Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, Obama proves that the US was ready to elect a black president, but was sure as gently caress not ready to have a black president.

TNC's "Fear of a Black President" is very good in this topic btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie and Trump agree on one thing it seems: Pizza Hut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVmAcULPMu4

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

stinkles1112 posted:

I mean.... yeah, basically. It was a bad frame for them to pick.

Your average person who has implicit biases but doesn't consciously recognize them is going to immediately balk at the idea that "some lives matter more than others? More than MINE?? I don't like that."

It's another case of concision beating explanation every time. Fox assholes get to say "nope, ALL lives matter :smug:" but the activists have to stop and explain institutional prejudice and how power structures DON'T treat black lives like they matter and etc., etc. and by then you've already lost the messaging war.

You've been found out now. Your brain perceives "black lives matter" as "black lives matter more than other ones."

Prove you can be saved.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

kelvron posted:

At least they put the 'cheese' on top of the sauce, like the rest of the civilized world. I'll take fake cheese over cold, naked marinara any day.

What's the best pizza place in StL? Do they put marinara on top?

That's goddamn right they do. For those not in StL, get this: They named the street with a half-decent pizzeria which segregates black StL from white StL "Barack Obama Blvd."

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Bernie and Trump agree on one thing it seems: Pizza Hut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVmAcULPMu4

Don't forget Gorby!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

BLM is a good movement with a bad name

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

stinkles1112 posted:

I mean.... yeah, basically. It was a bad frame for them to pick.

Your average person who has implicit biases but doesn't consciously recognize them is going to immediately balk at the idea that "some lives matter more than others? More than MINE?? I don't like that."

It's another case of concision beating explanation every time. Fox assholes get to say "nope, ALL lives matter :smug:" but the activists have to stop and explain institutional prejudice and how power structures DON'T treat black lives like they matter and etc., etc. and by then you've already lost the messaging war.

Exactly. Black Lives Matter is too high-brow to be an effective slogan for a political movement because it completely relies on assumed knowledge. Black lives matter only makes sense as a slogan if you already recognize that black lives don't matter, if the majority of people are ignorant of this fact, (which they are) then it seems exclusionary.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Provel is amateur hour compared to the horrors that California puts on their pies.

Pizza should be a debate question.

There's a place around here that has a palak paneer pizza that's loving amazing.

Suck it haters.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ron Jeremy posted:

There's a place around here that has a palak paneer pizza that's loving amazing.

Suck it haters.

CA has the best food in the nation. :colbert:

Mexican? Best.

Chinese? Best.

Japanese? Best.

Italian? Ok, we'll give that to NY.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

SedanChair posted:

You've been found out now. Your brain perceives "black lives matter" as "black lives matter more than other ones."

Prove you can be saved.

I meekly submit myself for reeducation

No seriously though I guess what I'm saying is that "black lives matter too" would have actually been a better slogan, but it is a good point that the opposition is going to smear and degrade them no matter what the messaging is.

It just seems like in the brain of the average person who's not an explicit racist but still has lots of prejudices, "black lives matter" actually IS likely to be parsed as "...more than yours" and it just sucks how easy it is to set up cheap but effective rhetorical traps based on a dumb slogan

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Joementum posted:

Shameful, Bernie. smh.

Speaking of which, he's holding a rally in Atlanta tonight. It's in a location where parking will be near impossible to find, so I'm reluctant to go.

Also because I can't imagine it will be very exciting.

Comedy option: go in my MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN hat

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Okay, so the argument is : if only blacks expressed themselves better, racist white people would listen to them?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Raerlynn posted:

Fucker I will fight you.

But seriously, gently caress Imo's.

We lived in the Flora/Flad neighborhood just off Tower Grove Park, and there was an Imo's commissary right near me where they baked pre-made crusts for distribution to all the stores in town. Every Tuesday and Thursday morning the whole neighborhood smelled like burnt English Muffins. gently caress Imo's forever.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Octatonic posted:

Okay, so the argument is : if only blacks expressed themselves better, racist white people would listen to them?

I guess messaging just isn't important for building political movements??

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Octatonic posted:

No actually that's extremely reductive, but thanks

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
People tend to think protest is supposed to be provocative and confrontational but I think the tea party was so successful because while their protests were stupid bullshit, they were usually out of the way and not inconveniencing anyone.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yes, I'm sure that the significant number of people who watched the Eric Garner video and concluded "He was resisting" and "The police did nothing wrong" and "Maybe if he wasn't so fat" would totally be receptive to BLM messaging if only they'd chosen a different slogan.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

This article linked to another NYT about the increasing mortality rates for middle aged lower income white people and in an already brutal article this somehow stuck out.

quote:

The least educated also had the most financial distress, Dr. Meara and Dr. Skinner noted in their commentary. In the period examined by Dr. Deaton and Dr. Case, the inflation-adjusted income for households headed by a high school graduate fell by 19 percent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/health/death-rates-rising-for-middle-aged-white-americans-study-finds.html?_r=0

Goddamn.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stinkles1112 posted:

It just seems like in the brain of the average person who's not an explicit racist but still has lots of prejudices, "black lives matter" actually IS likely to be parsed as "...more than yours" and it just sucks how easy it is to set up cheap but effective rhetorical traps based on a dumb slogan

if racists have a problem with how a minority rights movement label themselves that's the racists' problem, not the group's problem

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

FairGame posted:

Yes, I'm sure that the significant number of people who watched the Eric Garner video and concluded "He was resisting" and "The police did nothing wrong" and "Maybe if he wasn't so fat" would totally be receptive to BLM messaging if only they'd chosen a different slogan.

Those people are hopeless, but there are basically infinite people with no opinion either way.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Edit: no time to correctly formulate opi ion

Kristov fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 23, 2015

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if racists have a problem with how a minority rights movement label themselves that's the racists' problem, not the group's problem

Actually, I think it might be a big problem for the group!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
For Christ's sake, there is more of a gray area in the public discourse and consciousness than "the cops did nothing wrong, hang the darkies" vs "black lives matter" come on people

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Racists aren't angry at the phasing of "Black Lives Matter" they are angry at being confronted with the inherent inequality of America and they don't want to acknowledge that fact. There's no way to phrase "black people are treated differently by the US government and white people are ignorant of this" without the people who are pissed at BLM being pissed since it's the message, not the messaging they really don't want to deal with. People that are beating a man in a crowd aren't going to treat him better if he says "all lives matter but please kindly remember that black people are more likely to be abused by police and treated poorly by the justice system!" They don't believe that inequality exists in the first place and react angrily and possibly violently when it's even brought up.

http://fusion.net/story/184032/black-lives-matter-martin-luther-king-hate-mail/

This Martin Luther King Jr guy needs to be more careful or he's going to alienate white people that would be more down with his cause if he didn't phrase things so poorly.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 23, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think I've seen more people worrying about Thanksgiving dinner with conservatives this year than any year I can remember.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Kingfish posted:

Actually, I think it might be a big problem for the group!

yeah, it is kind of a problem that they are black and they're trying to speak to people who irrationally hate black people

that is uh a bit of a sticky wicket there

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

stinkles1112 posted:

For Christ's sake, there is more of a gray area in the public discourse and consciousness than "the cops did nothing wrong, hang the darkies" vs "black lives matter" come on people

Many posters here have exactly two sources of political discourse; DnD and the DnD Freep thread.

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Speaking of which, he's holding a rally in Atlanta tonight. It's in a location where parking will be near impossible to find, so I'm reluctant to go.

Also because I can't imagine it will be very exciting.

Comedy option: go in my MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN hat

Killer Mike is opening for him. We're I not 1000+ miles away I would be there, you should go for me.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

There are these people out there called "moderates" and they don't really have strong beliefs one way or the other until you figure out how to trick them into caring about your cause.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"we've decided to rename ourselves the 'Movement to Please Treat Black Americans A Little More Kindly'"

"what is thisi poo poo? you don't think white people need to be treated kindly? i guess we can see who the real racists are"

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

stinkles1112 posted:

No actually that's extremely reductive, but thanks

You're welcome! Yes, it is reductive, but it seems like we're falling into a trap where the perfect is the enemy of the good, while at the same time condemning a peaceful movement as too radical? I just don't really understand what's being put forth here.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Aren't Hispanics also treated poorly by police etc?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah, it is kind of a problem that they are black and they're trying to speak to people who irrationally hate black people

that is uh a bit of a sticky wicket there

No. The problem is exactly that they are NOT trying to speak to an absurd caricature of the entire non-sympathetic public that irrationally hates black people, they are trying to speak to people who genuinely believe they are not racists, even though they still hold implicit biases and support a system that holds up implicit biases, and I put to you that the overwhelming majority of the population falls into the second category and COULD actually be convinced

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Kingfish posted:

There's these people out there called "moderates" and they don't really have strong beliefs one way or the other until you figure out how to trick them into caring about your cause.

A "moderate" on issues of racism, discrimination and racially disproportionate police violence is called a "racist."

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I hate these two slogans if for no other reason than it has allowed these dumb rear end "do black lives matter, or do all lives matter, senator?" questions from the media.

Obviously all lives matter, but people seem to need reminding that includes black lives too. And very few call out the "all lives matter" bullshit for what it really stands for, which is that black lives do, in fact, not matter quite as much.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Humans Among Us posted:

Aren't Hispanics also treated poorly by police etc?

Depends on where you are really.

In LA it's probably worse to be black than hispanic.

In OC it's probably worse to be hispanic than black.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Octatonic posted:

You're welcome! Yes, it is reductive, but it seems like we're falling into a trap where the perfect is the enemy of the good, while at the same time condemning a peaceful movement as too radical? I just don't really understand what's being put forth here.

I don't think anybody has said BLM is too radical, we're arguing that they could improve their messaging. But to a degree you're right, we shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, which is why I imagine basically everybody in this thread supports BLM as it is anyway

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
If I said "Gold is valuable," would the most straightforward understanding of that be that I think only gold is valuable and nothing else is? I guess it would be, if my name were Ron Paul, but I don't think that's the first thing most people would assume. Countering "black lives matter" with "all lives matter" requires a deliberate misunderstanding of ordinary language. Once you've moved into that territory there's really nothing you can say that people won't do the same with.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SedanChair posted:

A "moderate" on issues of racism, discrimination and racially disproportionate police violence is called a "racist."

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/060.html

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

If I said "Gold is valuable," would the most straightforward understanding of that be that I think only gold is valuable and nothing else is? I guess it would be, if my name were Ron Paul, but I don't think that's the first thing most people would assume. Countering "black lives matter" with "all lives matter" requires a deliberate misunderstanding of ordinary language. Once you've moved into that territory there's really nothing you can say that people won't do the same with.

Saying "All Lives Matter" in response to "Black Lives Matter" requires a fundamental disconnect from reality that is impossible to overcome with a simple catchy slogan. If a white person thinks that what a black person means by that phrase is that black people should matter and everyone else can go screw they aren't going to be convinced by anything that can be summed up in a simple phrase. It's the same poo poo where people claim feminism is all about the destruction of males. The messaging isn't the problem, it's that people don't like the message and want it to go away. It's a lot easier to claim you simply want equality instead of admitting that the equality you claim to exist doesn't and something needs to change to fix that.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I think I've seen more people worrying about Thanksgiving dinner with conservatives this year than any year I can remember.

My family has other itself of all conservatives

• Locked thread