Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

nomadologique posted:

where do you think the catalogs come from?

the koreans still use stainless steel chopsticks because royalty used to use silver ones to detect poison, and poor people couldn't afford silver so they used stuff that "looked" silver

poor and middle class image culture has always been an attempt to look rich without being rich

How does silver detect poison? Never heard of that, but sounds pretty interesting.

Also, yeah, everyone thinks they're better off than they are--that they belong in the next class up. So they spend their money on poo poo that those kinds of people would buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

Also, yeah, everyone thinks they're better off than they are--that they belong in the next class up. So they spend their money on poo poo that those kinds of people would buy.

that's why I spend all my money on NES memorabilia

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A Strange Aeon posted:

I wonder if there is somewhere I can get a deal on a sex tourism package, I want to be a big shot and get some questionable foreign prostitutes but I don't want to spend too much

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KoRMaK posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this is like a couple blocks from me lol.

I'm one of the millnails near hingetown. If thats the firehouse i think it is then thats where a flower store and a coffee shop is in. Didnt know people lived there.

They are probably nice people.

What's up Ohio City buddy. They are probably exceptionally nice to people exactly like them. I hear about the transformation of that area, but never knew all the details. Pays to have lots of family money because everything I read about this guy is that he's pretty much done a whole bunch of jack poo poo until he decided to use dad's money to buy a bunch of buildings and create a neighborhood. I can't really complain too much though, like everything there is pretty cool.

I also now know why people told me that Ohio City was the gay neighborhood of Cleveland, looks like he pretty much kicked all the gay bars out to make Hingetown. As long as the vibrator company never goes away, I'll be happy.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
edit: ah gently caress it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bird in a Blender posted:

What's up Ohio City buddy. They are probably exceptionally nice to people exactly like them. I hear about the transformation of that area, but never knew all the details. Pays to have lots of family money because everything I read about this guy is that he's pretty much done a whole bunch of jack poo poo until he decided to use dad's money to buy a bunch of buildings and create a neighborhood. I can't really complain too much though, like everything there is pretty cool.

I also now know why people told me that Ohio City was the gay neighborhood of Cleveland, looks like he pretty much kicked all the gay bars out to make Hingetown. As long as the vibrator company never goes away, I'll be happy.

“patrimonial capitalism” in action!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rondette posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/theslice/can-graham-veysey-make-cleveland-not-suck

This is quite a good article, it doesn't deny that the gentrification has had some positive aspects, it also highlights some of the issues about the surrounding neighbourhoods and older residents.

Gentrification is good, literally buying an apartment block and telling the tenants to get out is not. What the gently caress

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Gentrification is good, literally buying an apartment block and telling the tenants to get out is not. What the gently caress

Not to mention how that guy is making piles of money off his real estate projects but trying to pitch as being altruistic for the community.

Either way my hat if off to him for convincing people to willingly move to Cleveland

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

I'm the "idea" light bulb between the two stacks of books.

I wonder if they freak out if somebody picks up one of their books to flip through "Please do not touch the props, thank you"

added: Holy Christ those lamps! fuckin' millennials :argh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Mad Monk posted:

added: Holy Christ those lamps! fuckin' millennials :argh:

dude's pushing 40, for once a legitimate gen x-er

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

A place like this opened near my place ("Just juiced" or something) and we got a menu for it in the mail. Every single smoothie they have sounds like a disgusting mixture of every "good food" that they could cram into a blender, regardless of type or taste.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

A place like this opened near my place ("Just juiced" or something) and we got a menu for it in the mail. Every single smoothie they have sounds like a disgusting mixture of every "good food" that they could cram into a blender, regardless of type or taste.

It's also a sign that your rent will be going up next year.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

what a bad name. come on. 'beet' is an endless font of punsobillities

'beet this'

'beet around the bush'

'beets us'

'just beet it' <--- good one, it's a reference to the hit song "beat it" by michael jackson

'unbeeten' (good sports bar-themed beet juice cafe name)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

etalian posted:

It's also a sign that your rent will be going up next year.

We live just on the rich side of a "rich yuppies/crippling poverty" city line, they recently built a new building to hold a new starbucks, potbellies, and Chipotle right outside my apt complex. It is kind of weird actually *seeing* gentrification slowly creeping down the road

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

If you juice a vegetable it is by definition no longer raw! Silly miblenials.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

We live just on the rich side of a "rich yuppies/crippling poverty" city line, they recently built a new building to hold a new starbucks, potbellies, and Chipotle right outside my apt complex. It is kind of weird actually *seeing* gentrification slowly creeping down the road

It's sort of funny when they pitch the area as vibrant authentic urban living when it has chain stores and restaurants already found in major US cities

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Dave Concepcion posted:

dude's pushing 40, for once a legitimate gen x-er

fuckin' hipsters :argh:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

A Strange Aeon posted:

How does silver detect poison? Never heard of that, but sounds pretty interesting.

lol if you weren't aware of this since like sixth grade when you read Huck Finn

this is good

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

Silver will instantly tarnish when it comes into contact with sulfur/arsenic.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

mr. mephistopheles posted:

also we do have laws against hate speech and the FCC has been censoring public broadcast since before snake people were even born oops gotcha olds, I better not hear gently caress on my tv but why can't I say friend of the family if I'm telling a joke to my buddies at work

You can say friend of the family on TV and say gently caress to your co-workers, so it all evens out. Having to be anodyne at work isn't much of an infringement.

We do not have laws about hate speech, only fighting words, "those that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace," e.g. when you say, "gently caress you I bet your mom's clitoris drags on the floor, you limp-wristed spick," to someone's face. That is, it only counts if they are not reasonably able to choose not to hear it.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 23, 2015

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Next time you happen by the juice place late at night, casually toss a brick through the window. Repeat as necessary.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Stinky_Pete posted:

You can say friend of the family on TV and say gently caress to your co-workers, so it all evens out. Having to be anodyne at work isn't much of an infringement.

We do not have laws about hate speech, only fighting words, "those that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace," e.g. when you say, "gently caress you I bet your mom's clitoris drags on the floor, you limp-wristed spick," to someone's face. That is, it only counts if they are not reasonably able to choose not to hear it.

yeah you're right

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

I thought being masculine was about being masculine, not buying products that state they are for MEN ONLY, but clearly I'm wrong

This is why I only buy soap with "shea" in it, whatever that is, and rub it on with a pink loofa. It reminds me how secure I am in my masculinity.

E: if a shower puff is the thing that's made of folded nets of one of those space age materials instead of looking like a sponge, that's what I use and have just been calling it a loofa

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 23, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Can you type some of them out? I'm curious.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

Too rough, no lather. It feels less like a luxurious cleaning instrument and more like a self-flagellation device

I share a bathroom with someone who uses the Axe thing, and it's basically a shower puff on one side and a handle on the other side. lol if anyone actually scrubs with that part

Propaganda Hour posted:

This is a surprise to you? US Democrats have been heavily pro-censorship for at least the last thirty years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parents_Music_Resource_Center

To be fair, explicit content labeling does help me when selecting which MF DOOM songs to put on my Thanksgiving dinner playlist. Can't do much to keep parents from controlling the speech available to their kids, unless you make a compelling case that it's in the state's interest, such as education.

joedevola posted:

Of course all their books are about design and are just used as props.
Now it all comes together. Because the books contain speech that supports good design, the Snake Person brain takes that to mean they will magically add good design to their environment. In the same way, these 40% of Snake People think (whatever the dominant Morality labels as) hate speech will go out and pollute a black man's lake.

This is a good name for a cum repository. I'll have to snap a photo of my local obnoxious juice place.

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 24, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

NESguerilla posted:

Can you type some of them out? I'm curious.

Wish I could but looking at the Web menu it seems that the market did some talking in the last couple of months and they have gone more into typical health smoothie fare like mixing some spinach or kale in with fruit juices. I guess I was right and no one wanted to drink pear-spinach-beet smoothies

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Stinky_Pete posted:

This is why I only buy soap with "shea" in it, whatever that is, and rub it on with a pink loofa. It reminds me how secure I am in my masculinity.

E: if a shower puff is the thing that's made of folded nets of one of those space age materials instead of looking like a sponge, that's what I use and have just been calling it a loofa

Well I guess plastic is technically a "space age" material.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Bird in a Blender posted:

For real? Was as in past tense? Bounce is still there.

I didn't know there were other ohio city goons. I knew there were cle goons but not ohio city specifically. Are you cool? If so, I'd like to meet in person and be disgusted/disgust someone else about what forums I post in.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Wtf people living in a real place that looks like a catalog. Is this guy actually Woot Fatigue or something?

For real though, not enough 2 thousand dollar chairs to make it him

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...89ad100!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cle...d41.4888304!1m0

Khorne
May 1, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i am very angry right now
yeah it's pretty much a crime against my ethnicity to call chourico chorizo

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Nick Rivers posted:

Next time you happen by the juice place late at night, casually toss a brick through the window. Repeat as necessary.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/st-henri-vandal-attacks-seen-as-response-to-gentrification-1.2389967

quote:

In the past five or so years, St. Henri has started going through a transformation. Trendy restaurants and businesses have opened in the area, condos are being built and rents are rising.

The changes have created a strained relationship between those who are rushing to this up-and-coming neighbourhood and those who have lived there for generations. That strain is being cited as the motivation behind a series of attacks on St. Henri businesses over the weekend.

At least eight stores along Notre Dame St. W were vandalized Saturday night by what witnesses described as a group of masked individuals wearing hoods.

The night before, entrepreneur Corey Shapiro said smoke bombs were tossed into his newly-opened juice bar and when he went out to investigate what was going on, he was hit in the face by pepper spray. Police are investigating the weekend incidents.

juicyyy LAB juice bar and barber shop entrepreneur mentioned above:

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
the fact that the neighborhood is soundly rejecting that dude and his business kind of makes me want to relocate there

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

In other news, millennials at some college no one cares about in Canada are freaking out:

quote:

“I think that our centre agreed … that while yoga is a really great idea, accessible and great for students, that there are cultural issues of implication involved in the practice,” the response read. “I have heard from a couple students and volunteers that feel uncomfortable with how we are doing yoga while we claim to be inclusive at the same time.”

Apparently they are mad about British colonialism of all loving things, and that somehow means handicapped people shouldn't have a yoga class

Article here

EDIT: the specific quote

Some Idiot posted:

“Many of these cultures are cultures that have experienced oppression, cultural genocide and diasporas due to colonialism and western supremacy, and we need to be mindful of this and how we express ourselves and while practicing yoga.”
I don't even

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 24, 2015

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

City of Tampa posted:

the fact that the neighborhood is soundly rejecting that dude and his business kind of makes me want to relocate there

Like you, a goon who posts on the internet, moving in there would be immune to the neighborhoods response.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

City of Tampa posted:

they would reject you too, me thinks.

edit: nothing against you personally, but you don't move into a working-class neighborhood and get acceptance. you have to be born there. (although, having the proper local low class accent helps.)

Kleen_TheRacistDog fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 24, 2015

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

You want millenials.jpg watch the episode of Parts Unknown where Anthony Bourdain goes to Detroit and ends up at a temporary experimental restaurant located in an abandoned warehouse.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

A Jew with a Sunni beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

neonbregna posted:

Lol if you don't have a poof just for your rear end

Gotta have an rear end rag just for that. Black people know this.

• Locked thread