Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kristov posted:

But yeah. The problem in America is that poor people have no money. However you want to solve this problem will work so long as the end result is poor people have more money.

We already pay farmers a poo poo load of money in subsidies, why don't we just go all the way and nationalize food production and give every american free food (obviously some restrictions would need to apply).

Oh that's right... people (re: assholes) think that if the poor ate steak every night it wouldn't be special to order it well done at black angus. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kristov posted:

Pretty sure social working is outside the scope of a hospital's mission. Traditionally this is arresting imminent death, not warding off looming death.

What you need are more social workers that go into people's homes to follow up and poo poo, which requires a different bureaucracy entirely.

Not if a hospital wants to lower readmission rates it ain't. A hospital should loom off death, and not arrest death.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

SedanChair posted:

Ah ok

Burn her

That's from a statement by the students so you really should take it with a grain of salt.

e: The student who was "devastated" by her remarks lol

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Kingfish posted:

That's from a statement by the students so you really should take it with a grain of salt.

e: The student who was "devastated" by her remarks lol

Nah, I was just looking for the context of what she actually said and there it is. She's a clueless moron and should die working at a gas station.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've discovered one weird trick to not saying the n-word and conservatives hate me!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Kristov, I think our disagreement is one of perspective: you see it as government's role to loom off death, while I see it as the role of the nonprofit sector, to which your hospital more than likely belongs. If anything, it is the government's sole authority to impose death; for why do we have a government, if not to have it as the sole lawful authority able to impose death?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

lol, ok sc.

*tousles your hair*

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The only time anybody should say the N word is in a completely historical context in a class about the history of white people being terrible to African Americans.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ratbert90 posted:

The only time anybody should say the N word is in a completely historical context in a class about the history of white people being terrible to African Americans.

If only that assistant professor used the term 'Mondays' or 'Canadians' like a good blue-collar worker, sheesh.

zoux posted:

I've discovered one weird trick to not saying the n-word and conservatives hate me!

What is 'coding' for $1,000, Alex?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

If only that assistant professor used the term 'Mondays' or 'Canadians' like a good blue-collar worker, sheesh.

Why couldn't she just say "N word" ?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Winner is Jew posted:

We already pay farmers a poo poo load of money in subsidies, why don't we just go all the way and nationalize food production and give every american free food (obviously some restrictions would need to apply).

Oh that's right... people (re: assholes) think that if the poor ate steak every night it wouldn't be special to order it well done at black angus. :rolleyes:

Considering the mechanism by which much of the subsidies work, the government already buys tons of food and is free to give it out, if they wanted, to the poor. Though it'd be kinda hard for your average person to deal with sacks of unprocessed crops.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Luigi Thirty posted:

Get ready for more handwringing about God drat uppity college students!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...flow%3Afacebook

How hard is it to STOP SAYING THE N WORD IF YOU'RE WHITE?

Saying "the n-word" is silly. Make air quotes if you feel the need but there is a difference between using a word and mentioning a word. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use%E2%80%93mention_distinction

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ugh look more pics of that illegal immigrant promoting benevolence and poo poo :jerkbag:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ratbert90 posted:

What if I'm singing along to Snoop, Dre, Cube, Pac, Jay Z, or NWA?

Asking for a friend...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I can't wait for one of them to rewatch It's a Wonderful Life and have Fox n Friends defend Mr. Potter.

Don't be such a square, Potterville looked like a blast.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ratbert90 posted:

Why couldn't she just say "N word" ?

That infantalizes the word, doesn't it?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

What if I'm singing along to Snoop, Dre, Cube, Pac, Jay Z, or NWA?

Asking for a friend...

I'm white, sorry; can't help ya. :smith:

My Imaginary GF posted:

Considering the social and historical stigmas on this particular racial slur, I don't care.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Kingfish posted:

lol, ok sc.

*tousles your hair*

I mean, you can always present an alternate opinion at the next White Student Union meeting.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

fishmech posted:

Considering the mechanism by which much of the subsidies work, the government already buys tons of food and is free to give it out, if they wanted, to the poor. Though it'd be kinda hard for your average person to deal with sacks of unprocessed crops.

So idea.

What if we gave poor people the job of processing those crops... and then gave them the processed crops after?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

My Imaginary GF posted:

Huck's friend, N-Word Jim

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Ugh look more pics of that illegal immigrant promoting benevolence and poo poo :jerkbag:

I do believe that comic was made during a time when most refugees were still deserving, like Poles and Hungarians in Europe.

baw posted:

Huck's friend, N-Word Jim

When we outlaw English class, only outlaws will read.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

A Winner is Jew posted:

On a deeper American cuisine is just a wreck from the combo of "high calorie for fieldwork -> early 1900s moralism and ethnic issues wipe out a lot of dishes and schools brought over -> Great Depression wipes out budding uniquely American traditions -> mass canning/marketing buries taught skills between generations -> subsidies go to those entrenched mass production groups -> coordinated campaign to keep on subsidized food"

So much of truly American culture that was built around the good taste, good health, and purchasing power of someone from here got blown up over the past century in favor of "CONSUME CORN"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

On a deeper American cuisine is just a wreck from the combo of "high calorie for fieldwork -> early 1900s moralism and ethnic issues wipe out a lot of dishes and schools brought over -> Great Depression wipes out budding uniquely American traditions -> mass canning/marketing buries taught skills between generations -> subsidies go to those entrenched mass production groups -> coordinated campaign to keep on subsidized food"

So much of truly American culture that was built around the good taste, good health, and purchasing power of someone from here got blown up over the past century in favor of "CONSUME CORN"

This is why Chicago is such a great city: We have the nation's premiere foodie culture.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

My Imaginary GF posted:

She is getting thrown under the bus because of the context that she said it in ie because she said she doesn't notice racism everywhere which is the wrong thing to think and say if you want to keep yuor job in academia.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kro-Bar posted:

PPP has a fun new poll out just in time for Thanksgiving.

I enjoyed that more Republicans think Trump would cause a scene at Thanksgiving dinner than would actually want him as a guest.

I'm voting Hilldog, but I'd take either Bernie or Trump over her as a Thanksgiving guest.

Unless Bill comes with, then Hillary shoots back to the top.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

She is getting thrown under the bus because of the context that she said it in ie because she said she doesn't notice racism everywhere which is the wrong thing to think and say if you want to keep your job in academia.

Well; academia IS supposed to favor the fairly intelligent. Sounds like she would be more suited to be a politician instead. :v:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

Well; academia IS supposed to favor the fairly intelligent. Sounds like she would be more suited to be a politician instead. :v:

I personally disagree with her.She is wrong. Its just hosed up that she is being fired for it under the pretense of her being an unreconstructed racist.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

My Imaginary GF posted:

This is why Chicago is such a great city: We have the nation's premiere foodie culture.

Lol, your "pizzas" are an abomination and lose you any rights to claim food supremacy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Flobbster posted:

Lol, your "pizzas" are an abomination and lose you any rights to claim food supremacy.

John Stewart of course says it all perfectly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrqSizC-T-4

:colbert:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Kingfish posted:

I personally disagree with her.She is wrong. Its just hosed up that she is being fired for it under the pretense of her being an unreconstructed racist.

Given that line about her having a history of being unsympathetic toward students, this well could be a last straw sort of deal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Luigi Thirty posted:

Get ready for more handwringing about God drat uppity college students!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...flow%3Afacebook

How hard is it to STOP SAYING THE N WORD IF YOU'RE WHITE?

My wife said it in a class she taught, in an academic context, it was literally part of the text of the play they were studying. And she did get a complaint, luckily the student offended came directly to her after the class, my wife apologized, and apologized further to the entire class at the next lecture. It never went further or to adminstration. She's not from here (the deep south) though, she's from Chicago and New York and naively thought such a thing could be uttered in the proper academic context without offending someone. I was pretty upset with her naivety and begged her not do something so stupid and possibly jeopardize her career again.

She still teaches material at the same level of provocativeness, but only about feminist issues never about racial anymore.

Is this a good thing? That students if they are going to learn about provocative racial material written by black authors, they are only going to hear it from a black professor, a black professor they'll probably never actually have cause there's like two in the department(and every time they hire more the other professors having just secured tenure get new job offers for higher pay our university can't compete with)? I don't really think so.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

NY pizza is greasy floppy garbage while Chicago pizza is actually the best.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A Winner is Jew posted:

So idea.

What if we gave poor people the job of processing those crops... and then gave them the processed crops after?

You mean like a method of... sharing these crops?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

My wife said it in a class she taught, in an academic context, it was literally part of the text of the play they were studying. And she did get a complaint, luckily the student offended came directly to her after the class, my wife apologized, and apologized further to the entire class at the next lecture. It never went further or to adminstration. She's not from here (the deep south) though, she's from Chicago and New York and naively thought such a thing could be uttered in the proper academic context without offending someone. I was pretty upset with her naivety and begged her not do something so stupid and possibly jeopardize her career again.

She still teaches material at the same level of provocativeness, but only about feminist issues never about racial anymore.

Is this a good thing? That students if they are going to learn about provocative racial material written by black authors, they are only going to hear it from a black professor, a black professor they'll probably never actually have cause there's like two in the department(and every time they hire more the other professors having just secured tenure get new job offers for higher pay our university can't compete with)? I don't really think so.

I think the n-word is by itself in terms of offensiveness and historical context and that word coming out of a white mouth no matter the context has the power to injure. So I don't ever say it.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

The Kingfish posted:

If you can't eat it without a fork and knife, it ain't pizza :colbert:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I can't wait for one of them to rewatch It's a Wonderful Life and have Fox n Friends defend Mr. Potter.

They did, in the same Lego Movie rant.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Greatbacon posted:

If you can't eat it without a fork and knife, it ain't pizza :colbert:

Apparently he doesn't know the the only way to eat a pizza is to fold it. :colbert:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Kingfish posted:

Chicago "pizza" isn't pizza.

zoux posted:

I think the n-word is by itself in terms of offensiveness and historical context and that word coming out of a white mouth no matter the context has the power to injure. So I don't ever say it.

While I tend to agree, I have on the odd occasion found it impossible not to use it when quoting some specific historical figure (the most recent time I remember being when I brought up Muhammad Ali's resistance to the draft during Vietnam), though I always preface the line with a disclaimer, both to make sure the students who haven't been paying attention don't mishear me and think I've suddenly turned klansman, and also because to no be a giant rear end in a top hat.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
I also feel the strong urge to use racial slurs in my day to day life, and do not understand how this could be an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Flobbster posted:

Our pizzas don't leave children with malnutrition nor diabetes.

Reform SNAP to only be usable on deep-dish pizzas.

ratbert90 posted:

Apparently he doesn't know the the only way to eat a pizza is to fold it. :colbert:

You can't fold real pizza.

• Locked thread