Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Barry Shitpeas posted:

In Coldsnap maybe, Ice Age only had snow-covered lands

And hardly anything cared about snow-covered lands but there were a bunch of hate cards for them. Like the best you got was Balduvian Conjuror or Gangrenous Zombies, but there were a bunch of creatures with Snow landwalk of various types or cards that only worked if your opponent had snow lands or whatever.

It's weird to look back at old designs and see how much we take for granted about design now that wasn't understood at all back then. Things like appropriate power level for creatures and spells, how to do power/toughness counters properly, and having mechanics that aren't just dumb flavorful downsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hello, affinity. Also, ha, Spectral Chaos did artifact lands first.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The only thing Ice Age actually did with Snow was cards that cared whether you controlled snow lands or how many of them you had. Snow mana wasn't a thing. Snow creatures weren't a thing. (lol that Goblin Snowman isn't a Snow Creature) "Snow" wasn't even a supertype originally. Hell, "Legend" wasn't even a supertype back then. I don't think there even were supertypes then.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Punishes snow lands:IIIIIIIIII
Rewards snow lands: IIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Both at once??????: I
Changes snow lands: II

I may have counted wrong but you get the idea. And sometimes the reward is as marginal as "you get more mana for cumulative upkeep."

The four best rewarding-snow cards are 3 different "prevent all damage" effects that recur for sacrificing a snow land, and Pestilence that costs 1 less.

Imagine if 40% of Theros's enchantments matter cards were punishing the opponent for having enchantments and the pick of the litter were Fog, Fog, and Fog.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Entropic posted:

The only thing Ice Age actually did with Snow was cards that cared whether you controlled snow lands or how many of them you had. Snow mana wasn't a thing. Snow creatures weren't a thing. (lol that Goblin Snowman isn't a Snow Creature) "Snow" wasn't even a supertype originally. Hell, "Legend" wasn't even a supertype back then. I don't think there even were supertypes then.

Right, snow mana wasn't a thing yet, but card keyed off of snow lands being slightly different from basics, which is what OFS was saying.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Imagine if 40% of Theros's enchantments matter cards were punishing the opponent for having enchantments and the pick of the litter were Fog, Fog, and Fog.

that's not what theros was like?

cuz i mean thats how i remember theros :haw:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 23, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Basically a ton of early magic design was individually designed cards with no concept of set synergy and the cards themselves were mostly top-down flavour designs with more often than not a downside ability thrown in because flavour. There's a whole bunch of early cards, and even sets (looking at you Homelands) that seem like they were made by people with a basic understanding of the mechanics of magic who were going "if you made X as a magic card, what would its abilities be?" without any regard for it actually being a fun card to play or not.

It's like this "Let's make politicians / tv shows / whatever into Magic Cards!" threads that pop up now and then but it was "let's make fantasy tropes into magic cards!"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The problem with Spectral Chaos is everything is so drat complicated. I'm a rules advisor and I'm sure Limited with that set would confuse me badly.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Ramos posted:

How would you even put that these days?

T: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool and put a depletion counter on ~. If ~ has a depletion counter on it, instead sacrifice it and add UUUU to your mana pool?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

How would you even put that these days?

T: Add one mana of any colour to your mana pool and put a depletion counter on ~. If ~ has a depletion counter on it, instead sacrifice it and add UUUU to your mana pool?

Going by Gemstone Caverns, yeah, you got it more or less right.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Swords to Plowshares was originally costed at WW.

Perhaps they should've kept it that way.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chamale posted:

The problem with Spectral Chaos is everything is so drat complicated. I'm a rules advisor and I'm sure Limited with that set would confuse me badly.

Welcome to every single magic set before Mirage or so.

Also Limited wasn't even a thing back then. This was originally designed before Ice Age even came out IIRC, booster draft hadn't been invented and Sealed was barely even a thing and they certainly weren't designing with it in mind.

Again, stuff we take for granted in design now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This has Swords to Plowshares and Southern Paladin and other card concepts printed in Alpha.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Probably a typo, Swords was in the original playtest at W

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Probably a typo, Swords was in the original playtest at W

I know they started designing expansions before Alpha actually went to print.

And the original playtest cards had weird cost templating, like Serra Angel was "5WW" which meant "5 mana, two of which has to be white".

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Frozen_flame posted:

The only Magic slashfic I found was one of Urabrask and Melira.

It was painful.

The funny thing is you're being literal here.

GeneX posted:

Urabrask is a dude. The person you're quoting is somehow innocent enough to not know the meaning of slash fiction.

frozen_flame is definitely not innocent.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

I know they started designing expansions before Alpha actually went to print.

And the original playtest cards had weird cost templating, like Serra Angel was "5WW" which meant "5 mana, two of which has to be white".

there is no way that is the more recent templating

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The game would be worse for StP costing WW

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Barry Shitpeas posted:

instead of saying "i plow your mom" i'm going to start saying "your mom takes up farming" and winking suggestively

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

black potus posted:

instead of saying "i plow your mom" i'm going to start saying "your mom takes up farming" and winking suggestively

I'm going to say "You can return your mom to your deck after your game" whilst waggling my eyebrows.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
don't worry, you get your mom's power in life

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Alpha was just way better than current magic, judging by this card

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
if I know that my opponent's RL mother has died I'm going to be extra smug as I remind them that they cannot raise their mom from the dead

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

This card is like power 9 busted.

Entropic posted:

Basically a ton of early magic design was individually designed cards with no concept of set synergy and the cards themselves were mostly top-down flavour designs with more often than not a downside ability thrown in because flavour. There's a whole bunch of early cards, and even sets (looking at you Homelands) that seem like they were made by people with a basic understanding of the mechanics of magic who were going "if you made X as a magic card, what would its abilities be?" without any regard for it actually being a fun card to play or not.

It's like this "Let's make politicians / tv shows / whatever into Magic Cards!" threads that pop up now and then but it was "let's make fantasy tropes into magic cards!"

So basically like Legendary Cube. (It's really, really bad. It's the Timmiest of Timmy Cubes in an actively boring way).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

This card is like power 9 busted.

There's also a mox that taps for colourless mana. Basically another copy of Mox Emerald for most Vintage decks.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So, who is templating and proxying these up for cubes?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

odiv posted:

So, who is templating and proxying these up for cubes?

Someone of them seem impossible to template without making the text box look like Demonic Consultation. Not sure how you'd even template a card that makes basic lands produce enemy colors AND nonbasics produce produce colorless. It's a blatantly unprintable card to begin with (it's Blood Moon and a Blood Moon variant for basics at the same loving time).

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Can we get a StP but with "target creature takes up farming?"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fiend Computer posted:

Can we get a StP but with "target creature takes up farming?"

I will be perfectly fine with "takes up farming" becoming rules text for exile, controller gains life.

Just put the rest in reminder text and it'll be fine.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

Someone of them seem impossible to template without making the text box look like Demonic Consultation. Not sure how you'd even template a card that makes basic lands produce enemy colors AND nonbasics produce produce colorless. It's a blatantly unprintable card to begin with (it's Blood Moon and a Blood Moon variant for basics at the same loving time).

Whenever a player taps a nonbasic land for mana, it produces colorless mana instead of any other type..

If tapped for mana, Plains produce {R/B}, Islands produce {R/G}, Swamps produce {W/G}, Mountains produce {W/U}, and Forests produce {U/B} instead of any other types.

vvv That's a better templating.

Niton fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 23, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It'd have to go by Reality Twist's oracle text.

quote:

If tapped for mana, Plains produce {R}, Swamps produce {G}, Mountains produce {W}, and Forests produce {B} instead of any other type.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Wow this is so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even better with Twincast

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I need new sleeves. I've been using kmc perfect fit and hyper matte. Should I try any other brands?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

I need new sleeves. I've been using kmc perfect fit and hyper matte. Should I try any other brands?

stay the course, kmc can do no wrong.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zoness posted:

This is wrong. Dragonshield Matte sleeves are by far the best sleeves you can buy quality wise. Though if you are going to the KMC Route, the correct sleeves are the Hareruya ones.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

First time I double sleeved Merfolk I had 2 sleeves break the first time I had to shuffle them on my first Wednesday of using them.

And then a third the next Wednesday.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Molybdenum posted:

Zoness posted:

This is correct. Hypermattes are great.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

This is wrong. Dragonshield Matte sleeves are by far the best sleeves you can buy quality wise. Though if you are going to the KMC Route, the correct sleeves are the Hareruya ones.

Shockingly, McMagic was right

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

First time I double sleeved Merfolk I had 2 sleeves break the first time I had to shuffle them on my first Wednesday of using them.

And then a third the next Wednesday.

you gotta use a gentle touch :feelsgood:

I've used both kmc's and dragon shields and I feel like kmc's are overall lighter which is great for riffle shuffling which I love to do because I'm some kind of idiot who doesn't care about card value or whatever.

Dragon Shields just feel too heavy/thick or something I dunno man.

oh yeah I'm not talking about kmc hyper mattes I forgot they existed. I bought like 400 hareryua style sleeves when they were on sale a while back :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Shockingly, McMagic was right

Of course i'm right. The Hypermattes are very nice as well but they split at the top too often...

• Locked thread