Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Alkydere posted:

I have never seen a pizza place I couldn't get anchovies at. :confused:

And yes, as someone who likes chunks of fishy salt on my pizza, I loving know.

I've never seen a city too poor to make pizza with mozzerella

Until I went to StL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

the_paradigm_shift posted:

Why is pointing out that black people are frequently targeted by police and shot at an alarmingly higher rate a bad thing?

Oh yeah, white people hate thinking about black people mattering, huh.

Its a bad thing if the optics are so toxic that "all lives matter" is being adopted as a right-wing buzzphrase.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Let me assure everyone that Korean pizza is the worst. Mayonnaise and Corn, people. Mayonnaise and Corn.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

greatn posted:

Let me assure everyone that Korean pizza is the worst. Mayonnaise and Corn, people. Mayonnaise and Corn.

Japanese isn't much better, iirc.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

The Kingfish posted:

Its a bad thing if the optics are so toxic that "all lives matter" is being adopted as a right-wing buzzphrase.

Yes because that totally wouldn't have happened if BLM had been less aggressive in their campaigning, because as we know the right never, ever wildly overreacts to anything and everything it perceives as threatening the status quo.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I can't wait for one of them to rewatch It's a Wonderful Life and have Fox n Friends defend Mr. Potter.

Mr Potter's stringent insistence on creditworthiness and repayment would have had him horrified at how the bankers behaved to created the housing crisis.

Let that sink in - the literal Christmas time villain running the show would have been a MASSIVE improvement over reality

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

greatn posted:

I saw this in Sweden too, they didn't even have pepperoni or sausage just weird corn and BBQ sauce abominations.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yes because that totally wouldn't have happened if BLM had been less aggressive in their campaigning, because as we know the right never, ever wildly overreacts to anything and everything it perceives as threatening the status quo.

When has being aggressive ever worked out for African-American issues in America?

MaxxBot posted:

I saw this in Sweden too, they didn't even have pepperoni or sausage just weird corn and BBQ sauce abominations.

There is a way to do a bbq chicken pizza; I guarantee you, Swedes haven't learned it.

I sometimes wonder whether bringing Chicago pizza to the world would be a successful venture.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

I agree that the media optics are bad, but the only reason for that is because of a sincere misrepresentation of the goals of the overall movement in the same media. It's a recurring cycle and they were going to find a way to make them look bad no matter what. What i'm saying is the only people sincerely reached by all lives matter and not convinced when given the actual facts are probably just not worth trying to reach.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Right are a zero-sum game.

If the blacks/mexicans/gays have more rights that that means I'll have less rights to call them nope nope nope. :freep:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

greatn posted:

False Australian pizza is The Worst. It's like Normal Pizza but just slightly different enough to be disgusting.

Also their selection of cheeses at Subway :argh:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

When has being aggressive ever worked out for African-American issues in America?

There is a way to do a bbq chicken pizza; I guarantee you, Swedes haven't learned it.

I sometimes wonder whether bringing Chicago pizza to the world would be a successful venture.

Give me one time being peaceful and not agitating aka boycotts, sit-ins, and marches worked for them either?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Clock Kid is suing the city and school district of Irving for $15 mil.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Why is pointing out that black people are frequently targeted by police and shot at an alarmingly higher rate a bad thing?

Oh yeah, white people hate thinking about black people mattering, huh.

I mean.... yeah, basically. It was a bad frame for them to pick.

Your average person who has implicit biases but doesn't consciously recognize them is going to immediately balk at the idea that "some lives matter more than others? More than MINE?? I don't like that."

It's another case of concision beating explanation every time. Fox assholes get to say "nope, ALL lives matter :smug:" but the activists have to stop and explain institutional prejudice and how power structures DON'T treat black lives like they matter and etc., etc. and by then you've already lost the messaging war.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is what Lincoln Chafee considers pizza.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

Mr Potter's stringent insistence on creditworthiness and repayment would have had him horrified at how the bankers behaved to created the housing crisis.

Let that sink in - the literal Christmas time villain running the show would have been a MASSIVE improvement over reality

The current line is that the evil government forced the banks to issue loans to people who couldn't pay.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

It wasn't discrimination; if this kid was white and had done what he did, he would've been treated the same way by the school district.

What a greedy child.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're in Duluth?! I pass through Duluth all the gently caress'n time. Where's some good places to eat in Duluth?

What on earth are you doing that has you frequently passing through Duluth?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

This is what Lincoln Chafee considers pizza.

The gently caress is that? It looks like salmon, almost.

Wait, is Vermont one of those states that does rectangle-cut pizza?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I agree that the media optics are bad, but the only reason for that is because of a sincere misrepresentation of the goals of the overall movement in the same media. It's a recurring cycle and they were going to find a way to make them look bad no matter what. What i'm saying is the only people sincerely reached by all lives matter and not convinced when given the actual facts are probably just not worth trying to reach.
Of course their goals would be misrepresented, same with any political movement. That doesn't excuse BLM's terrible sloganeering though, it only makes it seem more foolish.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Kingfish posted:

Your problem is assuming that anything minorities do will affect how insane racists are.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MaxxBot posted:

What on earth are you doing that has you frequently passing through Duluth?

Trying to save the upper midwest from itself.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

stinkles1112 posted:

Your average person who has implicit biases but doesn't consciously recognize them is going to immediately balk at the idea that "some lives matter more than others? More than MINE?? I don't like that."

It's another case of concision beating explanation every time. Fox assholes get to say "nope, ALL lives matter :smug:" but the activists have to stop and explain institutional prejudice and how power structures DON'T treat black lives like they matter and etc., etc. and by then you've already lost the messaging war.

C'mon, in the post-fact partisan world you're just going to divide into your camps anyways. Arguing that they picked bad optics when the loving optics are WE MATTER TOO is uh.. dumb and exactly the spin the right wanted so that they don't have to pretend the issues matter. It's a lost cause no matter what so why not try for the biggest bang.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Radish posted:

I get the feeling that if they re-ran the Superman vs the KKK stuff a lot of people would complain the comic is being too PC.

They did. Only it was Captain America. They complained a lot.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Vermont is to blame for that poo poo?

New York and Chicago should put aside their pizza differences and begin bombing in 5 minutes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Your problem is assuming that anything minorities do will affect how insane racists are.

Winning the presidency certainly affected it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

borkencode posted:

The current line is that the evil government forced the banks to issue loans to people who couldn't pay.

Yes, despite the law in question specifically exempting the banks from having to do so

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

ratbert90 posted:

The hatred for St Louis will bring the nation together again. :allears:

St Louis is a poo poo town in a poo poo state, but it's my poo poo town in a poo poo state, so I want to make it better. I start by not caring what loving high school you went to.

The Hill is awesome though. And Imo's, while mediocre, is still more of a pizza than Chicago style 'pizza'.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

A Winner is Jew posted:

New York and Chicago should put aside their pizza differences and begin bombing in 5 minutes.

I think it's called 'Sicilian-style'

We did put our differences aside and bomb the poo poo outta those responsible; I believe that was called WW2.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

Vermont has no specific pizza style (though the flatbread variety has been quite popular recently). That image is "Pizza Bread" an abomination from Rhode Island almost as bad as Coffee Syrup.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

kelvron posted:

St Louis is a poo poo town in a poo poo state, but it's my poo poo town in a poo poo state, so I want to make it better. I start by not caring what loving high school you went to.

The Hill is awesome though. And Imo's, while mediocre, is still more of a pizza than Chicago style 'pizza'.

You won't make StL better. Imo's ain't mediocre; they don't even use loving cheese on their pizza. Any city which is too poor to put cheese on their pizza is a city too poor to save.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

A Winner is Jew posted:

No. Lincoln Chaffee is from Rhodes Island, and that is pizza bread, the closest thing those downcountry degenerates have.

stinkles1112 posted:

My point was that would have happened regardless of how BLM might have otherwise named itself/framed its narrative. They could have been as meek as you like, and chosen the most tepidly-inoffensive name possible, and FOX et al would have found some way to belittle them effectively.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 23, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

That seems to be the case, but they're not really reacting any differently to Obama than they do to black doctors or black professors or any black man they are (rightly) afraid is better than them.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

stinkles1112 posted:

There's nothing in "black lives matter" that says or even implies an inequality in mattering. There is literally no way to draw attention to the particular problems of black Americans without the usual suspects calling you the "real racists :smug:."

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Yeah, Obama proves that the US was ready to elect a black president, but was sure as gently caress not ready to have a black president.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

C'mon, in the post-fact partisan world you're just going to divide into your camps anyways. Arguing that they picked bad optics when the loving optics are WE MATTER TOO is uh.. dumb and exactly the spin the right wanted so that they don't have to pretend the issues matter. It's a lost cause no matter what so why not try for the biggest bang.

Ah but the hashtag is "blacklivesmatter " not "blacklivesmattertoo" therefore...

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

My Imaginary GF posted:

You won't make StL better. Imo's ain't mediocre; they don't even use loving cheese on their pizza. Any city which is too poor to put cheese on their pizza is a city too poor to save.

At least they put the 'cheese' on top of the sauce, like the rest of the civilized world. I'll take fake cheese over cold, naked marinara any day.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Second relevant lawsuit of the day: The guy who was fired by the Benghazi Committee for displaying insufficient zeal in his persecution of Hillary. He is suing both the committee as a whole and Trey Gowdy personally.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Ah but the hashtag is "blacklivesmatter " not "blacklivesmattertoo" therefore...

the people who care about the difference didn't matter to the movement anyways except as shitheaded opposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Shameful, Bernie. smh.

• Locked thread