slightly pseudo-archaic style (and you don't, if you like Lord of Light) Lord Dunsany (who both Gaiman and LeGuin consciously imitated). Start with Idle Days on the Yann.

Terry Pratchett's writing style isn't the rung-bell clarity of LeGuin or Zelazny but it's very well written in its own way, much more like Wodehouse say.

Gene Wolfe has a great prose style but he's not as good at like "plotting" or "storytelling." He tends to have to publish an extra book at the end of each series to explain what the hell actually happened between all the enigmatic events and ambiguously symbolic characters.

China Mieville has an interesting prose style but it's very I-am-a-graduate-student-in-english-literature-and-I-use-a-thesaurus overwrought, like if Lovecraft had a Ph.D. in critical marxist theory instead of being racist. Very good but be prepared for lots of words like "liminal." (If you like that sort of thing, the Gormenghast trilogy might be another good pick, esp. as a case study in setting).

Guy Gavriel Kay is pretty drat solid as a prose stylist (especially in Lions of Al-Rassan) and has moments where he's right up there with Zelazny. He's also really good with character and story and plot, so overall he's a great choice. His books tend to be 'fantasy version of a historical novel/setting," so there's some variation in quality depending on how cool the setting he picks is -- Lions I particularly like because it's set in a fantasy version of Reconquista era Spain which is a great and under-used setting.

Jack Vance is frequently pointed to as a good prose stylist but personally I think he's overrated. He's really good at writing witty dialogue between witty characters, and he can come up with interesting settings, but most of his characters and stories blend together and are kindof indistinguishable from one another if you read them all.

If you don't mind what some would call "cultural appropriation" or even "Orientalism" but I call "a work of genius", Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds is one of the most beautiful and happiest and most wonderful books you will ever read in your life. The prose style is slightly mannered but, again, if you liked a book that was simultaneously modeled on the Upanishads and an extended pun around the phrase "that was when the fit hit the Shan," you'll almost certainly like this one also.

edit: Susannah Clarke's Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell is very well written in a pseudo-Austenish sort of way. Her husband/life partner Colin Greenland also has a solid novel in Harm's Way but it's more steampunk-spelljammer than it is fantasy.

Tim Powers is another really good writer but his books are hard to categorize, though they sortof fall into fantasy by default because they have too much supernatural stuff to be historical fiction. Declare is a brilliant cold war spy novel and work of historical fiction that also happens to feature magic and demons etc. On Stranger Tides is a brilliant pirate voodoo zombie historical novel (they bought the rights for the movie).

Awesome post, thank you. Will definitely check out Isle of the Dead,. To be honest, even though Lord of Light is one of my most loved novels, I remember really disliking Chronicles of Amber, which just seemed generic sword and sorcery stuff. Still well-written for episodic fantasy, but a bit cringe-inducing. It also struck me as more of a light read and not having anywhere near the literary weight of Lord of Light. Since then I've thought that Zelazny might be a hit and miss sort of author and have been a bit hesitant about diving into the rest of his work.

I do have Book of the New Sun sitting on my Kindle at the moment actually so I might give that one a go next.

Nakar posted:

Wolfe and Mieville can be a bit flowery but I find them to be generally clear beyond matters of vocabulary, and Wolfe often uses a specific obscure word to convey an intentionally ambiguous image. Peake is something I've had to struggle through and I can't recommend it unless you have a strong interest in the history of the genre, although I'm not sure how much of that is the prose style and how much of that is nothing loving happening (also Titus is kind of a little bitch). Either way I'd agree to go with Le Guin and Zelazny if you want prose that's good and also entirely readable.

I think your tolerance for Gormenghast really comes down to your liking of the Gothic setting..personally I never found the first couple of books dry or overwrought but then I do really like gothic literature in general. TItus Alone is a different story of course and is one novel I will never bother rereading.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

I think your tolerance for Gormenghast really comes down to your liking of the Gothic setting..personally I never found the first couple of books dry or overwrought but then I do really like gothic literature in general. TItus Alone is a different story of course and is one novel I will never bother rereading.

Peake came down with Lewy body dementia while he was writing Titus Alone. The book is a perfect study of how the condition afflicts the mind.

You may want to check out Titus Awakes, however. Only a fragment of it is Peake; the bulk of the writing was completed by his widow from his initial outline. The plot is crazy, but it's more readable.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Awesome post, thank you. Will definitely check out Isle of the Dead,. To be honest, even though Lord of Light is one of my most loved novels, I remember really disliking Chronicles of Amber, which just seemed generic sword and sorcery stuff. Still well-written for episodic fantasy, but a bit cringe-inducing. It also struck me as more of a light read and not having anywhere near the literary weight of Lord of Light. Since then I've thought that Zelazny might be a hit and miss sort of author and have been a bit hesitant about diving into the rest of his work.

Zelazny was a deliberately experimental writer so almost every single one of his books is profoundly different from the others in a lot of ways. Each one is sortof a gamble but only because Zelazny himself was generally taking a gamble and sometimes his gambles don't work.

That said, the Amber books were almost certainly intended as a pure potboiler cash grab; you can literally watch him making up the plot as he goes along. He got what he wanted and they were his most popular works by far, but yeah, they're also his most generic.

Other "Good Zelazny" to try: Creatures of Light and Darkness (very weird; each chapter is written in a different form, i.e., play, lyric poem, epic poem, etc); A Night in the Lonesome October (written from the viewpoint of Jack the Ripper's dog).

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Zelazny was a deliberately experimental writer so almost every single one of his books is profoundly different from the others in a lot of ways. Each one is sortof a gamble but only because Zelazny himself was generally taking a gamble and sometimes his gambles don't work.

That said, the Amber books were almost certainly intended as a pure potboiler cash grab; you can literally watch him making up the plot as he goes along. He got what he wanted and they were his most popular works by far, but yeah, they're also his most generic.

Other "Good Zelazny" to try: Creatures of Light and Darkness (very weird; each chapter is written in a different form, i.e., play, lyric poem, epic poem, etc); A Night in the Lonesome October (written from the viewpoint of Jack the Ripper's dog).

It feels weird to me that Moorcock was such a contemporary of Zelazny's, an architect of the New Wave, and yet also the write a novel in a weekend guy. I suppose some of that was 'demystify the craft and focus on ideas' in a way that wasn't 'all stories are engineering problems' but it still always strikes me when reading authors from that period.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

occamsnailfile posted:

It feels weird to me that Moorcock was such a contemporary of Zelazny's, an architect of the New Wave, and yet also the write a novel in a weekend guy. I suppose some of that was 'demystify the craft and focus on ideas' in a way that wasn't 'all stories are engineering problems' but it still always strikes me when reading authors from that period.

That was just to pay the bills - his and New Worlds' - I think he said that his first really serious novels were the Jerry Cornelius quartet; everything before was at least partly commercial.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Titus Alone isn't even available on Kindle. If you wanted to check it out, you'd have to order an old, used copy of the book like I did, or else get the one-volume edition of the trilogy in hard copy.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Unpopular opinion: Dune is a bad fantasy book with a simplistic battle between good and evil, unmemorable characters and lots of weird nerd fetishism about badass desert warriors. I particularly liked the head of the evil clan whom you could tell was evil, see, because he was a fat, corpulent pedophile.

Jedit posted:

Peake came down with Lewy body dementia while he was writing Titus Alone. The book is a perfect study of how the condition afflicts the mind.

You may want to check out Titus Awakes, however. Only a fragment of it is Peake; the bulk of the writing was completed by his widow from his initial outline. The plot is crazy, but it's more readable.

I found Titus Alone fascinating because it's difficult to tell how much of it was affected by his deteriorating mind and how much of it was always supposed to be a very different, very strange book. For the first two books it feels like Gormenghast is the only solidly real thing in the world, and anything beyond is just a dream; then in Titus Alone it feels like maybe Gormenghast was only ever a dream.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
I just finished Snow Crash (Neal Stephenson) for the first time in my life and came away with a pleasant feeling. It took a long time for me to get into it but once the Sumerian stuff started coming out the pace picked up and I couldn't set it down.

This is in contrast to Station Eleven (Emily St. John Mandel) which I did not enjoy. Once I reached the end of the book and was greeted with ten "questions for discussion" I realised why. The switching back and forth between random characters and times meant it was hard for me to really connect with any one character. The storytelling is there, for sure, but there are so many threads that none of them feel properly fleshed out. I wanted to know more about everything and in the end that only happened with Clark, who is definitely the best character.

After that I read A Dance of Cloaks (David Dalgish) and I can confirm it is total poo poo. Senseless violence, a jumped up 13 year old with even more superpowers than Kvothe and absolutely no character development. The very opposite of Lies of Locke Lamora.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The premiere of The Expanse is now available to watch legally on most streaming services. Here is a youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZeQD1Vf2s

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

muscles like this? posted:

The non Frank Dune books are so stupid. Probably the best example is that they for some reason retcon the bull that Leto's father killed into some weird insect creature. It was a completely unnecessary change that didn't add anything to the series.

KJA and Brian Herbert still maintain that everything they're writing is based on thousands of pages of notes Frank Herbert left. Because I'm sure Frank intended for his magnum opus to end with a good Paul ghola fighting an evil Paul ghola and Duncan Idaho becoming Ghola Jesus.

Actually that last part isn't so far-fetched considering Heretics and Chapterhouse...

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

freebooter posted:

Unpopular opinion: Dune is a bad fantasy book with a simplistic battle between good and evil, unmemorable characters and lots of weird nerd fetishism about badass desert warriors. I particularly liked the head of the evil clan whom you could tell was evil, see, because he was a fat, corpulent pedophile.

The thing that struck me when I re-read Dune a couple of years ago is how little happens on-screen. The entire book is a series of conversations between two characters, who describe amazing things happening... somewhere else.

Herbert created a hugely imaginative setting but Dune often feels like a screenplay for a low-budget sci-fi miniseries that can't afford any decent props.

Mandatory Assembly fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Nov 23, 2015

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

UncleSmoothie posted:

Herbert created a hugely imaginative setting but Dune often feels like a screenplay for a low-budget sci-fi miniseries that can't afford any decent props.

Which is why the SciFi miniseries worked as well as it did - they did it like a stage production.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

UncleSmoothie posted:

The thing that struck me when I re-read Dune a couple of years ago is how little happens on-screen. The entire book is a series of conversations between two characters, who describe amazing things happening... somewhere else.

That's pretty much Herbert's MO. Read his non-Dune works and it's very similar in many cases. He was interested in systems (political systems, ecological systems, etc.) and his work reflects what he was interested in.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
A lot of Frank's The Dosadi Experiment takes place in alien legal courts or between two people talking privately, if I remember correctly.

Yuppie Scum
Nov 28, 2003

Fortune and glory, kids. Fortune and glory.

General Battuta posted:

Buy my book :10bux: :10bux: it is called The Traitor Baru Cormorant and I wrote it for you :shobon:

I did, I read it, I loved it, I recommend it, DO IT.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

freebooter posted:

I found Titus Alone fascinating because it's difficult to tell how much of it was affected by his deteriorating mind and how much of it was always supposed to be a very different, very strange book. For the first two books it feels like Gormenghast is the only solidly real thing in the world, and anything beyond is just a dream; then in Titus Alone it feels like maybe Gormenghast was only ever a dream.
I don't think Titus Alone is an unfinished book, so it's hard for me to think Peake didn't know what he was doing, though he may not have "finished" Titus Alone the way he would've intended were he in better health. It reads like it's meant to be the exact opposite of the two books that take place in Gormenghast. First two books are long, third book is short. First two books approach imagery from exhaustive angles, third book uses one descriptive image for things if it uses any at all (admittedly one could argue Peake was going to back and add more detail but he didn't). Gormenghast is improbable but solid, the city is grounded in science but is staged like a dream (that, as you said, Titus isn't sure isn't reality after all). Gormenghast is sexless and obligatory, the city is passionate but has no purpose. Titus does nothing unless forced to in the second book, does things without understanding why in the third. First two books are all about stagnancy and tradition and everything being old but resilient, third book is about everything being innovative and new but fragile; things are constantly being broken or destroyed in Titus Alone and forgotten about where the destruction of things in the prior books was always played up as tragic and irreversible.

It's telling that Titus Alone has almost twice as many chapter breaks as Gormenghast but is something like 1/3 as long. I don't think that was unintentional. If Peake was serious about the series being about Titus's entire life then it makes sense he'd be contrasting the stagnant feeling of the gothic era and the meaningless newness of the 20th century in the early episodes so that Titus comes to understand both why he hates Gormenghast and why he needed it. We just never ended up getting the payoff on it later in his life. I'm not sure I'd say it's a better book than Gormenghast, but it was refreshing to have to cap off the previous books. It's a situation where I can appreciate Peake's designs but I just am not a huge fan of the work as an actual story. But at the same time I have to forgive it somewhat because of when he wrote, and what he was emulating; I'm just not a big fan of the genre he was referencing.

Also the continuity error in the courtroom scene, however amusing, reminds me of Peake's errors elsewhere.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
My last two posts in this thread have been really cynical so here's some balance:

Emma Newman's Planetfall is a good read with a really unusual character driving the plot. One of the best things I've read this year.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Kesper North posted:

The premiere of The Expanse is now available to watch legally on most streaming services. Here is a youtube link:

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Too much for Globalization, uh?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Amberskin posted:

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Too much for Globalization, uh?

We can handle Canada, if that helps: http://www.space.ca/show/the-expanse/episode/dulcinea/694196/

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Shab posted:

A lot of Frank's The Dosadi Experiment takes place in alien legal courts or between two people talking privately, if I remember correctly.

It was a lot of talking privately--in a setting that was specifically called out as being massively overcrowded with scarce resources. I've never been able to get all the way through Dune but the Fremen and the Dosadi were both members of an outsider group that lived in extremely harsh conditions, and once they were unleashed upon the rest of civilization they steamrolled all those soft lazy well-fed folks. I'm not a huge Herbert fan obviously though that's more from not really digging his writing style than anything.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Problem fixed. I created a VPN account just to watch that. And I'll probably pay for it because my netflix account will multiply by +10 just for eight more bucks.

By the way, this series is going to be good. And Miller is really Miller.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Khizan posted:

The book I prefer to stop at is Dune

This. I can't even return to the second and third Herbert Dune novels.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Kesper North posted:

That was really good!

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Can anyone recommend me one of them space books featuring a non-antagonistic alien hivemind? I'm just curious to see what one would look like, I'm in the mood for some good and/or bad science fiction and virtually every hivemind I've read about ends up locked in an ideologically inevitable conflict with humanity as an allegory for something or other. Are friendly hiveminds a thing in sci-fi, or should I give up my hopes of reading about Spaceman Spiff sharing a drink with Xothgor the Galactic Swarm?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Doctor Soup posted:

Can anyone recommend me one of them space books featuring a non-antagonistic alien hivemind? I'm just curious to see what one would look like, I'm in the mood for some good and/or bad science fiction and virtually every hivemind I've read about ends up locked in an ideologically inevitable conflict with humanity as an allegory for something or other. Are friendly hiveminds a thing in sci-fi, or should I give up my hopes of reading about Spaceman Spiff sharing a drink with Xothgor the Galactic Swarm?

The Tines in Vernor Venge's A Fire Upon the Deep maybe? Not really a species-wide hive mind, though. I don't want to spell it out completely because figuring out what the hell is going on in the first few chapters is part of the fun.

The Conjoiners in Alistair Reynold's Revelation Space series and related works aren't aliens but are pretty well fleshed out and about as sympathetic as any other faction.

I feel like I'm forgetting something really obvious...

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Doctor Soup posted:

The Buggers from the Ender's Game series eventually become friendly. Also, it's a webcomic, and the hivemind is human, but one of the characters from A Miracle of Science is a representative of a telepathic superintelligence distributed throughout the entire population of Mars.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 25, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doctor Soup posted:

Maybe Serpent's Reach, by CJ Cherryh?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Doctor Soup posted:

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke presents joining the hive mind as the next step in human evolution. It's sort of hard not to feel uneasy about it as a regular old human reader, but I guess the entire point of ascending to a higher plane of existence is that it's going to be very alien and daunting.

It's also IMO his best book, at least of the ones I've read.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shab posted:

And that legal system is deeply ingrained into the society of a species of viciously murderous frog people. As bizarre as Whipping Star is, Dosadi is weirder.

Gowachin.

Accept no substitute in your fiction.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

freebooter posted:

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke presents joining the hive mind as the next step in human evolution. It's sort of hard not to feel uneasy about it as a regular old human reader, but I guess the entire point of ascending to a higher plane of existence is that it's going to be very alien and daunting.

It's also IMO his best book, at least of the ones I've read.

Is this book standalone or part of a necessary series?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Drifter posted:

Is this book standalone or part of a necessary series?
Standalone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also it is going to be a miniseries in a couple of weeks on Syfy.