Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Don't those changes make RUG Delver the best deck forever

Except for the part where it probably loses to Burn now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Would anyone have any interest in a Goon League for a format that involves only using "Command Zone" Products and Conspiracy?

Card list here:

http://magiccards.info/query?q=%28e...&v=card&s=cname

It's a bigger format than standard, smaller than modern, and has a mix of legacy powerhouses like brainstorm, shardless agent, true name nemesis, etc, and then a bunch of super fat dudes.

I'd like to organize it over cockatrice/xmage if we had some interest.

I'm mostly excited by the notion of a format where everyone has to brew because nobody is playing this format.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I take it actual conspiracies would be banned?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'd play it if there's no banned list.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I take it actual conspiracies would be banned?

Yes.

Dr. Stab posted:

I'd play it if there's no banned list.

I don't think there's a reason to ban things yet because there isn't enough affinity AFAIK and I don't think True Name is actually oppressive in a format that has like 100 sweepers.

Also I meant to post this in the main thread so I'm gonna cross-post there.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Would anyone have any interest in a Goon League for a format that involves only using "Command Zone" Products and Conspiracy?

Card list here:

http://magiccards.info/query?q=%28e...&v=card&s=cname

It's a bigger format than standard, smaller than modern, and has a mix of legacy powerhouses like brainstorm, shardless agent, true name nemesis, etc, and then a bunch of super fat dudes.

I'd like to organize it over cockatrice/xmage if we had some interest.

I'm mostly excited by the notion of a format where everyone has to brew because nobody is playing this format.

I'm real intrigued by this. I don't know if I'd be able to play but I'd definitely brew some stuff, this seems like a really exciting playbox (assuming conspiracies are banned? idk)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sigma-X posted:

Yes.

I don't think there's a reason to ban things yet because there isn't enough affinity AFAIK and I don't think True Name is actually oppressive in a format that has like 100 sweepers.

Also I meant to post this in the main thread so I'm gonna cross-post there.

You just posted two conflicting answers. Which is it?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

You just posted two conflicting answers. Which is it?

Is it's card type "Conspiracy?"

If yes it's banned.
If no it's legal.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Okay, so that means there is a banned list, which is what I was asking about. I'd only be interested in the format if we could play conspiracies.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

Okay, so that means there is a banned list, which is what I was asking about. I'd only be interested in the format if we could play conspiracies.

I clarified in the main thread, but no planes or conspiracies.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

so ornithopter is banned?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

But Sol Ring is in, so there's that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone playing the Legacy Open in NJ this weekend?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

It's tempting although I don't have many reps in with my deck. That being all format all-star archetype, Burn.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheLawinator posted:

It's tempting although I don't have many reps in with my deck. That being all format all-star archetype, Burn.

It's legacy burn, you don't need practice.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

It's legacy burn, you don't need practice.

Remember to point the spells at your opponent. Don't Fireblast their turn 1 Deathrite. Down that path lies only defeat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Remember to point the spells at your opponent. Don't Fireblast their turn 1 Deathrite. Down that path lies only defeat.

Also try to avoid playing against Reanimator, Storm or Sneak and Show.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I'm thinking about playing a sacred foundry in the board and having the sick sideboard tech of deflecting palm.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Also try to avoid playing against Reanimator, Storm or Sneak and Show.

Reanimator isn't too bad as long as you never see Iona. Or you nail her with Surgical Extraction.

If Storm is prevalent in your meta, you already have four Eidolons mainboard, and likely will have four Pyrostatic Pillars post-board.

Ashen Rider is tech against Sneak and Show.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Look at this dumb poo poo:

// Deck: Moxen Mass (NoG Mass) (60)

// Lands
1 Ancient Den
3 Ancient Tomb
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Glimmervoid
1 Great Furnace
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Vault of Whispers
4 Wasteland

// Creatures
3 Aven Mindcensor
4 Notion Thief

// Sorceries
4 Day's Undoing
4 Vindicate

// Enchantments
3 Ghirapur Ęther Grid

// Artifacts
4 Chrome Mox
1 Crucible of Worlds
2 Ensnaring Bridge
4 Lotus Petal
4 Mox Diamond
3 Mox Opal
3 Trinisphere

// Planeswalkers
2 Dack Fayden

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Academy Ruins
SB: 2 Aura of Silence
SB: 4 Chalice of the Void
SB: 1 Dack Fayden
SB: 3 Engineered Explosives
SB: 2 Meddling Mage
SB: 2 Spellskite

Fast Mana prison deck :froggonk:

Turn 1 Trinisphere, Ghirapur wrecks Delver and Infect, Miracles has maybe 7 cards in deck that would counter this deck's spells, Day's Undoing and Notion Thief let you live the dream.

It even has the blind T1 Day's Undoing play to ruin opposing mulligans.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 24, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kraus posted:

Reanimator isn't too bad as long as you never see Iona. Or you nail her with Surgical Extraction.

If Storm is prevalent in your meta, you already have four Eidolons mainboard, and likely will have four Pyrostatic Pillars post-board.

Ashen Rider is tech against Sneak and Show.

Yeah but Entomb into Iona with a counter backup is just a medium hand for Reanimator.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Must build bad prison deck!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Will day's undoing and notion thief work? Days undoing immediately ends the turn before any triggers can happen. I thought undoing and Alhammarets archive didn't work for the same reason. Unless thief counts as a replacement effect and works differently for reasons I'm not sure of?

Days undoing and spirit of the Labyrinth might work though, right?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Both work. Notion Thief is a replacement effect, not a trigger.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Why would you ever run 4 Days Undoing and not 3 and a Timetwister

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why would you ever run 4 Days Undoing and not 3 and a Timetwister

It's legacy.

I've lost a game to Days+Notion Thief in modern. It sucked tremendously. I won the match though, because it turns out he was playing Days and Notion thief while I was playing Tarmogoyf and Bounding Krasis.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I played in Card Kingdom's paper Pauper tournament last weekend, pre-registration was sold out and the tournament had a full 72 people in it. was pretty drat fun. I ran Esper Familiars. Lots of Mono Blue Delver, Mono Black Control, though the combo decks at the tournament pushed Mono Black out pretty early. Didn't see any Lightning Bolts cast all day. Breakout deck of the tournament was probably High Tide which seemed to be crushing a lot of the matchups, to the point where they have banned High Tide in the next pauper tournament their running. On their coverage it turn 2'd through a Duress. I dropped after round 6 at 3-3, wins vs. Delver x2 and White weenie, losses to Delver x2 and Mono Black. They're running another one in January, I believe, going to try to attend that.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

I played in Card Kingdom's paper Pauper tournament last weekend, pre-registration was sold out and the tournament had a full 72 people in it. was pretty drat fun. I ran Esper Familiars. Lots of Mono Blue Delver, Mono Black Control, though the combo decks at the tournament pushed Mono Black out pretty early. Didn't see any Lightning Bolts cast all day. Breakout deck of the tournament was probably High Tide which seemed to be crushing a lot of the matchups, to the point where they have banned High Tide in the next pauper tournament their running. On their coverage it turn 2'd through a Duress. I dropped after round 6 at 3-3, wins vs. Delver x2 and White weenie, losses to Delver x2 and Mono Black. They're running another one in January, I believe, going to try to attend that.

I watched a bunch of that and it seemed real odd to me that they went to the trouble of banning a bunch of cards like goblin grenade when high tide was right there.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

I missed this because I didn't pre-reg, I should be at the next one running some kind of Delver/Fiend or mono G infect.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I play RUG Tron online. It's pretty fun. A lot of decks have a hard time beating a Fangren Marauder, and the ones that can have a hard time with Maul Splicer.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

TheLawinator posted:

I watched a bunch of that and it seemed real odd to me that they went to the trouble of banning a bunch of cards like goblin grenade when high tide was right there.

I think it was because the organizers of the event weren't super familiar with paper pauper tournaments and just went with mtgo's list + hymn.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dehtraen posted:

I think it was because the organizers of the event weren't super familiar with paper pauper tournaments and just went with mtgo's list + hymn.

Am friends with the organizer; can confirm. Dude loves his super-dry eurogames, hates Magic.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
A place near me is doing "No Holds Barred Modern" at Winterval, so Modern sans banlist. I have Affinity and can look at getting Skullclamps,, and maybe Artifact Lands, what else should I look at? Not sure I can justify getting Jittes or Tops if they even work.

Maybe I can get Breakfast Burrito to work? What's going to be nuts in this thing? I guess someone might repurpose a Legacy Miracles deck for it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'd be inclined to go with Hypergenesis with a slight chance of Shoal Infect

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Affinity with Artifact Lands and Skullclamp sounds pretty much perfect already.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hypergenesis hasn't been performing at any of the no ban list tourneys. Seeing lots of affinity and shoal

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Frozen_flame posted:

Affinity with Artifact Lands and Skullclamp sounds pretty much perfect already.

Guess I'll try to find old lists where they were played, which I guess would be the old Mirrodin-era standard Affinity? I don't know how to use Skullclamp right, seems like there's a risk to giving up board presence to it. Do I still play Inkmoth and Blinkmoth Nexus? Keep Darksteel Citadel?

There's also the question of if I keep Ensoul Artifact, which I really like but I think the last successful Affinity modern deck was red-leaning with Galvanic Blasts.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
ancient tomb looks popular in legacy affinity lists. I'm a bit surprised disciple of the vault isn't run, it works really well with artifact lands.

edit: and ravager

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

mcmagic posted:

Anyone playing the Legacy Open in NJ this weekend?

Yup, driving down from Toronto with my usual crew. Miracles, Deadguy Ale, Reanimator, and Shardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BizarroAzrael posted:

A place near me is doing "No Holds Barred Modern" at Winterval, so Modern sans banlist. I have Affinity and can look at getting Skullclamps,, and maybe Artifact Lands, what else should I look at? Not sure I can justify getting Jittes or Tops if they even work.

Maybe I can get Breakfast Burrito to work? What's going to be nuts in this thing? I guess someone might repurpose a Legacy Miracles deck for it.

Hypergenesis and Blazing Shoal Infect sit up near the top with Affinity.

• Locked thread