Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
He's not doing a very good job honestly but the people that are throwing a tantrum over this are even more pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The replies to this are some kid-theft-not-motivating-voiceacting-ruins-my-roleplay levels of precious. :allears: indeed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can see responding to the guys who are just being huge nerds, but some of them are just straight up trolls and he responds to them anyways.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I have a fortress and high ordnance now. Why are people saying the Minutemen suck again?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
is there a power armor paint scheme for beating the game with the railroad

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Deified Data posted:

I have a fortress and high ordnance now. Why are people saying the Minutemen suck again?

I haven't figured out how to use the fire support effectively myself. You can't throw the marker very far because it stops and falls straight down after a certain distance, it'll alert enemies so they probably won't stay still in the kill zone, and the shells landing breaks stealth and causes them to zero in on you. Not to mention it's a pain in the rear end setting things up at every settlement, need to assign a settler and I've been pretty much ignoring the settlements outside of a couple so the majority are somewhere between 0-2 population (and one of them is stuck on supply lines).

The BoS gimmick at least lets me get back to a base while overloaded with junk. :v:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Propaganda Hour posted:

You get a white skin for the X-01 that gives you +1 INT if you paint your whole suit. It looks cool, but it's a completely forgettable reward.

And the reward for beating it with the brotherhood is something other than the brotherhood paint scheme? Because honestly if it's just a regular item you can probably add those in with console commands, I don't know if you can add paint options.

Meanwhile, in the halls of justice!

I'm trying to find a magazine that doesn't seem to exist and this happens.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hey, those of us stuck with the PS4 version (don't judge, they don't have this game for OSX yet) can't use console commands.

The Brotherhood armor is pretty sweet but you can't paint it with Minuteman colors. Heh.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sankis posted:

That is great.

The pre-war jet thing is a dumb mistake (or retcon) by Bethesda but it's so unimportant I don't know why anyone cares. It's even more dumb when you realize those entries on the terminal are probably written by the raider drug dealer and aren't even pre-war. Hell, even Fallout 2 contradicted itself about Jet a couple times.

It's definitely pre-war. The other logs and timeframe on them are from when they were creating the vault before the bombs dropped, so if anything it might be that Vault Tec created it on the down low to distribute in the Vault to cause all the issues. BAM retcon works if you really care that much about it.

There's also a side story in the same terminal where the writer talks about how he misses a coworker of his and is getting worried since she hasn't come into work for a while. On another terminal, possibly the director's, he talks about how she spilled coffee on him and they laughed about it. The next line is "If she does it again I'll stab her in the loving throat with a pen." Down in the basement, hidden behind some boxes, you find a Vault-Tec employee skeleton with a pen beside it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Has anyone here messed around much with Lone Wanderer? Thinking of playing a stealthy character and anyone who's with me inevitably screws up my stealth, even if I tell them to stay put.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
People look at Fallout 2 with rose colored glasses. It was a good game, but god it was up its own rear end with the easter eggs and in jokes. Saying something in FO3, NV or 4 is illegitimate beacuse of Fallout 2 cannon is stupid.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Once you get Danse as a companion does his power armor need cores to work or is it still infinite like when you did missions with him?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Once you get Danse as a companion does his power armor need cores to work or is it still infinite like when you did missions with him?
You only use cores when you're he one wearing a power armor, everyone else rides for free

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Legs Benedict posted:

is there a power armor paint scheme for beating the game with the railroad

I've got a railroad paint scheme for the T-51. Not sure when I got it. Definitely before finishing the game, but I did side with the railroad the whole way through. It's pure black and increases perception.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Do you keep paintjobs even if the faction in question hates you and you wipe them out?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Vargs posted:

I've got a railroad paint scheme for the T-51. Not sure when I got it. Definitely before finishing the game, but I did side with the railroad the whole way through. It's pure black and increases perception.

thanks dude

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
First result on Google, you lazy fucks

quote:

How to get different paint schemes

Complete the quest: “When Freedom Calls” in The Minutemen to unlock a Minutemen paint scheme for T-45 Power Armor.
Complete the quest: Tradecraft to unlock a Railroad paint scheme for T-51 Power Armor.
Complete the quest: Atom Cats to unlock an Atom Cats paint scheme for T-60 Power Armor.
Complete the Brotherhood of Steel Quest: Shadow of Steel to unlock a BOS paint scheme for T-60 Power Armor.
Complete the quest: Nuclear Family in The Institute to unlock an Institute paint scheme for X-01 Power Armor.
Collect Hot Rodder Magazines to unlock Red color for Power Armor
Hot Rod magazines, get your shark paint here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc349cA_oUk

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 24, 2015

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Nitrox posted:

yeah but this way i got to say thanks to my e-pals. why you gotta be so mean

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nitrox posted:

I've tried googling poo poo and it hasn't actually turned up any results beyond the same things you've quoted meanwhile there are like four or five different BoS paints that apparently no one knows how to get since the only link google directs me to is the wiki for the T-60.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nuebot posted:

I've tried googling poo poo and it hasn't actually turned up any results beyond the same things you've quoted meanwhile there are like four or five different BoS paints that apparently no one knows how to get since the only link google directs me to is the wiki for the T-60.
Because it does not exist. Outside of Nexus

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nitrox posted:

It does exist. Maxson has his own special power armor too, according to the console.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I forgot to remove the fusion core from my power armor and one of my settlers got in it because he saw a radscorpion, now the helmet is gone. Where can I find it again?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Please understand that nerds on the internet must defend the legacy of Myron, the character they can relate to the most.

:thurman:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Maxson actually shows up in the very last minute or two of the quest where you take down the Prydwen if you allied with the Institute in his custom armour though? It's from the North so it's easy to miss but I was camping on the car park sniping when he showed up and started lobbing grenades up at me.

At the very least it has a custom paintjob of some kind.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sandweed posted:

I forgot to remove the fusion core from my power armor and one of my settlers got in it because he saw a radscorpion, now the helmet is gone. Where can I find it again?

It might have been broken, in which case it should have been placed in that settlers inventory.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
So I made sure I shot everyone in Covenant in the torso so as to not have any brains or severed limbs mucking up my new home. That's a perfectly normal thing to do, right?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

FuriousGeorge posted:

So I made sure I shot everyone in Covenant in the torso so as to not have any brains or severed limbs mucking up my new home. That's a perfectly normal thing to do, right?

Yes. I actually had to revive them because I got tired of their splattered corpses just mucking up the joint. Then because it looked weird I made everyone else naked. so now I just have this weird fenced in underwear only nudist colony.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I finally get a defense mission for the Castle, and all the attackers spawned inside, behind all the main defenses. What's the loving point :smith:

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Zodium posted:

I finally get a defense mission for the Castle, and all the attackers spawned inside, behind all the main defenses. What's the loving point :smith:

bad game being bad

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Zodium posted:

This happens to basically all of the settlements, the only time I ever had an attack not just spawn inside the settlement behind the defensive line was earlier today when a group of feral ghouls bugged out and just stood there on the path down from vault 111 with half of them glitched into the mountain so I had to turn on noclip to kill them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If anyone is looking for an unique place to build a base, there is a really neat waterfront location down south called Egret Tours Marina. Haven't seen many pictures posted of it so far.

You might have to convince the current inhabitant there to let you use it first, though.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
^^^Thanks for the tip!

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Maxson actually shows up in the very last minute or two of the quest where you take down the Prydwen if you allied with the Institute in his custom armour though? It's from the North so it's easy to miss but I was camping on the car park sniping when he showed up and started lobbing grenades up at me.

At the very least it has a custom paintjob of some kind.
I'm sure it's all in the game, but I mean, is it player-usable? I'm glad he's wearing it, but there are many things in the game that exist, but not currently attainable. Worrying about it right now is kind silly, when there are million power armor mods in the making.

Also, I've responded to an settlement under attack alert earlier, people running around, guns blazing etc. Then it got quiet, with only 1 single corpse on the ground. It's one of my settlers and she's full of robot parts... Was she just found out and executed for it? This is not how I run the join, goddammit.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 24, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So does anyone know how to make

That glow stop? Sometimes when I check the menu the glow is gone and replaced with a really functional outline and I'm sure either one of them's a glitch or it's a toggle I can't quite figure out.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nuebot posted:

This happens to basically all of the settlements, the only time I ever had an attack not just spawn inside the settlement behind the defensive line was earlier today when a group of feral ghouls bugged out and just stood there on the path down from vault 111 with half of them glitched into the mountain so I had to turn on noclip to kill them.

Except for the very small settlements like Tenpines, the attacks are usually well-behaved for me. Some of the settlements are super fun to defend, like Hangman's Alley and Jamaica whatever, where they spawn just right. I guess I must've blocked the spawn point here somehow.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Is unpowered armor going to get a buff? Because unpowered armor needs a buff.

Like, I get the point of power armor is to feel like a total badass and tear through the wastes but I'm kind of tired stomping around killing everything with almost no danger unless I run into like 15 super mutants with fat men and miniguns or assault the brotherhood of steel (since I'm running melee with a stunning super sledge).

But running around in regular armor past level 30 I might as well be naked. I looked up the figures compared to New Vegas and regular combat armor had a DT of 15 (mark II armor with 20) whereas remnants power armor had a DT of 28. But in FO4 a regular combat armor chest piece has a ballistic and energy resistance of 15 compared to the T-45a torso piece which has 200 and 130 respectively. Even with a polymer-modded heavy combat armor chest piece (which requires perks I may or may not have) it's only 42/42. So it's like, in NV the strongest unpowered armor was more than 3/4 as good as the best power armor while in FO4 some of the best (and modded) unpowered armor is 1/5 as good as the weakest power armor, unless there's some sort of amazing hidden/end-game regular armor I haven't found yet.

Also throwing my hat into the "Institute storyline being bad" camp. I found it particularly hilarious that your son is all "Kellogg was a violent psychopath, it's a good thing you killed him... now you get to take his place, go kill these people, kidnap these synths, raid these camps, and destroy these factions. By the way you get to be the next leader."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Bringing back up the possibilities of a Return to DC DLC, its funny that both Lyons die so quickly and there's no word about what happened to The Lone Wanderer. Unless this is a very subtle way to keep the original ending of the game where James' kid died at the purifier, how the gently caress would anyone get to either of them with a former God of Death roaming around?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrox posted:

^^^Thanks for the tip!

I'm sure it's all in the game, but I mean, is it player-usable? I'm glad he's wearing it, but there are many things in the game that exist, but not currently attainable. Worrying about it right now is kind silly, when there are million power armor mods in the making.

Also, I've responded to an settlement under attack alert earlier, people running around, guns blazing etc. Then it got quiet, with only 1 single corpse on the ground. It's one of my settlers and she's full of robot parts... Was she just found out and executed for it? This is not how I run the join, goddammit.

I'll check real quick in my game file where I nuked the Brotherhood if I can go back and loot his body in the crater that used to be the airport. I do know that his coat is fully functional and wearable if you can grab a copy of it (I think you can straight up just murder him for it) so maybe the powerarmour is the same.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

I'll check real quick in my game file where I nuked the Brotherhood if I can go back and loot his body in the crater that used to be the airport. I do know that his coat is fully functional and wearable if you can grab a copy of it (I think you can straight up just murder him for it) so maybe the powerarmour is the same.

he has a unique laser gatling gun as well. his power armor is very good.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Eh, the jet thing's kind of silly. It's not like that's the absolute most obscure trivia in the game world--jet's an important part of FO2. It's a character's entire backstory, has several associated quests and locations, it's a major part of the setting in the first several locations you visit, etc. Obviously it doesn't ruin FO4 or anything but it also wouldn't hurt the game if the writers kept a little more closely to the source.

I beat the game earlier and enjoyed it. Good gameplay, the shooting was improved immensely from FO3/NV. The downtown areas were done really well, a huge step up from DC in FO3, and there were a lot of cool setpiece dungeons.

Base building's pretty cool, though it could still be improved quite a bit (like some kind of interface for managing your settlers, or clearing up the bugs with item placement, or being able to sweep the goddamn floors). Some of the settlements like Covenant can't really be used without messing around with the console first, which I hope they fix in a patch.

Gun and armor modding was also a nice addition, though as others have mentioned the armor system isn't as clear or coherent as it could be. It'd also be nice if it was clearer how certain mods affected the AP use of a gun.

The story was as good as I expected it to be after FO3 (so, not very). It seems like they tried to follow NV with major factions vying for control, but didn't succeed at all in creating compelling factions or giving any subtlety to the factions' behavior--the factions all have some extreme good side with some extreme bad side and don't have much nuance.

The dialogue wheel was, really, pretty awful. I think it can work well in games where the main character is a well-defined character with a limited subset of plausible actions (e.g., The Witcher 3 or Alpha Protocol, as others have been bringing up), but it really doesn't work in games where the protagonist's supposed to be a blank slate, and even less so here where they abbreviated options to only two or three words. It also wasn't handled consistently in the game--sometimes a question is just a question that'll bring you back to the current tree, sometimes it's a response. Sometimes you can ask all the questions you need to, sometimes you just get the one, and sometimes you get one but can ask the rest if you talk to the person again.

The moment that stands out for me here is confronting Kellogg (especially compared to confronting Benny in NV). At a big, defining moment for the character, the only options are various shades of 'give me back my son!'.

The way dialogue worked gameplay-wise also wasn't great--NPCs starting to wander the second you start talking to them, or random enemies attacking you in the middle of conversations.

I'm not sure combining skills with perks was the right way to go. I get that skills can be boring, but in combining them with perks they also made perks boring. I'd rather see them either drop skills and skill-style perks (lockpicking, gunsmithing, etc, which could be gated with materials availability instead of levels) entirely and only keep interesting perks, or just keep the older skills + perks system.

The lack of ending slides was a letdown, but on second thought I don't know what else they could really show--other than picking a faction, do you ever really affect anything in the world?

tldr; good game overall and definitely worth the purchase and playthrough, but I wish there was more RP in this RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I don't know if you can get it from his body, but you can force him out of it by shooting the core like with any other enemy. Also it's where the BOS Elder paint gets used, it can't be painted in any other style.

• Locked thread