Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well this is a sure fire way to win hearts and minds :allears:

Again, I think it's fairly clearly established that a LOT of people arguing in this thread are not interested in winning hearts and minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

And as we all know, as a black woman that's my sole goal in life.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

stinkles1112 posted:

Again, I think it's fairly clearly established that a LOT of people arguing in this thread are not interested in winning hearts and minds.

Chicago being the best pizza in America wins over hearts and minds.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

My Imaginary GF posted:

Chicago being the best pizza in America wins over hearts and minds.

Chicago is a city not a pizza, you dummy

Edit: although you might be on to something... Chicago should try being one big pizza instead of a city and then maybe it wouldn't be so awful

sit on my Facebook fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 23, 2015

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Look how ignorant you are about literally everything.

Take a break from cramming mayo sandwiches down your throat long enough to read that MLK quote up there, poo poo-for-brains.

:allears: Mayo Sandwiches. Is that a thing that White Folk are supposed to enjoy? Sounds dreadfully unpleasant for being so unhealthy.

It may come as a surprise, but quoting "The Letter from Birmingham Jail" isn't some sort of magic bullet for discussion about messaging. The way you're using it, is to shut down discussion entirely. I want BLM to succeed in their endeavors. Come brothersister (my apologies for assuming), let us all think of ways to improve such messaging in the future to manipulate the morons who sway elections....

Or shout at clouds of course. That's always an option.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Chicago deli pizza is the actual best pizza, but it doesn't seem to exist in the rest of the country.

Talmonis posted:

:allears: Mayo Sandwiches. Is that a thing that White Folk are supposed to enjoy? Sounds dreadfully unpleasant for being so unhealthy.

It may come as a surprise, but quoting "The Letter from Birmingham Jail" isn't some sort of magic bullet for discussion about messaging. The way you're using it, is to shut down discussion entirely. I want BLM to succeed in their endeavors. Come brothersister (my apologies for assuming), let us all think of ways to improve such messaging in the future to manipulate the morons who sway elections....

Or shout at clouds of course. That's always an option.

"Don't be the same tiresome white rear end in a top hat obstructing black activism with his fatuous nitpicking since time immemorial" is very much a discussion that needs to happen. If you're not capable of listening to that discussion without pissing your dockers about it that's no one's fault but yours.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 23, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Anybody making a big deal over needing to be "won over" isn't worth bothering with. Treating them like lepers should suffice.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

He wasn't a millenial.

Yes, it's this generation of young people that are uniquely bad. Much worse than all those that came before them....said everyone since socrates.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ron Jeremy posted:

Yes, it's this generation of young people that are uniquely bad. Much worse than all those that came before them....said everyone since socrates.

Can a generation ever be worse than the one which comes before it? Just because some greek bitches about kids doesn't make millenials not uniquely horrid.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

Can a generation ever be worse than the one which comes before it? Just because some greek bitches about kids doesn't make millenials not uniquely horrid.

Yes, and they were called boomers. :colbert:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

And as we all know, as a black woman that's my sole goal in life.

If we lived in a perfect world, racial/social justice would be self-evident and this whole argument would be moot but we don't so tone and messaging matters.

It sucks and is unfair but it's also the way it is :shrug:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

My Imaginary GF posted:

-A Bitter GenXer

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

So you literally don't feel any frission of self-loathing when you openly state that you refuse to help oppressed people unless they suck your cock about it first?

:ssh: I don't need to be won over. I'm already "Over". But the stupid people in the middle who decide elections? They do. They always do. It doesn't matter the issue or topic. They need to be pandered to, patted on the head and convinced they're right. It has always been that way.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Starting so strong against Millennials this early says more about the speaker than the subject. Someone's got a lot of blame they've gotta load onto someone else. I'll still give GenX another 15-20 years before I unilaterally condemn them.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

So you literally don't feel any frission of self-loathing when you openly state that you refuse to help oppressed people unless they suck your cock about it first?

it's frisson just fyi

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Knight posted:

Starting so strong against Millennials this early says more about the speaker than the subject. Someone's got a lot of blame they've gotta load onto someone else. I'll still give GenX another 15-20 years before I unilaterally condemn them.

Face it, millenials are the coddled generation who can't handle the real world.

Whatever happened to locking your kids outside and telling them to be back at 6 for supper or else they get no food?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Greatbacon posted:

-A Bitter GenXer

Why would a GenXer be bitter, we're the group that gets neither blame nor criticism?

That said while the generation terms are bizarre and usually meaningless I do think there's a real divide between people who grew up with a meaningful Internet and those who didn't. My office has some student workers and new hires that simply don't have a frame of reference for pre-internet in a way that I don't think could be replicated before, largely because of the speed of adoption. Maybe the rate of car adoption may be similar?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

My Imaginary GF posted:

Face it, millenials are the coddled generation who can't handle the real world.
Why did you coddle them?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Being forced to suck a dick is a pretty good lesson in humility everyone should learn. Vote for me.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I suspect the crux of the messaging issue is that our right-leaning country has convinced itself that being inclined towards racist ideas about black people is a moderate position.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Being forced to suck a dick is a pretty good lesson in humility everyone should learn. Vote for me.

I better get to choose the dick. If not, no deal.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

If we lived in a perfect world, racial/social justice would be self-evident and this whole argument would be moot but we don't so tone and messaging matters.

It sucks and is unfair but it's also the way it is :shrug:

I read your posts a lot. I know you're intelligent (isn't that such a sweet ~*~tone~*~?) So I know you're smart enough to be capable of self-awareness. You're smart enough to know there's a history of power-havers sighing and saying "Gee I'd love for you oppressed people to meet your goals, but you're just too confrontational about it." You're smart enough to realize, if you'd just shift yourself to do a few minutes of thinking, how incredibly unbecoming it is for you to be one of those people. How directly it opposes your stated politics, your self-image of yourself as a good person who wants good things for the world. Every time you nitpick a message you claim to support you're lying to yourself.

TheQat posted:

it's frisson just fyi

:argh: stop oppressing me (thanks, I've never gotten a handle on that one)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

I want Bork Lazer to run for high office now.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

GlitchThief posted:

I suspect the crux of the messaging issue is that our right-leaning country has convinced itself that being inclined towards racist ideas about black people is a moderate position.

Most folks don't think they're racist or that the problematic ideas they hold are racist. That's why they need to be shown otherwise, and that it has a real effect on real people. It can be done. It has been done.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Knight posted:

Why did you coddle them?

I didn't; unfortunately, America's PC culture did.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Talmonis posted:

Yeah, everyone knows white folk don't use mayo. We exclusively eat Miracle Whip sandwiches.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

I read your posts a lot. I know you're intelligent (isn't that such a sweet ~*~tone~*~?) So I know you're smart enough to be capable of self-awareness. You're smart enough to know there's a history of power-havers sighing and saying "Gee I'd love for you oppressed people to meet your goals, but you're just too confrontational about it." You're smart enough to realize, if you'd just shift yourself to do a few minutes of thinking, how incredibly unbecoming it is for you to be one of those people. How directly it opposes your stated politics, your self-image of yourself as a good person who wants good things for the world. Every time you nitpick a message you claim to support you're lying to yourself.

'kay

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Simply Sara, Macaroni Salad is pretty bad, that said, I've only ever seen my white friend eat pierogies, very ownage.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zachack posted:

Why would a GenXer be bitter, we're the group that gets neither blame nor criticism?

I dunno, ask MIGF. I was just making an educated guess into what generation cohort they fell into. Not a lot of boomers on the forums and Millenials tend to target their aggression at GenX and Boomers, not themselves. :shrug:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hahaha, clock boy is suing the city, this is going to dominate the gently caress outta the headlines:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2586645/clock-kid-ahmed-mohamed-threatens-to-sue-city-wants-an-apology-and-15-million-says-attorney/

quote:

Ahmed Mohamed, the 14-year-old Muslim teenager who earlier this year was suspended from school and taken into police custody for bringing a homemade clock to school, is asking the City of Irving for $15 million in compensation, as well as demanding an apology, The Dallas Morning News is reporting. If they fail to pay up, they can expect a lawsuit.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Noone here is saying anything you are claiming they are saying.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hahaha, clock boy is suing the city, this is going to dominate the gently caress outta the headlines:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2586645/clock-kid-ahmed-mohamed-threatens-to-sue-city-wants-an-apology-and-15-million-says-attorney/

good on him.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Are these suits outcomes determined by juries, or liberal activist judges?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Holy poo poo, yes. Get yours, Ahmed!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Did the school district do anything to that boy that they wouldn't have done to another? I think not.

Besides, hasn't that kid moved over to the mideast to attend a school in Qatar? Sounds like he never was conerned with American educational policies to begin with.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Tone might be important when trying to convince someone to think a way thats different from the way they used to think hth.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Humans Among Us posted:

I guess they need to work on their messaging.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Humans Among Us posted:

Please tell Peter to stay out of it.

The Kingfish posted:

Tone might be important when trying to convince someone to think a way thats different from the way they used to think hth.

This has been debunked time and time again. I'm astonished you don't know that, since you're such an expert on the history of civil rights.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Nonsense posted:

Are these suits outcomes determined by juries, or liberal activist judges?

Either, depending on how the parties involved want to handle it.

Or neither, since it'll almost definitely be settled out of court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you get the city to pay out $15 million, doesn't that affect the city's budget and their ability to invest in important programs?

• Locked thread