Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

evilweasel posted:

tbf we explicitly embrace historical revisionism and writing our vanquished enemies out of history

does anyone really remember molle as anything more than a bumbling hvac repairman with delusions of grandeur anymore

No we don't. When I joined I was told that is exactly what he was. I don't appreciate you inferring he was anything more, whomever you are. :colbert:

grumplestiltzkin posted:

no, but that doesn't mean that i can't point out that calling your empire the latin word for "the government" isn't lazy and dumb.

This is a very bad translation, though I'd totally be down with Mittens granting writs of imperium, and defining Directors by their relative auctoritas (Namamai/Flanders) and potestas (whoever pays SRP)

Numismancer posted:

Scott Manley's video has gotten us a ton of new backers today, but if I had my druthers I'd go back in time and strip out anything me-related the ~experts~ suggested we use, knock the asking price down to 40k or so, and say that more money = more writing time for Jeff and see what folks want. But I don't have time travel powers so whatevs, and the ultimate responsibility is mine because I could have listened to my gut and put my foot down to stop it.

I do suspect that our enemies hoped that a failed KS would somehow make us go away or stop murderzoning everything that gets in our way in-game, which may be why the howling is at such a high decibel level. We were supposed to quietly slink off and not bother anyone again - just like every time we have some kind of reversal or screwup, then continue our conquests regardless.

Maybe Mittani Media could pay Endie to write hilarious fan-fic about the early history of Goonwaffe.

Glory of Arioch posted:

the tl;dr is that all of nullsec becomes vassals to us

occupants keep sov and keep moons as long as they pay tribute to us

in return we build roads and do nice things and, most crucially, don't send reavers or rear end in a top hat squad or EG to their poo poo to burn it down

Is there a link to a SoundCloud or something? I don't see anything in the War Room.

Endie posted:

It sounded like it was still very much at the concept stage but probably pretty much what you imagine: turn up in a region with tax-gatherers, demand rent, send imperium fleets to entosis/siege the ones who don't pay up, rinse, repeat.

It relies on there being no viable coalition of people who will turn up for the timers*, but given that the defenders will be hapless neutrals and groups of 300 guys with no doctrines, it's pretty unlikely that we'll meet any vast and organised coalitions willing to make it tricky. I suspect that sequential episodes of blueballs will prove a problem and lead to a few underpowered fleets being bombed or ganked or something but it's content of a sort and it should last a while at least.

*Edit: enough to make it necessary to do serious business pings and send large numbers who can then be consistently blueballed. We have trouble with Pure Blind grinding people down, after all.

In other words, Reavers writ large?

Glory of Arioch posted:

if ccp gave me a heapin helpin of my own druthers, reactions would become a separate RAM activity with a new set of slots that characters train, and a separate industry cost index

that way you don't have to micromanage a bunch of stupid structures that do nothing but tick over an integer in the database every hour, you just start a bunch of 30d jobs then spin ships and make dick jokes the rest of the time

I think reprocessing should be the same thing. Instant reprocessing kills my immersion. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Bilirubin posted:

Xolve @Xolves
Digi still mad I got him banned from somethingawful. #tweetfleet #angry #goons #GrrrPL

man i looked at that twitter, xolve you are literally a salt elemental you need to bring it back down dude

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ynglaur posted:

Is there a link to a SoundCloud or something? I don't see anything in the War Room.

there isn't, the idea is too raw to really enshrine in that way yet

once they've ironed it out a bit more they'll probably post about it

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

man i looked at that twitter, xolve you are literally a salt elemental you need to bring it back down dude

It's all a matter of perspective really.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Xolve posted:

It's all a matter of perspective really.

yours is of your own colon

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Xolve @Xolves
Better stop playing that game you don't play! #Tweetfleet #Digi #LOL

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

quote:

#LOL

quote:

#LOL

quote:

#LOL

quote:

#LOL

quote:

#LOL

quote:

#LOL

quote:

#LOL

quote:

#LOL

quote:

#LOL

quote:

#LOL

quote:

#LOL

quote:

#LOL

quote:

#LOL

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seriously, why would you hashtag #LOL. Stupidity of it aside, do you think that someone who has searched twitter for "LOL" will find your post interesting and/or informative?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

CommonShore posted:

searched twitter

CommonShore posted:

interesting and/or informative

uhhhhhhhhh

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well that's the ideal with hashtags isn't it? A discovery tool?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i think anyone who has seen digi's posting knows he doesn't need any help getting banned for it

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

CommonShore posted:

Well that's the ideal with hashtags isn't it? A discovery tool?

i was talking about anything posted to redditTWITTER ever

too many white noise factories these days

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 23, 2015

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

CommonShore posted:

Seriously, why would you hashtag #LOL. Stupidity of it aside, do you think that someone who has searched twitter for "LOL" will find your post interesting and/or informative?

Pretty sure nothing in the history of twitter has ever been 'interesting and/or informative'.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

evilweasel posted:

i think anyone who has seen digi's posting knows he doesn't need any help getting banned for it

never was a ban more justified.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rhymenoserous posted:

aatrek?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rhymenoserous posted:

eh he was read only on goonfleet dot com for years, way before he was CI direkkktor

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ullerrm posted:

He called it.

But yeah, Syndicate sucks balls again, and pretty much everyone awesome in Groon went to HV... except for Vic, who joined Rote. :wtc:

It implies I'd actually resub though.

Too lazy tho

Arioch: I always look at your avatar and think it's Elmnt80 posting, and then I'm sad because I can't shitpost at Elmnt80. Please rectify this, tia.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

OWLS! posted:

Arioch: I always look at your avatar and think it's Elmnt80 posting, and then I'm sad because I can't shitpost at Elmnt80. Please rectify this, tia.

:10bux: and you can change it for me

:effort:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Glory of Arioch posted:

:10bux: and you can change it for me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Glory of Arioch posted:

i was talking about anything posted to redditTWITTER ever

too many white noise factories these days

Oh.

I guess I use twitter differently than most folks. I just follow accounts who are either suppliers of interesting articles and/or who are habitual goodposters. My twitter feed is a wonderland of good Internet content, or at least of the internet content I like.

But yeah i was being a bit facetious about "Interesting and Informative." I could have written "nobody wants to read your stupid shitpost, so why would you hashtag it?"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

CommonShore posted:

Oh.

I guess I use twitter differently than most folks. I just follow accounts who are either suppliers of interesting articles and/or who are habitual goodposters. My twitter feed is a wonderland of good Internet content, or at least of the internet content I like.

But yeah i was being a bit facetious about "Interesting and Informative." I could have written "nobody wants to read your stupid shitpost, so why would you hashtag it?"

yeah that is basically using it as gimped RSS which is legit since it has critical mass as that

however most people on twitter are using it to ejaculate their dumb thoughts out into the internet

and while i would never deny a person his inalienable right to :justpost: you gotta call em as they are

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah that is basically using it as gimped RSS which is legit since it has critical mass as that

however most people on twitter are using it to ejaculate their dumb thoughts out into the internet

and while i would never deny a person his inalienable right to :justpost: you gotta call em as they are

Fair. I guess I also think of myself as fighting against the ejaculation of dumb thoughts onto the internet via social media by refusing to follow anyone who posts like that.

BRB need to take my teaspoon on another trip to the ocean. :v:

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE
Finally SA isn't redirecting me to some lovely iPhone app (I think my cell got some sort of virus). Anyway, even though the plans for this colonization thing hasn't started, is it ok for use to go ahead and started extorting areas for trial runs?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bigbillthaboss posted:

Finally SA isn't redirecting me to some lovely iPhone app (I think my cell got some sort of virus). Anyway, even though the plans for this colonization thing hasn't started, is it ok for use to go ahead and started extorting areas for trial runs?

scooter mccabe apparently started sending out feelers so you can give it a shot, but don't expect any followthrough from us until we get our ducks in a row :v:

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Bigbillthaboss posted:

Like we told scooter, "We love the gumption, but cool it until things are a little more defined."

As for spending a percentage of your cut, no real need to SRP coalition forces but we are looking at letting you pay off one of your vassals with isk or favor in order to form a colonial militia.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Goonswarm fulfilling BoB's old goal of total hegemony and forcing all to bend the knee would be delightful to watch

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE

Samahiel posted:

Like we told scooter, "We love the gumption, but cool it until things are a little more defined."

As for spending a percentage of your cut, no real need to SRP coalition forces but we are looking at letting you pay off one of your vassals with isk or favor in order to form a colonial militia.

I would just want my region extorted in style - if you die your kill mail looks like it belonged in the yacht club.

Plus I would like to make "muscle work" more profitable than sitting in a haven and ask ratting.

Edit: SRP is more than enough but sometimes people just like seeing ~numbers in their wallet~ to feel accomplished and I would be willing to do that is what I'm trying to say I guess.

Bigbillthaboss fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 23, 2015

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi
Bill are you still in widot or some poo poo?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Glory of Arioch posted:

"you're retarded and mad LMAO i win the thread"

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE

mpaarating posted:

Bill are you still in widot or some poo poo?

How did you guess?

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Bigbillthaboss posted:

I would just want my region extorted in style - if you die your kill mail looks like it belonged in the yacht club.

Plus I would like to make "muscle work" more profitable than sitting in a haven and ask ratting.

Edit: SRP is more than enough but sometimes people just like seeing ~numbers in their wallet~ to feel accomplished and I would be willing to do that is what I'm trying to say I guess.

One delightful thing early surveys have turned up is how fast the rest of nullsec will turn on their neighbors in exchange for a lighter yoke or a star on their cap.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Bigbillthaboss posted:

I had that too. It was really hard to get rid of.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Samahiel posted:

One delightful thing early surveys have turned up is how fast the rest of nullsec will turn on their neighbors in exchange for a lighter yoke or a star on their cap.

Finally, a use for decorations.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Goonswarm fulfilling BoB's old goal of total hegemony and forcing all to bend the knee would be delightful to watch

Technically BoB's old goal - once we spewed their director forums for all to see, was never to conquer the galaxy - it was to hurf a bunch of blurfs and set off a Great War which they then gloriously win to prove their utter dominance. We ruined that plan by winning, and they never got beyond feudalism as a system of government. This will be more entertaining, we suspect.

We'd never try to conquer the whole galaxy anyway, being killed in your sleep by the mafiya is no one's idea of a good time.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

If the whole viceroy thing gets its own sig can this be the logo?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://crossingzebras.com/the-imperium-and-the-road-to-serfdom/ lol

I love how people can't seem to understand why people want to be in the Imperium. "Why don't you guys want to play for the losing team???"

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

So i've been lazy and haven't jumped back into goons yet while I dick around with industry. Does anybody have good advice on where/how to buy minerals/ore.

Also miniluv showed up in Sinq Laison and killed 5 of my friends doing an ice mining op. Absolutely wonderful to see. They still refuse to tank their ships. In Brapelille.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Krataar posted:

So i've been lazy and haven't jumped back into goons yet while I dick around with industry. Does anybody have good advice on where/how to buy minerals/ore.

Also miniluv showed up in Sinq Laison and killed 5 of my friends doing an ice mining op. Absolutely wonderful to see. They still refuse to tank their ships. In Brapelille.

You buy ore in jita, just like everything else. If you're doing manufacturing in highsec that's where you buy minerals as well.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

I love how people can't seem to understand why people want to be in the Imperium. "Why don't you guys want to play for the losing team???"

I like how it starts off with

quote:

The need for the Imperium ceased over a year ago, with the release of Phoebe. N3 disintegrated while NC. and PL both lost the majority of their rental empires. Even if every major power in nullsec combined their forces, they likely wouldn’t have the strength to defeat the Imperium. So what is the point in its continued existence?

As if all of the people we've curbstomped over the years wouldn't reform into poo poo voltron the minute we disbanded the CFC and fire off an invasion.

Did no one pay attention to what happened when TEST went it alone? A single big alliance was picked apart by a dozen vultures before a real war was even declared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orlando Furioso
Nov 7, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

The comments on the associated reddit post about that article are peak cognitive dissonance. Apparently the Imperium is in some sort of indeterminate state where we're both utterly invincible yet one small step from catastrophic collapse...

It's hilarious to watch.

• Locked thread