Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tagichatn posted:

Robyn is abusive as hell towards her brother and an rear end in a top hat to Jessica (for the wrong reasons), is there any reason to like her?

She helps Malcolm be a better person, and her last words were funny. However, she was annoying most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I felt sorry for her despite her horribleness because she was clearly legitimately mentally ill.

Malcolm was already a good person though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Piell posted:

I thought it was interesting there wasn't any sexualization of women (Jessica is basically fulled clothed the entire time, except for sex scenes), but Luke Cage was shirtless about half the time he was onscreen.

Marvel is all about pleasing the ladies. Think of how often Thor or Cap is shirtless compared to Black Widow or Scarlett Witch.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

Marvel is all about pleasing the ladies. Think of how often Thor or Cap is shirtless compared to Black Widow or Scarlett Witch.

It kind of sucks finding yourself on the losing side of a double standard when you put it this way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

I felt sorry for her despite her horribleness because she was clearly legitimately mentally ill.

Malcolm was already a good person though.

He was about to leave until he was willing to admit to her what he did and let her say goodbye.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I thought Robyn was overbearing because she was used to taking care of her brother who seemed a little...slow. Not saying she's a good person but I didn't find her annoying.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I wish everyone left in that apartment building would leave or die and be replaced with white men who had strong jawlines and dark hair.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Junkfist posted:

I wish everyone left in that apartment building would leave or die and be replaced with white men who had strong jawlines and dark hair.

Can they love America and take pills that are in the United States colors?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Man that loves America and Freedom killed by a red pill

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

Man that loves America and Freedom killed by a red pill

No he killed by a women who stole his power and then has to rescued by his bros.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If it wasn't for the reds the woman would never have had the power to stop him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

If it wasn't for the reds the woman would never have had the power to stop him.

Better dead then red

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I know it's a reference to the actual comic book because he's taking pills that are red , white , and blue, but seriously the fact that the MRA forums on Reedit are called the RedPill is a funny coincidence.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's a really good show, at least as good as Daredevil. But it's flaws are more glaring than those in Daredevil.

It does make me very happy that I'm not the sort of person to dwell on specific flaws when the whole is so good.

Also, I have to say that a whole bunch of Doctor Who fans only just now realizing that The Doctor is a delusional narcissist because Tennant played a delusional narcissist in this does make me chuckle a little bit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Elucidarius posted:

Funny thing is I noticed in the beginning of the season she actually had Wild Turkey (specifically at Luke's bar), but towards the end it was replaced with Wild Fowl.

Pretty sure it's a joke about how she's buying cheap, knockoff stuff.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Proposition Joe posted:

Um no? It's important that her character works through and overcomes her trauma. All you people hating on Robyn are hosed up individuals jeeze.

TVIV is being TVIV, just let it work itself out.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Uh, episode 10 started off really strong but now it's going off the rails. Random white horses, inexplicable murder confessions, and ridiculously contrived arguments? What's going on?

Trying to finish so I can actually read the thread.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Haha that was the stupidest way for Killgrave to escape the apartment ever. Literally every person in that scene was acting in a stupid way. I feel safe saying now that the creepy sister neighbor is the most annoying and bizarre character.

Hopefully this episode is a fluke, I've never seen such a drop in quality during one season of a show, or even within ONE EPISODE of a show.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I like that part even if it's bad, because it's so true to the spirit of the comic.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PunkBoy posted:

1x05

I loved the shot Kilgrave just staring at his phone waiting for a picture of Jessica to show up. It really sold how twisted his relationship/feelings about Jessica are. Really the whole entire one-sided phone conversation was absolutely chilling and done fantastically.

Overall, I'm loving it so far.

I'm a big fan of the bit where Kilgrave looks down at phone bemused, types in "bitches, right?" And then looks up again smiling

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

My anesthesiologist friend says propofol would have been easier to get anyways. I guess it's like the methylamine in Breaking Bad: they had to make it something hard to get for dramatic purposes, even if it's not the most realistic.

Yeah, it's still kind of silly, Hey, guess what morphine and heroin were used for back in the day? There's a possibility they might have OD'd Killgrave by using them, but that's the case with any anesthetic. That's why you don't see hordes of anesthesiologists at the unemployment office.

Also an issue I had with Hogarth around episode 11. What was the reason for screwing over her secretary/fiance there? It seems really dumb and out of nowhere, just for Hogarth to be evil. I get it, Hogarth is a manipulative rear end in a top hat.

It seems like an open and shut defense case. The secretary walked in, saw her fiance's ex attacking her fiance with a knife, so she hit her fiance's ex with a lamp, and the ex fell and hit her head on a coffee table. Hogarth was covered in cuts at the scene of the crime.

Especially since Hogarth's ex was blackmailing Hogarth and threatening to get Hogarth disbarred on ethics grounds, and her secretary/fiance has copies of the same blackmail info as the former ex.

I get that Hogarth doesn't want to admit weakness by saying she was mind controlled, and that she uses people and discards them. But if you're going to throw someone under a bus, the lover that screens your mail for blackmail material probably isn't the best choice.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 23, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Considering that they had to find a completely 100% soundproof chamber to keep him in after capture, I don't think "earplugs" is as simple a solution as everyone thinks it is. I just wish the show had actually done this because otherwise they were pretty good about having Jessica and the crew think their plans through.

You don't even need earplugs, just send some people who don't understand English after him. :v:

Crow_Robot posted:

The easiest way to neutralize Kilgrave would have been to just loving kill him in the first Goddamn place. Use a loving sniper rifle, who gives a gently caress. If you want to leave him alive in the first time through some futile quest to 'save Hope' fine but after he escapes once and more people die just loving kill his rear end Jesus Christ.

100% agree. Which is why I was laughing really hard when Hope killed herself in ep 10. Even she understood that her life wasn't worth saving if it meant that Kilgrave could be free. Everyone that died after the first time Kilgrave got away is 100% your fault Jessica. You are a bad person. Even worse is that she was stopping Simpson from killing him.

Avalerion posted:

1x3 If Jessica had a gun when she found him in that apartment she could have shot him right there and it would have been over. Like what he does is super horrible but I'm not really buying him as a credible threat.

:glomp:

thrakkorzog posted:

Also an issue I had with Hogarth around episode 11. What was the reason for screwing over her secretary/fiance there? It seems really dumb and out of nowhere, just for Hogarth to be evil. I get it, Hogarth is a manipulative rear end in a top hat.

It seems like an open and shut defense case. The secretary walked in, saw her fiance's ex attacking her fiance with a knife, so she hit her fiance's ex with a lamp, and the ex fell and hit her head on a coffee table. Hogarth was covered in cuts at the scene of the crime.

Especially since Hogarth's ex was blackmailing Hogarth and threatening to get Hogarth disbarred on ethics grounds, and her secretary/fiance has copies of the same blackmail info as the former ex.

I get that Hogarth doesn't want to admit weakness by saying she was mind controlled, and that she uses people and discards them. But if you're going to throw someone under a bus, the lover that screens your mail for blackmail material probably isn't the best choice.

that was also a really stupid part.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Nov 23, 2015

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

From a feminist perspective, Kilgrave is such a perfect antagonist, too...it's shockingly efficient. He's a rapist, a domestic abuser, he infantilizes Jessica in a gilded cage version of her childhood home, he embodies the objectifying male gaze by surveilling her with cameras at every turn. They even have Nice Guy male entitlement when he explains his fuckery as a romantic gesture.

There's even the part where he uses his leverage to force Jessica to send pics every day, like a high school senior sexting with a freshman. He's a straight-up feminist bogeyman..."smile."

Xealot fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 23, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Xealot posted:

From a feminist perspective, Kilgrave is such a perfect antagonist, too...it's shockingly efficient. He's a rapist, a domestic abuser, he infantilizes Jessica in a gilded cage version of her childhood home, he embodies the objectifying male gaze by surveilling her with cameras at every turn. They even have Nice Guy male entitlement when he explains his fuckery as a romantic gesture.

There's even the part where he uses his leverage to force Jessica to send pics every day, like a high school senior sexting with a freshman. He's a straight-up feminist bogeyman..."smile."

Which is why it's so satisfying when he's visibly deflated when he meets the person Jessica chose to be with. It's such a perfect moment in this show.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Season wide spoilers:
I really like how they portrayed how terrifying 'real' mind control can be. Pretty sure that's why no-one believed it was real too especially with all the Avengers poo poo going on. You'd expect someone to have red glowing eyes with a halo around them going "Yes master, slave obeys, all hail Doom". Instead all he needs to do is say is a simple command and it's just like they would have decided to do it themselves. The scene with the newspaper salesman really stuck out.
Kilgrave didn't even register him existing until he pulled on his arm, and the nonchalant/slightly irritated way he was just looking for a tool for the guy to maim himself with instead of noticing him was spooky good.
:geno: "Pick up that coffee. Throw it in your face."

Also the constant pissing themselves felt maybe a bit gratuitous but it did a good job selling how powerful it was. "When Kilgrave says work non-stop it means non-stop. The place smelled of piss and poo poo, some had fainted"
It's not implied as much in the show, but the fact that he can also force stockholm syndrome on you really scared the poo poo out of me reading the comic.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gaunab posted:

I thought Robyn was overbearing because she was used to taking care of her brother who seemed a little...slow. Not saying she's a good person but I didn't find her annoying.

He wasn't slow. He was her exact opposite personality-wise. She even says so when she tells Malcolm they were GeminiPisces, two fish swimming in a circle. Yin and Yang, but flipped from the traditional associations.

They complemented each other. She kept his pure nature from being taken advantage of, and he kept her from being a monster.

EDIT: VVV Thanks. Fixed.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 23, 2015

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

flosofl posted:

He wasn't slow. He was her exact opposite personality-wise. She even says so when she tells Malcolm they were Gemini, two fish swimming in a circle. Yin and Yang, but flipped from the traditional associations.

They complimented each other. She kept his pure nature from being taken advantage of, and he kept her from being a monster.

PIsces, because they were a water sign.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I think people are overdoing a bit when they are calling Jessica a bad person for wanting to prove someone's innocense
and blaming her for everything is just misrepresentative

(even if the plot had to find a way to keep going)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean, there are a whole lot more people than just Hope who would be vindicated by exposing Kilgrave's powers to the world.

It's kind of moot by the end of the season, since at this point there are vast swaths of victims, including police, who would be able to give reliable testimony about their ordeal.

What Jessica should've done was to let Simpson fall to his death that first time she found Kilgrave in the apartment, in order to drug him. Simpson's life would've been a much smaller price to pay than the casualties that came after. :buddy:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Piell posted:

I thought it was interesting there wasn't any sexualization of women (Jessica is basically fulled clothed the entire time, except for sex scenes), but Luke Cage was shirtless about half the time he was onscreen.
It's a show about consent and control; it's such a good loving touch that they didn't do this. Like, Jessica gets hurt, but we don't see a gratuitous panty shot with her taking off her pants, we just see the wound in focus. I mean, there's multiple sex scenes in the show, but in them the women are always depicted as having power and agency. It's nice.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Which is why it's so satisfying when he's visibly deflated when he meets the person Jessica chose to be with. It's such a perfect moment in this show.

That's a good point. I think the fact Kilgrave had no idea Luke was an impervious metal skin man on first meeting makes it even more palpable. Kilgrave's entire narrative for his relationship with Jessica is that they mutually crave a partner who's exceptional, another ubermensch to match their respective greatness. The reality Jessica chose some pleb instead shatters that entire illusion.

You could definitely read a racist element into Kilgrave's deflated reaction. His tastes are all super elitist, from his clothes to his choice of apartment, so the fact Jessica chose a working class black man over him probably adds to the man pain.

Also, I'm laughing my rear end off at the realization that Simpson was a decent guy who ate pussy and kept it light until he ingested a Red Pill that turned him into a raging, chauvinist rear end in a top hat. MRA's in a nutshell.

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
Binge-watched Friday night and Saturday morning. Tough show to get through, but a really good show nonetheless.

I thought KR did a great job of portraying PTSD and haven't seen much talk about the underlying question through the series, "what price would you pay to stop this homicidal maniac?"

Trish even brings it up in one of the last episodes again, "Is stopping him worth a litter of puppies?" Hope sacrifices her life so that JJ has no reason to let him live anymore. He's leaving a trail of messed up people/dead bodies all over the place. What price will JJ pay to stop him? There are all sorts of themes that go with this, such as survivor's guilt, PTSD, etc... but it seems to be the big question. Who would you sacrifice to stop someone like this form using and/or killing more and more people? JJ sacrifices just about everything in the end.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Final episode

Is it that Jessica was still immune to Kilgrave or was she able to kill him because he hadnt specifically instructed not to kill him?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
1x13

She was still immune and just rusing the poo poo out of him. She ignored a direct command from him right before she broke his neck. Also she said "I love you" to Trish, which was their code for "I'm not under his control."

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 23, 2015

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Whalley posted:

It's a show about consent and control; it's such a good loving touch that they didn't do this. Like, Jessica gets hurt, but we don't see a gratuitous panty shot with her taking off her pants, we just see the wound in focus. I mean, there's multiple sex scenes in the show, but in them the women are always depicted as having power and agency. It's nice.

It's also kind of hilarious knowing that if it was a feature film rather than a Netflix series, the MPAA probably would have demanded that the scene of Trish receiving oral sex be cut in order to preserve an R rating. Neat how far ahead of Hollywood they are sometimes.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
101 - Hope literally had purple baggage before killing her parents.

102 - Luke Cage casually taking a bottle to the neck. Sweet Christmas.

104 - "I want a divorce." No poo poo. This whole gifted plotline's kind of a misfire.

105 - "You like Chinese food." Not, "You like Chinese food, don't you?" or "Do you like Chinese food?" No. You do.

106 - Angela Del Toro. White Tiger?

107 - I think that homeless guy at the start is Bendis, ...?

112 - Hand in the blender! Shears!!!

Overall, I came out of this feeling about the same as I did after reading Alias and The Pulse. Jessica's a great character that fills a really nice little niche in the Marvel universe, but I'm more interested in seeing her interact with other characters moving forward than I am in seeing another season, or reading another title, that focuses on her.

Jessica Jones: gently caress Doors, gently caress Brits, gently caress Needles.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The Sharmat posted:

And she's the real hero of the show for getting this and killing herself in an extremely painful way to free Jessica to do what needs to be done.

Yep. Hero of the show right there.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Inkspot posted:

106 - Angela Del Toro. White Tiger?

Yup, cool little reference.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

100% agree. Which is why I was laughing really hard when Hope killed herself in ep 10. Even she understood that her life wasn't worth saving if it meant that Kilgrave could be free. Everyone that died after the first time Kilgrave got away is 100% your fault Jessica. You are a bad person. Even worse is that she was stopping Simpson from killing him.

God drat it, I don't want to agree with DP, but here I am. I hated her character half way through this for this loving reason.

I can't wait for the Luke Cage show however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Deathplague Was Right