Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

He saw you disarming the lasers and decided to help :downs:.
Well in my case it was mostly mines and running in to attack the raider with the fat man while I was trying to line up the perfect sniper shot. and ALWAYS BEING IN THE GODDAMN WAY DOG YOU'RE ALWAYS UNDERFOOT.

quote:

The game is in desperate need of a "pet the kitties" mod. So many cats wandering around and you can't interact with them. It's not fair.

No It needs this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Maxon sucks poo poo and is an rear end but his outfit is cool. Danse is cool, he doesn't seem to be all EXTERMINATE THE LESSERS so far.

He doesn't like it when I inject myself with psychobuff though which is a dayum shame

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Why the hell so called 'elders' thought a 15 year old was an appropriate choice to lead the Brotherhood I'll never know. You'd think he'd at least be a puppet in some way but nope.

Also he was a bad motherfucker who soloed a deathclaw as a child.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Prestige due to his lineage, easy to manipulate because he's a kid.

And he killed him a bear deathclaw when he was only three

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Judge Tesla posted:

He's descended from Roger Maxson, original founder of The Brotherhood.

So he's descended from a line of morons getting killed because they're wearing power armor without helmets, big whoop. :colbert:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Props to Danse for being the rare BoS member to take time and patiently explain what the gently caress they're trying to do.

Also for being the rare BoS member to acknowledge that I'm pretty badass myself and that he couldn't have done it without me.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sjonnar posted:

Since children are invulnerable, this isn't really impressive, it's just a matter of persistence.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

davecrazy posted:

Fallout 1 had a way more dystopian pre-war society then the Bethesda games did. Hell, the into opening cinematic of Fallout 1 is Galaxy News newsreel footage of American soldiers executing a bound prisoner then waving to the cameras, inter-spliced with Mr. Handy and Corvega advertisements. Bethesda sort of took the everybody is happy retro-future and made that the way it was. While in Fallout 1 (and maybe 2, I don't remember) that kind of society probably only existed for the very rich and powerful (Mr. House types) or as an ideal to be exploited by Mr. Handy advertising.

Have you...ever read a terminal in Fallout 3 or 4?

Sjonnar posted:

I really wonder how much of this is true and how much of it is propaganda meant to prop up the Brotherhood's Boy-King.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

Since children are invulnerable, this isn't really impressive, it's just a matter of persistence.

I concede the point.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Azhais posted:

And he killed him a bear deathclaw when he was only three

Born in the wastes of DC
The most ruined state in the land of the free
There were only six so he knew every tree
Killed him a deathclaw when he was only three

Maxson, Elder Maxson, king of the iron assholes

Fought single-handed through the Synthetic War
'Til MIT was whipped and peace was restored
While he was handling this risky chore
He made himself a legend forever more

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Deified Data posted:

I really wonder how much of this is true and how much of it is propaganda meant to prop up the Brotherhood's Boy-King.

There's definitely a cult of personality built around him, infact the first thing you see him doing is giving a grand speech to the newer recruits.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kitfox88 posted:

Maxon sucks poo poo and is an rear end but his outfit is cool.

Hell yeah it is. It's one of the pieces of clothing you can load up with ballistic mesh, too; combined with its base ballistic/physical defense of 50 you can actually get really good defense out of it.

On that note, it's pretty weird and arbitrary which clothing you can armor up at the bench and which you can't. I assume it's got something to do with armor - like the reason I can't armor my Road Leathers is that you can wear regular armor breastplates over them - but that's inconsistent, the sequin gowns for example allow you to wear normal armor on your arms and can be armored up.

Baku fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 23, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Deified Data posted:

When looting police departments, take a drink whenever the terminals file "owns a pro-unionization pamphlet" as "planning insurrection".

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
freedom trail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTznNayUC8c

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

davecrazy posted:

Fallout 1 had a way more dystopian pre-war society then the Bethesda games did. Hell, the into opening cinematic of Fallout 1 is Galaxy News newsreel footage of American soldiers executing a bound prisoner then waving to the cameras, inter-spliced with Mr. Handy and Corvega advertisements. Bethesda sort of took the everybody is happy retro-future and made that the way it was. While in Fallout 1 (and maybe 2, I don't remember) that kind of society probably only existed for the very rich and powerful (Mr. House types) or as an ideal to be exploited by Mr. Handy advertising.

Like someone said, read the terminals. That govt. contractor you get that transmitter from? They accidentally incinerated a reporter when they test fired the engine and covered it up. Random police terminal? Guy booked for sedition for possessing union pamphlets. According to the drug dealer's computer, half of your neighbors in Sanctuary Hills have chem habits.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So I completed the game on the railroad route. That ending was kind of a wet fart. Game's action was alright, though - it got pretty tough at the end, though I'm pretty sure part of that was my insistence on not using power armor.

Gamma gun was a lot better than I thought it was at first - that thing actually has a pretty massive AoE.

I think I've completed most of the major quests and seen most of the locations people talk about. Is there anything to these "Lost Soul" quests, or are they just more radiant stuff? I'm probably just gonna shelf this game until the GOTY version comes out.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Hell yeah it is. It's one of the pieces of clothing you can load up with ballistic mesh, too; combined with its base ballistic/physical defense of 50 you can actually get really good defense out of it.

On that note, it's pretty weird and arbitrary which clothing you can armor up at the bench and which you can't. I assume it's got something to do with armor - like the reason I can't armor my Road Leathers is that you can wear regular armor breastplates over them - but that's inconsistent, the sequin gowns for example allow you to wear normal armor on your arms and can be armored up.

That can't be it, because you can ballistic mesh Military Fatigues and you can wear all the armor you want over those. I think it's just a really inconsistent and poorly-implemented system tbh.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

We've got a modding thread already going and the modding community for Fallout 4 is moving at light speed.

E. unless you are on console then it can't be helped. The sole reason to get Bethesda games is the mods, they aren't strong enough to stick around as long as they do without mods.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Is there a part in normal past about level 20 where this is even meaningful? I'm 43, my best bit of armour is some random 17 defense metal left arm, I've got all of 4 endurance (or whatever is minimum for armourer) and I just walk up to things out of stealth or cover and shoot them with my shotgun because it just isn't worth the hassle to be strategic about it. I never use VATS, the only chems I've consumed to date are radaway and stimpacks (and the occasional buffout when I'm too encumbered to fast travel).

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Is there an easy way to dump 500 pre-war money on the ground without having them end up as a single pack of cash?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I sincerely hope the patch fixes the Gauss rifle and several other weapons just straight-up missing at near point-blank range despite visibly hitting enemy bodies. As it stands the explosive shotgun always hits and cripples everything, and the only reason I have for using the rifle is taking out power armored dudes with VATS.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trick Question posted:

So I completed the game on the railroad route. That ending was kind of a wet fart. Game's action was alright, though - it got pretty tough at the end, though I'm pretty sure part of that was my insistence on not using power armor.

I feel the same way. The ending just highlights how awful the find-your-son prerolled story is. Ironically, shooting through the Institute was actually sort of fun. I didn't expect one of the enemies that you face there... I'm surprised Bethesda took the time to make them.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Azhais posted:

Is there a part in normal past about level 20 where this is even meaningful? I'm 43, my best bit of armour is some random 17 defense metal left arm, I've got all of 4 endurance (or whatever is minimum for armourer) and I just walk up to things out of stealth or cover and shoot them with my shotgun because it just isn't worth the hassle to be strategic about it. I never use VATS, the only chems I've consumed to date are radaway and stimpacks (and the occasional buffout when I'm too encumbered to fast travel).

At the very least, even at level 50+, if you have 1 endurance, garbage armor, no power armor, and are on survival, enemies can chew through you pretty quickly - killed while loading quickly. I had to reload an earlier save and take some psycho/med-x/psycho jet in order to survive an area transition at one point.

Most enemies are still no big deal, though, which is sort of disappointing.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

ravenkult posted:

Is there an easy way to dump 500 pre-war money on the ground without having them end up as a single pack of cash?

Trying to build a Scrooge McDuck money tower?

I don't think there is, sorry.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

khy posted:

ALWAYS BEING IN THE GODDAMN WAY DOG YOU'RE ALWAYS UNDERFOOT.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
some people complain about the mirelurk queen, then there's codsworth

Having a good time at the glowing sea:

Also, clear blue skies

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 23, 2015

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Party Plane Jones posted:

Why the hell so called 'elders' thought a 15 year old was an appropriate choice to lead the Brotherhood I'll never know. You'd think he'd at least be a puppet in some way but nope.

The Brotherhood needed a leader with ego and ambition. They needed someone with a black and white worldview who would never stop to question their mission. Who better to lead than a teenager?

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
There's a chance this has been mentioned before, but due to the rate at which the thread moves I missed it, but:

I think it'd be interesting (and annoying, which is sort of the point) if some of the kidnapping side-missions turned out to be bullshit extortion plots to get caps from the player. I managed to play the water rackets harder than I even meant to and have had enough caps to just throw them at kidnappings for nearly-free exp (sure, not as much as if I also killed the raiders that did the kidnapping, but Garvey throws missions at you almost as fast as the topics on this thread changes, so gently caress it), and ever since I first started using this method I have been thinking about what a(nother) missed opportunity that is.

I also think it'd be hilarious if someone modded the PC to be 50% smaller and branded it as a mod that doubles the map's scale. Can this be done? Seems like a worthy use of time/effort.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Shotguns feel really weak in this game. I have to basically shove the gun down my enemy's throat otherwise it does gently caress-all damage.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Starhawk64 posted:

Shotguns feel really weak in this game. I have to basically shove the gun down my enemy's throat otherwise it does gently caress-all damage.

Standard shotguns seem pretty mediocre, true, but get a legendary with explosive, Wounding or Kneecapper, and we're talking.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Starhawk64 posted:

I have an explosive-damage combat shotgun. It does something like 240 damage with skills + explosive. It will murder nearly anything with very little effort, including me if I try and use it in enclosed spaces.

WutangSavesXmas
Jul 31, 2012

T..Thank you, Wolverine.
-Evo 2013
One thing I missed from NV (and 3? can't remember) is being able to do melee power attacks in vats. The super sledge's Mauler attack made your character spin, and launch the enemy and turn them into ragdolls temporarily. It owned and I want it back

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

What's the difference between Fallout4Prefs and Fallout4.ini? The .ini editor doesn't indicate.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Geez, the game really lost steam near the end. I thought when I reached the Institute that I was probably like halfway through the game and had a couple of twists left, especially with how shady everything seemed. I guess I was supposed to pad my runtime with more side missions, but I kept on the main path and before I know it, Father's in bed and I get a cutscene and that's it? Oh, okay. Kind of a dark ending, I guess. War never changes. Guess I'll restart and play as Ronda Rousey, all these melee builds look way more fun than what I was doing.

Man, I'm kind of a mixed bag about the game now. I remember in the first 20 hours or so, the game was stunning visually and the choices the devs made impressed me a ton. I remember thinking several times, "Well, THIS is probably what they have to do because of the limitations of the engine/video games as a medium, but then THAT happened instead, which really impressed me. Something simple like a companion interacting with something I didn't expect them to, or characters knowing about my actions elsewhere, really impressive stuff. I guess I just wish the main storyline had more effort. I feel there's so much more they could have done with a lot of characters. Maybe this type of game isn't really for me. I had a huge blast but I wish there was more story, building and maintaining settlements and collecting stuff doesn't really appeal to me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't really get why trade routes can't just include everything in a settlement's workbench, I keep mods at them and it's a pain figuring out what was where when I noticed they don't carry over. Setting through five or six different loads to get the caps from my stores sucks too, though I'm making decent bank now off it. It also means stuff like fruit and water doesn't either (except purified water maybe?) so cooking (both kinds :v:) is a bit of a nuisance too.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 23, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man, I want to be the Silver Shroud full time but the armour prevents you from running let along sprinting and it's lovely. I wish I could mod the fucker up with various weaves and fight crime all the time and do ever quest with "speak as silver shroud"

I'm not bugged right, his outfit makes you walk slow all the time right?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So, word of advice, don't go to Spectacle Island. AKA Mirelurk island. I fought 3 legendary mirelurks, 1 legendary killclaw, 2 mirelurk kings and a mirelurk queen. AT THE SAME TIME. I burned through all my ammo, and had to punch the last legendary mirelurk to death. I used up all my homing beacons (which were underwhelming), arty strikes, and relay grenades. It was loving awesome. My power armor is all red or broken totally.

BUT THE BEST PART after I kill everything...I find the mirelurk repelling radio station. whomp whomp.

I did find this cool scene under water on the way there. http://imgur.com/a/PlNeY I love how the radio works under water. But this is totally invisible from the surface, so it's just in case you like walking around underwater.

BTW You can die underwater in power armor if you spend enough time there.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Man, I want to be the Silver Shroud full time but the armour prevents you from running let along sprinting and it's lovely. I wish I could mod the fucker up with various weaves and fight crime all the time and do ever quest with "speak as silver shroud"

I'm not bugged right, his outfit makes you walk slow all the time right?

You might be bugged or broken, because I can sprint full tilt while wearing it.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

So does power armour lower your VATS points or something? I used to be able to get off about 4-5 sniper shots with a full amount of action points, but in my x-01 power armour a single sniper shot takes all my AP. Is something wrong or is power armour just really bad?

Based on the wording of some of the armor mods, I'm pretty sure AP cost is influenced by the weight of armor. I pretty much had to abandon PA in my luck based VATS run, as I'd get easily 3-4 times as many shots outside of it(granted, most of that is probably ap reducing legendary armor).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Protons posted:

You might be bugged or broken, because I can sprint full tilt while wearing it.

drat, I'm stuck walking in super slow mode. I thought it was like part of the character that he always walked calmly. If I change out of it into my normal armour I move fine.
The silver Shoud outfit really drives home how badly the game needs some sort of system to wear things over your armour. I mean my armour is apparently just a series of skimpy plates here and there anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Broken Cog posted:

On the other hand, the American Government preparing for the apocalypse so thoroughly kinda lends credence to the theory that they were the ones to initiate it.

The US in the real world built some pretty crazy vaults. Raven Rock is a real place that exists. And The Greenbrier hotel had a bunch of crazy secret vault stuff under it in real life and a bunch of really crazy crap like a giant furnace and everyone was like "why does this tiny hotel need a giant furnace like that" and the answer was it was so they could dump dead senators in it when they died if they couldn't leave the basement.

• Locked thread