Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm baffled as to why people keep engaging with Fishmech.

I think that the name change got him removed from ignore lists and people weren't sure if it was him or someone grabbing the name to mock him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
being white is a privilege

owning a gun is also a privilege

being white and owning a gun a double privilege

but being black and owning a gun is just one privilege not two

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Does it already get audited like multiple times per year? Is this the common GOP belief that if no wrongdoing was found, the investigation never took place?

The Fed got audited as part of Dodd-Frank, you can read the whole thing right here. Really thrilling stuff.

Litany Unheard posted:

There are a number of exceptions written into law that protects information from being released/disclosed by an audit of the Federal Reserve. Here's what's currently excluded from an audit:

I suppose the argument for keeping this info privileged is that the Fed needs to do some things behind closed doors in order for their actions to be effective, or so that their actions can be done free from too much political pressure.

It's important to keep things like open market operations and member bank reserves etc confidential because those things, if public, could cause a loss in confidence in the banking system and lead to a panic or a run on a specific institution. The confidentiality wrt transactions with foreign central banks is probably there for a similar reason but for stability in the currency markets.

e: Bernouts if you like reading that audit you can thank Bernie Samblers for that he's the one who tacked it on

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

I think that the name change got him removed from ignore lists and people weren't sure if it was him or someone grabbing the name to mock him

No his original account got hosed up somehow from being trained to coupons/the gas chamber (or he forgot the password) which the new admin fixed for him.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Ignore lists are for the weak.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Fishmech has done nothing wrong

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

That was from last week and he's already walked back the position and is pretending like he never said anything about that.

Meg From Family Guy posted:

Fishmech has done nothing wrong

I'm not sure why people dislike Fishmech's posts. Some of the arguments can get pedantic but the majority of the time they are factually accurate and facilitate discussion, at least in the last few months.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Ignore lists are for the weak.

Agreed. Post with Honor.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mitt Romney posted:

I'm not sure why people dislike Fishmech's posts. Some of the arguments can get pedantic but the majority of the time they are factually accurate and facilitate discussion, at least in the last few months.
In short, he's combative, dismissive of opposing points of view, and regularly demands that people who oppose his point of view supply proof while providing none himself.

He's still not that bad a poster though.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You may want to avoid visiting the Capitol then.

I approve of Zeus George Washington casting a chill eye over his freaky harem.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Negativity doesn't facilitate discussion and Fishmech always gives off the sense that he'd really like to just drop the act and call you a pussy bitchboy queer.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

Here's a list of every citizen of the country. It's also the list of everyone who should need actual, specific reasons to have a gun, and the list of everyone who shouldn't be able to get a gun just willy nilly. And it's the list of people who it's ok to refuse to allow a gun sale to.

This is what I don't get with your disregard for the 5th Amendment/due process in re: linking gun purchases to the terrorist watchlist in the now, whatever your ultimate vision for American gun laws are. :psyduck:

Even if we repealed the 2nd tomorrow and instituted confiscation and Japanese-style gun control where it takes background checks, psych interviews, and years of gun club membership in good standing to get a hunting rifle, allowing a disqualifying factor to include restrictions springing from an unaccountable list creates a due process issue. It doesn't matter what the right and/or privilege you're restricting is, the 5th Amendment issue springs from the fact that you're creating a double standard of treatment without first clearing it through a jury in an open day in court.

It doesn't matter if it's guns, or if guns are a right, or if it's loving jaywalking. If Hassan can't jaywalk because he's on the "maybe a terrorist" profiling list and I can, you've created a due process issue. It doesn't matter how minor the target activity is, the problem is the fact that there's now two levels of treatment without a day in court.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm baffled as to why people keep engaging with Fishmech.

I probably deserve it.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 23, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

It doesn't matter how minor the target activity is, the problem is the fact that there's now two levels of treatment without a day in court.

And yet, the no fly list has existed for years and years.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

You can't take away a right when it never existed. There's never been a real right to own guns, there never will be either.

Yeah, see, Fishmech, the problem is that you are wrong. Maybe you should read a court case or something.

quote:

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), was a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held in a 5-4 decision that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution applies to federal enclaves and protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

Regardless of whether you think that case should be overturned - you are factually incorrect that there has never been a right to own guns. The SCOTUS is the body who gets to decide that and it's right there in black and white.

The Dredd Scott decision of guns gets to stand until it's overturned, that's how court decisions work.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 23, 2015

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

This is what I don't get with your disregard for the 5th Amendment/due process in re: linking gun purchases to the terrorist watchlist in the now, whatever your ultimate vision for American gun laws are. :psyduck:

Even if we repealed the 2nd tomorrow and instituted confiscation and Japanese-style gun control where it takes background checks, psych interviews, and years of gun club membership in good standing to get a hunting rifle, allowing a disqualifying factor to include restrictions springing from an unaccountable list creates a due process issue. It doesn't matter what the right and/or privilege you're restricting is, the 5th Amendment issue springs from the fact that you're creating a double standard of treatment without first clearing it through a jury in an open day in court.

It doesn't matter if it's guns, or if guns are a right, or if it's loving jaywalking. If Hassan can't jaywalk because he's on the "maybe a terrorist" profiling list and I can, you've created a due process issue. It doesn't matter how minor the target activity is, the problem is the fact that there's now two levels of treatment without a day in court.

Due process does not and never has required judicial process in all cases. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. This conception that "something happened without a court therefore no due process" is, legally speaking, completely wrong.

For example: Do you think that the VA has to go to court when they want to take a veterans' benefits away? No, they just do it. There are judicial avenues for appeal (and the lack of those mechanisms for the no fly list was successfully challenged), but there's absolutely no requirement for an initial judicial determination to exist for due process to be satisfied.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

JT Jag posted:

In short, he's combative, dismissive of opposing points of view, and regularly demands that people who oppose his point of view supply proof while providing none himself.

He also does things like flat ignoring N4I's entire argument when quoting on the last page so he could keep banging his drum about how he doesn't believe in a specifically moral right to own guns.

Fishmech is sometimes entertaining because people will try to fight him to the death rather than just granting whatever irrelevant technicality he wants and getting back to arguing something anyone cares about, but he's not an especially productive poster.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Kalman posted:

Due process does not and never has required judicial process in all cases. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. This conception that "something happened without a court therefore no due process" is, legally speaking, completely wrong.

For example: Do you think that the VA has to go to court when they want to take a veterans' benefits away? No, they just do it. There are judicial avenues for appeal (and the lack of those mechanisms for the no fly list was successfully challenged), but there's absolutely no requirement for an initial judicial determination to exist for due process to be satisfied.

I think the main confusion in this discussion has been a conflation of procedural due process and substantive due process. But maybe also whether the procedure for the watch list counts as due process. I think. I scroll past fishmechchat and gunchat because both are terrible but that was my impression from what I accidentally read

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

Audit the Fed is the magic spell fiat money is weak against. It's in the same school of magic as gold fringe and writing your name in caps to prevent judicial power.

Yeah, you need to include punctuation, geez.

Regards,

JACKSON:-OF-THE-HOUSE: TAUS

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Litany Unheard posted:

There are a number of exceptions written into law that protects information from being released/disclosed by an audit of the Federal Reserve. Here's what's currently excluded from an audit:

I suppose the argument for keeping this info privileged is that the Fed needs to do some things behind closed doors in order for their actions to be effective, or so that their actions can be done free from too much political pressure.

Exactly, and the latter is the reason for the GOP being anti-fed lately.

Paulites want an open Fed audit because they genuinely believe that nefarious things are going on. The not crazy GOP folks who want one are mainly hoping to get something they can quote out of context to allow them to start investigations and eventually bring the Federal Reserve under congressional supervision. There they would have the ability to more throughly implement their godawful economic voodoo polices.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Dredd Scott decision of guns gets to stand until it's overturned, that's how court decisions work.

And it will be overturned, because it's ludicrous and only happened due to a conservative majority. We'll have sane Australian-style gun control within 50 years.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Gold down almost half from it's peak value over the last 5 years: Sound Money

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Shifty Pony posted:

Exactly, and the latter is the reason for the GOP being anti-fed lately.

Paulites want an open Fed audit because they genuinely believe that nefarious things are going on. The not crazy GOP folks who want one are mainly hoping to get something they can quote out of context to allow them to start investigations and eventually bring the Federal Reserve under congressional supervision. There they would have the ability to more throughly implement their godawful economic voodoo polices.

it's just common sense, normal people can't just borrow or print dollars all the time, they have to repay loans!

and that's why we, the congress of america, decide that instead of wealth killing 2% inflation we institute 10% deflation, for the good of america

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Should we start taking bets on how long it is until there is an actual lynching at a Trump event?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good Citizen posted:

Gold down almost half from it's peak value over the last 5 years: Sound Money
Pfft, anyone smart knows you need to put ALL your money in Bitcoin. They NEVER lose value. :smuggo:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SquadronROE posted:

Should we start taking bets on how long it is until there is an actual lynching at a Trump event?

At an actual event never. Inspired by is believable.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

fishmech posted:

And it will be overturned, because it's ludicrous and only happened due to a conservative majority. We'll have sane Australian-style gun control within 50 years.

I'd say toxx this poo poo but you'll be dead of an aneurysm in 25.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Playstation 4 posted:

I'd say toxx this poo poo but you'll be dead of an aneurysm in 25.

Nah, considering as kidney transplants mean extensive health monitoring. :smugdog:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So Michelle Obama's Let's Move program has put out a report, and it is horrifying. See, as they cover in the intro, they set out to do a broad covering of food issues in America before diving into the obesity epidemic. But what they ended up finding was that food insecurity is a much more massive problem than prior reports had revealed, even in their worst projections. I guess the White House has the resources to do a better study than all the nonprofits or something. Full report isn't online yet but thy are covering the highlights at the announcement at the Bread Institute.

Here's a fun one:
In the last week if the month, ER visits for low blood sugar in low-income diabetics increases 27%. They don't have the money for food so they have complications and they don't have the money for medicine so they go to the hospital.

Have another:
SNAP restrictions push people into unhealthy food, with a noted correlation of healthy people with good habits who go on SNAP demonstrating weight gain and a corresponding increase in diabetes.

Or here:
Preliminary estimate is that complications following on from hunger and food insecurity costs us an extra $160 billion a year in health care costs. Poor nutrition leads to increased vulnerability to diseases and larger issues like, again, diabetes, which must then be treated

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Fried Chicken posted:

So Michelle Obama's Let's Move program has put out a report, and it is horrifying. See, as they cover in the intro, they set out to do a broad covering of food issues in America before diving into the obesity epidemic. But what they ended up finding was that food insecurity is a much more massive problem than prior reports had revealed, even in their worst projections. I guess the White House has the resources to do a better study than all the nonprofits or something. Full report isn't online yet but thy are covering the highlights at the announcement at the Bread Institute.

Here's a fun one:
In the last week if the month, ER visits for low blood sugar in low-income diabetics increases 27%. They don't have the money for food so they have complications and they don't have the money for medicine so they go to the hospital.

Have another:
SNAP restrictions push people into unhealthy food, with a noted correlation of healthy people with good habits who go on SNAP demonstrating weight gain and a corresponding increase in diabetes.

Or here:
Preliminary estimate is that complications following on from hunger and food insecurity costs us an extra $160 billion a year in health care costs. Poor nutrition leads to increased vulnerability to diseases and larger issues like, again, diabetes, which must then be treated

Happy Thanksgiving! :smith:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Fried Chicken posted:

Here's a fun one:

Have another:

Or here:

Cant lead with that and then not link it :v:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

Here's a fun one:

Have another:

Or here:

If hospitals want to save money, maybe they should offer their own food stamps.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Fried Chicken posted:

So Michelle Obama's Let's Move program has put out a report, and it is horrifying.

Sounds horrible, but why did you post this without a link to the report? I'm not going to post this on FB and attribute it to unknown yet thoroughly impeached poster Fried Chicken.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

That x-axis is also making a symbolic statement about the dangers of genetically modified superturkeys :v:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

So Michelle Obama's Let's Move program has put out a report, and it is horrifying. See, as they cover in the intro, they set out to do a broad covering of food issues in America before diving into the obesity epidemic. But what they ended up finding was that food insecurity is a much more massive problem than prior reports had revealed, even in their worst projections. I guess the White House has the resources to do a better study than all the nonprofits or something.

I imagine part of it is that a request for info from the White House gets prioritized a little higher than a normal FOIA request, if not officially than certainly in the mind of the desk jockey who gets the requests. Plus I assume the WH can just call and ask for clarification and more details whenever they feel like.

LowellDND posted:

Cant lead with that and then not link it :v:

The Real Foogla posted:

Sounds horrible, but why did you post this without a link to the report? I'm not going to post this on FB and attribute it to unknown yet thoroughly impeached poster Fried Chicken.

IMPEACH! (According to Fried Chicken's post, the full report isn't online yet (of course he could be lying))

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think the solution to food insecurity in America is clear: privitize SNAP

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh look a 1950s Superman is 10 times more progressive than half of the country in 2015.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I get the feeling that if they re-ran the Superman vs the KKK stuff a lot of people would complain the comic is being too PC.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The report will be up at hungerreport.org. This was a joint report between Let's Move, the USDA Nutrition Division, and Bread for the World, with it being presented by USDA undersecretary Kevin Concannon and Let's Move administrator Deb Eschmeyer

Additional tidbit:
Half of all SNAP recipients are children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fried Chicken posted:

Here's a fun one:

Have another:

Or here:

"So what you're saying is if we abolish SNAP we'll eliminate obesity AND diabetes?" -R voter

• Locked thread