Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Pivo posted:

I already have a small scratch on my 6S and it arrived on day 1. You can't see it unless you look for it though.

Like three years down, people don't care so much. I wonder how much this 1200 CAD phone is going to be worth in 3 years anyway.

I mean I know its a rhetorical question but your answer is around $300. Pretty good return if you can keep it in good condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

I mean I know its a rhetorical question but your answer is around $300. Pretty good return if you can keep it in good condition.

I sold my 5 for $225 when the 6S arrived and I could have gotten more, that was just a random number I threw out. It worked fine, but was totally busted up - non OEM battery, dents on every edge, scratches on the screen. I told her about all of this, threw out 225 and she immediately said yes. Could have gone higher, but she was nice. Some young actress (her portfolio was in her email signature).

If my piece of poo poo 5 can go for 225, I'll believe you 300 is a reasonable number. But this thing is so slippery it's probably going to get quite a beating too, and I refuse to get a case.

Mudoubleha
May 20, 2001
I have no title and I must scream.

xzzy posted:

But that's not how it works. Shock is shock and sandwiching more glass onto a sheet of glass isn't going to do anything.

If you want to save screen shatters, you need an enormous bumper case with big soft edges.

What I'm saying is that the glass screen would take the hit, thus saving my actual phone screen from scratches. Replacing the glass protector is just $10 for me.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I have no scratches on my phone and I use it just like everyone else, so I dunno what you fucknugs are doin

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

I have no scratches on my phone and I use it just like everyone else, so I dunno what you fucknugs are doin

You know when you're drunk and you accidentally put your phone in the same pocket as your keys and then you get too friendly with a wall?

Pretty much stuff like that. I don't know how the scratches appear, but they do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't get so drunk you can't take care of your things then? I don't know, it might work.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

Don't get so drunk you can't take care of your things then? I don't know, it might work.

They always say youth is wasted on the young. I spent my youth being wasted. I think I did OK.

You're right, it might work.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I get wasted and still have enough presence of my own mind to not destroy my possessions. It owns.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I live somewhere where sand is everywhere. Still no scratches.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pivo posted:

You know when you're drunk and you accidentally put your phone in the same pocket as your keys and then you get too friendly with a wall?

Pretty much stuff like that. I don't know how the scratches appear, but they do.

I don't think I've ever been drunk enough to mix my keys and phone before grindfucking a wall with them before. Most people black out before poo poo gets that weird.

Although screen protectors in TYOOL2015 are even weirder.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
When I worked at the Genius Bar and a customer complained about losing their screen protectors when I had to swap a phone, I would take keys or my multitool to the bare glass of the old phone and literally nothing would happen. I wasn't gentle about it either. I don't know how you goons are managing to scratch your glass.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you put an iPhone in your pocket with keys yes you can cause some light scratching.

I know you took a drill press to it and nothing happened but that's just the breaks. This conversation happens every two months. Use a screen protector if resale is a concern to you or if it will give you peace of mind.

If you disagree, don't, and we'll still all live through it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Don’t be dumb, guys. Yes the glass is difficult to scratch. On the other hand, the oleophobic coating can be scratched by a sharp fingernail. Proof is in a 3-pronged scratch my cat left on my 5s by standing on it and then jumping off of it.

The scratch became less apparent over time as the coating wore off around the scratch, but when I sold the phone I had to mention the scratches, which were still visible at certain angles in strong light

Now I have a $0 (yes, free) tempered glass protector on my 6s+. It was not hard to apply, not expensive, and looks and feels fine. It has an oleophobic coating too, and there’s already a 3-inch long scratch on it from who knows where.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I used to be all over cases and screen protectors when I worked in the field and was getting dirty all the time. I got a cozy office job now so I stopped giving a poo poo.

Naked iPhone crew :c00l:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

What if my iPhone has a case but I'm naked?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

What if my iPhone has a case but I'm naked?

eh the 6s have rounded edges for a reason pal

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

xzzy posted:

But that's not how it works. Shock is shock and sandwiching more glass onto a sheet of glass isn't going to do anything.

If you want to save screen shatters, you need an enormous bumper case with big soft edges.

In theory, since the bond between the protector and the screen isn't perfectly incompressible, the protector is supposed to absorb the impact when you drop your screen on something pointy, like if you dropped it face down on gravel or something. By absorbing the impact, it reduces the velocity of the phone, and by shattering, a lot of the impact energy is transmitted outwards instead of into the screen behind. Since the protector isn't perfectly coupled to the screen, all this should happen before the screen absorbs enough energy to shatter too.

but i've never used one. youre supposed to toss it if it breaks and buy a new one, simultaneously giving a finger to the earth with one hand and a handjob to tim cook with the other

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Just get some brown leather for those 5.5 inches

Depths fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 24, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BGrifter posted:

I don't think I've ever been drunk enough to mix my keys and phone before grindfucking a wall with them before. Most people black out before poo poo gets that weird.

To be honest it was just a hypothetical example. I have no idea how my phone got scratched.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
There have been enough posts by normal people who get scratches to prove that it does happen. Everyone is entitled to their opinion or stance, but I have to say...I feel like the "I never got a scratch." people are just useless white noise. What, exactly, is the takeaway?

You haven't scratched your phone... Yet.

You haven't scratched your phone and you're lucky.

[Ed]

The Dave posted:

If you put an iPhone in your pocket with keys yes you can cause some light scratching.

I know you took a drill press to it and nothing happened but that's just the breaks. This conversation happens every two months. Use a screen protector if resale is a concern to you or if it will give you peace of mind.

If you disagree, don't, and we'll still all live through it.

All that ever needs to be said...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 24, 2015

Violator
May 15, 2003

Does anyone know how to download an iCloud backup?

I've run into a problem where I can't restore a 6s iCloud backup to my 6s. It just hangs on a white screen while restoring, and when you hard reset all of my health data, calls, messages, shared photo albums, etc. are missing and a bunch of apps don't work. I'm seeing a bunch of threads about this on Apple's site, and this site:

https://imazing.com/blog/how-to-fix-ios-9-stuck-on-apple-logo-after-restoring-a-backup

Says that it's a problem with the plist files in the backup. Apparently you can delete those from the backup and restore all of your actual data and then just fix your preferences. But I don't have an iTunes backup handy since I paid for the stupid iCloud space and do all of my backing up there. >:( So I need to download an iCloud backup, delete the plist files, and then restore from that. But I don't feel comfortable typing my iCloud credentials into some random website, so I'm wondering if anyone has used iPhone Backup Extractor or something? But even that's $69. :(

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Feenix posted:

I feel like the "I never got a scratch." people are just useless white noise. What, exactly, is the takeaway?

Useless white noise, eh? I've owned cellphones since the Motorola shoulder bag days and I have never scratched a single screen ever, including dropping quite a few uncased on sidewalks and streets. This includes MANY blackout drunk nights all over NYC and not even knowing how I got home at 4:00AM or who paid my bar tab.

So what's the takeaway? You figure it out, champ.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

bobfather posted:

Don’t be dumb, guys. Yes the glass is difficult to scratch. On the other hand, the oleophobic coating can be scratched by a sharp fingernail. Proof is in a 3-pronged scratch my cat left on my 5s by standing on it and then jumping off of it.

The scratch became less apparent over time as the coating wore off around the scratch, but when I sold the phone I had to mention the scratches, which were still visible at certain angles in strong light

Now I have a $0 (yes, free) tempered glass protector on my 6s+. It was not hard to apply, not expensive, and looks and feels fine. It has an oleophobic coating too, and there’s already a 3-inch long scratch on it from who knows where.

Don't own cats or screen protectors. Problem solved.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

People arguing from the POV that it's seemingly impossible to scratch the screen are some very weird people. Of course it's possible, it's just not particularly likely that something hard enough hits the screen with enough force to do so.
However seemingly random things can gently caress a screen like it's plastic; certain ~artsy~ kitchen work-surfaces have a component in them hard enough to do it, and there's plenty of flooring where a light drop, insufficient to break the screen, will cause deep scratches to a phone sliding over it, from having hardened grip coverings.

The better tempered ones are also very smooth and coated, so you can basically re-buy that brand-new feeling for under $10 every once in a while.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just wish that screen protectors and cases would get their own thread. It's always the worst derail this thread gets every other day.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I actually agree!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

IUG posted:

I just wish that screen protectors and cases would get their own thread. It's always the worst derail this thread gets every other day.
How will I ever find out which screen protector has the best weather widget?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
It's Dashlane.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

EL BROMANCE posted:

Which one are you using? I have MotionX-GPS which seems pretty decent. Still annoys me I have Nikons top of the line crop camera, and it's not a standard feature. Paying additional for it is annoying but I don't want things sticking out of my camera unnecessarily. The logs work fine with MotionX so it'll do, but I only use it sporadically whereas if it was inbuilt it'd be on constantly.

GPS4CAM. Yeah, that's also crappy that Nikon's DSLRs don't have that built-in, I mean you can get a GPS-on-a-chip now with all the features like GPS+GLONAS.

Also my pants pockets are generally just about right, but I want to be careful if I am riding in a car or on the RTA that it doesn't slip out. I need a more friction-Y case. I am also in almost constant fear of being stabbed and having my iPhone taken, so I almost never have it visible in Cleveland. :tinfoil:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

IUG posted:

I feel like there used to be an iPhone accessories thread.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Ok goons just tell me what 6s case actually covers the phone properly. I got a cheap temporary one and it doesn't cover the top or bottom.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dugong posted:

Ok goons just tell me what 6s case actually covers the phone properly. I got a cheap temporary one and it doesn't cover the top or bottom.

Apple Leather

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Croc Monster posted:

Useless white noise, eh? I've owned cellphones since the Motorola shoulder bag days and I have never scratched a single screen ever, including dropping quite a few uncased on sidewalks and streets. This includes MANY blackout drunk nights all over NYC and not even knowing how I got home at 4:00AM or who paid my bar tab.

So what's the takeaway? You figure it out, champ.

You haven't disproven my point. Lots of people don't scratch phones. But lots of regular rear end non-diamond-mine-worker people do. Hell I haven't had a screen on my last 3 phones. No scratches, until I got one of my 6S+ I've had for nary 2 months.
Never been dropped, never gone to the beach, or even a sandbox playground. Never got drunk and humped a wall with car keys and a phone in my pocket.

Saying "I never got a scratch on my phone's screen." has about as much usefulness here as those Answers on Amazon product pages where the answer to a question is "I don't know."

It doesn't need to be said.

Unless you're just being a snarky sick about it, in which case I guess carry on! :)

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
There's some value in reporting no scratches. Otherwise anyone new reading the thread will only see reports of scratching and assume it's a problem for everyone. It's the negative review problem.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

beefnoodle posted:

There's some value in reporting no scratches. Otherwise anyone new reading the thread will only see reports of scratching and assume it's a problem for everyone. It's the negative review problem.

I'm not so sure I agree but I'm also not so sure you don't have a good point. Still I'll just go ahead and retroactively amend my stance to focus on those folks who state such in a manner to infer that folks who get scratches are somehow clumsy beach hobos. :)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I feel like there used to be an iPhone accessories thread.

Is it advisable to make a thread, and then abandon it after making the OP?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Feenix posted:

I'm not so sure I agree but I'm also not so sure you don't have a good point.

People who have had a bad experience are more likely to mention it than those who have had a positive one. If only people who had scratch issues posted, it sounds like there's a pandemic problem with the phone screen being easily scratched when there isn't. I've had iPhones non-stop since the 3GS and have never scratched or cracked the screen personally, but every phone since the 4S I've owned has had a small case around it as drops and knocks have been an issue for me. It's a shame though, it's so much nicer without it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't think it's a "scratch issue", I think the meaning is that no matter how Gorrila the glass is, it will still find a way to get scratched if you're out and about and doing things.

My drunk escapades were just a joke. I do get wasted sometimes but not run into walls and never put my phone with my keys. Somehow though the drat thing picks up scratches over time. Still, over 3 years my 5 only had tiny little scratches that were invisible when the screen was on. They were still there though.

Not blaming the phone at all. poo poo happens. I ride public transit every day and you should see some people's phones! It's like it was in an episode of "Will it blend?" that was cut short.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don't own cats or screen protectors. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

IUG posted:

Is it advisable to make a thread, and then abandon it after making the OP?

There already is one http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536751