Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Can we get bodybuilder Jay Cutler to play All Might in the live action movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Say Nothing posted:

Can we get bodybuilder Jay Cutler to play All Might in the live action movie?

Who should play Depowered Might?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Steve Buscemi.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

JosephWongKS posted:

Who should play Depowered Might?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
FA scans of the new chapter are out, for those interested:

http://bato.to/reader#12a6c0491e2ccfff

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This chapter is like the one time the liberties the FA translator takes with the dialog somehow come off great- or at least with the conversation between Shigaraki and the newcomers.

I'm sure the Viz translation will be insanely dry and boring as usual.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Such a Good Chapter. The characterization has been top-notch lately.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Holy poo poo, Parappa grew up.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I nice cup of tea sounds great actually. :munch:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm the family whose quirk consists of having toast-shaped heads in the background.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Iida's concern is valid but I hope he keeps up with the logical ruses.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 23, 2015

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Kaminari makes some excellent faces

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mineta is dedicated.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Rodyle posted:

Mineta is dedicated.
He's the hero we need AND the hero we deserve.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Something interesting I saw on the translation thread from /a/ was speculation on how Shigaraki's disintegration works. The theory is that just like Uraraka, it requires contact from all 5 fingers. He's commonly seen holding things either between his pointer finger and thumb or with at least one finger not touching the object. Especially with Deku he usually keeps his middle finger up.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Brought To You By posted:

Something interesting I saw on the translation thread from /a/ was speculation on how Shigaraki's disintegration works. The theory is that just like Uraraka, it requires contact from all 5 fingers. He's commonly seen holding things either between his pointer finger and thumb or with at least one finger not touching the object. Especially with Deku he usually keeps his middle finger up.
Yeah this seems to be the case. Sucks to be him if he can't just turn his disintegration power off and on at will. Couldn't you just wear something over one finger or something then?

Also as much of a murderous rear end in a top hat Shigaraki is and how much he apparently hates Midoriya I don't get why he doesn't just mortally wound him right here and then bounce.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 23, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mineta with the literal :byodood: in this chapter

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Fabricated posted:

Yeah this seems to be the case. Sucks to be him if he can't just turn his disintegration power off and on at will. Couldn't you just wear something over one finger or something then?

Also as much of a murderous rear end in a top hat Shigaraki is and how much he apparently hates Midoriya I don't get why he doesn't just mortally wound him right here and then bounce.

Well, duh, he's gotta monologue. Sheesh, do you know nothing of supervillain etiquette?

More seriously, I'd wager that he's trying to scope out Deku's abilities in some fashion, or otherwise what the kid's angle is.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fabricated posted:

How else is he going to get his villainous monologue? Also he seems like the kind of guy who has a script in his head of how events should play out (Kind of like bakagou). He could have just walked up behind Deku and destroyed his neck but instead he wants to gloat over the kid who threw a wrench in his plans.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really like that last panel.

Also invisigirl's clothes just floating in panels with her enthusiastic dialogue consistently makes me laugh.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I don't know what's up with all this negativity here. Handyman here clearly just wants to discuss the trial and tribulations of growing up in this crazy world with his new friend over a spot of delicious earl gray.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

"T-SHIRT" [Tシャーツ」t-shirt, great shirt. Great faces. Great chapter.

Can't wait to see the Boot Camp, hopefully the remedial lessons give the B-team kids some time to shine.

Radish posted:

I really like that last panel.

Also invisigirl's clothes just floating in panels with her enthusiastic dialogue consistently makes me laugh.
Hella seconded. Horikoshi's willpower in not revealing her face or figure (more than through clothes) somehow is inspiring.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Man that chapter was so good but I can't wait for next week.

This series is consistently great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I want invisigirl to get splashed with paint or something and so you can just barely make out facial features.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I just figured Hans didn't try anything because he's by himself and he'd get his rear end kicked if he didn't have back-up, even if he did get away with offing Deku. Also, he's still most likely pissed about earlier in the day, so maybe he's trying to cool off.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

It would have to be specifically his fingertips in that case; on page 19 he puts his fist in Deku's chest and it doesn't result in Deku disintegrating.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Bystander posted:

I just figured Hans didn't try anything because he's by himself and he'd get his rear end kicked if he didn't have back-up, even if he did get away with offing Deku. Also, he's still most likely pissed about earlier in the day, so maybe he's trying to cool off.

Yeah; storming off wasn't the most mature thing of him, but Black Mist had a point that it was him keeping himself sabotaging things even worse so it was a relatively good move on his part. As for not killing Deku, disintegrating a kid's neck in the middle of a public area, where everyone has super-powers (and where there are a lot of heroes since, even setting aside the rest of the class being there, the stuff sold there is meant to cater to people with quirks, so it'd be a nice stop for heroes I imagine), would get him noticed and dogpiled immediately. Besides being a creepy, monologuing, hotheaded sadist, Shigaraki's not an idiot; if he's not blowing his top he's actually pretty clever, as him seeing through Aizawa's quirk and discerning its weaknesses showed. I'm not quite sure what his game here is, but at the least he's probably not going to to anything to get himself killed or captured.

Also, his interactions with the new villains at the beginning were great. Before he completely loses it you can actually kind of sympathize with him; the new recruits are... Special.

That's pretty interesting. Thanks for pointing that out. "Annihilating anything you grab" would be something of a mixed bag of a power, to say the least, if you can't turn it off and thus have to be very careful about how you do things.

Also, he probably can't wear gloves, come to think of it. Not that he'd want to, given that they'd probably impede his power if the fingertips weren't immediately annihilated. At the least, he'd ruin them every time he used his power even if he had control over it beyond how he touches things.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 23, 2015

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Obviously Shigaraki was just out doing some shopping to cool down and happened to run into his nemesis. What self respecting super villain can resist the opportunity to rant at his greatest enemy in a public place?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also, if he kills Deku now, Deku won't be able to reform him later so that they can team up against the final boss. :unsmith:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Another good chapter, what a surprise. Villains tend to be solitary sorts so seeing them interact with one another's always fun. I like Shigaraki more now than I did back when he first appeared, which is a pretty good sign. Typically my opinion of any given villain remains static after their introduction (except in cases where character development is obviously in the cards).

As for his little get together with Deku, there are so many potential reasons for him to spare the kid I'm not even gonna bother speculating until he says something himself.

Fabricated posted:

I'm sure the Viz translation will be insanely dry and boring as usual.
Do you have an example? I don't read the WSJ translation VIZ puts out, just the printed volumes which I imagine they have a little more time to feel out and care for.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shigaraki didn't kill Deku because coming up to him non-threateningly and then revealing who he is in order to force a conversation is a creepy and intense thing to do.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Begemot posted:

Obviously Shigaraki was just out doing some shopping to cool down and happened to run into his nemesis. What self respecting super villain can resist the opportunity to rant at his greatest enemy in a public place?

The main thing separating a criminal and a Villain is an innate sense of drama and style.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

A sense (or lack) of theatricality is actually a perfectly valid reason to do (or not do) something in this kind of comic, IMO.

I always think it's dumb when people are talking about comics with superpowers and someone's like "Why doesn't anybody pull out a gun and just shoot the other guy?"

Because that would be boring.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I ask for absolute reason and rationality to everything that occurs in stories and real life.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Seafood posted:

Another good chapter, what a surprise. Villains tend to be solitary sorts so seeing them interact with one another's always fun. I like Shigaraki more now than I did back when he first appeared, which is a pretty good sign. Typically my opinion of any given villain remains static after their introduction (except in cases where character development is obviously in the cards).

As for his little get together with Deku, there are so many potential reasons for him to spare the kid I'm not even gonna bother speculating until he says something himself.

Yeah, he's such a brat but he's also developing as a character and learning from his mistakes. Also, I still find him hilarious. "I have no idea what you just said," was great, and the broker's response that "she can hold a conversation, more or less" was perfect too.

Edit: Tangent, something I noticed while rereading the chapter, Himiko's got a decent range of expression despite her permanent smile. You can tell she's fawning when she's ranting about Stain, she seems irritated at Dabi later, and when Shigaraki's attacking she seems afraid. It's neat that the author's getting that out of subtle details.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 23, 2015

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

"T-SHIRT" [Tシャーツ」t-shirt, great shirt. Great faces. Great chapter.

Can't wait to see the Boot Camp, hopefully the remedial lessons give the B-team kids some time to shine.
The fact that most people in this thread are more excited about what these kids do in mundane settings like a mall or cabin while the main antagonist just grabbed our hero is unironically great.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad we're about to get more from Shigaraki because I want to like the guy, since him being the counterpart to Deku as One for All's succesor is pretty interesting but so far he's just kinda been a whiny loser who keeps getting owned. I hope he can build back some menace in the next few chapters

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Professor Wayne posted:

The fact that most people in this thread are more excited about what these kids do in mundane settings like a mall or cabin while the main antagonist just grabbed our hero is unironically great.
Truth. This manga's cast is so good I have to stifle my hype for continuing plot because I want to see the class just clown around.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm glad we're about to get more from Shigaraki because I want to like the guy, since him being the counterpart to Deku as One for All's succesor is pretty interesting but so far he's just kinda been a whiny loser who keeps getting owned. I hope he can build back some menace in the next few chapters

He's definitely a whiny punk whose schemes have been thwarted, but I don't think he's lacking for menace. Even aside from his creepy design, his power alone is terrifying. I think this meeting will definitely help his character though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Prison Warden posted:

The main thing separating a criminal and a Villain is an innate sense of drama and style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQJJjcrwXQE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

He's definitely a whiny punk whose schemes have been thwarted, but I don't think he's lacking for menace. Even aside from his creepy design, his power alone is terrifying. I think this meeting will definitely help his character though.

His power is interesting because it's simultaneously both really powerful and, despite what you would expect, extremely limited by the standards of what we've seen in this series. Destroying whatever he grabs is cool, but, it requires him to get in and grab something, and it takes a little time to work seeing as he didn't immediately take Aizawa's arm off at USJ when he grabbed him, though it did break his elbow and do some damage. Compare this to, say, Todoroki, who not only has massive amounts of power but also has an absurd amount of range, the ability to hit multiple people at once, and extreme area control with how much he can cover at once, as well as being able to use it to defend and maneuver as well. A lot of people have quirks that are, for practical purposes, are just as strong as his and far more usable, since they aren't limited by having to get within grabbing distance of a super-powered person with the athletic ability of a fit but otherwise unspectacular human being.

The primary threat his quirk presents is that, as far as we know, it doesn't seem to have much that it can't destroy; he annihilated the massive metal gate at Yueii without any trouble, as the big example. If he were fighting something like, say, the first Noumu, or All-Might, their defenses wouldn't really matter because, if he got his hand on a vital area like their head or something, that's it, their brain is going to be mush. The trouble is him getting his grip on them without them either evading him or just hitting him first.

Which is one more reason why Black Mist is a very, very effective partner to him; besides balancing out his temperament, their abilities have a very dangerous synergy.

Tangent, wow, Shigaraki's face is massively hosed up; besides the strange lips (which we've seen before when Shigaraki was watching the tournament) and his eyes being... I don't know how to describe it, he's also got a few scars. Right eyelid, left side of his lip. What the heck messed him up so badly?

On a non-Shigaraki topic, I second this post:

Kyte posted:

Iida's concern is valid but I hope he keeps up with the logical ruses.

Aizawa just continuously loving with the class until they have no idea what to expect ever would be amazing. He's another of my favorite characters in this, and I am really looking forward to what he has planned for the class at the lodge. That should be very entertaining.

Also, I just noticed that Kaminari's not just jabbing Deku when he's bemoaning his fate, he's poking the poor kid in the eye. Jeez, calm down man.

Also Sero failed the practical too, despite being taken out trying to save Mineta. Poor guy.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 23, 2015