Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Still lollin at anyone who gave up during S1. This show has been HBO's secret weapon for an era when they're actually really hurting for top tier drama (because they all ended)

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Before the dead characters started appearing, I was totally ready to see Nora's family and Evie at the hotel, but show decided not to mess with my mind that much.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Borrowed Ladder posted:

loving loved that episode, for some reason it reminded me of a trial from a Sandman/Lucifer storyline.

just finished... there was also a wicked Sopranos call back there when Tony's in the coma

e: haha, poo poo wasn't his name Kevin Garrity?

e2: nope, Kevin Finnerty. close tho! :)

god drat this guy's a good actor. he really just is. that look of "UHHHH GOTTA GO NOW JUST KILLED SOME WOULD BE ASSASSIN IN MY HOTEL ROOM" as he's running leaving the hotel room in the beginning was priceless. he captured an expression of "wtf just happened... i should uh... i should go."

2 more episodes.

they better not make me wait another year and a half like last time :(

Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 23, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Lycus posted:

Before the dead characters started appearing, I was totally ready to see Nora's family and Evie at the hotel, but show decided not to mess with my mind that much.

I was also thinking that this "negaverse" would be where they all "departed" to, but that wouldn't work. Giving it a bit of thought as that being one of my original theories that to the departed, 98% of the population just up and disappeared. That universe would be in utter armageddon chaos. There wouldn't be enough people to man all the machinery to keep our way of life going. It would be anarchy, not some normal (minus the assassins!) Marriott hotel like I've stayed at a billion times.

Glad they went with this purgatory angle. I'd like them to tie up the loose end with the cavewoman in the beginning with this well. Obviously there's a connection. That well is how the dead "return." When the old man killed the bird, that's probably why some of the birds didn't come back. They didn't make it to the well?

Ugh, it's late. I just can't. Great episode.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Wow. I would have never thought they'd actually go fully into a more supernatural concept like this. This show has always flirted the line between reality and supernatural while staying grounded firmly in reality for 95% of it but this episode was just incredible and I'm seriously glad they went all in. I NEED this show to get renewed...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Probably one of the best episodes of a TV show in 2015.

Patti's story about Jeopardy :smith:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This was the craziest goddamn thing I've seen in a long time. Totally perfect.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Are we suppose to assume that the Nora's brother did rape his wife since her soul or shade or whatever is wandering the hotel?

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Still lollin at anyone who gave up during S1. This show has been HBO's secret weapon for an era when they're actually really hurting for top tier drama (because they all ended)

Yeah this is seriously the best show I've seen on HBO in ages. True Detective had a lot of potential but I think if Leftovers keeps up the pace they'll surpass TD S1 in terms of quality. It would be shame if this doesn't get renewed.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

loving loved that episode, for some reason it reminded me of a trial from a Sandman/Lucifer storyline.

I thought the exact same thing.

funny way to spell fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 23, 2015

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't think we are supposed to assume anything. The show intentionally sets it up where this could really be supernatural or it simply could be the dream of someone who took a non-fatal dose of whatever substance Virgil gave him. I mean, the original disappearance was obviously supernatural, but everything we've seen since then can be perfectly explained by either supernatural phenomena or people going crazy.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Tonight's episode was one of the best things i've seen recently

hahaha it's gonna be another whole season before we get see him talk to his dad about the fire majicks

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

This is a good TV show please keep making it.

Shadow posted:

god drat this guy's a good actor. he really just is. that look of "UHHHH GOTTA GO NOW JUST KILLED SOME WOULD BE ASSASSIN IN MY HOTEL ROOM" as he's running leaving the hotel room in the beginning was priceless. he captured an expression of "wtf just happened... i should uh... i should go."

He's got a great I'm-panicking-face.

That was great when the guy patted his crotch down and then said "congratulations".

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

funny way to spell posted:

Yeah this is seriously the best show I've seen on HBO in ages. True Detective had a lot of potential but I think if Leftovers keeps up the pace they'll surpass TD S1 in terms of quality. It would be shame if this doesn't get renewed.
TD S1 was super fun to watch but it was never a top tier HBO drama. Just re: any of Pizolatto's aimlessly interminable Rust Cohle pontification that only worked because Mcconaughey is a great actor who made you believe his character believed that cornball stuff. This season 2 just pulled off a longterm homage to one of the Sopranos' most introspectively ambitious episodes but did it its own way and was engaging the entire running time. This is the real deal :w00t:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Shadow posted:

When the old man killed the bird, that's probably why some of the birds didn't come back. They didn't make it to the well?

Whoa, mind blown.

Also, Lindelof loves wells and making heroes kill someone.

And yeah, Patti's Jeopardy story. The acting in the whole thing was amazing but I was blown away by Kevin and Patti (both ages) at the end.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 23, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

This was exciting TV but I can't help but feel the show has gone full Lost/Retard

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Thief posted:

Tonight's episode was one of the best things i've seen recently

hahaha it's gonna be another whole season before we get see him talk to his dad about the fire majicks

I can't wait to hear about that.

This episode loving ruled.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I loved how his dad's fire was the thing that looked to be setting off the fire alarm. :golfclap:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I loved how his dad's fire was the thing that looked to be setting off the fire alarm. :golfclap:
Kevin's hopeless look around the room when his father said "poo poo we're in the same room" was incredible.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

SLOSifl posted:

Kevin's hopeless look around the room when his father said "poo poo we're in the same room" was incredible.

I really want to rewatch the episode later today just to give this part more focus. That was so loving eerie.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Hmmm. White Mercedes. I think it was, anyway.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Puppy Galaxy posted:

This was exciting TV but I can't help but feel the show has gone full Lost/Retard

Nah, I have a feeling that while this is going to have a big impact on Kevin, it's not exactly going to wipe away the inherent "not knowing" that this show has managed to cultivate in its Universe. For example, even if Kevin knows some detail about Patti from the Jeopardy story that Laurie is certain she never told him, I'm still not sure that that would be enough to convince her that Kevin wasn't having a psychotic break. He might have seen that episode, he might have heard about it in passing while dealing with the GR during his years in Mapleton, if he was a Cop then he must have had SOME background info on Patti.

I think there's just as much evidence to claim Kevin was just having an extended Ayahuasca trip as there is to claim he was actually on the "other side." Things like the people arguing in the parking garage, the bird flying around the lobby, they seemed like the sort of little details from real life that just float around your brain and end up working their way into your dreams. And the way we never actually saw how Kevin got from place to place, how heavily this episode relied on fades to get from one scene to the next. All's I'm saying is, it's not like Kevin is coming back with one of Santa Claus's bells in his pockets. He has no concrete proof that anything he experienced was "real" and not just the result of the fact that he was unconscious due to poison. I mean, he drank it expecting to go to a place where Virgil would guide him to do battle with Patti, and that's exactly what he got. Nothing about that really rules out "drug trip" to me.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

Nah, I have a feeling that while this is going to have a big impact on Kevin, it's not exactly going to wipe away the inherent "not knowing" that this show has managed to cultivate in its Universe. For example, even if Kevin knows some detail about Patti from the Jeopardy story that Laurie is certain she never told him, I'm still not sure that that would be enough to convince her that Kevin wasn't having a psychotic break. He might have seen that episode, he might have heard about it in passing while dealing with the GR during his years in Mapleton, if he was a Cop then he must have had SOME background info on Patti.

I think there's just as much evidence to claim Kevin was just having an extended Ayahuasca trip as there is to claim he was actually on the "other side." Things like the people arguing in the parking garage, the bird flying around the lobby, they seemed like the sort of little details from real life that just float around your brain and end up working their way into your dreams. And the way we never actually saw how Kevin got from place to place, how heavily this episode relied on fades to get from one scene to the next. All's I'm saying is, it's not like Kevin is coming back with one of Santa Claus's bells in his pockets. He has no concrete proof that anything he experienced was "real" and not just the result of the fact that he was unconscious due to poison. I mean, he drank it expecting to go to a place where Virgil would guide him to do battle with Patti, and that's exactly what he got. Nothing about that really rules out "drug trip" to me.

Depending on how long they say he was out, its going to be hard to maintain that illusion when someone was buried and dead for maybe a few hours. Even assuming the kid dragged him not far off to an already dug hole, its hard to handwave someone literally being buried for a while, and judging by the little camp site he had going, he'd been there a few hours.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Onomarchus posted:

Hmmm. White Mercedes. I think it was, anyway.

It absolutely was.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

As someone who loved Lost tip-to-tail and thought it was at its best when it fully embraced its own mystical bullshit, I would absolutely welcome that. I'm really eager to see where we go from here and how this experience is going to change Kevin; does he he buy it as a genuine miracle or is he going to believe there's a rational explanation for everything. I'm also really interested in who the man on the bridge was, what their little Lost in Translation moment was about and if he's going to reappear in the Real World.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Knowing this show, they will likely be completely ambiguous about how long he was out. Which is also why I think the comparisons to lost that people keep making make no sense. This show is doing all it can to make sure that the viewer understands that the point isn't solving the mystery . While lost was explicitly set up as a big mystery to unveil, this one makes sure that pretty much all developments have 2 explicitly stated possible explanations that are equally plausible based on what we've seen.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

That episode was amazing in all facets and really kept that surreal vibe throughout every scene. The little back and forth with Holy Wayne was great, I really like that character.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jenkem Delivery posted:

That episode was amazing in all facets and really kept that surreal vibe throughout every scene. The little back and forth with Holy Wayne was great, I really like that character.

I forgot how much I missed him until he showed up. :(

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

This has to go somewhere, and I bet others have noticed: The name Virgil has to be a huge reference to The Divine Comedy, not that it proves anything about a decisive interpretation of what happened.

joepinetree posted:

I don't think we are supposed to assume anything. The show intentionally sets it up where this could really be supernatural or it simply could be the dream of someone who took a non-fatal dose of whatever substance Virgil gave him.

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I think there's just as much evidence to claim Kevin was just having an extended Ayahuasca trip as there is to claim he was actually on the "other side."

joepinetree posted:

...this one makes sure that pretty much all developments have 2 explicitly stated possible explanations that are equally plausible based on what we've seen.

I want this to be true, but I'm worried it might not be because the episode had a few Achilles' heels or vulnerabilities in this regard. To be clear, I want the NDE experience to be interpretable as either a genuine trip into the afterlife or a dream/hallucination, but somethings (and not others) are causing some difficulty, at least for me. Technically you could divide this into an issue of whether Kevin can think it is real and whether the viewer can or should; what I care about is the view of the viewer. For what it's worth, I agree the Jeopardy info and how long he was out (especially if he might have been able to breath) don't pose any problems.

Issue 1) Has Neil (sp?) died or at least entered a coma, preferably due to choking on a chicken or whatever he said it was? If he hasn't, then that wasn't Hell or the afterlife or purgatory and it had to be all Kevin imagining and supplying it.

Issue 2) If Neil has died or gone comatose that way, how did Kevin learn of this by earthly means? If that really happened to Neil, then either it was clearly genuinely an afterlife experience, Kevin somehow knew about Neil's death/coma, or it's a hell a coincidence, too much of one. Issues 1 and 2 can be resolved by the writers in future episodes. If it's not ever mentioned again, I guess one could assume he did die that way and Kevin could have googled Neil, because Kevin had clearly been thinking about Neil recently.

Issue 3) The bird. This is the big issue. This one is more about the viewer than Kevin, though it ultimately raises the question of whether Kevin knew (as Nora does) about the peculiar Jarden practice of burying a bird and seeing if it is alive later. As THA TITTY THRILLER pointed out, Kevin imagining just a the bird being there could happen easily, but the bird and what happens to it has significance to Virgil and ultimately the viewer. Maybe this should technically be a matter of interpretation, but I think it's heavily, heavily implied that wasn't just a bird that died somewhere but was a bird that was buried in box in Jarden as part of the wish-seeking ritual, and this is so whether the whole thing was the afterlife or Kevin's dream: the bird is how we (the viewers) know Virgil has gone native at the end. At first Virgil hopes no one hurts the bird because actual Virgil has to know about the bird burying practice--I think he keeps birds to help people with it--and wants it to work for people so they get their wishes granted (and maybe so the birds can get to live in the real world too I guess). By the end, Virgil (or presumably Kevin's model of him) has abandoned either his memory of or allegiance to the values of his old real-world identity (supposedly because he drank the water, which is a bit like the pomegranate in Persephone's story, and of course he doesn't have a working body to return to) and at any rate he gladly kills the bird.

If that was the afterlife, then forget Kevin and what he knew, because that was Virgil's life, death, and journey being shown to the viewer. If that was Kevin's own dream and it's all his story, then Kevin has to know some key details about the bird-burying practice in Jarden and Virgil's relation to it. It's can't just be some easily dismissed coincidence.

This Achilles' heel might be an oversight in writing, though after this season and all it's hidden or subtle stuff I highly doubt that, and I give the writers tons and tons of credit. It could also be a subtle sign that it absolutely had to be the afterlife, but I don't what that to be it, since I think this show and episode are better if either of the two interpretation remain believable, which is in keeping with the theme of the show. (Not to get too off track, but I think this season and maybe the whole show The Leftovers are like an unintentional take-off on my very favorite Sopranos episode, "The Fleshy Part of the Thigh.") I hope either future episodes resolve this--maybe with some way Kevin knew about the Jarden bird ritual that doesn't seem too contrived--or something changes my mind about it, because the more I think about it, the more the Virgil+bird thing becomes a sticking point for me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is the only time where a dream episode has made me truly feel like I was in the dream with the characters. All of the callbacks, plus NO sign of the real world until at the end really helped cement that. We, as viewers, aren't shown anyone that we've come to know, aside from the weird dream versions of a few characters. You barely see Mary (and does Kevin believe her to be dead? Maybe), we don't see Matt, Nora, Jill, the Murphy's... no one. And even then, we see dead characters as well, with holy Wayne, the blonde woman with the glasses who died in season 1, and of course Patti.

I really felt like I was trapped in that dream with him. Good job :golfclap:

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Seriously cool poo poo. Never saw Lost and even I was like, "this is totally Lost" based upon what people have said about the show. Fantastic departure from reality that I think really brings Kevin and the Leftovers world together. Holy gently caress only two more episodes; I have a feeling poo poo is going to get crazy. loving can't wait.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Onomarchus posted:

This has to go somewhere, and I bet others have noticed: The name Virgil has to be a huge reference to The Divine Comedy, not that it proves anything about a decisive interpretation of what happened.

I want this to be true, but I'm worried it might not be because the episode had a few Achilles' heels or vulnerabilities in this regard. To be clear, I want the NDE experience to be interpretable as either a genuine trip into the afterlife or a dream/hallucination, but somethings (and not others) are causing some difficulty, at least for me. Technically you could divide this into an issue of whether Kevin can think it is real and whether the viewer can or should; what I care about is the view of the viewer. For what it's worth, I agree the Jeopardy info and how long he was out (especially if he might have been able to breath) don't pose any problems.

Issue 1) Has Neil (sp?) died or at least entered a coma, preferably due to choking on a chicken or whatever he said it was? If he hasn't, then that wasn't Hell or the afterlife or purgatory and it had to be all Kevin imagining and supplying it.

Issue 2) If Neil has died or gone comatose that way, how did Kevin learn of this by earthly means? If that really happened to Neil, then either it was clearly genuinely an afterlife experience, Kevin somehow knew about Neil's death/coma, or it's a hell a coincidence, too much of one. Issues 1 and 2 can be resolved by the writers in future episodes. If it's not ever mentioned again, I guess one could assume he did die that way and Kevin could have googled Neil, because Kevin had clearly been thinking about Neil recently.

Issue 3) The bird. This is the big issue. This one is more about the viewer than Kevin, though it ultimately raises the question of whether Kevin knew (as Nora does) about the peculiar Jarden practice of burying a bird and seeing if it is alive later. As THA TITTY THRILLER pointed out, Kevin imagining just a the bird being there could happen easily, but the bird and what happens to it has significance to Virgil and ultimately the viewer. Maybe this should technically be a matter of interpretation, but I think it's heavily, heavily implied that wasn't just a bird that died somewhere but was a bird that was buried in box in Jarden as part of the wish-seeking ritual, and this is so whether the whole thing was the afterlife or Kevin's dream: the bird is how we (the viewers) know Virgil has gone native at the end. At first Virgil hopes no one hurts the bird because actual Virgil has to know about the bird burying practice--I think he keeps birds to help people with it--and wants it to work for people so they get their wishes granted (and maybe so the birds can get to live in the real world too I guess). By the end, Virgil (or presumably Kevin's model of him) has abandoned either his memory of or allegiance to the values of his old real-world identity (supposedly because he drank the water, which is a bit like the pomegranate in Persephone's story, and of course he doesn't have a working body to return to) and at any rate he gladly kills the bird.

If that was the afterlife, then forget Kevin and what he knew, because that was Virgil's life, death, and journey being shown to the viewer. If that was Kevin's own dream and it's all his story, then Kevin has to know some key details about the bird-burying practice in Jarden and Virgil's relation to it. It's can't just be some easily dismissed coincidence.

This Achilles' heel might be an oversight in writing, though after this season and all it's hidden or subtle stuff I highly doubt that, and I give the writers tons and tons of credit. It could also be a subtle sign that it absolutely had to be the afterlife, but I don't what that to be it, since I think this show and episode are better if either of the two interpretation remain believable, which is in keeping with the theme of the show. (Not to get too off track, but I think this season and maybe the whole show The Leftovers are like an unintentional take-off on my very favorite Sopranos episode, "The Fleshy Part of the Thigh.") I hope either future episodes resolve this--maybe with some way Kevin knew about the Jarden bird ritual that doesn't seem too contrived--or something changes my mind about it, because the more I think about it, the more the Virgil+bird thing becomes a sticking point for me.

Issues 1 and 2 are not explained and will not be explained. There is no way for Kevin to know, and likely there will be no way for Kevin to know. He knows, because Laurie told him, that Neil was a massive rear end in a top hat to Patti and likely to have caused a lot of her mental issues. He may be in the afterlife with Kevin. Or that is simply Kevin's subconscious, since Kevin has demonstrated more empathy for Patti when she was alive than most, likely because of all the crap he heard she went through from Laurie.

And the bird may be because of the bird burying practice in Jarden. Or it may be because Virgil is into taxidermy and has a huge rear end birdcage next to his trailer full with the little black and white birds that are so common in Jarden:

Kevin shown driving up to Virgil's house for the first time, his truck shown through the bird cage:

Virgil comes into sight, framed by the bird cage:

and just in case that wasn't enough:

Kevin walking up to Virgil's trailer, shown through the birdcage, and doing a double take and looking specifically at the birdcage:

So, again, they went out of their way to make it so both explanations are possible. Maybe Kevin sees the bird trapped in the hotel and Virgil killing it because there is a supernatural connection to the birds being buried alive. Or maybe it is a dream because the one thing he notices as he goes up to Virgil's trailer is that he has a bunch of caged birds and is a taxidermist.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm just surprised that Kevin wasn't surprised that Virgil was there. He knew what it took to get there so why wasn't he like "whoa dude... uh ... aren't you supposed to be alive? Who the gently caress is gonna bring me back??"

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

BonoMan posted:

I'm just surprised that Kevin wasn't surprised that Virgil was there. He knew what it took to get there so why wasn't he like "whoa dude... uh ... aren't you supposed to be alive? Who the gently caress is gonna bring me back??"

I thought I remembered a scene where he was questioning Virgil how he was there with him. With the implication that Kevin figured out he must have died. Early on in the episode.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I thought Virgil said he'd guide him to do battle. He probably wasn't thinking cleRly lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bajaha posted:

I thought I remembered a scene where he was questioning Virgil how he was there with him. With the implication that Kevin figured out he must have died. Early on in the episode.

That quite possible could have happened and I just didn't remember it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sheesh I can't wait to re-watch this episode tonight and just focus on ONLY the background stuff

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've been DVR'ing everything past S2E3 to binge later and by just glancing over this thread without spoilering anything for myself I think I need to get on the loving ball and watch this poo poo.

Moboe
Apr 13, 2014
The music in this episode was perfect! Verdi’s “Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves” complements every beat of Garvey's dramatic eyebrows.

Vilkata
Jun 22, 2004

BonoMan posted:

That quite possible could have happened and I just didn't remember it.

He asked him something alone the lines of "What are you doing here?" and Virgil replied "Atoning." Which Kevin picked up on as he killed himself to become his guide.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pahuyuth posted:

I've been DVR'ing everything past S2E3 to binge later and by just glancing over this thread without spoilering anything for myself I think I need to get on the loving ball and watch this poo poo.

uhhhhhyeah

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vilkata posted:

He asked him something alone the lines of "What are you doing here?" and Virgil replied "Atoning." Which Kevin picked up on as he killed himself to become his guide.

Oh poo poo yeah I totally remember. Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

Kevin cries in pretty much every episode, I love it. Theroux is really good at it.

• Locked thread