Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Danknificent posted:

That sounds like a very limiting factor on the long-term outlook of the game. Do you know if there are any plans to address that co-op shortfall?

If I decided I wanted to be a sick elite mega space bodyguard starfighter ace, I don't want to be paid in cargo, I want to be paid fairly. Knamsayin? Not that I would do that, but I would be the sort to need that kind of help.

There aren't any current plans that we know of, but there are two points to bear in mind:
1. Frontier tends to play their cards very close to their chest. Which is to say, we know there's a minor upgrade to an existing ship being released with Horizons, and to this point we know literally nothing about it beyond the fact that "it might have room for an extra gun", which we guessed from pictures.

2. Despite it being an "mmo", Elite was previously all about being single-player. Offline mode was removed very late in the Kickstarter cycle, and the rudimentary party-up mode was only added in 1.2 (we're currently in 1.4).

So there's always potential for more stuff to be added, and fdev is pretty receptive to feedback, so if we agitate hard enough they might add something more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Well, my mindset (which may be setting me up for failure) in any MMO is the pursuit of money -> so that -> it can then finance my activities in support of people/orgs/causes that I like, ideally through methods other than combat.

I don't demand or expect it to have what I'm looking for; it's good enough for me if it's just moving in the right direction, and it sounds like it is. Grinding for the biggest possible commercial freighter and helping people with fuel is definitely cool, and will hold me for a while - but I'd like more someday.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There's going to be some kind of crafting system coming in the not too distant future which will probably be a huge money and/or time sink so that's a thing you can invest in.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Yeah, we still don't know what most of the planet-based activities or missions will be like aside from salvaging/collecting and base assaults and even those we have just a vague impression of. Hireable npc wingmates and crewmembers are definitely on their list somewhere, we just don't have a timescale.

Crafting will be at least weapon sidegrades and customization (they talked about how we will be able to change the color of our lasers), but those are the only things we know of for sure right now. It's entirely possible that through extensive customization you'll be able to squeeze out more permanent jump range or shield capacity, but that's just speculation. I do fear that ship modifications or special weapons won't be replaced by ship insurance, which will make people even more prone to combat logging and the like, but we just don't know till we get there.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Danknificent posted:

It actually sounds fast to me, because my eye is on that first 'legit' cargo ship, which costs 1 mil, and you're saying it doesn't take long to get there.

Of course, I won't be doing any real grinding until the beta is over SUCKA FREE GALAXY

I had 100 million in my first week so its not that hard as im also retarded

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nation posted:

Does your computer chair double as a toilet as well?

How many seasons of various anime shows did you finish on Netflix?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

AndroidHub posted:

Yeah, we still don't know what most of the planet-based activities or missions will be like aside from salvaging/collecting and base assaults and even those we have just a vague impression of. Hireable npc wingmates and crewmembers are definitely on their list somewhere, we just don't have a timescale.

Crafting will be at least weapon sidegrades and customization (they talked about how we will be able to change the color of our lasers), but those are the only things we know of for sure right now. It's entirely possible that through extensive customization you'll be able to squeeze out more permanent jump range or shield capacity, but that's just speculation. I do fear that ship modifications or special weapons won't be replaced by ship insurance, which will make people even more prone to combat logging and the like, but we just don't know till we get there.

As long as it's going somewhere, that works for me. Right here and now, this is about scratching my space itch. If it clicks and it's my new gaming home, that'd be great. If not, that's okay too.

But I like space. I also like netflix. And anything that keeps me away from League of Legends is fundamentally good.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Nation posted:

A fortune in new socks

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Colored lasers will own. Green lasers owns.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Danknificent posted:

As long as it's going somewhere, that works for me. Right here and now, this is about scratching my space itch. If it clicks and it's my new gaming home, that'd be great. If not, that's okay too.

But I like space. I also like netflix. And anything that keeps me away from League of Legends is fundamentally good.

Note that one of the big things about Elite is how the various ships are, theoretically, all good and useful in their own niches. A ship that costs 10 of 100 times more than yours isn't necessarily 10-100 times more effective than yours - each hull has its own niche, strengths and weaknesses. If your goal in the game is to get into the biggest trade ship to make shitlots of money (that'd be the Lakon T9) that's entirely valid. It is, however, equally valid to find a cheap simple ship you enjoy flying and stick with it. Whatever floats your boat!

(My goal? I want to fly every single ship in the game and write lots of :words: about them)

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

That sounds fine to me. I have no idea what I'll end up doing, that's what I'll determine during the beta by doing different things; I'll get more serious when my stats are persistent.

Tell me about the combat skill cap. It's real time legit dogfighting, right? Are there any fighter aces out there? Does pilot skill factor into the game at all?

Also, can you sell ships? And can you name them in-game?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Danknificent posted:

That sounds fine to me. I have no idea what I'll end up doing, that's what I'll determine during the beta by doing different things; I'll get more serious when my stats are persistent.

Tell me about the combat skill cap. It's real time legit dogfighting, right? Are there any fighter aces out there? Does pilot skill factor into the game at all?

Also, can you sell ships? And can you name them in-game?

Dogfighting is in real time, yes. It's simple to learn but has some complexity to it (namely learning how to do fancy tricks with flight assist off, silent running, learning to aim with fixed weapons). Lots of goons are PvE fighter aces, myself included (It's not hard to achieve that), but I don't know about PvP. Pilot skill is a large factor, especially for things like the aforementioned fancy tricks and aiming with things like Plasma Accelerators.

You can sell ships for a large portion of their original value. While you cannot name them in-game currently, you can name them on sites like Inara that the Diamond Frogs use to track things, and the devs have mentioned they'd like to add the ability to name your ships in-game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Drake_263 posted:

Note that one of the big things about Elite is how the various ships are, theoretically, all good and useful in their own niches. A ship that costs 10 of 100 times more than yours isn't necessarily 10-100 times more effective than yours - each hull has its own niche, strengths and weaknesses. If your goal in the game is to get into the biggest trade ship to make shitlots of money (that'd be the Lakon T9) that's entirely valid. It is, however, equally valid to find a cheap simple ship you enjoy flying and stick with it. Whatever floats your boat!

(My goal? I want to fly every single ship in the game and write lots of :words: about them)

This isn't exactly true but what is true is that 500k (which you should be able to make in a couple of hours) will get you a ship which isn't half bad at something and 5M will get you a ship that's pretty decent at at least one thing.

I'd strongly recommend getting a Cobra Mk III as your first main goal since it's one of the most versatile ships, extremely iconic and fun to fly and is excellent for giving you an idea of what role in the game you're going to enjoy most. You can do combat, trading, mining, smuggling, or exploration in it without feeling like the ship is holding you back.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

That's what I'll grind during the beta. Pilot skills. I'm not just completely new to MMOs, I'm also new to sims. I'll level up my IRL space dogfight skills.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Danknificent posted:

That's what I'll grind during the beta. Pilot skills. I'm not just completely new to MMOs, I'm also new to sims. I'll level up my IRL space dogfight skills.

I feel like it needs to be said that there is no skill cap or skills that you can level up in the game.

The only thing you can "level up" is your rank, which only gives you access to higher paying missions and faction specific ships.

If you're going to grind pilot skill that just means you're going to do a lot of specific activity tailored to whatever it is you're looking to master. If it's trading, you're going to be looking at mastering how best to approach a station for smooth entry into the mail slot. Things like when to throttle up or down, when to turn FA back on as you coast up at a 90 degree angle to the mail slot and which ships need what timing. At the same time you'll be learning how to manipulate the galaxy map to show you systems that will be likely trade candidates, building up until you manage to score a 2 jump run that offers 3k+ credits per ton of cargo while you shift around in your umpteen hundred cargo capable Type 9.

IE: If I come up at a hard angle to the slot with FA off in a vulture I can turn FA back on relatively close to the gates and it has enough thruster power to level off my flight path so there's no shimmying around to not hit walls. If I do it in an Asp I know I need to kill it quite a bit sooner so that the flight path levels off and doesn't over shoot the mail slot guides. Same thing with starting/stopping. I can boost into a mail slot in a lot of ships from varying distances without worrying too much about pinging off the back of the station. Though while I'm in the asp I'm always going to hit the back wall. That thing doesn't maneuver for poo poo.

If you're looking for prowess on the virtual battlefield you're going to get your toes wet with Resource Extraction Site pirate hunting (If you ever get "Go kill X amount of Pirates in X system" missions, RES hunting is the way to go). Then you'll move up into the higher tier sites (Normal, HiRes, HazRes) to take on larger and more dangerous ships until you're expertly skimming around an Anaconda in an Iggle, dropping its shields and chipping away at it's power plant.

Exploring? Don't do it until you can fit an Asp for it. If you're a min/max type it's going to be a lot of judging jump ranges as your fuel dwindles down and making sure you've got the right star type lined up somewhere in your jump (KGB FOAM, remember it, it will save you someday). If you just want to go look at poo poo then it's not going to be a huge issue to max fit a hauler or DBE for jump range and go wank off for a few thousand LY. Learning to always kill your throttle as you jump to avoid cruising into a high density star or being wary as you come out smack in the middle of a triple set of stars in close orbit to one another is just part of the game. Heat kills, by the way. Stay away from stars.

There's a lot to "learn" in the game and it'll happen fast.

PvP is the last bit of stuff to worry about unless that's your thing.

If that's your thing then I shall direct you to SpaceTexas, or Tikal here. He's the local PvP guru.

Tikal: We need to make another attempt at CQC for science.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 23, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
TFW you want to go out exploring but know you should wait until you have a buggy.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
My plan is to run smuggling missions to make enough money to fit a DBE or something, then fly to the farthest star I can possibly go at the outer rim and accidentally crash my buggy down a ravine and die.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Another good way to be swimming in money while having fun is to participate regularly in the bounty hunting community goals. I've heard around four million credits per hour cited as a good rate of income killing pirates in resource extraction sites, but I think I make more than that per hour. I haven't actually timed it but I do most of my killing with cannons and plasma accelerators, and I'm pretty sure I can burn through the 105 shots those get before 60 minutes is up. I'm usually at three to four million by then, and you can greatly increase that with some special faction alignment bonuses. By the time a bounty hunting CG is over, I've got 30-50 million banked and that puts me in the top contributor bracket, which means I get a bonus credit payout of around 20 million. I've gotten a good enough income doing this that brings me to my other suggestion- consider not selling your ships unless you really need to. It'll slow down your progression but give you more flexibility and more time to figure things out, you'll learn more about each hull as you don't trade it in within a week of getting it, and you can always liquidate it later if you really need the cash.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

Exploring? Don't do it until you can fit an Asp for it. If you're a min/max type it's going to be a lot of judging jump ranges as your fuel dwindles down and making sure you've got the right star type lined up somewhere in your jump (KGB FOAM, remember it, it will save you someday). If you just want to go look at poo poo then it's not going to be a huge issue to max fit a hauler or DBE for jump range and go wank off for a few thousand LY. Learning to always kill your throttle as you jump to avoid cruising into a high density star or being wary as you come out smack in the middle of a triple set of stars in close orbit to one another is just part of the game. Heat kills, by the way. Stay away from stars.

This is horribly out of date, because Frontier added enough exploration ships you can just walk up the ladder of progressively more expensive explorers, if you want. You're not even losing money by upgrading your ships, as long as you remember to sell your modules before selling your ship.

The Sidewinder alone can't do much, but looking at some stars and planets using your basic scanners gives you enough money after a while you can move up to the Adder. The Adder (Warning: Personal Opinion Approaching) looks better than the Hauler and can fit a medium weapon if you like to go around armed. It's also slightly easier to fit modules like scanners and cargo holds into it.

With the Adder you can basically move around until you have enough money to go to the Diamondback Scout (Or Cobra if by then you've learned exploration isn't your thing.) After that you get the Diamondback Explorer, which can give you a nice jump range even with full weapons and high-grade equipment. And then you finally get to the Asp, the best medium ship. It's called the Asp Explorer, but it can be fit to do basically whatever you want. With 4 light and 2 medium weapons it can even be a good medium combat ship.

After that pure Explorers are kind of poo poo out of luck. The only "upgrade" in terms of jump range is the Anaconda, which costs about 30 times as much as the Asp Explorer.

With the next expansion, Frontier also adds the Asp Scout, which is basically a down-scaled version of the Asp better at combat, but with less jump range. It's basically a ship for people who don't like how the Diamaondback E. looks.

That said, if you seriously want to go into exploration to look at neat stuff and profit from it, always make sure to obey this easy list of priorities (I call it the 3 laws of exploration):

1. Always have a fuel scoop in your ship.
2. First look at the star, then jump.
3. poo poo happens, have an AFM ready if space allows.

The AFM or Automated Field Maintenance-thingy is a repair module to repair damaged modules. Far out there it's the only way to prevent nasty accidents when you napped one time too often while flying. In the future, it will also repair your canopy which makes it a higher priority then the scanner I haven't mentioned yet: The Detailed Surface scanner gives all your scans more details (Duh!) and somewhat around 30-50% more money when you sell the data later.

Exploration itself is easy (with Horizons of course you can land on some worlds, which complicates things but that's for later): Just press the button you assigned to your main scanner (comes in three types: basic (poo poo), intermediate (less poo poo but expensive), advanced (infinite range and even more expensive)) until you hear your scanner howling some sort of weird, gong-like noise. Now everything in range is "found" and you get at least a small amount of money. Then you target suns and planets and poo poo you want to know more about and get closer to them in supercruise until your normal shipboad-scanner starts scanning them. Then you slowly coast to a stop and wait until the scan is finished.

If you found something interesting, you get closer, drop out of supercruise and make some nice screenshots, otherwise you continue on.

After Horizons you can add "land on interesting looking airless hunks of ice" to that, but that's the basics for now. Just remember when travelling around with a basic or intermediate scanner, most of the stuff in a solar system will be beyond range and hidden from you. Until you get the infinite range scanner, you'll have to move above or below the ecliptic, then move fast across the system to see planets and suns moving against the backdrop of the stars. As soon as you have found something, you'll have to travel there until whatever you've found is in range of your scanner.

Playing 15th century astronomer is fun at first, but around the time you have saved up for the advanced scanner it'll have probably gotten stale.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Sard posted:

Another good way to be swimming in money while having fun is to participate regularly in the bounty hunting community goals. I've heard around four million credits per hour cited as a good rate of income killing pirates in resource extraction sites, but I think I make more than that per hour. I haven't actually timed it but I do most of my killing with cannons and plasma accelerators, and I'm pretty sure I can burn through the 105 shots those get before 60 minutes is up. I'm usually at three to four million by then, and you can greatly increase that with some special faction alignment bonuses. By the time a bounty hunting CG is over, I've got 30-50 million banked and that puts me in the top contributor bracket, which means I get a bonus credit payout of around 20 million. I've gotten a good enough income doing this that brings me to my other suggestion- consider not selling your ships unless you really need to. It'll slow down your progression but give you more flexibility and more time to figure things out, you'll learn more about each hull as you don't trade it in within a week of getting it, and you can always liquidate it later if you really need the cash.

What do you do with all them space dollars?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

LCL-Dead posted:

I feel like it needs to be said that there is no skill cap or skills that you can level up in the game.

The only thing you can "level up" is your rank, which only gives you access to higher paying missions and faction specific ships.

I think he's talking about "leveling up" his skill as a player :v:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Danknificent posted:

Pay for all the ammo he used shooting people :v:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

YellerBill posted:

I think he's talking about "leveling up" his skill as a player :v:

I gotta get that young space sim flight street cred. I want to have pro red space baron skills so I don't crash my dank cargo van and lose all my made in space china Diamond Frogs brand coffee mugs bound for mos beasely.

Feel me?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Danknificent posted:

Aggressive investment. I might trade the first one in for a Fer-de-Lance when the expansion comes out and that ship gets a huge buff, but on the other hand by then I'll be able to afford an upgraded FDL if I haven't bought a Python yet. Most folk rush for an Anaconda but real luxury is a gunship harem.

also

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Pay for all the ammo he used shooting people :v:
because sometimes I get stupid and fill the Gunship with rocket launchers. Or fit shieldless Adders with three shotguns and heat sink launchers and then try to sneak into the wakes left by pirate players interdicting trader players, to creep right on top of them and spook them as they're loading stolen cargo. This usually doesn't go well for me but the Adder is cheap.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Danknificent posted:

I gotta get that young space sim flight street cred. I want to have pro red space baron skills so I don't crash my dank cargo van and lose all my made in space china Diamond Frogs brand coffee mugs bound for mos beasely.

Feel me?

I gave up on that long ago. I can't aim for poo poo, so I'm trying to stay in highly maneuverable ships and aid myself with gimballed weapons. And seeker missiles.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

I don't really understand, but that looks like some hella upgraded dank ships. Is it like real estate? Can you fix up a ship then flip it for a profit? Or can you only fix it up to go use it?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Paramemetic posted:

I was random colored lasers that change every shot

Sard
May 11, 2012

Danknificent posted:

I don't really understand, but that looks like some hella upgraded dank ships. Is it like real estate? Can you fix up a ship then flip it for a profit? Or can you only fix it up to go use it?

As rad as it would be to buy junked ships and repair them over time, you just get 100% of your money back for selling parts, and 90% for hulls. I guess the profit here is in having different play styles at your beck and call instead of locking yourself into the most expensive one you can afford, losing 10% on the trade-in if you want a change of pace. Also playing around on that website is probably a good way to get yourself ready for the game, get familiar with costs and fitting requirements. You can experiment endlessly for free in the game because of that 100% refund on parts, but you may lose time chasing everything down because only, like, one station sells everything and I think you have to be a kickstarter founder to use it?

e: gently caress now I want them to add full-on salvaging, not just cargo and crew. Like you find assorted chunks of ships and a full set can be assembled into a 1% hull integrity model.

Sard fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 23, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I want my lasers black, to go better with my dark grey tactical Python

which I already lost after getting dogpiled by deadly and elite NPCs :v:

Welp, I had a rebuy left but still, that was a dumb way to go.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Pink like frog tongues!

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Dabir posted:

Pink like frog tongues!

Well now I really want a tractor beam.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Burst Lasers that change color at every pulse and broadcast rave music.
Basically I want to have the epilepsyRAVE GUN from Battlezone. :D

Edit: although the only way to do it justice would be if it was a rapid-fire PAC

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Well thanks to <<REDACTED>> runs, I'm closing in on a billion credits of assets. :toot:

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
What. I've been playing approximately a year, and I'm around 750 million in assets.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

You could buy a lot of orange soda with that much space dollars.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All that money and yet a simple Railgun Viper is the most fun I've had in this game

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Professor Bling posted:

All that money and yet a simple Railgun Viper is the most fun I've had in this game
Yeah, I'm at about 600m in assets now and have a whole bunch of different ships and my Imperial Eagle is still one of the most fun things to fly around in.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well thanks to <<REDACTED>> runs, I'm closing in on a billion credits of assets. :toot:

Share with my your ways, oh wise one.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

LCL-Dead posted:

Share with my your ways, oh wise one.

<<REDACTED>> runs in a Python :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

<<REDACTED>> buddies :whatup:

My goal is 2bn before 1.5, and after a hard weekend grind I'm 500m away.

• Locked thread