Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/JoeAlton/status/669021300401172480

they are middle age white guys apparently. If no one dies i doubt it will make headlines sadly.
and apperently its either 3 or 2. who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I live in the Twin Cities, this will definitely be a turning point in race relations here. Minnesota has so much racial inequality and bullshit and we just pretend it doesn't exist. Can't do that anymore.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Lotka Volterra posted:

No one ever speculates in DnD

Does buying shares on PredictIt count?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

Twitter rumor says that the police refused to help the shot protesters, saying "this is what you get"

this is twitter rumor though

I can guarantee, without checking, that this didn't happen.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm sure you are right but it is a problem that this is a world of piss where many people can believe that happened.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Silver Nitrate posted:

I live in the Twin Cities, this will definitely be a turning point in race relations here. Minnesota has so much racial inequality and bullshit and we just pretend it doesn't exist. Can't do that anymore.

Sorry dude I doubt it'll be your chloride.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zeroisanumber posted:

well its spreading like wildfire on twitter now :(

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Silver Nitrate posted:

Oh my god those poor people :( I don't know what is going to happen now, but this will be a turning point.

Edit to add more info:

According to protesters white supremacists showed up, started causing problems. They were made to leave and people followed them to make sure they were leaving. Two people shot, one in the leg, one in the stomach. Police looking for the shooters, think they might be wearing bullet proof vests.

Oh god how will the police find them if the guys can take the bullet proof vests off? :ohdear:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm sure you are right but it is a problem that this is a world of piss where many people can believe that happened.

Yeah, after the details of the Tamir Rice shooting came out I'm ready to believe anything.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

No one knows anything and people are just retweeting whatever catches their eye. "Shots fired, some people hit," is just about all we know so far.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Here's some actual news coverage: http://www.startribune.com/several-people-were-shot-near-black-lives-matter-protest-site/353121881/

quote:

Three protesters were shot Monday night near the Black Lives Matter encampment at the 4th Precinct station in north Minneapolis.

According to Miski Noor, a media contact for Black Lives Matter, “a group of white supremacists showed up at the protest, as they have done most nights.”

When protesters attempted to herd the group away from the area, Noor said, they “opened fire on about 6 protesters,” hitting four of them. The shootings occurred near an alley about a block away from the precinct station.

Much confusion ensued, with the attackers fleeing. No arrests had been made by midnight Monday.

Three gunshot victims were taken to North Memorial Medical Center, said MPD deputy chief Medaria Arradondo at the scene.

Some Twitter accounts said those who were shot had non life-threatening injuries and were taken to hospital.

A Minneapolis police officer on the scene said that three people were shot, and that all injuries were non life-threatening.

The precise nature of the injuries has not yet been determined.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Litany Unheard posted:

No one knows anything and people are just retweeting whatever catches their eye. "Shots fired, some people hit," is just about all we know so far.

Heard it on the scanner. Police seem pretty confident as to who was doing the shooter and who got shot

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The Star Tribune has people on-site covering the protest, so if you're looking for accurate-ish information that's probably your best source.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Maybe someone threatened the white guys. WE don't know the facts

e: now it's 4 people shot

Meg From Family Guy fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 24, 2015

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Meg From Family Guy posted:

"Maybe they deserved to be roughed up"

I can see the headline now: "Shootout Erupts Between Protesters and Counter-Protesters"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Yeah why couldn't the protestors just not exist.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I guess they violated their white pride safe space, poor things :(

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Link to police scanner audio: http://www.mnpoliceclips.com/audio-minneapolis-shooting-with-multiple-victims-1123.html

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're in Duluth?! I pass through Duluth all the gently caress'n time. Where's some good places to eat in Duluth?

http://burritounion.com/

Also Fitgers and Pizza Luce, but I only vacation up there. I'm sure a local would have even better recommendations. Also I drank trough the menu at Vikre a few months ago and it was all good

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

Heard it on the scanner. Police seem pretty confident as to who was doing the shooter and who got shot

It was the black protesters fault for stopping the white supremacists from getting into the police station and starting their shifts.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Oh we know someone "threatened" the white guys. You probably feel threatened by BLM too, you gonna have your own little outburst in a minute here? Kill others?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're in Duluth?! I pass through Duluth all the gently caress'n time. Where's some good places to eat in Duluth?

http://www.sirbens.com/

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Minnesota does not appear to have a stand your ground law, so legally speaking these guys are in trouble

Jury-wise though who knows.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Yeah, after the details of the Tamir Rice shooting came out I'm ready to believe anything.

Man I've had actual cops tell me don't ever bother calling for help cause I'm against police abuse. So yeah I would totally believe cops would say this to protesters that had been shot

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Minnesota does not appear to have a stand your ground law, so legally speaking these guys are in trouble

If they turn out to be white supremacists they will be in trouble. Yeah I will say that while people in Minnesota can be racists we won't let open racists stand.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Raw_Beef posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-XIGJZMEI

Witnesses admit the protesters assaulted the guys then a mob chased them down the street before they shot in self defense.

Watch the lugenpresse spin this as though someone opened fire into the crowd.

Its 2015 smh fam.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx
It should be noted that the police union head in Minneapolis is (was?) a member of City Heat, an off duty officer's motorcycle club. This MC gained more than a little notoriety for posting photos of members with patches featuring the text "No Blacks", "I'm here for the hanging" beneath the Klan logo, and numerous swastikas and related patches.

I look forward to the media inquires to Kroll, asking for confirmation that his White Supremacist organization was not the one involved in the shooting.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Can't get the youtubes out here, but if that's true, then the protesters certainly gave the white nationalists or whatever exactly what they wanted.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

If you have to begin a statement on race with "As a white woman, I...", chances are you've already disqualified yourself.

ratbert90 posted:

The only time anybody should say the N word is in a completely historical context in a class about the history of white people being terrible to African Americans.

Or a sociology class concerning race, class, and privilege. :eng101:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 24, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They're screwed.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Bullfrog posted:

"Maybe they deserved to be roughed up"

I can see the headline now: "Shootout Erupts Between Protesters and Counter-Protesters"

Sorry I think you mean protestors and bystanders

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So is no one gunna bring up the fact that Turkish F16s shot down a Russian warplane?

I mean this thread is domestically focused sure, but this is pretty relevant. NATO extraordinary meeting is at 5 pm Brussels time.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Hollande will be pissed. He's in Washington trying to get the US and Russia to sign on to a joint plan to pulverize Daesh and then this happens.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

greatn posted:

Let me assure everyone that Korean pizza is the worst. Mayonnaise and Corn, people. Mayonnaise and Corn.

When I visited Korea a few years back, I always found it amusing that Pizza Hut there is treated as a high-end dining experience.

I am dead serious. After exchange rates, the cost of eating at a Pizza Hut is literally three times as expensive as in the U.S.; you get reserved tables with waiter service, and tablecloths with ceramic plates and everything. I'm pretty sure you can even get lobster or something ridiculous on Korean Pizza Hut pizza there. It did taste really good, though.

Can't find a good picture of the lobster pizza, but here's shrimp pizza:

Just gaze at that and marvel at the wonder that is Asian pizza.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 24, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The final verdict was 5 people shot. The family of the victim who was getting protested for in the first place wants the protests to end so nobody else will get hurt, according to the updated version of that Star-Tribune article.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

If you have to begin a statement on race with "As a white woman, I...", chances are you've already disqualified yourself.

Uh, no? Talk about racism needs to include everyone. If your statement is "As a white woman, I think I have it worse than all blacks," then sure that's wrong, but white people, black people, brown people, etc., all need to talk about the issues. In practice white people usually suck at this and get in the way, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Acelerion posted:

I hate these two slogans if for no other reason than it has allowed these dumb rear end "do black lives matter, or do all lives matter, senator?" questions from the media.

Obviously all lives matter, but people seem to need reminding that includes black lives too. And very few call out the "all lives matter" bullshit for what it really stands for, which is that black lives do, in fact, not matter quite as much.

What's really dumb about all this is that the phrase "black lives matter" is supposed to be followed with "...as much as white lives do."

That's it. That's what it is supposed to be. It is totally reasonable and just.

(Unless, of course, you're a bigoted racist who wants to keep jackboots firmly planted on the heads and mouths of minorities to keep them from complaining about oppression and inequality).

But, because of the nature of sound bytes and hashtags, that important explicit bold stated candid second half gets lopped, leaving right wing pundits and commentators to co-opt the BLM to their own interpretation, thereby taking over the mainstream narrative and running circles around the BLM movement.

Unfortunately, I don't think the BLM organizers took that possibility into account, just striking on the racial injustice impetus and protesting instead of doing additional strategic political/media/rhetorical planning and maneuvering to shield their flanks.

tl;dr: Context is a helluva drug (to manipulate discourse with).

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 24, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Basically white guys are allowed to intimidate and yell at black people, and if the black person yells back or makes any move that can be perceived as aggression, the white guy can shoot him and proooooooobably get off on self defense. If there's video evidence even better since endless defenders of truth on the internet will say "look here where the protestor's foot is moving forward and he raises his shoulders in an aggressive stance". Etc

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Iron Rose posted:

So is no one gunna bring up the fact that Turkish F16s shot down a Russian warplane?

I mean this thread is domestically focused sure, but this is pretty relevant. NATO extraordinary meeting is at 5 pm Brussels time.

This is quite bad. Those radar records sure as hell better show that the jet was over Turkey or it is going to be even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

Shifty Pony posted:

This is quite bad. Those radar records sure as hell better show that the jet was over Turkey or it is going to be even worse.

Russia trying to redraw the borders of other countries to fit their desires? Now I've seen everything.

• Locked thread