Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I love how to avoid a Payday poo poo show they wrote

:siren:COSMETIC ONLY AND TOTALLY OPTIONAL:siren:

Seriously though, only a bunch of babies would bitch about this.

Fake Edit: No, I am not going to go on the steam forum to raft in the ocean of tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I look look forward to making my cryo frozen time nazi a pretty zombie killing barbie doll, tbh.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Skoll posted:

I look look forward to making my cryo frozen time nazi a pretty zombie killing barbie doll, tbh.

Agreed, going to put so many hats on Foster.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Harchier Spebbington was one of my favorite things about KF1. I had the skin (from pre-ordering The Ball or something) and it was impossible for anyone to get who didn't do it in time. Lots of jealous nerds over a completely cosmetic skin.

But if you could buy the Scrakinator Sword for $4.99 that lets you kill Scrakes twice as fast, that is some bullshit. But that's not what's happening, so it's all still just fun cosmetic skins.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The fact that KF2 had the CSGO Steam workshop implementation made it obvious that this was going to happen, plus KF1 had cosmetic DLC up the wazoo, so no real surprise. The crate/key stuff is crap and needs to stop happening, though. :(

Would've been nice to get some more Gunslinger info, too.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 23, 2015

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I bought an idiotic looking tf2 rocketlauncher for 30 real moneys so i'm probably as big a mark for this stuff as it gets

but man the possibility that they delayed fixing hans because they were shifting the team to work on this makes me sad

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I bought an idiotic looking tf2 rocketlauncher for 30 real moneys so i'm probably as big a mark for this stuff as it gets

but man the possibility that they delayed fixing hans because they were shifting the team to work on this makes me sad

A Less lovely Hans is now a crate drop or $4.99, sorry friend.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I'm pretty sure that they intended to do this all along and were already working on this feature for a while. The whole way the character design menu is build, was obviously for this feature. I guess it was just finished earlier. And on the other hand: The game is in a pretty good shape right now. I mean DayZ, Star Citizen and other games fare way worse than KF2.

I personally dislike having to pay for "random" items. Random items + pay to use is better in my opionion.

Also:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Mesadoram posted:

Fake Edit: No, I am not going to go on the steam forum to raft in the ocean of tears.

But that's exactly what payday 2 said in the first place. It's why everyone was so upset. They said they would never do exactly what they did.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Does it say anywhere when this is going live? I might be missing something obvious but I don't see it said on the page.

Also, this is in the faq:

quote:

Q: Will I have to spend money to remain competitive?

A: No. All of the content added in Trading Floor at launch will be cosmetic only and not affect gameplay in any way. In the future we may be adding weapons with new gameplay for sale, but this will appear in the “Shared Content” area on the server. This means that, if any player on the server has a weapon (like the Chivalry Zweihander now), then every player on the server will be able to use it. No-one gets any “advantage”. Co-op game - everyone starts out equal! Our goal is for any such weapons to be side grades anyway, so they won’t provide an edge over the current tier of weapon power.

Make of it what you will.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 23, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Make of it what you will.

It means some of the upcoming weapon DLC will only require one person on the server to own it, instead of requiring everyone to each have a copy. :v:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RoadCrewWorker posted:

In all respects, I doubt the same people are working on those items.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It means some of the upcoming weapon DLC will only require one person on the server to own it, instead of requiring everyone to each have a copy. :v:

Well yes, but what I meant was that it also means "cosmetic only" might only be temporarily true. So don't take the "cosmetic only" half of "cosmetic only and 100% optional" for granted a la Payday, it's already not a promise.

edit: Also, from the community announcement page:

quote:

But the Trader is telling us you better hurry up, something else is coming. Something about what you’ve done to his ... hmm that last part seems cut off.

So hey at least we can expect the Patriarch to be back soon, in case the instagram pic wasn't enough.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 23, 2015

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Skoll posted:

In all respects, I doubt the same people are working on those items.
Yeah, probably.

I'm just saying, the actual game parts of the game bother me more than whatever that announcement is about (which is barely).

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hans is very dealable with if you have a good team.

If you have a pub team, it's a coin toss. Some pubs, we've loving melted Hans in minutes... Others, he just slaughtered everyone one by one.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Sometimes he does that even with a good group of regular players. Hans is weird.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

Sometimes he does that even with a good group of regular players. Hans is weird.

Everyone has their off days but there are a few different forumlas that practically guarantee a win against Hans. I'm not saying he isn't broken, tedious, and unfun.. I'm just saying there are ways to deal with him.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

I love this. I like to imagine the cyst is a representation of the people who will actually complain about this.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Enough complaining you gotdamn clotsuckers!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Haven't they said Cosmetics will be part of the game since literally the beginning of KF2 development? I'd be surprised at all the surprise but, I should know better by know.

I admit, filling out later DLC with more functionally different weapons that have proven to be all kinds of desirable (as many posts in this very thread have indicated) is making me iffy. Regardless of the shared content function, mechanically different weaponry is still not just cosmetic.

Yes I know that was part of KF1 as well. But I liked when not seeing "Class A has 8 perk weapons. Class B and C has five perk weapons". was more likely, and dishing out DLC weapons again is probably gonna skew perk weapon counts, if likely not to the same degree as KF1.

I'd forgive all the functionally different weapon DLC in the world if they put out a flare revolver that got the KF2 "Balance" treatment instead of being your pocket sized fleshpound kiting device everyone keeps screaming for though :allears:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Mesadoram posted:

Except it probably isn't just cosmetics:

quote:

Q: Will I have to spend money to remain competitive?
A: No. All of the content added in Trading Floor at launch will be cosmetic only and not affect gameplay in any way. In the future we may be adding weapons with new gameplay for sale, but this will appear in the “Shared Content” area on the server. This means that, if any player on the server has a weapon (like the Chivalry Zweihander now), then every player on the server will be able to use it. No-one gets any “advantage”. Co-op game - everyone starts out equal! Our goal is for any such weapons to be side grades anyway, so they won’t provide an edge over the current tier of weapon power.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
UhHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Goddamnit. I get the cosmetics. I get that this was gonna be a thing since the game started and I am okay with it. -ish And reading the whole FAQ fills me with hope.

BUT WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO COPY THE loving HORRIBLE CS:GO "WEAR" SYSTEM? It's the worst part and all it does is poo poo on your parade when you finally get a drop.

Oh and I swear to god i will upvote every bad review on the Store page if Tripwire locks weapons behind random drops instead of letting us purchase a whole bundle of guns at once as DLC.

EDIT: Is it a Steam requirement that the site used for this type of update steals the layout from the CS:GO site and the stupid SomethingAwful-conomy name? Cause TF2 did it, Payday 2 did it, and now KF2 does it. I don't get it.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 24, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
it's called "IAP friction" kikas, learn to loathe it.

One skin's worth of artist time is suddenly made into six, how could this be bad? For the developer, it's not! I agree it's incredibly easy to make this frustrating from the player POV, though. First you get an RNG drop to maybe get a skin you like in the first place, then you get a second RNG to maybe drop the quality level you want! Who wins, not you!

It's probably accidental but this is something Payday 2 did right for at least one gun: I have a battle-worn deagle skin which looks so much better than the mint version. It's seriously better despite being shittier in the quality tier. If they can hit the sweet spot of "battle-worn looks cool also" then that's a good thing, otherwise if the only version to chase is mint they're just loving you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kikas posted:

UhHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Goddamnit. I get the cosmetics. I get that this was gonna be a thing since the game started and I am okay with it. -ish

BUT WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO COPY THE loving HORRIBLE CS:GO "WEAR" SYSTEM? It's the worst part and all it does is poo poo on your parade when you finally get a drop.

Oh and I swear to god i will upvote every bad review on the Store page if Tripwire locks weapons behind random drops instead of letting us purchase a whole bundle of guns at once as DLC.

Crate gated toys are Lit Satan (if that ends up the case) so while I wouldn't go that far, I can understand the desire I guess?

I was hoping it would just be a nice and simple cosmetics shop one and done, but I guess that doesn't get the same throwaway income and hat baron attention even if literally everything you could possibly get from a random drop was available in a shop nice and simple.

EDIT: Honestly even if you had no problems with Crate Times I'd figure the most "what?" is how they are splitting stuff even more with that battle scarred etc versions.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 24, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Honestly even if you had no problems with Crate Times I'd figure the most "what?" is how they are splitting stuff even more with that battle scarred etc versions.

They do this because it creates an intrinsic concrete value scale to go along with the transformative nature of the market at large. It's how they force cemented market value without making all skins have a rarity scale (only the rarest ones are weighted). Without this system in place, they can only control the prices of the highest-rarity items, but with three sub-tiers in the "normal" rarity range, that can now be controlled too. If you get a battle scarred dragon penis colored pistol, it will always, guaranteed, be worth less than a pristine one. But if you get a hyper-rarity gold pistol, it will always, guaranteed, be worth more than even a pristine dragon dick pew pew gun.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Kikas posted:

UhHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Goddamnit. I get the cosmetics. I get that this was gonna be a thing since the game started and I am okay with it. -ish And reading the whole FAQ fills me with hope.

The idea is to create distinct tiers of rare-ness within the - otherwise identical - drops. If you combine this with a real money investment into the gambling (crate opening) process, you can very precisely set the prices for various tiers because you set the drop probabilities.

also you get to gently caress over ocd/gamblers/ocd gamblers in the process

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 24, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Down with capitalism!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I need to turn everything the gently caress down so my clunker can even hope to scrape 60

excited to see all of these low detail hats/have my performance shot in the knee

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Get a new computer.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Down with capitalism!

VOTE BERNIE!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Get a new computer.

drat i wish i had thought of that one........

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

drat i wish i had thought of that one........

Honestly, this is a good time of year for it if you can spare the dosh.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I am looking forward to getting free item drops to sell off to subsidize my gaming habit.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I look forward to hearing enraged nerds complain about occasionally seeing slightly different colored guns. Also this:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I really loving hate the crate system. Make a nice skin, slap a price tags on it and I'll buy it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I look forward to hearing enraged nerds defend anything like it's impossible for any company to make a bad decision.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Skoll posted:

Honestly, this is a good time of year for it if you can spare the dosh.

would if I could

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I love microtransactions just for the sheer amount of rage they generate from hardcore gamers. The simultaneous aneurysms places like 4chan, Reddit, and Facepunch are getting over this update in their KF2 topics is goddamn beautiful. :allears:

Game industry, please add more microtransactions to games so I can drink the tears from gamers' impotent rage. Please.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
4chan is pretty upset about this, a guy said "why does everything I love turn to poo poo" and while I do think this sucks, it's not that bad. At least, it's not game-ruiningly bad. I mostly play singleplayer anyway so really it's just free steambux with the USB stick thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How about they finish the loving game before adding micro transactions.

Get me some cool outfits for my character of choice and you can have all my money but stuff like this just rubs me the wrong way when the game is still in EA.