Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
For the one or two people who have actually played it, how's Fast Food Chain Magnate with 3? Looking at taking baby's first Splotter plunge and I think I've got two regulars who would play (they do fine in TM/Argent/TS/Tzolkin/Steam, so I think they could handle the step up). I was also looking at Roads & Boats, but FFCM looks a little more appealing and if I'm gonna spend $100 I may as well get the game I really want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

GrandpaPants posted:

Twilight Imperium: Legacy.

Gutter Owl posted:

Sixth thought: Quit trying to design TI3 Legacy, brain. We're already behind at work.

Put some empty (or with some blank cardboard) envelopes in the box with "open it after the second game finishes" on them. There.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gutter Owl posted:

1) Mostly correct. Every week he also gains a despair counter. Once he has three despair counters, he starts producing 3 automatic influence every time he moves, just to speed the end of the game.

2) Yes, hunters may say or show whatever they want, but must also tell/show Dracula. During trading, however, you may converse/show cards privately.

For the record, he gains influence due to Fury of Dracula only when he plays a city or hides; sailing around doesn't gain him anything, nor do Feed/Dark Call.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Gutter Owl posted:

At work, we have Inbluenza, Kohlera, and Dysencherry.

Is it bad that my group is in April and we've only eradicated one disease one time? I'd ask in the spoilers thread but I don't want to spoil myself on things yet to come. It probably doesn't help that we've been hovering at 2ish funding (dipped down to zero for our last game).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

What was the gooncensus on Eminent Domain?

or more accurately, any thoughts on it in relation to other deckbuilders

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Hauki posted:

It's Just Fun.

But really, it's good, the system of taking a role each turn and putting it into your deck after execution is a great way to allow you control over how your deck evolves and your game will play out. The expansion fixes some problems with the base game (allows military strategies, adds different starting positions) so if you like EM after a few plays, definitely spend the money.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Gutter Owl posted:

Sixth thought: Quit trying to design TI3 Legacy, brain. We're already behind at work.

I admit part of it would just be me amused at a Legacy game that would get played once a year, but to give it "serious" thought, the parts that can be legacied that I thought of in like five minutes:

Races. You discover more races based on certain things happening. The more obscure ones like the Nekro Virus and Ghosts of Creuss can have pretty fun unlock requirements, while others can simply be "after X games, these fuckers enter the galactic stage." Or even something like, hey you discovered their homeworld.

Tech. Technology advances and alters given various events happening in the game. If someone builds all of their PDS's, then maybe they might think about unlocking Deep Space Cannon. Someone who builds all their Fighters unlocks the +1 Fighter combat one. These can obviously be more creative and unique, but it's a natural extension of the Legacy format.

Politics. The politics deck is one of the biggest disappointments of the game, so seeing politics play out over [galactic time unit] would be an interesting dimension, especially if it's reactive to what happens in the game. If someone's homeworld gets glassed from orbit, maybe there'll be a policy to not allow that. If you "unlock" the Nekro Virus, maybe there'll be restrictions on AI that do something in the game. I dunno, I'm not actually designing it, but there's space to play with here.

But really it would just amuse me to see a "long" legacy game.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I don't know what y'all are doing but my TI3 games usually take 4-6 hours and have all (with maybe one exception) finished. Can't see TI3: Legacy working, because the objectives are so variable and I don't think anyone would want to play 10+ games with identical setup when one of the major benefits is hugely variable setup rules...

Also the game is crazy modular and most groups don't really play the same way.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hauki posted:

Probably the second best deckbuilding game after dominion, and that's unusually NOT damning it with faint praise. It's solid as is, much better with the expansion, and well worth buying.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

T-Bone posted:

For the one or two people who have actually played it, how's Fast Food Chain Magnate with 3? Looking at taking baby's first Splotter plunge and I think I've got two regulars who would play (they do fine in TM/Argent/TS/Tzolkin/Steam, so I think they could handle the step up). I was also looking at Roads & Boats, but FFCM looks a little more appealing and if I'm gonna spend $100 I may as well get the game I really want.

I think it's best with three. We played it with five last Saturday and after nearly five hours we were only 75% done. We quit before it was over.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I opened up deluxe Orleans and I'm disappointed the goods pieces were all distinct. You have to use the cardboard tokens cuz they are randomized on the map which makes the goods redundant. Really disappointing.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Chill la Chill posted:

I opened up deluxe Orleans and I'm disappointed the goods pieces were all distinct. You have to use the cardboard tokens cuz they are randomized on the map which makes the goods redundant. Really disappointing.

I just shuffle them in one of the bags and pour them out on the board, then slide them to the space nearest to where they landed on.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Hauki posted:

It's a lot more frontloaded than other deckbuilders, since we've been talking about that lately. There's a big pile of different technologies and if you need to know all the tier 3 options before starting your first game so you can plan your strategy you might not find that part fun. Your first should be faster than Kemet, at least.

It is a good deckbuilder. The only first and basically only deckbuilder that is trying to do something different from Dominion.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Would it be a bad idea to jump right into Pandemic: Legacy without even a passing knowledge of the vanilla game? I don't want to try it and then gently caress up our first game so badly the rest of the campaign falls flat.

Also how awful would it be if the group fluctuated a bit between plays? I have one or two people that have really variable schedules and don't make it to every session.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

Would it be a bad idea to jump right into Pandemic: Legacy without even a passing knowledge of the vanilla game? I don't want to try it and then gently caress up our first game so badly the rest of the campaign falls flat.

Also how awful would it be if the group fluctuated a bit between plays? I have one or two people that have really variable schedules and don't make it to every session.

You can play the base game with Legacy a few times to get the hang of it before starting. I can't speak to how it plays with people dropping in and out, but I will say it would be better to experience it like that than to not experience it at all.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

T-Bone posted:

They would probably enjoy Camel Up or perhaps Istanbul (might be slightly too complex). Pictomania is always a good choice. Ra/Modern Art are great but out of print. Biblios/No Thanks/Linko if you want to err on the shorter side. Bohnanza is pretty good too and plays up to 7. Skull isn't heavier than what you've listed but it's awesome. If you get 7+ there's always The Resistance.

I've been toying with the idea of Istanbul, actually. I quite enjoy it myself, but I'm worried they might not be interested in it in this context, but I'll feel them out and see. Meanwhile I'll take a look at some of your other suggestions. Thanks!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ojetor posted:

I just shuffle them in one of the bags and pour them out on the board, then slide them to the space nearest to where they landed on.

I haven't played it yet but I thought they were unknown until you travelled through them? If you get to see them on the board I guess that's ok. I'll probably end up mixing the random bag of cardboard squares and replacing them with wooden ones when they're flipped over.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Was just spitballing a Codenames variant: You set up the board, and then instead of using the spy sheet, after randomly selecting an assassin, you and the other spymaster take turns (secretly) drafting the words you want.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Elysium posted:

Was just spitballing a Codenames variant: You set up the board, and then instead of using the spy sheet, after randomly selecting an assassin, you and the other spymaster take turns (secretly) drafting the words you want.

This is clever, and would be a fun variant for asynchronous play (if that ever gets enabled by an app or whatever), but I think it adds a phase of the game that only has two of the players playing for however long. I guess you could be drafting game #2 while still playing game #1.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011
Thoughts on Kemet and Cyclades? Been considering picking one of them up as well. (Spoiler: probably still totally going to pick up TI3 because I'm a glutton for over complex timesink games)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Kemet is awesome.

I haven't played Cyclades.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Thoughts on Kemet and Cyclades? Been considering picking one of them up as well. (Spoiler: probably still totally going to pick up TI3 because I'm a glutton for over complex timesink games)

Both are good. Kemet is deeper and more aggressive and makes better use of its monsters.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

homullus posted:

Both are good. Kemet is deeper and more aggressive and makes better use of its monsters.

This. Both are worth owning, but Kemet is the better game.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

homullus posted:

This is clever, and would be a fun variant for asynchronous play (if that ever gets enabled by an app or whatever), but I think it adds a phase of the game that only has two of the players playing for however long. I guess you could be drafting game #2 while still playing game #1.

I don't think time is really an issue unless people have some really serious AP. A couple seconds per pick, marking it down on a sheet of paper or something. 5 seconds a pick? That's 85 seconds. I've seen people take 5 minutes as a spymaster only to give up and give a "1" clue.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

AmericanGeeksta posted:

Kemet is near the top of my list of games to get, but Cyclades is the one game I will try to play every chance I get. I love it. Easy to learn and relatively quick to play too.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Elysium posted:

I don't think time is really an issue unless people have some really serious AP. A couple seconds per pick, marking it down on a sheet of paper or something. 5 seconds a pick? That's 85 seconds. I've seen people take 5 minutes as a spymaster only to give up and give a "1" clue.

If you're playing the variant right, though, you are drafting based on clever clues > 1 that you can give, and perhaps blocking the opponent from doing theirs, so you're literally doubling the length of time that a spymaster is looking at the words while thinking "how can I get as many as possible of the ones left?". You're not just picking the words off the page at 5 second intervals, you know? Not unless you separately time that part.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Board game recommendations for a bunch of kids please , oldest is 12, rest are 6 up.

I have three kids aged 6 to 12 and they all love Pictomania. The youngest needs help but the older kids are fine on their own.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

homullus posted:

If you're playing the variant right, though, you are drafting based on clever clues > 1 that you can give, and perhaps blocking the opponent from doing theirs, so you're literally doubling the length of time that a spymaster is looking at the words while thinking "how can I get as many as possible of the ones left?". You're not just picking the words off the page at 5 second intervals, you know? Not unless you separately time that part.

Even if you take more than 5 seconds (which I actually recommend for some strategy), you're not even close to doubling the amount of time looking at the words before giving clues (which if you're anything like my friends, is like 20 minutes of hemming and hawing). Ok so you and the other spymaster look at the board. You spend 1-2 minutes just looking over it, looking for some synergies. You get first pick. You take Dog, hoping for some future animal synergy. He takes New York (possibly going geographical). That took 2 seconds. You take Fish. He takes Vacation. Another couple seconds. You look around the board again, grab Egypt from him. He thinks for a few seconds, takes River, possibly confounding your fish pick, and so on. You spend 5 minutes or so doing this maybe. Obviously, you can take longer, if you allow yourselves to pour over every strategical pick. But since this is an alternative to completely random words you would otherwise be getting, you give yourself a reasonable time limit (which also adds to the challenge of the draft). As a bonus this probably also shortens the amount of other clue time, as you have a general idea what you are going for already.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Elysium posted:

Even if you take more than 5 seconds (which I actually recommend for some strategy), you're not even close to doubling the amount of time looking at the words before giving clues (which if you're anything like my friends, is like 20 minutes of hemming and hawing). Ok so you and the other spymaster look at the board. You spend 1-2 minutes just looking over it, looking for some synergies. You get first pick. You take Dog, hoping for some future animal synergy. He takes New York (possibly going geographical). That took 2 seconds. You take Fish. He takes Vacation. Another couple seconds. You look around the board again, grab Egypt from him. He thinks for a few seconds, takes River, possibly confounding your fish pick, and so on. You spend 5 minutes or so doing this maybe. Obviously, you can take longer, if you allow yourselves to pour over every strategical pick. But since this is an alternative to completely random words you would otherwise be getting, you give yourself a reasonable time limit (which also adds to the challenge of the draft). As a bonus this probably also shortens the amount of other clue time, as you have a general idea what you are going for already.

Except you also want to block things that are easy for your opponent to get. It also drastically reduces the creativity of the "main" phase of the game, which is where most of the fun comes in.

Meanwhile, is there no assassin?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Except you also want to block things that are easy for your opponent to get. It also drastically reduces the creativity of the "main" phase of the game, which is where most of the fun comes in.

Meanwhile, is there no assassin?

The assassin is randomly assigned (somehow) before the draft. I agree you want to block your opponents potentials, which is why he takes River, and you take Egypt in my little example. I disagree it "drastically" reduces the creativity in the main phase, as the rest of the game plays similar, but with some added meta component (because they know you tried to pick synergies.. and that some might be confounded). It might fall apart if your rival spymaster is terrible and allows you to get all 8 of the animal clues on the board, but if he snags a couple, it might ruin your strategy to give animal clues at all, forcing you to come at your words differently.

I wouldn't propose this as an everyday replacement for the normal rules, just an interesting variant.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Elysium posted:

The assassin is randomly assigned (somehow) before the draft. I agree you want to block your opponents potentials, which is why he takes River, and you take Egypt in my little example. I disagree it "drastically" reduces the creativity in the main phase, as the rest of the game plays similar, but with some added meta component (because they know you tried to pick synergies.. and that some might be confounded). It might fall apart if your rival spymaster is terrible and allows you to get all 8 of the animal clues on the board, but if he snags a couple, it might ruin your strategy to give animal clues at all, forcing you to come at your words differently.

I wouldn't propose this as an everyday replacement for the normal rules, just an interesting variant.

I think it's the usual thing with house rules, which can work in the right environment but will really suffer for edge cases unfortunately

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Elysium posted:

For assigning the assassin, you could probably still just draw a spy card and use the one pictured, if you actually laid out the cards in a grid. Alternately, either spymaster can simply choose the assassin in place of drafting a word (perhaps to ruin the opposing spymaster's clue theme), and then the other spymaster on some later turn chooses whether they want to go first or second, and nominates one word for bystander as a weaker form of blocking.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

homullus posted:

Alternately, either spymaster can simply choose the assassin in place of drafting a word (perhaps to ruin the opposing spymaster's clue theme)

I like this one a lot actually. In lieu of a word either spymaster can pick the assassin at any time. Makes taking a run at too many similar words risky. Also would toy with doing something like a Blue-Red-Neutral-Neutral-Blue-Red pick structure, although that might add too much time if we're already worried about that. Perhaps implement some form of snaking if appropriate.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I recommend grabbing the iOS app and playing through a few games; you don't need to be an expert or something, but understanding the basic strategy seems like it would help. Playing through a vanilla game on the board is also possible and a good idea, but if you don't play very often then you may not want to "waste" a session on a full non-Legacy game. Legacy really is SO MUCH better experience, and will engage the group a lot stronger.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I've kind of been in the mood for some kind of economics game, one with a supply and demand mechanic would be pretty awesome. What are some of the better economic board games out that that involve supply and demand, trading, selling and buying, and maybe even contracts?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Archipelago is so close to that. No contracts, but everything else. 18xx games deal with the relative worth of train companies, not goods, but it may be a good place to start looking.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

T-Bone posted:

I'm also considering this. Would it play okay with 2 people, also? What is the timeframe with different player counts? Ie is 2h accurate for a 2 player game if people have an okay grasp of how to play it? I'm just worried about buying another super long game that no one will be able to ever commit to. :(

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

EvilChameleon posted:

I'm also considering this. Would it play okay with 2 people, also? What is the timeframe with different player counts? Ie is 2h accurate for a 2 player game if people have an okay grasp of how to play it? I'm just worried about buying another super long game that no one will be able to ever commit to. :(

45 minutes per person. Scales awesomely. Don't play with 5.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I've kind of been in the mood for some kind of economics game, one with a supply and demand mechanic would be pretty awesome. What are some of the better economic board games out that that involve supply and demand, trading, selling and buying, and maybe even contracts?

How much do you want things that aren't economics in your economics game? Because Container is basically Microeconomics: the Boardgame and is one of the most interesting games around but you'll need to pnp a copy (which is no big deal because it's a few simple player boards + generic cubes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If you can find it, Arkwright has a very cool supply and demand mechanism with shipping contracts. Container is awesome as well like mentioned, but even harder to find.