Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Of course i'm right. The Hypermattes are very nice as well but they split at the top too often...

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with McMagic here as well. Hypermattes shuffle better, but they split all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
or to elaborate:

= good

= I haven't used

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I've gone through about 8 or 9 packs of hypermattes, and they are my favorite brand, but they seem to have inconsistent manufacturer quality. I've had a pack which lasted a month of events, and one that had split sleeves appear within the same event that they were purchased for. They all have felt uniformly great, but some have been much more accident prone than others.

In terms of pure bulk for one use events, or for large projects such as cubes or towers, Dex protection offers a 100 count sleeve pack for 4.95, which has worked very well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The only thing that dragonshield has ever had an issue with was stickiness and the curl on new sleeves. None of this exists with the new dragonshield mattes.

I can't figure out any downsides to the mattes at this point. We have basically reached the pinnacle of sleeve technology outside of some kind of material that doesn't get dirty.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

So basically like Legendary Cube. (It's really, really bad. It's the Timmiest of Timmy Cubes in an actively boring way).
It's not really any worse than the current iteration of MTGO Legacy Cube if you take into account the facts that a) there are some absurdly unfair cards that b) people keep passing so c) you get to win a bunch by playing Bad Art Legacy Weapon and Mirari's Wake.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I got a pick 12 Captain Sisay once in Legendary Cube, I don't understand. (Admittedly I first grabbed Coalition Victory, then Progenitus, then fixing for the next pack and a half, then grabbed more creatures/wincons).

In a different Legendary Cube, I grabbed Hidetsugu's Second Rite, then Hidetsugu, then Chandra Fire of Kaladesh, then Edrik Sahr, and a bunch of other evasion/tokens/ping/burns. Got it to work. Cube owns.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've had kmcs split but only because I accidentally had one half of the deck upside down when I shuffled. I popped 3 or 4 at once and after that they split willy nilly. I replaced all of those and haven't had any problems before or since. However I'll give dragon shields a chance.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Static Equilibrium posted:

It's not really any worse than the current iteration of MTGO Legacy Cube if you take into account the facts that a) there are some absurdly unfair cards that b) people keep passing so c) you get to win a bunch by playing Bad Art Legacy Weapon and Mirari's Wake.

It's about 10 billion times worse than MTGO Legacy Cube because there's no actual synergy and all of the non-creature cards are just random poo poo thrown in for whatever. All you do is draft fixing and mana rocks, then take whatever's in pack 3 and turn guys sideways.

Sleeve chat - Dragon Shield Mattes are the sleeve I've been looking for for a year or two. They're not weird and curled, the cards don't slip out if not-double sleeved and they don't get grody insantly like regular Dragon Shields. KMC Hypermat are fine if you double sleeve but I don't want to double sleeve most of my decks.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 23, 2015

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
kmc hypermatte + kmc perfect fit for your ultimate mtg experience.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

kmc hypermatte + kmc perfect fit for your ultimate mtg experience.

If by ultimate mtg experience you mean spending 20 minutes sleeving a deck. (obviously double sleeving anything is time consuming and tedious so its not like its specific to KMC). I just think Dragon Shield Mattes are basically the same thing except MTG cards can actually be put in them single sleeved also, whereas doing that with a KMC will cause the cause to slide out the top and get a bunch of top edge wear. When double sleeved they feel pretty much the same as KMCs to me.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

It's about 10 billion times worse than MTGO Legacy Cube because there's no actual synergy and all of the non-creature cards are just random poo poo thrown in for whatever. All you do is draft fixing and mana rocks, then take whatever's in pack 3 and turn guys sideways.
I agree with you that it's bad, but I haven't really had success drafting anything especially sweet in the most recent iteration of legacy cube either. At least in Legendary cube you have the potential to exile someone's entire board or Mindslaver lock them, which is more fun [for me!] than assembling twin combo or jamming planes walkers or ramping into a crater hoof, which are really the only strategies I can figure out how to draft successfully in the current Legacy Cube.

Edit: legendary cube also has no storm cards, which is a trap I am unable to resist in any cube even when it's pretty clearly awful (again, see legacy cube), so I'm forced to draft better decks. In sum, I'm a terrible drafter so Legendary Cube is definitely my kind of turd.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 23, 2015

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

So basically like Legendary Cube. (It's really, really bad. It's the Timmiest of Timmy Cubes in an actively boring way).

I love legendary cube because 5-color is the best deck, it's easy to draft, and no one applies pressure before turn 5.

edit

Static Equilibrium posted:

In sum, I'm a terrible drafter so Legendary Cube is definitely my kind of turd.
also this

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 23, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

This is wrong. Dragonshield Matte sleeves are by far the best sleeves you can buy quality wise. Though if you are going to the KMC Route, the correct sleeves are the Hareruya ones.

Dragonshield Mattes are amazing, I've been using the same pack for drafts for weeks now with no sign of wear. Someone complimented me on my nice new sleeves and was shocked when I told them how long I used them for. The only reason I'm thinking about replacing them is they've picked up enough grime from the tables that they make my hands feel weird even though they look brand new. I should use a playmat more often.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I use hypermattes exclusively and I've never had a sleeve rip. I have sleeved and unsleeeved thousands of cards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think it's clear I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing in this cube.

Like what the gently caress.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pussy Snorkel posted:

I use hypermattes exclusively and I've never had a sleeve rip. I have sleeved and unsleeeved thousands of cards.

Well you have had fantastic luck.

They don't split anywhere near the level that the ultra-pro and other poo poo sleeves do but yes, kmc do rip consistently enough to have to bring spares to competitive events. I probably went through at least 12 packs of kmc hyper mats and can remember splitting them during competitive play at least 8 times in the last few years. From a quality standpoint, that is pretty loving great. The problem is that they are around the same price as the dragon shield mattes and dragonshields are impossible to break.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Go sleeveless, it saves you money and puts a bunch of people on tilt all the time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ramos posted:

Go sleeveless, it saves you money and puts a bunch of people on tilt all the time.

I am pretty sure going to your next pptq with a sleeveless jeskai black deck would be a sight to see.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Slight derail, but for those of you that love to hate on Randy Buehler and Wizards commentary in general, you should probably head over to Joe Losett's stream right about now. :v: This may have something to do with a conversation he had with LSV over Twitter.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I went 3-0 on xmage with this list:

Door of Destinies won me a couple games, with Panoptic Mirror imprinting Time Warp getting me most of the others.

A timely condemn on an opponent trying to get me with old Omnath got me a game that I had mirror and warp in hand for anyway.
Didn't cast Divine Reckoning, Memnarch or Mageta once, didn't draw Eesha at all, and Lorthos landed and had an opponent scoop to him.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

bhsman posted:

Slight derail, but for those of you that love to hate on Randy Buehler and Wizards commentary in general, you should probably head over to Joe Losett's stream right about now. :v: This may have something to do with a conversation he had with LSV over Twitter.

Tuned in for a second and heard linkin park, not worth whatever that was about.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cactrot posted:

CRAWLING IN MY TOUGHNESS

THESE WOULDS THEY WILL NOT HEAL UNTIL END OF TURN

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

bhsman posted:

long story short dude imitated the WotC commentary booth by commentating on the match he's currently playing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cactrot posted:

idk some sort of poo poo where some guy I've never heard of complained about the quality of the coverage team

Count Bleck posted:

I think it's clear I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing in this cube.

Like what the gently caress.

No, that's doing it right, 5 color what the gently caress ever is the only archetype in the cube

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 23, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

idk some sort of poo poo where some guy I've never heard of complained about the quality of the coverage team

Magic pros aren't really what you would call "celebrities" but following magic as much as you do and not knowing who Joe Losett is? That is a little confusing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

Magic pros aren't really what you would call "celebrities" but following magic as much as you do and not knowing who Joe Losett is? That is a little confusing.
Why would it be? I have no idea at all who that is. I know who quite a few dudes are, but typically only if they've done something that's likely to come up in a forum discussion as opposed to being being a regular pro level magic player.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

bhsman posted:

God why would you recommend a stream with a miracles mirror on it

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cactrot posted:

Owns.

Angry Grimace posted:

Why would it be? I have no idea at all who that is. I know who quite a few dudes are, but typically only if they've done something that's likely to come up in a forum discussion as opposed to being being a regular pro level magic player.

He tends to play just Legacy (though he's won a few Standard SCG Opens) and is most-known for his Miracles variant. Reid Duke talked at length about what Joe means to Legacy about a year and a half ago.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
My favorite thing about Joe Lossett is having to ask him what phase we're supposed to be in while he tops because when we played because he had an aversion to talking (and to drawing business cards so I took the match).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

bhsman posted:

Owns.

He tends to play just Legacy (though he's won a few Standard SCG Opens) and is most-known for his Miracles variant. Reid Duke talked at length about what Joe means to Legacy about a year and a half ago.

Legacy is the only format I don't care about in any way, so that's probably part of it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Crossposting

Sigma-X posted:

Would anyone have any interest in a Goon League for a format that involves only using "Command Zone" Products and Conspiracy?

Card list here:

http://magiccards.info/query?q=%28e...&v=card&s=cname

It's a bigger format than standard, smaller than modern, and has a mix of legacy powerhouses like brainstorm, shardless agent, true name nemesis, etc, and then a bunch of super fat dudes.

I'd like to organize it over cockatrice/xmage if we had some interest.

I'm mostly excited by the notion of a format where everyone has to brew because nobody is playing this format.

No banlist, planes and conspiracies themselves are not allowed, however.

I don't think there's a reason for a banlist because there isn't enough affinity to make the artifact lands problematic and I don't think TNN will be oppressive in a format that has a million sweepers.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Can we draft it?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh good another Thunderdome. Tell us when you open the thread so I can sign up.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

How do we handle conspiracies in a constructed environment?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Mikujin posted:

How do we handle conspiracies in a constructed environment?

313.2. At the start of a game, before decks are shuffled, each player may put any number of conspiracy cards from his or her sideboard into the command zone. Conspiracy cards with hidden agenda are put into the command zone face down. (See rule 702.105, “Hidden Agenda.”)

e: The only really ambiguous card is Worldknit. Card Pool is not a term defined outside of limited

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

If I were to take a guess, it just means we ignore the conspiracy cards.

Also, lol, Ruhan's drawback is out the door now, I suppose.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
for rules clarifications:

No planes or conspiracies. 60 card decks, 4 copies of a card, 15 card sideboard. It's regular constructed magic, just with a cardpool people haven't used before so you can't netdeck.

Outside of those card types, there is no other banlist, we aren't importing the legacy/modern/etc banlists. This means you get to play with 3 legacy banned cards, Sol Ring, Skull Clamp, and Windfall, and you can run 4 of these in your decks. If these break the format we will ban them for future tournaments but I want to see brews.

There's probably some broke-rear end poo poo you can do with Skull Clamp, veteran explorers, two llanowar elves, and two doomed travelers in the pool. I'd rather find out than preemptively cut it out.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Sigma-X posted:

for rules clarifications:

No planes or conspiracies. 60 card decks, 4 copies of a card, 15 card sideboard. It's regular constructed magic, just with a cardpool people haven't used before so you can't netdeck.

Outside of those card types, there is no other banlist, we aren't importing the legacy/modern/etc banlists. This means you get to play with 3 legacy banned cards, Sol Ring, Skull Clamp, and Windfall, and you can run 4 of these in your decks. If these break the format we will ban them for future tournaments but I want to see brews.

There's probably some broke-rear end poo poo you can do with Skull Clamp, veteran explorers, two llanowar elves, and two doomed travelers in the pool. I'd rather find out than preemptively cut it out.

Are we playing on MODO or something like Cockatrice? If it's MODO I'm game.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Are we playing on MODO or something like Cockatrice? If it's MODO I'm game.

Most likely Xmage, which is what all the goon leagues tend to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Ramos posted:

Most likely Xmage, which is what all the goon leagues tend to use.

Bleh.

• Locked thread