Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fun fact there have been 22 thread posts about that brand in this thread since June 2013 and you have 10 of them

Do you own one or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I think they're cute. I have a CF-Y7 extremely used.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

Makes you appreciate business class laptops that Dell, Lenovo, HP and others build where you can get at the ram, hard drive, keyboard with just 2-4 screws and doesn't require total disassembly of the device. The screen is slightly more work, but that's just the way things work.

Ram upgrade on my X230 was under 90 seconds, most of that time was spent marveling at how thin the magnesium RAM cover was, and particularly that they went through the effort of painting the part around the silver-colored frame black where the screw hole was, just in case someone ever unscrewed that particular screw.

:wtc:

Lenovo now has this

Then you have to pry up on it to get it to come off after unscrewing. Some people have broken the tabs doing this but I haven't had a problem.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

seaborgium posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the inspiron you're talking about right?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PYYDMQ?keywords=Dell%20Inspiron%20i7559-763BLK&qid=1448220025&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I'm getting my first laptop, and I wanted something that's going to last me several years and maybe be able to play some decent games like XCOM 2 or similar. If it can actually play Fallout 4, that should last me a while.

Could you define loud for the fans? It's mostly going to be sitting at a desk in the lab doing web browsing and word processing and spreadsheets, so if it's regularly loud as hell that's no good.

I just got the same laptop. Threw a 1TB HDD in the second slot and put Fallout 4 on it last night. Looks fine on medium and ran really smoothly. No clue about the FPS, but it wasn't at all jittery.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Should I go with http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-E455-20DE001PUS-notebook/dp/B00SCC7F92 or try to snag http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14-3452-laptop/pd?oc=dncwf009b&model_id=inspiron-14-3452-laptop for $199 during cyber monday?

This is just for the very basics of computing plus maybe some light audio production stuff.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I ordered the inspiron: gonna pop a 256gb SDD in the second slot when I gets here.

2 quick questions: the SSD is my current laptop's boot drive. Shall I format it before I swap it over? And I assume there's only space for 1 SATA drive?

And two: how is google drive as mass storage? The 1TB option seems like a decent solution for files.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Those of you getting that Inspiron, XPS 13, and XPS 15: watch out for the backdoor root certificate: https://np.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/3twmfv/dell_ships_laptops_with_rogue_root_ca_exactly/

Dell's doing the same thing Lenovo did!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Backdoor root certificate notwithstanding, what makes the XPS13 better than that Inspiron that seaborgium linked?

I keep reading reviews of the XPS saying it's the best Windows laptop on the market, but the Inspiron seems to have better specs across the board. Is it just because the XPS is in the Ultrabook class?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Size, materials, and battery life.

The Inspiron is absolutely more powerful, but that's not usually what people are looking for in a laptop and so it isn't a significant factor in reviews.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Size, materials, and battery life.

The Inspiron is absolutely more powerful, but that's not usually what people are looking for in a laptop and so it isn't a significant factor in reviews.
Yeah, a 17" Alienware could outspec anything else on the market but that doesn't mean it's a good laptop.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Thanks. I'm in the market for a new laptop, trying to find something with enough power to do some gaming (not necessarily top of the line) but also under $800. I don't really mind lugging around a heavier machine so for the price I think something like the Inspiron is probably closer to what I had in mind.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just got that Dell in this morning. Haven't checked for the Backdoor fuckery, but the trackpad is loud trash. I got a mouse at least.

EDIT: My work desktop is infected, so it's not just laptops. I'm gonna delete with certmgr. Bad idea?

ButtWolf fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 23, 2015

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I just got a Lenovo Flex3 15 inch with the i7-6500 chip and 1TB hard drive and 8 gigs ram for under $800 at Costco. It retails at $899 but until Nov 29th there's an instant $125 off.

Now to get used to this trackpad and the funky blocky keys.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Is there a default recommendation for a 15.6" laptop with a decent screen/battery life? My parents are looking for something they can take while traveling so something with a decent keyboard and build quality would be nice. I think the budget is < 1000$. They won't use it for anything beyond web browsing, and videos.

I figure at minimum it should have:
1080p IPS Screen
8 GB Ram
256 GB SSD

Anyone have any models they have experience with? I know there is a lot of stuff out there that meets those requirements.

marie_eh fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 24, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, Signature Edition Dells from the Microsoft store do not have the cert installed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would stop using banking sites, credit card, ebay, amazon etc until someone releases an "unfuck" patch on your Dell laptops. I would guess it will happen some time after Thanksgiving.

Until then, it wouldn't hurt to perform those delicate financial transactions on your up-to-date cell phone instead.

The chances that some 14 year old kid in Russia will gently caress up your credit forever (:ussr:) are pretty low, granted, but better safe than sorry, especially now that it's common knowledge.

Yeah Lenovo did this exact same thing a couple months ago.... twice. The NSA or CIA has to be involved, right? No sane lawyer would give them legal advice to do what Lenovo did, unless someone was paying serious cash to do it again :tinfoil:

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Do your banking from a Linux VM.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
The 2015 toshiba chromebook model cb35-c3300 is 300$ at costco. Am I going to find anything better at that price point for a netflix, youtube, facebook, reddit and email machine?

Is there anything in that pricepoint, new (I might look into a used thinkpad etc as per the OP as well) that I can install MS office 2013 on for school that does the other stuff above also? Currently using a HP dm1z that is physically falling apart and is a bit sluggish with multiple tabs and a video playing on one tab.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So I ordered a Surface Book from the second run. Said it'd ship mid-December, so I was surprised to have it delivered a couple days ago.

Said "Microsoft returns center" on the shipping label. That's probably a good sign.

Waited days to get a skin I ordered before messing with it. Turn it on and it goes to a login screen for a user account I didn't make and can't detect my wireless or sync with the pen or detach from the keyboard or anything.

Great quality control just shipping back out what appears to be a defective unit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dell has provided an uninstaller as well as manual instructions on how to remove the certificate.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/dell-apologizes-for-https-certificate-fiasco-provides-removal-tool/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I would stop using banking sites, credit card, ebay, amazon etc until someone releases an "unfuck" patch on your Dell laptops. I would guess it will happen some time after Thanksgiving.

Until then, it wouldn't hurt to perform those delicate financial transactions on your up-to-date cell phone instead.

The chances that some 14 year old kid in Russia will gently caress up your credit forever (:ussr:) are pretty low, granted, but better safe than sorry, especially now that it's common knowledge.

Yeah Lenovo did this exact same thing a couple months ago.... twice. The NSA or CIA has to be involved, right? No sane lawyer would give them legal advice to do what Lenovo did, unless someone was paying serious cash to do it again :tinfoil:

Technically Superfish did it, not Lenovo.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

king of the bongo posted:

The 2015 toshiba chromebook model cb35-c3300 is 300$ at costco. Am I going to find anything better at that price point for a netflix, youtube, facebook, reddit and email machine?
No, not for $300.

king of the bongo posted:

Is there anything in that pricepoint, new (I might look into a used thinkpad etc as per the OP as well) that I can install MS office 2013 on for school that does the other stuff above also?
Not really. Depending on how much and often you need to use Office, you may be able to get away with a combination of using Google Drive instead, using Office Online, or Chrome Remote Desktoping into a computer with Office 2013.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Dell has provided an uninstaller as well as manual instructions on how to remove the certificate.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/dell-apologizes-for-https-certificate-fiasco-provides-removal-tool/

Sweet! Thanks!

Here are the direct links from the article, for posterity

auto tool: https://dellupdater.dell.com/Downloads/APP009/eDellRootCertFix.exe

manual removal: https://dellupdater.dell.com/Downloads/APP009/eDellRootCertRemovalInstructions.docx

how to check if your Dell laptop is "infected"

Dell customers can also manually check for the threat by doing the following:

-go to the start menu, type "mmc" and press Enter
-Go to File -> Add/Remove Snap in
-Pick certificates and press Add
-Choose Computer account and press Next
-Choose Local computer & press Finish
-Press Ok
-Expand Certificates and Trusted Root Certification Authorities
-Pick the Certificates folder and look to see if the eDellRoot is present

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations on good electronic wipes? The new laptop picks up smudges pretty easily and due to the soft touch textured plastic they don't exactly come off easily.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I'm looking for a really small, portable Windows laptop for audio recording and basic audio editing. I need it to be able to run Reaper, record multiple tracks at once (via a USB audio interface/recording device) and run some VST plugins. From experience a first gen i3 + 4GB Ram is already more than enough for these tasks. It needs to be as quiet as possible. Display quality and battery life are not very important. I already have an SSD, so this is also not an issue. Budget is up to 600€, but I only want to spend as much as necessary.

I'm okay with buying used and I found these rather old 12-inch HP elitebooks with i5 processors for very little money on Ebay. Are they any good?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

More modern laptops use considerably less power. Less power = less heat = less noise. I'm moderately curious if the Asus X305 is capable of doing what you need. I was able to do 4 track audio recording with a 2005 era celeron laptop in Linux using Audacity but I'm not sure what Reaper is like in comparison.

Anything Ivy Bridge (late 2012) or newer will probably idle at or near silent, but you'll see even better improvements by going with Haswell.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Any good ultra budget black friday laptops?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Hadlock posted:

More modern laptops use considerably less power. Less power = less heat = less noise. I'm moderately curious if the Asus X305 is capable of doing what you need. I was able to do 4 track audio recording with a 2005 era celeron laptop in Linux using Audacity but I'm not sure what Reaper is like in comparison.

Anything Ivy Bridge (late 2012) or newer will probably idle at or near silent, but you'll see even better improvements by going with Haswell.

Thanks for your quick answer! I'm looking at used Elitebooks and Thinkpads with Ivy Bridge processors right now. They seem to be really sturdy and only cost a fraction of the price of newer, only slightly faster models. I'm quite sure that the X305 you mentioned would be fast enough, but the price difference is a bit too big for me just for having an (admittedly much) slimmer chassis.

Would it be possible to underclock an Ivy Bridge i5 to avoid excessive heat and noise issues or is it even necessary? I know that modern CPUs are able to situationally adjust their clock speed, but still it might aim higher than necessary sometimes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

On the thinkpads you can set a specific fan profile. For example, you can have it run cooler (fan kicks on at a lower temp, so it won't cook your balls when in your lap), or run silent to a higher threshold (fan won't turn on until it's hot enough to cook eggs on). Other laptops may have this feature, but it's hard to find info on it in the reviews. Here in the states you can find an i5 T430 for under $400 depending on feature set.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

-Blackadder- posted:

You should be able to find a couple chromebooks in a $100-$150 range this black friday.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
I'm looking to get a laptop to use for some light gaming, working on the go (general desktop office apps) and use at conferences so a good few hours of battery life would be good. I have a Dell Inspiration m4800 for work, but it's a horrific beast of a thing to travel with as it weighs a ton and the battery is dead within a couple of hours.

I'm looking at the 13" rMBP (refurb) or the new Skylake XPS 13, are there any other options to consider? £900 is probably pushing my budget more than I'd like but it's workable.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Calidus posted:

You should be able to find a couple chromebooks in a $100-$150 range this black friday.

I don't think chrome books are for me.

Can I get a read on these?

ASUS F555LA-AB31 15.6-inch Full-HD Laptop (Core i3, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD) with Windows 10 $330

Dell H&O BF: Inspiron 15 3000 Series Laptop: Core i3, 4GB Memory, 500GB HDD, 15.6" Display, GeForce 820M, Windows Home 10 for $230

Best Buy BF: Asus Laptop: Intel Celeron(N3050), 4GB Memory, 500GB HDD, 15.6" Display, Windows 10 for $140

Some others.

Basically I'm looking for a 15.6 inch, non touch that doesn't crawl.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 25, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

-Blackadder- posted:

http://slickdeals.net/f/8302023-lenovo-ideapad-100s-11-6-windows-10-laptop-red-z3735f-2gb-ram-32gb-emmc-130-free-shipping

Best Buy via eBay has Lenovo IdeaPad 100s 11.6" Windows 10 Laptop in Red on sale for $129.99. Shipping is free.

Specs:

11.6" 1366x768 HD resolution display
1.33GHz Intel Atom Z3735F processor
2GB DDR3L RAM
32GB eMMC flash storage
MicroSD memory card slot
WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n
Ports:
2x USB 2.0
1x HDMI output
Windows 10 Operating System
Includes 1-year Microsoft Office 365 Personal subscription

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I could use some help making a decision--do I send my Gigabyte P34G-v2 back for *another* RMA, after the first lasted all of two days, or just knuckle down and buy a new machine? I've got like six months of 2-year warranty left, and I really did like the machine, but I have a looming suspicion getting things all the way fixed will be kinda Sisyphean.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Trebuchet King posted:

I could use some help making a decision--do I send my Gigabyte P34G-v2 back for *another* RMA, after the first lasted all of two days, or just knuckle down and buy a new machine? I've got like six months of 2-year warranty left, and I really did like the machine, but I have a looming suspicion getting things all the way fixed will be kinda Sisyphean.

Do both, then sell the 'fixed' one you get back.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Oh look Dell Root Certificate installed onto Dells

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3008478/security/and-then-there-were-two-another-dangerous-dell-root-certificate-discovered.html

But Strong Sauce you say, that is old news from a couple of days ago. Nope. This is actually _yet_ another Root Cert Dell installed onto customer laptops.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Dell-Inspiron-15-i5558-5718SLV-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.328882600

I'm having my mom buy this microsoft store Dell for a mom computer, and will be swapping out the HD for the $60 Sandisk SSD that's been on sale.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Strong Sauce posted:

Oh look Dell Root Certificate installed onto Dells
Phew, thank goodness I bought [some brand whose stupid insecure root certificate garbage hasn't yet been publicized] rather than Dell or Lenovo!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Should have gone HP, they only lose your password to hackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

roomforthetuna posted:

Phew, thank goodness I bought [some brand whose stupid insecure root certificate garbage hasn't yet been publicized] rather than Dell or Lenovo!

Aphrodite posted:

Should have gone HP, they only lose your password to hackers.

I agree that this isn't an issue because other vendors theoretically may or may not do something similar.