Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

So I posted a long time about my desert kingsnake not eating. I got her in June after she got clipped by a car, had her force fed by a vet in October (she got a clean bill of health including blood work at the same time) and she still isnt eating. I've tried thawed pinkies, live pinkies, live anoles, pre-killed anoles, pinkies rubbed on anoles, tuna-fish soaked pinkies, and brained pinkies.

....Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
At this point I think my BTS, Buttercup, spends more time sleeping in my bed than s/he does in its giant 4x2x1 enclosure. If I'm in my room and he gets up, he'll start clawing at the glass until I let him out to explore my room or bed. Usually bed just so I don't have to worry about wheeling over him with my chair.

He then takes a nap under blankets and eventually migrates to sleeping under pillows. Has been there basically all day. I took a nap at one point and he moved to sleep against my leg to keep toasty. Currently exploring for a warm spot to sleep near my feet. Will put him away eventually. I hate to have favorites, but he is easily the favorite of my ever growing brood of Herps.

Dog is even interested in him, but I can't quite tell how much. I watch her closely when they're together because she does try to get nippy with him. I tried to get her a bit less interested in Buttercup by letting her meet my still very much pissy Ball Python who will strike.

Sadly getting struck on the nose only made her afraid of the snake instead of all the Herps.

They're amazing starter Herps, but due to small clutch sizes, limited breeders and for the Australian breeds no way to import the morphs they're pretty rare and drives up the cost. I don't know much about the Indonesian species, but the Australian's will set you back at least $200 before stuff like colors and probably shipping. Combine that with the cost of an enclosure of the right size being 200-300 unless you diy or Rubbermaid them, you end up with something way more expensive than someone just getting into the hobby wants to spend.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 12, 2015

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks for the reassurances! New parent syndrome, indeed. I'll prioritize the purchase of a digital food scale.

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER

Guava posted:

Silly question maybe, but do some hognose like to climb? Mine doesn't have anything much to climb on in her tank right now, but I see a lot of this (linked because the mobile app won't let me post images right now): x
x

I would love to provide her with a branch (or whatever anyone suggests) if people think she might use it. The only reason she doesn't have that type of cage furniture is that every herp person I've ever known says hognose don't climb ever ever ever. But this is climbing, no?

My hog climbs all the time, when he's not busy burrowing in his copious amounts of substrate. Mainly he can be found wrapped around the towers of his castle hide, on top of his log or tp roll, or upside-down, wedged into the little space between the locking lid and the rest of his cage. Or just...trying to climb the walls.

I too thought this was weird for a burrowing snake and consulted the internet, but it just seems like a thing some hogs will do. He also enjoys climbing up to my head and the back of the couch, and will climb out of his cage on his own when I prompt him to come out, so, who knows what's up in their tiny brains. I've since given him a ladder.

Pictured: the common arboreal hognose.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Love's made a fool out of Bear.

A Scary Little Dog posted:

My hog climbs all the time, when he's not busy burrowing in his copious amounts of substrate. Mainly he can be found wrapped around the towers of his castle hide, on top of his log or tp roll, or upside-down, wedged into the little space between the locking lid and the rest of his cage. Or just...trying to climb the walls.

I too thought this was weird for a burrowing snake and consulted the internet, but it just seems like a thing some hogs will do. He also enjoys climbing up to my head and the back of the couch, and will climb out of his cage on his own when I prompt him to come out, so, who knows what's up in their tiny brains. I've since given him a ladder.

Pictured: the common arboreal hognose.

Thanks for the reply; I should have known not to trust the conventional hognose wisdom with her since she's also the best eater of any herp I've owned (she'll literally eat out of my hand or grab a mouse while I'm holding her). Looks like baby's getting a branch! ...and some clamps for her lid.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

All you people with hognoses are making me seriously excited to pick my partner's hoggie up when we go to her Mum's at Christmas. Had her ring us up because he's being a little poo poo re: feeding but I'm pretty psyched to have such a cool, derpy looking snake hanging round. Think he's fairly old too.

Baby corn shed for the first time since we got him today, all in one piece and he's got darker red spots now (is amelanistic) and looks adorable and I wish I'd called him milkshake.

Aaaaaand the Mountain Horned Dragon (dubbed Barack Agama) has really perked up since we got him a new bubbler and a bigger water thing. See a lot more of him and he seems inquisitive, dunno what it was about the waterfall plant he didn't like but I'm glad it's gone to be honest, pain in the arse. He was attacking the front of the tank but I turned off the fairy light/twig ensemble and he seems fine. Very vicious, but fine. Anyone else in here got one? They don't seem too common and although we went into the pet shop with a good idea of how to care for them, they told us he was tame which we discovered was a huge huge lie roughly five seconds after we got him home. Not bothered that we can't really handle him, he's cool to look at, just wondered if anyone else has a evil one or we just got unlucky. He'll run up your arm and sit on your head while you're cleaning his tank but other than that he prefers to be left alone and I'm cool with that.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

happyflurple posted:

All you people with hognoses are making me seriously excited to pick my partner's hoggie up when we go to her Mum's at Christmas

All you people with Hognoses make me jealous. Stupid Illinois law. I technically have to either find someone with a permit to sell me one or go out of state to buy it. The legal ways to get one anyway. One seller at Tinley Park told me to just get someone from out of state to buy it for me cuz how the hell will wildlife ever know I got it.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

Cless Alvein posted:

All you people with Hognoses make me jealous. Stupid Illinois law. I technically have to either find someone with a permit to sell me one or go out of state to buy it. The legal ways to get one anyway. One seller at Tinley Park told me to just get someone from out of state to buy it for me cuz how the hell will wildlife ever know I got it.

I feel your pain. I really wanted to get another ball when i lived in NYC, but all pythons and boas are outlawed there. And I couldn't just say "how the gently caress would they know" because I lived in NPS housing and the Natural Resources division was always having to come in there to deal with raccoons or garter snakes or what have you.

Then again, that law was what made me first start looking seriously into colubrids and get my first king, and the hognose followed.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
New leopard ball python and she's a handful. Around 7 months old.

Got her 3 weeks ago, has had 3 pinky rats and today I scoped her out of the enclosure for a short handling session.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Guava posted:

I feel your pain. I really wanted to get another ball when i lived in NYC, but all pythons and boas are outlawed there. And I couldn't just say "how the gently caress would they know" because I lived in NPS housing and the Natural Resources division was always having to come in there to deal with raccoons or garter snakes or what have you.

Then again, that law was what made me first start looking seriously into colubrids and get my first king, and the hognose followed.

They're not illegal persay here. It's just they're a native species that is protected because even though Western Hognoses are common as poo poo, they're endangered in Illinois.

So there are hoops to jump through to get a permit myself. I have to either buy one from somebody who has a permit to breed( which for some reason is limited to scientific stuff), maybe someone who has a license to own sells me theirs, or it looks like I can go out of state, buy it, bring it back in and get a permit that way. So since I'm within 2 hours of Milwaukee and the Indiana border, maybe I'll look for a show in one of those states to get one.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Looks like you're waiting for the next one of these, since you just missed the last:
http://www.sewerfest.com/

Buddy of mine works in an indie pet store a little outside of Milwaukee, really enjoys these shows. I haven't been.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Another shot of Ophis!

Brought her(?) out for more cuddles last night. She's gone from being really skittish about being out of the habitat to wanting to cuddle all the people and explore all the things. Spent something like ten minutes last night peering down at the baby and then rising up out of reach whenever he tried to touch her. :kimchi:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I suck because at the Phoenix Herp Show, I picked up a baby pair of western hognose snakes. Oddly enough the male ate the day I brought him home. The female has refused so far. The seller is a local guy and said he fed them frozen where all I have is live. Hm. Think that matters to the snake?

Um. When you say baby, do you mean a real human baby? Because that probably is not the safest thing ever. Even my ball Alien, that I've had for 15 years and is relatively tame, can get surprised by a sudden warm-sensed motion and strike. When it's at an adult hand, probably not a huge deal, but on a baby?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

It's almost sexy time here for my carpets again. I'm pairing my yellow gal from Covergirl lines to a Palmerston line male with lineage from Europe.
Mom:

Here's hopeful daddy Yancy.

I still have many of last year's JCP babies. They are getting big, not less feisty, but a lot cleaner as they prepare to turn yellow (or not).

This is fun.

There was a goon earlier in the thread wondering if they could handle a carpet. If that's you, or even not, I have a couple babies I'd be willing to gift to goons. PM me if you want a bitey gift! :3:offer not valid in Hawaii. Also, sorry, Tennesee!

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
So after a few weeks, I think I have William Snakespeare's tank about how I want it.

I think he likes it. This is probably about a half-minute before he found an optimal burrowing angle.

My one concern is his eye. His left eye seems to be a little "popped", more forward out of the skull than the right.

I don't know if this will fix itself the next time he eats, if it's harmless/common for corn snakes, or if I should take him to the vet.

He seems okay, though, not nervous or cranky.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So I broke down an picked up a rescue veiled chameleon from a local reptile group. She was found in an abandoned house along with another chameleon who was too far gone and had to be put down, and also a bearded dragon and a leopard gecko. I've got the cage set up and she's eating and seems to be settling in nicely, but I have a question about hydration for any chameleon people here. From what I've read veiled chameleons aren't as sensitive about humidity as some of the more tropical chameleon species, I bought one of these drinking fountains to provide constant access to running water, is that alone enough, or do they also need the daily misting? Most of the care sheets I've read seem to suggest the misting is only to provide them with drinking opportunities and not about keeping humidity in the cage.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Mate from work just messaged me with the website of a local Hognose breeder. I cannot see this plus my partner's pay rise going well for the space left in the spare room all of which I am now going to fill with Hognoses, obviously.

edit: also pacman frogs are dicks. Why yes I do appreciate you screeching and trying to kill me just because i'm misting you. Please do latch onto my tweezers and not let go you goofy looking ball of frog. Getting them out to clean their tanks is something I absolutely leave to my partner now because I got bitten once and gently caress that.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 23, 2015

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER
Get all of the hognoses. All of them. And take lots of pictures!

Meanwhile, Orson is still a dick and is not eating. We're in week 7 of trying different approaches.

Cute little rear end in a top hat.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are leopard geckos just complete dumbasses about shedding? Had to help both of mine with their sheds multiple times because it gets stuck on their heads and toes. They have a moist hide that they're aware of and ignore for some reason, and they go into shed so quickly that I don't have time to notice it and up their humidity. I don't mind helping them at all with stuck shed but if it's getting stuck this often then I'm doing something wrong. I've been using a little tub with a hole cut in the lid and moist coconut fibre for their humid hide, and they do go into it sometimes to chill but they never seem to go there when they're actually shedding.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Yeah mine has always been dumb about it. I gave up on the miss hide cuz she never uses it anyway. I just watch her and when she starts getting cloudy I just spray her for a few minutes. Actively seems to enjoy it instead of running away like normal. Since I started doing it this way I haven't had problems but I still check afterwards just in case.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just need to get better at spotting them going into shed I guess. They're young so they're shedding pretty often and they're sneaky!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Knormal posted:

So I broke down an picked up a rescue veiled chameleon from a local reptile group. She was found in an abandoned house along with another chameleon who was too far gone and had to be put down, and also a bearded dragon and a leopard gecko. I've got the cage set up and she's eating and seems to be settling in nicely, but I have a question about hydration for any chameleon people here. From what I've read veiled chameleons aren't as sensitive about humidity as some of the more tropical chameleon species, I bought one of these drinking fountains to provide constant access to running water, is that alone enough, or do they also need the daily misting? Most of the care sheets I've read seem to suggest the misting is only to provide them with drinking opportunities and not about keeping humidity in the cage.

A veiled may not drink from any water source, or may drink from running water. It needs lettuce or some other high-water-content greens daily to provide additional moisture. misting is mostly to help with shedding but the chameleon may leaf-lick as well. Some folks set an ice cube on top of a screened enclosure for dripping water to drink, or set up a pump-based dripper.. A screened enclosure is ideal because they need to dry out. They are native to Yemen, a desert environment, and should be housed accordingly.

The most important factor is the heat lamp. A temperature gradient is essential and must be a light (not a ceramic heater and not substrate heater) because they naturally bask in hot sunlight and orient to it visually. They also need UVB and should have arboreal climbing structure at all times. Feed dusted gutloaded crickets, as many as will be eaten in ten minutes, daily. Supplement with other insects. I always dusted my lettuce too, with vitamins and calcium. My chameleon preferred romaine.

Any live plants may be chewed, so do not put potentially-toxic plants in with a veiled.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 24, 2015

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

A veiled may not drink from any water source, or may drink from running water. It needs lettuce or some other high-water-content greens daily to provide additional moisture. misting is mostly to help with shedding but the chameleon may leaf-lick as well. Some folks set an ice cube on top of a screened enclosure for dripping water to drink, or set up a pump-based dripper.. A screened enclosure is ideal because they need to dry out. They are native to Yemen, a desert environment, and should be housed accordingly.

The most important factor is the heat lamp. A temperature gradient is essential and must be a light (not a ceramic heater and not substrate heater) because they naturally bask in hot sunlight and orient to it visually. They also need UVB and should have arboreal climbing structure at all times. Feed dusted gutloaded crickets, as many as will be eaten in ten minutes, daily. Supplement with other insects. I always dusted my lettuce too, with vitamins and calcium. My chameleon preferred romaine.

Any live plants may be chewed, so do not put potentially-toxic plants in with a veiled.
Hm, I hadn't realized greens were that big of a component of their diet, most of the stuff I read said it was just an occasional supplement. I guess I need to add another dish to the habitat. Otherwise I have all that, but thanks for the writeup. One problem I have though is the chameleon is still scared of me and refuses to eat in from of me, it makes it a big hard to monitor how much she's eating versus how many of the crickets are hopping out of the feeding dish. From when I've peeked around the corner and spied on her though she seems to have a healthy appetite.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I used to just spike a big romaine leaf on a branch and Mr. Chameleon would come tear into it whenever.

Also, a feeding dish for crickets? Hm. I can't quite picture that but ok. I used to put cricket gutload and moist paper towels on the floor of the cage and then just toss 30 or so crickets in there, and whatever he didn't eat immediately he'd get to eventually.

How big is your enclosure?

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
gently caress mites. gently caress them so hard.

No longer going to buy bedding at the local reptile store.

-disappears into a cloud of Provent-a-Mite-

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Silver Nitrate posted:

gently caress mites. gently caress them so hard.

No longer going to buy bedding at the local reptile store.

-disappears into a cloud of Provent-a-Mite-

Ouch. I gave up on pet store bedding and just buy big rear end bags of No Float Cypress Mulch that I bake off when I get a chance to just for insurance. Works great and at $3 a bag a hell of a lot cheaper.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I used to just spike a big romaine leaf on a branch and Mr. Chameleon would come tear into it whenever.

Also, a feeding dish for crickets? Hm. I can't quite picture that but ok. I used to put cricket gutload and moist paper towels on the floor of the cage and then just toss 30 or so crickets in there, and whatever he didn't eat immediately he'd get to eventually. I hadn't thought of just pinning some greens onto the screen though, that sounds a lot bigger than trying to set up some kind of shallow dish for greens.

How big is your enclosure?
I got a tall one of those semi-disposable tupperwares and hung it off the side of the cage just under a crossbar. It's tall enough that the crickets can't easily jump out, but the chameleon can lean in the top and tongue up the crickets. It seems to be working so far.

The cage is 18x18x36, which I know isn't big enough for a full-grown veiled but she's still pretty small, probably 6" snout-to-vent.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, OK yeah a juvenile. They grow fast. Mine went from a one-week-old hatchling to a full-grown adult in around six months, and it did most of that growing during the first four. Definitely provide lots of crickets, more than you might guess she'd eat, and make sure you're dusting with a quality calcium + vitamin supplement because she's building bones like crazy.

When Mr. Chameleon was around four or five months old, he'd go through 40+ half-inch crickets in a sitting, daily.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Cless Alvein posted:

Ouch. I gave up on pet store bedding and just buy big rear end bags of No Float Cypress Mulch that I bake off when I get a chance to just for insurance. Works great and at $3 a bag a hell of a lot cheaper.

I'm going to start buying my aspen bedding at the feed store and cypress at the garden store. I figure the changes of getting mites from them are much lower. With a collection my size, baking it is not really a option. This time of year I can freeze it first at least.

Right now everyone is on blank newspaper, and will be for the forseeable future. It's ugly, but it's easy to change every few days to help prevent the mites from hatching.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Spaghetti has learned how to burrow in his bark chips after I cleaned his tank this morning.

So now, not only do I have to check all his hides, I have to poke suspicious lumps to find him during the day. He is the best noodle.

Guava
Nov 10, 2009

This is a tad unpleasant but when we had Jackson's in Hawaii they were in birdcages in our lanai, so we used to break one of the crickets' legs so they couldn't jump out of the dish (and then the cage). That said, when we moved to the mainland we weren't putting them in a dish at all because they were in fully enclosed tanks, so we just put the crickets on the cage floor and the chameleons got em just fine (and if they hadn't, we would have seen the crickets everywhere). Will that not work for your situation for some reason?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah I could just let the crickets free-roam in the bottom, but the problem is since crickets are nocturnal they'd spend most of the day hiding under paper towels, then only come out when the chameleon's sleeping. Trapping them in a dish ensures more get eaten.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I found that crickets almost always climbed up the sides of the screen towards the light at the top. But yeah, I did tend to find some wedged in between the screen and the base. Mostly because my cage was a home-made affair and I stapled the screen to the frame I'd built, so there was kind of a gap for a cricket to squoosh into.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I found Greg, the Gargoyle Gecko, dead tonight. I have no real clue why either. Obviously they hide illness well, but had been eating and licking up water from misting like normal.

Did my normal nightly rounds of checking on everybody and changing food/water and found him keeled over mid shed. This is my first reptile death and it oddly isn't hitting me as hard as I thought it would since I really do love these little guys and he was my first herp. I've had him like 4 years?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Okay -- another food-related question about my crestie.

I've been putting food out for Ginger every other night, since the breeder told me that she wouldn't need more than that, but yesterday I caught her scoping out her dried-out food remnants after being fed on Saturday night. I gave her more food last night, and she ate a fair amount.

Does this signify anything important, or did she just want her fair share of Thanksgiving over-indulgence? I have no idea when she's due to shed, or if wanting more to eat is related to that. Maybe she's just a growing girl?

She's the cutest. :kimchi:

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
So, just in case anyone was wondering if Underground Reptiles was really as bad as they had heard, take this from their own website. This is a snake they photographed and thought was good enough to sell.

It's emaciated and is covered in skin lesions. :v:

It can be yours for only $49.99
https://undergroundreptiles.com/shop/african-water-snake/

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

Okay -- another food-related question about my crestie.

I've been putting food out for Ginger every other night, since the breeder told me that she wouldn't need more than that, but yesterday I caught her scoping out her dried-out food remnants after being fed on Saturday night. I gave her more food last night, and she ate a fair amount.

Does this signify anything important, or did she just want her fair share of Thanksgiving over-indulgence? I have no idea when she's due to shed, or if wanting more to eat is related to that. Maybe she's just a growing girl?

She's the cutest. :kimchi:

Cresties are little piggies and will stuff themselves into obesity. You're probably okay for now with the alternating day feeding, but I'd pull the food once it starts getting a crust.
Adults get fed less. My adult crestie gets fed once a week and is maintaining weight nicely.

Great color depth on Ginger there.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

TheNothingNew posted:

Cresties are little piggies and will stuff themselves into obesity. You're probably okay for now with the alternating day feeding, but I'd pull the food once it starts getting a crust.
Adults get fed less. My adult crestie gets fed once a week and is maintaining weight nicely.

Great color depth on Ginger there.

Thanks! I'll keep that routine in mind.

I appreciate the continued hand-holding through my new parent worries, thread. :)

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
The Herp Society rescue was surprisingly thin this month. Good job, city?

1 ball python, 1 boa constrictor, 3 corn snakes, 1 red eared slider, 1 bearded dragon, 1 leopard gecko, 1 blue tongue skink, and 2 fire belly toads.

Guess who followed me home?

He's about 14 years old, a Hamalhara T. gigas gigas and he's missing several toes from stuck shed and will probably loose a couple more, they were pretty rough under all the dead skin. Other than that he seems very healthy, is in good body condition, and is huge for an Indonesian blue tongue! And unlike Spot, who I sold to a friend because he was a raving rear end in a top hat and frightened my mother, this one is completely tame. After I cleaned his toes, he crawled onto my shoulder and camped out. He doesn't mind being pet, I can even touch his chin and the top of his head and he doesn't care one tiny bit. I am so thrilled to finally have a friendly bluey! Once his toes are resolved I'll be using him for reptile demos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Um. When you say baby, do you mean a real human baby? Because that probably is not the safest thing ever. Even my ball Alien, that I've had for 15 years and is relatively tame, can get surprised by a sudden warm-sensed motion and strike. When it's at an adult hand, probably not a huge deal, but on a baby?

Actual human baby. Well, toddler. We're not actually letting him play with the snake, or vice versa, but he'll come into the room while the snake is out, and the snake will get interested and peek down at him from whoever is holding her. He'll see the snake and reach up, she pulls back.

He's also used to being around animals and not making sudden movements around them, (although he does make sudden shrieking noises, which don't seem to bother snakeface but which the cats hate), and while the snake is not used to toddlers she's been around cats and dogs for seven years without striking at them.