Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

peanut posted:

Lmao windowless doorless classrooms

I will build my kids a concrete box
With four ways in and no way out
But mine the glory, mine the power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Then they wonder, "Why don't kids like going to school? Don't they want to learn?"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Kids still have to sit in the windowless, doorless rooms.
How do they get in and out of the rooms? :v:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Collateral Damage posted:

How do they get in and out of the rooms? :v:

When they can climb out of the roof

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Gorilla Salad posted:

Then they wonder, "Why don't kids like going to school? Don't they want to learn?"

It was like an authoritarian skinner box designed to strip resistance to authority.

They also had a 'senior project' that was a single research paper with a presentation and they stretched it out over two loving years. I could do that poo poo in less than an hour today but then, they were like, "This week you're going to put together 50 index cards with facts on them according to a poorly described organizational system."

"But teacher," the student said, "We're in the 200s. Why can't we use computers?"

"Don't ask unnecessary question," she replied; a gentle threat.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jusupov posted:

When they can climb out of the roof

Oubliette of Learning.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The bricks didn't come off, so not a real failure.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Zopotantor posted:

The bricks didn't come off, so not a real failure.

reminded me of this

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
:wtc: is that for real

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

blowfish posted:

:wtc: is that for real

Nah, it's ~art~

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2440080/Margate-sliding-house-created-artist-Alex-Chinneck.html

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Speaking of windowly-challeneged schools... Mine's one. It was built in the mid 1970s. For the first 22 years of my career I was in the main building, first in room 109, then down the hall a bit in 107. 109 had an outside wall, but no exterior window. The only window in the entire classroom was a 10 inch by 10 inch window in the door, set high enough that the bottom of the window was right at my nose level. I'm exactly average height for a man, so I wonder how much good it did for shorter people. Room 107 was a completely interior room, so the lack of exterior windows is to be expected. Again, it had the same 10 X 10 window.

My current classroom is in the other permanent building, the 300 wing. My classroom has an exterior window! It is exactly 18 inches wide and 48 inches tall. It has two bars that run vertically, just outside the glass, giving it the look of a prison. However, I can open my door to the exterior and see trees, grass and wildlife (well, sparrows and crows picking at the breakfast and lunch leavings). So much better than seeing the inside of a hallway.

But yeah, minimal windows.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
My basic school(I think this is primary in the US) had been expanded various times and subsequently ended up being a near-random mass off classrooms and hallways. Highlights: to reach groups 1 and 3 you'd have to walk through either group 2 or the toilets. This construct also reduced the school yard on that side to a narrow strip along the edge of the school grounds. Group 4 is on the opposite side of the building and ended up with all it's windows facing the school yard getting blocked by another expansion, which also cut off another exit from the yard, resulting in another winding path between buildings in order to get where where you wanted to be when you walked out of the building. The group 4 expansion also ended up connecting the main building to a storage shed, resulting in a U shaped school yard(with aforementioned group 1&3 bottleneck at the bottom). Finally, group 4's expansion needed a new exit. This was routed through the storage shed.

Even as a child I found it to be needlessly complicated and thinking back about it, it's the most :psyduck: floorplan I've ever experienced.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Asehujiko posted:

My basic school(I think this is primary in the US) had been expanded various times and subsequently ended up being a near-random mass off classrooms and hallways. Highlights: to reach groups 1 and 3 you'd have to walk through either group 2 or the toilets. This construct also reduced the school yard on that side to a narrow strip along the edge of the school grounds. Group 4 is on the opposite side of the building and ended up with all it's windows facing the school yard getting blocked by another expansion, which also cut off another exit from the yard, resulting in another winding path between buildings in order to get where where you wanted to be when you walked out of the building. The group 4 expansion also ended up connecting the main building to a storage shed, resulting in a U shaped school yard(with aforementioned group 1&3 bottleneck at the bottom). Finally, group 4's expansion needed a new exit. This was routed through the storage shed.

Even as a child I found it to be needlessly complicated and thinking back about it, it's the most :psyduck: floorplan I've ever experienced.

Wait a loving minute, what would you do if you had a class at group 3 but you were not of the appropriate gender for the bathroom and there was already a class going on in group 2?
:psyduck:

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Thought I'd just drop this link here: http://www.sosbrutalism.org

quote:

#SOSBrutalism is a growing database that currently contains over 700 Brutalist buildings. But, more importantly, it is a platform for a large campaign to save our beloved concrete monsters. The buildings in the database marked red are in particular jeopardy. This is an unprecedented initiative: #SOSBrutalism is open to everyone who wants to join the campaign to save Brutalist buildings!

It's got a nice gallery with all sorts of concrete crazyness.

Edit: Especially nice: The Timeline of Brutalism

Default Settings fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 23, 2015

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Kakairo posted:

The moving walkway has come to an end. They have removed it (or will soon).
Never fear, the B->C terminal moving walkway is still operating as of last week.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Default Settings posted:

It's got a nice gallery with all sorts of concrete crazyness.

Edit: Especially nice: The Timeline of Brutalism

which episode of star trek is that from?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

gender illusionist posted:

which episode of star trek is that from?
It's from the fifth movie, "What does God need with an apartment block".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

I never imagined the Klingon homeworld having winter.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

JFK's terminal 5 has an awesome view of this terminal. Once a year (every 5 years? something ridiculous, anyway) they open it to the public. Someday I hope to see the inside.

Regarding 1950s-60s architecture chat: atomic ranch homes are awesome. Nothing makes me sadder than when some idiot takes one of these beauties and "updates" it with modern kitchen cabinets, bathroom tile, whatever--it just looks WRONG. It is my dream to own one of these and restore it to its former metal-cabinet, pink-tiled-bathroom glory.

These are loving rad, now i know what they're called.

MrMenshevik posted:

Here's a real gift for the thread, a collection of pictures from the former East Bloc. Including my personal favorite:

The Office of Street Construction in Tbilisi, which may have already been posted, but man is that some sweet, sweet crazy.

I can't decide if reclaimed shipping containers are a poor man's alternative to brutalism, architectural failure or dope as gently caress

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Architectural fail: nearly anything that uses weathering steel.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

red19fire posted:

I can't decide if reclaimed shipping containers are a poor man's alternative to brutalism, architectural failure or dope as gently caress

Yeah because building living spaces out of 8' by 8' by 20' (or 490') boxes is great... Especially since those are outside dimension, the inside is a bit smaller, and thats before you put in insulation.

Also they're cheaply made as gently caress. They're a step above cardboard boxes but a very very tiny step.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

The only thing brutal here is the navigation :colbert:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah because building living spaces out of 8' by 8' by 20' (or 490') boxes is great... Especially since those are outside dimension, the inside is a bit smaller, and thats before you put in insulation.

Also they're cheaply made as gently caress. They're a step above cardboard boxes but a very very tiny step.

True. Also, bringing shipping containers up to code and making a liveable area out of them usually ends up being more expensive than traditional methods. The only time this works is if you actually get them at scrap value.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe shipping containers are good building material if you want protection against tornadoes or hand grenades. :shrug:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A shipping container in a tornado would probably not fare as well as a trailer.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Default Settings posted:

I would go to this church, it's not everyday you can create a structure that somehow manages to :rock: with its steeples.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

tribbledirigible posted:

I would go to this church, it's not everyday you can create a structure that somehow manages to :rock: with its steeples.

Wearing headphones, blasting the darkest satanic metal. That's more appropriate for that architecture.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

red19fire posted:

This pdf is part of a catalog of houses from the 50s which had plans available from your friendly local Celotex (building-supplies company) dealer. I think the complete catalogue is on archive.org somewhere, this is an excerpt from a site about architecture in Raleigh. Raleigh's own G. Milton Small has a couple plans in there, including one with a weird horizontal refrigerator in the kitchen.

edit: i hotlinked to his office building which is awesome and imgur isn't behaving so it's gone. look up the G. Milton Small building sometime.

pants in my pants fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 24, 2015

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

BrigadierSensible posted:

Z shaped rooms?

here's what a row of them look like

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian

Call of Duty 3: Black Ops

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

Maybe shipping containers are good building material if you want protection against tornadoes or hand grenades. :shrug:

Ehhh they're not so great at shrugging off explosives as you would think. Fragmentation is a motherfucker.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Why do brutalist architects hate windows and sunlight so much?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Gets in the way of MORE CONCRETE.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The padded cells where they usually live don't have any windows so they don't know what that's supposed to look like.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

two forty posted:

This pdf is part of a catalog of houses from the 50s which had plans available from your friendly local Celotex (building-supplies company) dealer. I think the complete catalogue is on archive.org somewhere, this is an excerpt from a site about architecture in Raleigh. Raleigh's own G. Milton Small has a couple plans in there, including one with a weird horizontal refrigerator in the kitchen.

edit: i hotlinked to his office building which is awesome and imgur isn't behaving so it's gone. look up the G. Milton Small building sometime.

My parents' house is near a neighborhood with a TON of #32 houses.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

That's a nice Czech hedgehog they have got there, perhaps the architect was trying to pay homage to ww2 German fortifications.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
architects: Architecture should serve man.

brutalist architects: Man has sinned and must be punished.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

coldpudding posted:

That's a nice Czech hedgehog they have got there, perhaps the architect was trying to pay homage to ww2 German fortifications.

This is from the University of Texas at Dallas (they call it the "Love Jack") and I am not sure if it is still there as they have redone a lot of the campus. Prior to being part of the UT systems, it was a private 2 year graduate school started by Texas Instruments. TI had its start in the beginning of WW2 to help the war effort (it was previously Geophysical Services). So sorta related?

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

tribbledirigible posted:

I've been there actually, it's Santuario nuestra seņora de Coromoto in Venezuela, near Guanare. You can't really tell from that picture but it's gigantic. it's always reminded me of some kind of rocket launching facility.

• Locked thread