Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
So the conclusion to the series is 'we don't care anymore and you shouldn't either'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well, it ends, and does so while tying up most strings left. Whether or not it is satisfying, uh, look into your heart for the answer.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Getsuya posted:

Can someone give me a yes or no as to whether Lightning Returns has a satisfying ending?
Well, stupid poo poo happens and Lightning is sort of on modern Earth in the final cutscene so that her designer can have more grounded wank fantasies.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sakurazuka posted:

LR is not a game you play for the story unless you enjoy laughing at stuff being dumb as poo poo

lightning shouting god is dead at the final boss was a dream come true and gave me plenty of closure

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hell yeah, finally some freaking atheist representation in games.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
There was one game I played in Japan (Black/Matrix) that surprised me for being the only thing ever made in Japan where the angels are good guys and the devils are bad guys, instead of the devils being cool edgy sexy anti-heroes and the angels being judgmental pricks who think they're better than everyone. They even made it part of the plot that the demons had re-written history to make it look like the angels were the bad guys when really the angels were the violently repressed minority.

Then in the sequels they switched back to either Demon Good Angel Bad or Human Good All Religious Stuff Bad.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

LR's ending owns, it feels like forever since I last got to ascend into space and punch God.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Getsuya posted:

Can someone give me a yes or no as to whether Lightning Returns has a satisfying ending?
I would tell you "yes, it's amazing" except then you say

Getsuya posted:

13-2 had one of the worst endings ever conceived by Squeenix.
and I realize you are going to loving hate where that game goes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stelas posted:

LR's ending owns, it feels like forever since I last got to ascend into space and punch God.

Bayonetta wasn't that much before LR.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

and I realize you are going to loving hate where that game goes.

It's not like they can kill Serah again a third time... can they? That's what pissed me off about 13-2. That and the fact that the ending was literally 'nothing you just did for the last 20 hours mattered at all'.

V Oh you've got to be kidding me.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 23, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Getsuya posted:

It's not like they can [...] can they?

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I thought the ending of 13-2 was great. If you managed to suffer through 13 and still bought 13-2 then you really got what you deserved with that ending.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Getsuya posted:

It's not like they can kill Serah again a third time... can they? That's what pissed me off about 13-2. That and the fact that the ending was literally 'nothing you just did for the last 20 hours mattered at all'.

It's been a while since I've played, but I know you don't have to worry about the second part.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

LR's story tone in general is "Just roll with it." I personally loved it. It gets insane and silly and bonkers very quick, and feels like it makes fun of the series ' own melodrama

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

- The world is ending and I need a date!
- Sure, I'll just put on my best dress and the pumpkin head and go drive a couple of species to extinction with my sword till the time comes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'd say the ending is much much better than FFX-2 if only because there's resolution to it. Going through FFX-2, and being all like "yaaa guys we're the best, everything is great" to "OH WAIT EVERYTHING IS hosed WE'RE DEAD THE WORLD'S DEAD" was so stupid. At least in LR you actually accomplish something.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
LR is not a good story, but it is an amazing one. Even if you hated XIII or XIII-2, and maybe especially if you did, you need to play it.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I thought Star Ocean 4's unique problems came about because the director really wanted to make a hentai game and got stuck making that instead? Anyway yeah with a different director and writer it seems pretty stupid to assume that the child character (basically a mainstay in jrpgs anyway) is going to be creepily sexualised

Yeah, that was a problem with the game. It also doesn't help that he never directed a 3D game before. I can't find very much about the guy, but apparently the last game he directed before this one was the SNES RPG Dark Law: Meaning of Death in 1997.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lightning Returns has the most JRPG ending ever. It actually closes everything up and actually ends and everything. It is just insanely JRPG. It's not an unhappy or depressing ending or whatever. It's just absurd.

People fixate on the last part but the last part honestly makes sense in context and basically is more of a generic cliche than anything. It's everything prior to the last part that is batshit insane.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Lightning Returns has the most JRPG ending ever. It actually closes everything up and actually ends and everything. It is just insanely JRPG. It's not an unhappy or depressing ending or whatever. It's just absurd.

People fixate on the last part but the last part honestly makes sense in context and basically is more of a generic cliche than anything. It's everything prior to the last part that is batshit insane.

Does Lightning take off to outer space/the moon for absolutely no reason?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Does Lightning take off to outer space/the moon for absolutely no reason?

A very close equivalent.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tired Moritz posted:

the voice actor of lymle seems to be cursed to voice creepy little girls.

Honestly, I thought Lym had a pretty good voice actor and her performance was kind of endearing at least. It was the script that turned things awful.

Also, isn't Lym, like, mentally older because she accidentally opened a portal to hell and had her mind imprisoned by Space Satan for X number of years? It's like, not in the main game, but in her backstory file they talk about that I remember being totally thrown off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Honestly, I thought Lym had a pretty good voice actor and her performance was kind of endearing at least. It was the script that turned things awful.

Also, isn't Lym, like, mentally older because she accidentally opened a portal to hell and had her mind imprisoned by Space Satan for X number of years? It's like, not in the main game, but in her backstory file they talk about that I remember being totally thrown off.

Lym is not actually mentally older. She accidentally formed a pact with Cerberus or something which left her mentally and physically trapped at the age of 6. They're careful to emphasize that last part because ???? (It never matters to the story at all.)

This of course makes it super loving creepy she has an actual romance plot in the game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I am glad I did not play Star Ocean 4.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Lym is not actually mentally older. She accidentally formed a pact with Cerberus or something which left her mentally and physically trapped at the age of 6. They're careful to emphasize that last part because ???? (It never matters to the story at all.)

This of course makes it super loving creepy she has an actual romance plot in the game.

There was no need for a romance and I am convinced that the character was never intended to have one, but had one tacked on later anyway. There's literally no reason for it, and it flies in the face of any of the character-development she and the characters around her receive as a result.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Mill Village posted:

Yeah, that was a problem with the game. It also doesn't help that he never directed a 3D game before. I can't find very much about the guy, but apparently the last game he directed before this one was the SNES RPG Dark Law: Meaning of Death in 1997.

That was actually Yoshinori Yamagishi who said it. He is not a Tri-Ace employee or the director of the game. Instead, he works at Square-Enix (and Enix before the merger) as a producer for their co-production division (Tri-Ace games, Lord of Vermilion) under their old division system. He's the liaison between Enix and Tri-Ace dating back to the first Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile games.

Tri-Ace said Yamagishi is the big reason why Enix/Square-Enix kept funding their games. With his exit after porting Star Ocean 4 to the PS3, Tri-Ace became a support developer for the Final Fantasy XIII sequels and looked to other publishers to fund their original projects. Yamagashi mostly works in promoting their games and making sure development goes smoothly. Believe or not, Star Ocean 4 was aimed at a global audience and had contracted writers help them make the game more appealing to the West. They worked with outside writers and market research companies such as Digital Hearts, which could explain some of the game's problems.

There's a new producer, Shuichi Kobayashi, heading Star Ocean 5 who rose from the ranks of Square-Enix's marketing division. He worked closely with Tri-Ace in the past and managed to get a new sequel greenlit. The tone and character design for the recent Star Ocean games probably came from Tri-Ace themselves rather than their longtime producer or their new producer who seem very supportive of their vision.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Getsuya posted:

Can someone give me a yes or no as to whether Lightning Returns has a satisfying ending? 13's ending was okay, I didn't really feel it needed expansion. Then 13-2 had one of the worst endings ever conceived by Squeenix. Now I'm just naively hoping they'll fix what they broke in 13-2 and wrap it up so I can move on. Not that I won't buy it if it doesn't have a good conclusion, the combat and class system look really fun. It'd just be nice.
oh gently caress yes it does

Getsuya posted:

ahahaahaha just strap yourself in and take a ride on the magic carpet

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I hated everything about XIII-2 but the ending of LR made it all worth it in the end.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

LR did to the trilogy what FF14ARR did to the world of FF14.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you hate the world and setting and characters and plot of FFXIII, don't worry, so does Lightning. Play LR.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm surprised there's so many story reasons to try and convince people when it's all about the battle system.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm surprised there's so many story reasons to try and convince people when it's all about the battle system.

The battle system is pretty solid but there's something just-- refreshing about watching LR's plot and Lightning's incredibly unimpressed delivery of it. It's bonkers but in a good way, especially after 13-2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the battle system owns but i can understand not wanting to play it if you think there's gonna be endless scenes of hope crying like in 13

suffice to say, the plot of lightning returns is the most retarded loving thing, but it's not annoying. that's important.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

GOD IS DEAD

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

the battle system owns but i can understand not wanting to play it if you think there's gonna be endless scenes of hope crying like in 13

suffice to say, the plot of lightning returns is the most retarded loving thing, but it's not annoying. that's important.

I watched the intro and kept thinking "why not just make this a new IP?" Like, Lightning and co aren't even that good for marketing purposes, and the setting for 13-3 is a completely different universe to 13, whose plot has been long forgotten in whatever gordian knot they've formed since.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think that's why people tend to say it's a cannibalized Valkyrie Profile game that became an FF13 game instead?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I watched the intro and kept thinking "why not just make this a new IP?" Like, Lightning and co aren't even that good for marketing purposes, and the setting for 13-3 is a completely different universe to 13, whose plot has been long forgotten in whatever gordian knot they've formed since.

Lightning is seriously straight-up the most popular protagonist they've had since Cloud. It's absurd but true. Probably that combined with it being largely recycled material and so it's easier to just reuse Fang and whoever and FFXIII monsters instead of coming up with new ones.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the conclusion to caius's story in lr is the best

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Lightning is seriously straight-up the most popular protagonist they've had since Cloud.

We talking worldwide, or just in Japan? I'm not big on FF as a whole, so I don't know much about what is and isn't popular among fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Motto posted:

We talking worldwide, or just in Japan? I'm not big on FF as a whole, so I don't know much about what is and isn't popular among fans.

Can you really name a character since Cloud that's had more recognition and popularity? Because it's not Zidane, despite what goons want to think.