Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody remember LucasArts The Dig ? I never actually bought it although it sounds like a pretty cool adventure game. But as a kid I always wanted to buy it because that box just kept catching my eye in stores:

They made the cover out of this iridescent reflective material that made it really shimmer like some kinda alien or space age technology. Pretty great marketing gimmick.

Do your inner child a favour

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6040/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Phanatic posted:

Plus, if you hydroplane it doesn't matter how loving big your truck is. Well, actually it does, because bigger means more inertia means you'll take longer to regain control once your wheels meet pavement again.

I avoid puddles because around here that often means that the puddle is concealing a suspension wrecking pothole.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Len posted:

I love the people in the giant 4 wheel drive diesel trucks who swerve to avoid puddles on the road. Dude you're driving a giant gently caress off truck that's meant for rugged work and you won't get it wet? What the gently caress?

This but people in giant jacked-up trucks who come to a complete stop for speed bumps.

If your car is a sport racer with a lowered suspension then I can kinda understand it but if you're in a huge jacked up truck its okay, you can roll over the speed bump at 5mph without breaking anything.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Yeah. The Dig is super underrated. I can typically run through it in a few hours after multiple playthroughs.

I listen to the soundtrack on the reg. Both the game's OST and the orchestral version. Sooooo good

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Zaphod42 posted:

And while it does make sense, I think "obviously playing into the kooky old farmer man finds weird space stuff" is a stretch. How often does that really get used? MiB? I guess superman? Never seen Creepshow but those 2 examples are the only ones I can think of.

It used to be a common trope. Folks out in boondocks supposedly reported a lot of UFO sightings (This is funny because they're ignorant and often drunk you see.) But I think maybe it was more of an 80s thing, maybe even earlier.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It used to be a common trope. Folks out in boondocks supposedly reported a lot of UFO sightings (This is funny because they're ignorant and often drunk you see.) But I think maybe it was more of an 80s thing, maybe even earlier.

Hm, I mean I have heard of Roswell and "visitors" and abductions and all that but I don't really factor that into "farmer finds a spaceship in his back yard" so much. I dunno. Maybe that's a thing, yeah.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea. I loving hate truck ads, and by extension, people who buy trucks. You're a loving ad exec who lives in the suburbs and works downtown, why the gently caress do you need a truck that is wider than a single lane and can easily drive over other other cars???? Is it because your penis doesn't work anymore?

The worst one to appeal to manly maness I saw was one where the guy was a tough, cowboy type, installing fence posts in an endless plain. Yep, I'm sure that's actually a task that makes those trucks in demand, and you're not playing on the insecurities of suburban professional dads.

In Australia, I was that guy installing fence posts in an endless plain. We used something very much like this http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2012/SSE-AD-3445314/?Cr=10 except about 10 years older.

We call those big American trucks "Yank Tanks" here, because they're big and obnoxious. That said, some people do have them - usually cockeys who use them for carting feed around, or big amounts of heavy equipment, or quite often to pull a horse trailer or some such. But for general use they are more of a pain in the arse than they are worth. You'll get people bitching because they come into town and can't find a parking spot wide enough, and when they do the nose (or tail) is sticking out into traffic because the bastards are so goddamn long.

Also, gently caress trying to run a fenceline in the scrub with one. You'd spend 3/4ths of your day with a chainsaw trying to clear a path for your truck before you even began. Then there is the fuel costs...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're too young to remember this game, don't worry Kemco's rereleasing it for the Game Boy Advance.

iirc the real troll by the game developers here is that the GBA rerelease didn't use the ubiquitous cover art at all and just went with a boring silver ship shooting at a space monster.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

You're a saint. My dad was amped about this game back in the day (I didn't know who Robert Patrick was or why he was excited to see him voice a game character), and I'm convinced he's completely forgotten about it. This'll be something nice to break out after Thanksgiving dinner rather than just bitching about useless politicians for hours.

edit: To this day, I don't know how people can say the turtle puzzle was more infuriating than the glowy-orb-robot thing you had to program commands for so it'd pick something up. Literally the only puzzle I've ever called a goddam tipline for in my entire life.

edit2: Oh!!! I completely forgot the game even came with a card that gave you like five free minutes on the tipline, like those fuckers knew.

Grey Fox has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Nov 24, 2015

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

princecoo posted:

We call those big American trucks "Yank Tanks" here, because they're big and obnoxious.

Among my circles its "useless pieces of poo poo", because it's exactly what they are.

The only market segment they seem capable of owning down here are clowns who want to attach a level of status and noise to their ineptitude and horrible automotive choices. An old client of mine used to import and convert Dodge rolling shitpiles to RHD and made a killing almost exclusively off idiots that had come into some funds and wanted to own something from Knight Rider or obnoxious yank imports themselves wanting to show us Aussies just how good the machinery was from the 'old country'.

Totally baffled by wanting to own something at four times the price, one tenth the reliability and absolutely none of the capability of something with a Toyota badge.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The good thing about people buying $60,000 trucks is that 10-15 years later, people that actually use trucks for work will be able to afford them.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Zaphod42 posted:

Anybody remember LucasArts The Dig ? I never actually bought it although it sounds like a pretty cool adventure game. But as a kid I always wanted to buy it because that box just kept catching my eye in stores:

They made the cover out of this iridescent reflective material that made it really shimmer like some kinda alien or space age technology. Pretty great marketing gimmick.

I bought the Dig on a whim when I was a teenager, and I loved it, it felt awesome solving the puzzles, UNTIL THE drat TURTLE. I rebuilt that drat turtle skeleton 50 times, and it would never come back to life. And this was in the early internet days, so I couldn't find a walkthrough to save my life. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As far as truck commercials go, there is one for (I think) Chevy at the moment where they have 4 guys and a girl getting asked questions. They get asked a bunch of questions like "which truck do you think is the most safe/which truck has best milage/which truck blah blah blah" For most of the questions the guys answer any truck that isn't a Chevy, except for the last question where the girl is asked "which truck...." and answers Chevy and a guy says Ford at which point the girl says "really?" and rolls her eyes. Lo and behold it is revealed that the answer to all those questions is Chevy".
The reason I find this ad really stupid is because it comes across that to the general public every other truck that isn't a Chevy is the better truck. Only at the end did someone actually answer Chevy and the person who did that comes across as condescending. Besides that when asked "which truck do you think is the best according to industry standards?" the people said everything but a Chevy.
I wish I could find the commercial online so you can see what I am talking about but I can't

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I just heard a radio ad where Snoop Dogg was talking about sitting in his pajamas and turning up the air conditioning and sitting in front of the fireplace and he said something like "yeah its environmentally irresponsible but its fun as hell" and then it turned out it was an Old Navy commercial and am I having some sort of fever dream or has someone else heard this.

I've been getting it on Spotify. Snoop's voice is a nice change of pace from a fake drill sergeant screaming "CALLING ALL GAMERS" every time.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

KFC trying to sell their bucket as friendship bucket where the people in the and sit with a friend. They are asked a question about their friend and have their answer on a piece of paper, if they're right they get a piece of chicken.
It's already a bit weird to kind of patronisingly give them a piece of friend chicken. The worst is at roughly 26seconds when the tone suddenly goes a bit darker with mentions of family death/fighting in the war. Thankfully when the friends guess that the bravest moment their friend has had was when their mother died they don't show them getting a piece of chicken but it is kind of implied in the set up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTgs2Mk14o

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Speaking of KFC, I don't know if this is global or just local but they recently changed all their menus and oh man it's loving weird. Not only did they get rid of their chicken strips which were the only good thing on their menu but they changed their popcorn chicken to "popcorn nuggets" but they still sell their regular chicken nuggets as well. Which are synonymously called "chicken nuggets" and "chicken tenders" on the menu across the different meals. Last time I went to eat there with some friends we were also told they don't cook white meat anymore, because "no one here likes white meat" which is definitely just a local issue but seriously, what the hell.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Geokinesis posted:

KFC trying to sell their bucket as friendship bucket where the people in the and sit with a friend. They are asked a question about their friend and have their answer on a piece of paper, if they're right they get a piece of chicken.
It's already a bit weird to kind of patronisingly give them a piece of friend chicken. The worst is at roughly 26seconds when the tone suddenly goes a bit darker with mentions of family death/fighting in the war. Thankfully when the friends guess that the bravest moment their friend has had was when their mother died they don't show them getting a piece of chicken but it is kind of implied in the set up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLTgs2Mk14o
The food reward is straight out of rats in a lab; I hope there's a b-roll with electric shocks for wrong answers.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of KFC, I don't know if this is global or just local but they recently changed all their menus and oh man it's loving weird. Not only did they get rid of their chicken strips which were the only good thing on their menu but they changed their popcorn chicken to "popcorn nuggets" but they still sell their regular chicken nuggets as well. Which are synonymously called "chicken nuggets" and "chicken tenders" on the menu across the different meals. Last time I went to eat there with some friends we were also told they don't cook white meat anymore, because "no one here likes white meat" which is definitely just a local issue but seriously, what the hell.

They actually got rid of popcorn chicken entirely for awhile and then brought it back under the nugget moniker.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I bought the Dig on a whim when I was a teenager, and I loved it, it felt awesome solving the puzzles, UNTIL THE drat TURTLE. I rebuilt that drat turtle skeleton 50 times, and it would never come back to life. And this was in the early internet days, so I couldn't find a walkthrough to save my life. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Old adventures games being such obtuse frustrating pieces of poo poo is itself a dumb marketing move, because it happened more or less to drive calls to the help tipline.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madkal posted:

As far as truck commercials go, there is one for (I think) Chevy at the moment where they have 4 guys and a girl getting asked questions. They get asked a bunch of questions like "which truck do you think is the most safe/which truck has best milage/which truck blah blah blah" For most of the questions the guys answer any truck that isn't a Chevy, except for the last question where the girl is asked "which truck...." and answers Chevy and a guy says Ford at which point the girl says "really?" and rolls her eyes. Lo and behold it is revealed that the answer to all those questions is Chevy".
The reason I find this ad really stupid is because it comes across that to the general public every other truck that isn't a Chevy is the better truck. Only at the end did someone actually answer Chevy and the person who did that comes across as condescending. Besides that when asked "which truck do you think is the best according to industry standards?" the people said everything but a Chevy.
I wish I could find the commercial online so you can see what I am talking about but I can't

The worst truck ads I saw recently were the ones where they take a group of people and show them two pictures, one of generic white guy in front of a regular, non-rear end in a top hat person car, and the other is the same guy in front a giant gently caress off rear end in a top hat truck. They ask what the group of people think about the guy in each picture and its basically with the car its all "He looks like a pussy" and with the truck its "he looks like a MAN".

They might as well shoot an add with a bunch of cartoony gay guys driving down the highway in car listening to lady gaga and being all fey with tiny dogs and fancy coffees, only to have a giant gently caress off truck driven by a bunch of guys with big beards and confederate tattoos with a flatbed where they're making whiskey and have hunting dogs crush the car and the words "Don't be a fag, BUY A TRUCK!" burst onto screen.

And yes, there are people who can use trucks, but the marketing does not target them, even if its glamorizing them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a let's play of it if you don't feel like playing through it yourself.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

twistedmentat posted:

The worst truck ads I saw recently were the ones where they take a group of people and show them two pictures, one of generic white guy in front of a regular, non-rear end in a top hat person car, and the other is the same guy in front a giant gently caress off rear end in a top hat truck. They ask what the group of people think about the guy in each picture and its basically with the car its all "He looks like a pussy" and with the truck its "he looks like a MAN".

They might as well shoot an add with a bunch of cartoony gay guys driving down the highway in car listening to lady gaga and being all fey with tiny dogs and fancy coffees, only to have a giant gently caress off truck driven by a bunch of guys with big beards and confederate tattoos with a flatbed where they're making whiskey and have hunting dogs crush the car and the words "Don't be a fag, BUY A TRUCK!" burst onto screen.

And yes, there are people who can use trucks, but the marketing does not target them, even if its glamorizing them.

There were so many commercials like this on during this past Super Bowl. *human being drives a scooter down the street while a REAL MAN drives past in his new $50,000 truck*

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This just in: Amazon promotes new show with Nazi-themed imagery: http://mashable.com/2015/11/23/amazon-nazi-bus-ads/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#hiBNrKIDKqqa

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

You might say that is bad advertising, but I had never heard of that show before now and will probably give it a shot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

OctoberBlues posted:

You might say that is bad advertising, but I had never heard of that show before now and will probably give it a shot.

That marketing is really in really poor taste, even if they didn't use Swastikas. And yes the shows pretty good, even though I hate the opening theme because I hate everything to do with the Sound of Music.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The good thing about people buying $60,000 trucks is that 10-15 years later, people that actually use trucks for work will be able to afford them.

The switch from "selling to rural workers" to "selling to urban and suburban assholes" happened around 1995 and you can kind of track the transition from the commercials and the price. The commercials went from showing a farmer, to showing a contractor, to showing recreation activities as the price went from $9k to $32k for the base model.

So you end up with people who actually need pickups buying late nineties Ford Rangers while assholes buy their dick replacement.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Men in Black, and Mars Attacks both do it. Majoras Mask had a side quest about aliens attacking a farm. DBZ starts with an alien landing on a farm. The movie Signs.

I've only recently found out Banjo Spaceship is actually called Phalanx.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Grey Fox posted:

You're a saint. My dad was amped about this game back in the day (I didn't know who Robert Patrick was or why he was excited to see him voice a game character), and I'm convinced he's completely forgotten about it. This'll be something nice to break out after Thanksgiving dinner rather than just bitching about useless politicians for hours.

edit: To this day, I don't know how people can say the turtle puzzle was more infuriating than the glowy-orb-robot thing you had to program commands for so it'd pick something up. Literally the only puzzle I've ever called a goddam tipline for in my entire life.

edit2: Oh!!! I completely forgot the game even came with a card that gave you like five free minutes on the tipline, like those fuckers knew.

The turtle puzzle pales in frustration to the bit where you have to show Maggie a specific item on a specific screen, with absolutely no hint you have to do that. That had me stuck for years.

I can't use these two things together.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

davidspackage posted:

The turtle puzzle pales in frustration to the bit where you have to show Maggie a specific item on a specific screen, with absolutely no hint you have to do that. That had me stuck for years.

I can't use these two things together.

Can you spoiler the puzzle? I'm super familiar with a lot of them but I can't think which specific one.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Die Laughing posted:

Men in Black, and Mars Attacks both do it. Majoras Mask had a side quest about aliens attacking a farm. DBZ starts with an alien landing on a farm. The movie Signs.
Hell, the trope is even sent up in Back to the Future.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
The best thing about The Dig is that Steve Blum voices one of the main characters and it's one of the few jobs he's done where you don't immediately recognize his voice :toot:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Danger Mahoney posted:

The switch from "selling to rural workers" to "selling to urban and suburban assholes" happened around 1995 and you can kind of track the transition from the commercials and the price. The commercials went from showing a farmer, to showing a contractor, to showing recreation activities as the price went from $9k to $32k for the base model.

So you end up with people who actually need pickups buying late nineties Ford Rangers while assholes buy their dick replacement.

Hm. That's actually really interesting and it explains a lot. My dad drove Ford pickups all through the 80s. I think he was trading in every year, in fact, and getting a new ones, and it was something I've wondered about because my Dad has never in his life been a big spender. Then in 1990 he switched to a Mazda B2200, which he drove until the late 90s, after which he didn't drive trucks anymore. That the price started to spike around 1990 would totally be the cause of his abandoning his long-time brand loyalty.

(there's a Ford black friday ad at the top of my browser right now.)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I just heard a radio ad where Snoop Dogg was talking about sitting in his pajamas and turning up the air conditioning and sitting in front of the fireplace and he said something like "yeah its environmentally irresponsible but its fun as hell" and then it turned out it was an Old Navy commercial and am I having some sort of fever dream or has someone else heard this.

Remember when white people were afraid of Dr. Dre and Ice Cube and Snoop Dogg?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

To be fair, I'm still afraid of Suge Knight.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pastry of the Year posted:

To be fair, I'm still afraid of Suge Knight.

He's been dead for 20 years and I'm still a little scared of Eazy-E.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Farmers and UFOs/aliens are connected by the common thread of cattle mutilations, which were definitely a "thing" in the '70s/'80s.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

He's been dead for 20 years and I'm still a little scared of Eazy-E.

He's been a cop for 15 years, and I'm still a little scared of Ice-T.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Boywhiz88 posted:

Can you spoiler the puzzle? I'm super familiar with a lot of them but I can't think which specific one.

at one point Maggie is following you and you have to show the tablet you found in the alien museum to her, but she'll just say it reminds her of something she can't quite remember. Unless you show it to her on a specific beach screen with some glowing rocks, where she'll use it to summon a little island in the water.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Phalanx is just another example of SFC carts having cooler packaging

That's exactly what you'd expect and it sells the game pretty well

That is a dong with wings, friend.

Recently some lovely third tier cable channel started advertising their upcoming showing of The Wizard of Oz, and they did it on FB with a picture of Scarecrow on his post and the caption "Get that stick out of your @$$!"

It's the most cringeworthy fake-edginess I've seen since the 90s. How did anyone think that was the right way to advertise an 80 year old musical?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah and its extra weird because literally the only explanation I have for Old Navy continuing to exist is every Mormon I've ever known has gotten their entire wardrobe there and they are all still very much afraid of black people so I don't know who that ad is marketed toward.