Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm looking for 1 or 2 rolling luggage bags to basically move everything important I own from the US to Europe cause checking a second bag is cheaper than shipping stuff. Do I want hard or soft? 2 or 4 wheels? How big is too big? Are there anything around the $100-$150 price point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit n/m

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I am cheap as hell, I guess I would throw everything in a giant oversize duffle bag from REI and then just rent an airport cart for a dollar. The entire world did just fine without wheeled luggage up until the early 2000s when it suddenly became popular. You're probably going to want a hard shell luggage piece for sensitive stuff like photos, electronics, art, etc. My buddy came back from living in Beijing abroad for two years with some art and other mementos in a semi rigid wheeled thing.

He also shipped home probably 200 lbs of mandarin language books via boat which I think was a mistake as he lived with me for a year and the only time I ever saw the books was when I helped him move the stuff from a storage unit in Houston to one in Dallas.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Go to a thrift store and buy the largest, cheapest thing they have and reinforce it with duct tape. It only has to make one journey.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I've had to make a few trips recently for formal occasions. Never really had to bother travelling for any length of time with a suit before and it was a bit of an rear end, the suit bag it was supplied in is fine for overnight trips but not great if going to more than one place or train trip. Any recommendations on suit bags for actual travel?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm looking for 1 or 2 rolling luggage bags to basically move everything important I own from the US to Europe cause checking a second bag is cheaper than shipping stuff. Do I want hard or soft? 2 or 4 wheels? How big is too big? Are there anything around the $100-$150 price point?

As a veteran of many international moves on the cheap, here is my go-to strategy: Get one big roller at a thrift store, and one US army surplus dufflebag on eBay. Neither should cost more than $20, the duffle will hold a tonne, and can be rested across the roller to move through airports, or carried on your back if necessary (not recommended for long stretches if you've got a lot in there, as they don't have a ton of padding). Bonus that it weighs very little so doesn't count much against the weight limit, is tough as nails, and folds up into basically nothing once you arrive. They're also nice for camping, or bulky shopping runs (if you use a motorbike or bicycle) once you arrive. Use your clothes as packing material.

MrNemo posted:

I've had to make a few trips recently for formal occasions. Never really had to bother travelling for any length of time with a suit before and it was a bit of an rear end, the suit bag it was supplied in is fine for overnight trips but not great if going to more than one place or train trip. Any recommendations on suit bags for actual travel?

I personally hate dealing with a suit bag, I usually wear mine on flights if I need to travel with it. Alternatively you can find some videos on Youtube about how to pack one in a suitcase, it involves kinda turning it halfway inside out and folding the shoulder/sleeve into the other.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Thanks guys. I never considered just using a big duffel bag. Like I seriously didn't know it was a thing.

What about carry on stuff. I have a Patagonia MLC that I use as my soul bag for most of my trips. Every time I get on a plane leaving from the US though I see people with "carry on" bags that are like 3x my MLC. What's the biggest carry on I can get? I always thought it was the MLC cause of the name but obviously it isn't from my experience.

e: What im really looking for is a way to get the most storage as humanly possible that I can bring onto a plane with me so I can avoid shipping stuff.

e2: Also i always see in some regional flights that they tell people to check their bags at the gate. I've never had to do this before but do they just load them onto the plane at the skywalk and then unload them back at the skywalk when you land?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 10, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, they usually 'check at the gate' for free, some people get away with stupidly big carry on. If it will fit in the overheads and it's not a full flight they're sometimes really lax/flexible. Generally the cheaper the airline the more stingy they'll be because that's where all the revenue is.

Don't forget you get carry on PLUS a 'personal item' which can be an oversized hand bag or something dumb like that. Also a coat with lots of pockets can help. Or you can wear this stupid loving thing

If you're worried find a bag that sort of matches the airline's carry on specs and stuff it to the brim.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 11, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Outrail posted:

Yeah, they usually 'check at the gate' for free, some people get away with stupidly big carry on. If it will fit in the overheads and it's not a full flight they're sometimes really lax/flexible. Generally the cheaper the airline the more stingy they'll be because that's where all the revenue is.

Don't forget you get carry on PLUS a 'personal item' which can be an oversized hand bag or something dumb like that. Also a coat with lots of pockets can help. Or you can wear this stupid loving thing

If you're worried find a bag that sort of matches the airline's carry on specs and stuff it to the brim.

There are carryons that max out the FAA's size regs for carry on size, I have one I've been using for 10 years (it's about done at this point), do recommend. It can be a real bear to get in the bin when it's loaded to the gills, but does come in handy for moves, especially considering all the photography gear I have.

+1 on abusing the heck out of the "personal item". What I do is use a strong re-useable shopping bag (the vinyl-y kind, like the ones you can get at IKEA), stows relatively easier than a backpack. They never get weighed while the rolly carryon sometimes does, so all of my heaviest stuff (laptop, iPad, DSLR) gets chucked in there at check-in time, and once that's done I go around the corner and shuffle around what I'll actually want access to on the flight with what's in my carryon.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

e2: Also i always see in some regional flights that they tell people to check their bags at the gate. I've never had to do this before but do they just load them onto the plane at the skywalk and then unload them back at the skywalk when you land?

Generally if you arrive at the gate early and let them know you're traveling internationally on another leg of your trip, flash the onward travel ticket to some far away land, they'll remorsefully say there's nothing they can do to help, but suspiciously every time I've done this, the carry on baggage cut off was the person behind me in line, or they let me board first with my boarding group.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Kinda out of the price range probably but http://www.tortugabackpacks.com/ is apparently quite fantastic for all your carry-on needs.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I want the Patagonia jeans but not in dad color.

Any recommendations for aa classic looking collared shirt for travel? Due to my body proportions, needs to be able to order like a traditional oxford with neck size and arm length. And need to be able to tailor it in the waist area.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

What about carry on stuff. I have a Patagonia MLC that I use as my soul bag for most of my trips.

Seems like you could cut out a whole piece of luggage by keeping the soul in your physical body!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I personally hate dealing with a suit bag, I usually wear mine on flights if I need to travel with it. Alternatively you can find some videos on Youtube about how to pack one in a suitcase, it involves kinda turning it halfway inside out and folding the shoulder/sleeve into the other.

Yeah I'd rather just wear it but in cases where I need to wear suits for 2-3 days I don't really want to be in the same one the whole time. I've looked and seen a couple of options that are a bit more robust and have other compartments that might work as a carry-on with other essentials. I'll look into the suitcase packing tips though, that would probably be ideal.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Blinkman987 posted:

I want the Patagonia jeans but not in dad color.

Any recommendations for aa classic looking collared shirt for travel? Due to my body proportions, needs to be able to order like a traditional oxford with neck size and arm length. And need to be able to tailor it in the waist area.

Is plain denim a dad color now? It's pretty dark.

As far as shirts go I've had good luck with normal non-iron cotton poly blends, if there's a Van Heusen near you they have a lot of fits and they're cheap so you can just buy a new one each trip. Most travel specific stuff goes way overboard in pockets and vents.

I swung by the Utility Supply store in NY. The shirts look really good but the fabric feel on the dress ones is odd. Might just need getting used to. I would have bought one but their sizing didn't fit me right.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

qirex posted:

Is plain denim a dad color now? It's pretty dark.

As far as shirts go I've had good luck with normal non-iron cotton poly blends, if there's a Van Heusen near you they have a lot of fits and they're cheap so you can just buy a new one each trip. Most travel specific stuff goes way overboard in pockets and vents.

I swung by the Utility Supply store in NY. The shirts look really good but the fabric feel on the dress ones is odd. Might just need getting used to. I would have bought one but their sizing didn't fit me right.

I guess they're darker than I thought, but I'd be curious to see what they eventually end up after a few washes.

Thanks for the tip about buying a new shirt every time. Wasteful, but I'll always look fresh and crisp!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Looking at the Herschel Novel bag. My Osprey Porter 46 is good for backpacking when I'm taking a minimalist approach, but it's not great for a 3-day weekend where I may need multiple changes of clothes plus gym clothes. What I really want is a slot for shoes, keeping those dirty soles in a separate compartment and not squishing them down in a main compartment. Every shoe shown in the Herschel pics for the bag are some slip-on Vans or equivalent. Does anybody know how that shoe compartment handles a bulkier pair of low tops like the AM 90s or maybe even two pairs of sneakers? Or mid-height shoes like a pair of retro Jordans?

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 23, 2015

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Travel cubes! And gym shoe bag is what I use.

Hey guys I will be going to London soon. I remembered seeing some UK based travel wear company but my google fu is weak. Can some one please please help? Thanks!

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

caberham posted:

Travel cubes! And gym shoe bag is what I use.

Hey guys I will be going to London soon. I remembered seeing some UK based travel wear company but my google fu is weak. Can some one please please help? Thanks!

Berghaus?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
sorry they are more like Outlier. They make over priced travel clothing which looks like everyday clothes but SPACE FABRIC and WATER PROOF. or whatever

Aug 4, 2010

caberham posted:

sorry they are more like Outlier. They make over priced travel clothing which looks like everyday clothes but SPACE FABRIC and WATER PROOF. or whatever

http://www.rohan.co.uk/ maybe??

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
SOrry I did check but Rohan but it;s not it. There's a boutique store here and there and their prices are crazy expensive :negative:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

Looking at the Herschel Novel bag. My Osprey Porter 46 is good for backpacking when I'm taking a minimalist approach, but it's not great for a 3-day weekend where I may need multiple changes of clothes plus gym clothes. What I really want is a slot for shoes, keeping those dirty soles in a separate compartment and not squishing them down in a main compartment.

What I've been doing is I keep a rain jacket on my backpack (Osprey 33L) at all times, and stuff a shoe in a small plastic bag inside both of the side pockets under the rain jacket (usually for water bottles). I'm 3 months into backpacking like that and have yet to lose a shoe.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Saladman posted:

What I've been doing is I keep a rain jacket on my backpack (Osprey 33L) at all times, and stuff a shoe in a small plastic bag inside both of the side pockets under the rain jacket (usually for water bottles). I'm 3 months into backpacking like that and have yet to lose a shoe.

Thanks. I used to do that with my old 40L daypack funny enough (though I used stabilizing straps to cinch them down instead of the raincoat), but the Osprey Porter doesn't have side pockets. I guess I'll buy a gym shoe bag. Right now I'm kinda just stumbling through the maze of ~$9.99 bags on Amazon.

I know Patagonia gets brought up here as often one of the best options for any travel item need, but almost always the priciest as well. Their "ironclad" guarantee is no joke. I bought a Patagonia down sweater spring 2015 to replace my down-leaking TNF Thunder Micro (though tbh the down sweater is a much warmer jacket so it's not really a direct replacement). This fall, Patagonia updated the cut on the down sweater to be far more narrow in the torso which was almost universally deemed necessary by a general look at online reviews.

I called in and asked if I could swap since it's basically cut perfect for me now, which I felt was a reach but might be the only time I use their guarantee. Rep on the phone asked if I had the receipt, which I didn't. She said that without a receipt she could offer me $180 in credit max which was the lowest known price they sold the jacket for, but heavily implied that if I went to a physical store that they have discretion and would just swap it. I later did find I had the receipt in email, but it didn't matter. Once I got to the store, the rep there didn't care about any receipt. The only time he looked at it was to laugh at the SEO-languaged description of the jacket. Had it swapped in 5 minutes and they even let me choose a new color.

I always bought their items because of their approach to treating everyone like a human being and not just talking about it (who the hell audits their own materials supply chain?). And that's why I won't abuse their guarantee, because they're operating in good faith with me so I operate in good faith with them. But when you do need it (or in my case, want it), it'll be there.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I use a small, 5x8", mesh zipper bag for in-flight essentials like earbuds, chapstick, a USB cable, etc. I'd like to use something a little classier though, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Something smaller than a Dopp kit. Basically the male equivalent of a woman's wallet? Any suggestions?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You just got a free loving swap? Does this apply to pantagonia world wide?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Kobayashi posted:

I use a small, 5x8", mesh zipper bag for in-flight essentials like earbuds, chapstick, a USB cable, etc. I'd like to use something a little classier though, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Something smaller than a Dopp kit. Basically the male equivalent of a woman's wallet? Any suggestions?

You could pick up one of the delta Tumu business elite kits off eBay for the bag. They are pretty nice.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
^ That's a step in the right direction, thanks.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

caberham posted:

You just got a free loving swap? Does this apply to pantagonia world wide?

Yes and yes. I don't know how far it goes-- my jacket was clearly almost new and they recognized it as being from the previous season-. I've read some posts online where the company has voluntarily offered to replace items that were clearly just beat from years of wear. Example: https://www.reddit.com/r/BuyItForLife/comments/qqc4t/bifl_patagonia_the_north_face/I did read one post where a person was trying to feign a zipper problem to get a new jacket and the store manager wouldn't accept the return, but that seems like an outlier. Patagonia also from time-to-time hosts events where you can have your items fixed for free in-person instead of sending it in for fixing to encourage people to buy less and use the items they already own more.

I've also read some egregious abuses of the policy from scummy people, but I guess those are the costs of having a blanket policy that does right by the customer every time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have some thermal underwear I bought from Patagonia when I was probably 14 for an overnight igloo build/camping trip on Mt Rainier in Washington. It then went with me all over the world in my mid 20's and when I settled in Dallas. It's in my suitcase I brought with me when I moved to San Francisco this week at age 32. It still fits, no tears or holes 18 years later. You get what you pay for.

I'd never heard of their return policy, but I'd guess the number of people actually exercising their policy to it's fullest extent is almost 0.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah The North Face used to have an incredible return/replacement policy but it's long gone now. Plus the quality on their stuff doesn't seem like it used to be, I think they spend all their time chasing specific price points now instead of just selling good [but expensive] products.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

qirex posted:

Yeah The North Face used to have an incredible return/replacement policy but it's long gone now. Plus the quality on their stuff doesn't seem like it used to be, I think they spend all their time chasing specific price points now instead of just selling good [but expensive] products.

I'm always looking at the thermoball hoodie to use in wet and cold conditions and I'm always shocked at the price point-- $220 base, as much as 50% off when on sale at third-party retailers. I have yet to pull the trigger in spite of initial positive reviews because I assume it'll be (relative) junk in the long term just like the vast majority of their stuff.

FWIW, TNF was fine when I had that down jacket fail on me within 3 months of ownership, but it required multiple phone calls/emails to keep the return process moving. If you're a company owned by a soulless multi-national clothing company that probably thinks of Bangladesh as one giant temp worker firm, at least get the upside of having defined processes and infrastructure in place to process my jacket.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Their stuff used to be even more expensive, I think my first gore-tex I got from them in high school was like $190 in the outlet, probably $350 new. Most of their stuff was roughly the same price it is now but in 1990s dollars. If you're looking at the Thermo-ball you might as well get check out the original Nanopuff at Patagonia, they cost roughly the same unless there's a specific color you like at North Face. I like my nanopuff a lot.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

qirex posted:

Their stuff used to be even more expensive, I think my first gore-tex I got from them in high school was like $190 in the outlet, probably $350 new. Most of their stuff was roughly the same price it is now but in 1990s dollars. If you're looking at the Thermo-ball you might as well get check out the original Nanopuff at Patagonia, they cost roughly the same unless there's a specific color you like at North Face. I like my nanopuff a lot.

Sorry, misunderstanding-- I'm shocked as to how cheap the jacket is. I've seen the hoodless thermoball jacket go for as low as $110 on sale. I'm mostly locked into that jacket as I have a ton of store credit from my jacket return (they could not repair nor give me a suitable replacement) and I need a jacket for those types of conditions for-- ironically enough-- a trip to Torres del Paine in Patagonia next December.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Blinkman987 posted:

Sorry, misunderstanding-- I'm shocked as to how cheap the jacket is. I've seen the hoodless thermoball jacket go for as low as $110 on sale. I'm mostly locked into that jacket as I have a ton of store credit from my jacket return (they could not repair nor give me a suitable replacement) and I need a jacket for those types of conditions for-- ironically enough-- a trip to Torres del Paine in Patagonia next December.
I tried on the jacket at REI the other day when I was waffling over whether to get it or the Atom LT.

I was unimpressed with the Thermoball.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I have some thermal underwear I bought from Patagonia when I was probably 14 for an overnight igloo build/camping trip on Mt Rainier in Washington. It then went with me all over the world in my mid 20's and when I settled in Dallas. It's in my suitcase I brought with me when I moved to San Francisco this week at age 32. It still fits, no tears or holes 18 years later. You get what you pay for.

I'd never heard of their return policy, but I'd guess the number of people actually exercising their policy to it's fullest extent is almost 0.

It won't last.

The return policy and quality will both be shithoused in the next few years as everyone who thinks The North Face is a poseur brand migrates to Patagonia and runs up demand while scumbags buy in to abuse the generous return policy. Patagonia will be acquired by Nike or VF and will sell only lovely clothes manufactured entirely by slave labor before the end of 2020.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I've got a new job that will require four or five days business trips fairly often, so as a Christmas gift I was given this backpack and the packing cubes shown, actually made by a friend of a friend's company. I carry documents and a laptop with me, and it seems like it would get clothes for the trip, a suit and a pair of dress shoes everywhere no problem. I do have the ability to return it, if anyone has a better idea?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Built in safety whistle. loving lol. Does it come with optional EPIRB?

Doesn't look too bad, make sure the fabrics/stitching and zips are good quality if you plan on keeping/travelling more than a few months in its lifespan.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Honestly you have to try out the backpack straps for yourself to see if it suits you or not. The thing with travel gear is that you have to use it for a while to get a feel for things.

And make sure there's a compartment for your toiletries. Price wise doesn't seem to be too expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kafka Esq. posted:

I've got a new job that will require four or five days business trips fairly often, so as a Christmas gift I was given this backpack and the packing cubes shown, actually made by a friend of a friend's company. I carry documents and a laptop with me, and it seems like it would get clothes for the trip, a suit and a pair of dress shoes everywhere no problem. I do have the ability to return it, if anyone has a better idea?

Looks OK, especially since it was a gift so the price was right.

• Locked thread