Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Yeah, i keep listening to the soundtrack on Spotify despite not having heard of any of the artists involved before. it all just fits the atmosphere of the game so well and evokes something in me.

I'll be buying the disc version of the game despite already owning it on Steam because i feel like i should support devs who are willing to make games like this this.

It really was an utter surprise for me how much i loved this random, indie-ish adventure game about a teenage girl. It gave me the same feeling that Alan Wake and Deadly Premonition did of a complete world that i was allowed a glimpse into for a brief while that left me wanting more.

I've played pretty much every major release this year and had my eyes glaze over at how loving trite most of them were. Same shite with a slightly different coat of paint and basically the only games i've enjoyed were Fallout 4: The Expansion Pack To Fallout 3 But Still Good and Tales from the Borderlands. MGS 5 was pathetic, repetitive, LOADING SCREENS!, Ubisoft-a-like garbage and everything else was the same game as last year with a different number on it.

LiS was a revelation and ended up easily being my GOTY and one of my favorite games since i started back in the 80's on the C64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

spudsbuckley posted:

Yeah, i keep listening to the soundtrack on Spotify despite not having heard of any of the artists involved before. it all just fits the atmosphere of the game so well and evokes something in me.

I'll be buying the disc version of the game despite already owning it on Steam because i feel like i should support devs who are willing to make games like this this.

It really was an utter surprise for me how much i loved this random, indie-ish adventure game about a teenage girl. It gave me the same feeling that Alan Wake and Deadly Premonition did of a complete world that i was allowed a glimpse into for a brief while that left me wanting more.

I've played pretty much every major release this year and had my eyes glaze over at how loving trite most of them were. Same shite with a slightly different coat of paint and basically the only games i've enjoyed were Fallout 4: The Expansion Pack To Fallout 3 But Still Good and Tales from the Borderlands. MGS 5 was pathetic, repetitive, LOADING SCREENS!, Ubisoft-a-like garbage and everything else was the same game as last year with a different number on it.

LiS was a revelation and ended up easily being my GOTY and one of my favorite games since i started back in the 80's on the C64.

The crazy thing about LiS for me is that it completely caught me off guard with how interesting/good it wound up being. I remember checking out the GiantBomb Quick Look of the game way back when episode 1 was first released and thinking it was kinda boring. Then when the New York branch played the game more recently (and specifically got through the entirety of episode 1), I realized that this game might be pretty good.

Then I played it for myself, and it was shockingly good, even accounting for my distaste for the ending. If it isn't my favorite game of the year, it's a drat close second, and that's not something I expected I'd say about this game when I first heard about it. I'm with you, definitely buying the disc version of the game when it comes out.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

When I first heard the game was going to be coming out, it sounded too good to be true; a story driven episodic adventure game with a time rewinding gimmick, so I immediately set my expectations to just barely above nothing. Brilliant move on their part letting you buy the first episode as a stand alone and trying it out, I was hooked within the first 20 minutes.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
Teenage besties in Oregon discover time travel powers. Am I describing a critically acclaimed episodic game...or a weird Disney Sitcom?

Yes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LoseHound posted:

Teenage besties in Oregon discover time travel powers. Am I describing a critically acclaimed episodic game...or a weird Disney Sitcom?

Yes.

That episode takes a dark turn once it's revealed that the guy taking their photos on picture day is Mr. Jefferson.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

That episode takes a dark turn once it's revealed that the guy taking their photos on picture day is Mr. Jefferson.

The dark room is the only place I can...be my "selfie".

[STUDIO AUDIENCE LAUGHTER]

*FRANK bursts into the bunker in a kramer-esque fashion and looks into the camera*

"Those were my beans!!!"

[STUDIO AUDIENCE LOSES ITS COLLECTIVE poo poo]

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah the sound track for this game is amazing. Just getting to hear obstacles again was worth saving Chloe :D

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Life is Strange 2 came out, but they called it Fallout 4 and I guess it takes place in the wreckage of the Save Chloe tornado apocalypse.

Literally around half of LiS' voice acting cast shows up. Chloe, David, Principal Wells, Jefferson, Victoria, Joyce, William...all there. Only a handful are missing. I think Bethesda just hired on everyone from this game to play a role in FO4, and then filled out their few remaining characters with Thief Garrett's VA who voices every other NPC you meet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Ashly Burch is absolutely everywhere these days. For a while I was alternating between this game and Mortal Kombat X, hoping that Chloe would land a sick nasty X-Ray on the J-dog with her dual wield pistols. Max's voice actor I've never heard before but she was excellent, I hope she gets a lot more work.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, Hannah Telle and Ashley Burch both did an amazing job. So much crying.

As much as I don't want to be the goon talking about women's appearances, I think it's kinda funny how they're kinda the opposite of their characters physically. Max's voice is tall and blonde and typically glamorous, while Chloe's voice is the short quirky brunette with the hipster haircut.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, Hannah Telle and Ashley Burch both did an amazing job. So much crying.

As much as I don't want to be the goon talking about women's appearances, I think it's kinda funny how they're kinda the opposite of their characters physically. Max's voice is tall and blonde and typically glamorous, while Chloe's voice is the short quirky brunette with the hipster haircut.

It's not goony to comment how voice actors' appearance can differ from the roles they play. See Troy Baker in Last of Us

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More like see Troy Baker in every game ever.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
So, this game was a huge surprise to me. I don't think I've done a 180 in opinion on a game so hard since Deadly Premonition. I spent the first two chapters making fun of the hokey and teen-pandering dialogue, but wow, I loved how dark and hosed up it got as it went along. It's kinda clumsy, but it goes balls out and throws everything and the kitchen sink in there by the end. Episode 5 had more false endings than Return of the King and MGS4 combined. But Goddamn, it was a ride. Can't recall the last time I got so emotional over the game.

So it seems like a lot of people hate the ending. I don't really hate it, but I'm not really sure how the "Sacrifice Chloe" ending is supposed to work. There's no real discernible causality between Chloe dying and the storm coming, and if it's really caused by time travel abuse, more time travel isn't going to save that. However, I get the emotional element they were going for, with time travel serving as a function for Max to say goodbye and come to terms with change. I can't honestly say one ending is better than the other - it's legitimately a difficult choice. I will say that I got hit pretty hard by the final incarnation of the bathroom scene, where all you see is Max's reaction. :(

It's kind of a beautiful mess, but I think it moved me more than any other game in the past year. I'm currently thinking about all the Blade Runner parallels, but I'm sure somebody on the internet has already written a loving thesis on it.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Vargs posted:

Life is Strange 2 came out, but they called it Fallout 4 and I guess it takes place in the wreckage of the Save Chloe tornado apocalypse.

Literally around half of LiS' voice acting cast shows up. Chloe, David, Principal Wells, Jefferson, Victoria, Joyce, William...all there. Only a handful are missing. I think Bethesda just hired on everyone from this game to play a role in FO4, and then filled out their few remaining characters with Thief Garrett's VA who voices every other NPC you meet.

Mr. Jefferson being the head of the Brotherhood of Steel freaked me the gently caress out. :stare:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Beefstew posted:

So, this game was a huge surprise to me. I don't think I've done a 180 in opinion on a game so hard since Deadly Premonition. I spent the first two chapters making fun of the hokey and teen-pandering dialogue, but wow, I loved how dark and hosed up it got as it went along. It's kinda clumsy, but it goes balls out and throws everything and the kitchen sink in there by the end. Episode 5 had more false endings than Return of the King and MGS4 combined. But Goddamn, it was a ride. Can't recall the last time I got so emotional over the game.

So it seems like a lot of people hate the ending. I don't really hate it, but I'm not really sure how the "Sacrifice Chloe" ending is supposed to work. There's no real discernible causality between Chloe dying and the storm coming, and if it's really caused by time travel abuse, more time travel isn't going to save that. However, I get the emotional element they were going for, with time travel serving as a function for Max to say goodbye and come to terms with change. I can't honestly say one ending is better than the other - it's legitimately a difficult choice. I will say that I got hit pretty hard by the final incarnation of the bathroom scene, where all you see is Max's reaction. :(

It's kind of a beautiful mess, but I think it moved me more than any other game in the past year. I'm currently thinking about all the Blade Runner parallels, but I'm sure somebody on the internet has already written a loving thesis on it.
I thought the ending was appropriate, if anything it was more of an inevitability than anything. There were none of the left turns the episodes had been so fond of throwing at you up until that point, it was just a binary choice. The Sacrifice Arcadia Bay ending felt a little hollow in execution, I think they could have really driven home the weight and realities of that choice a little more.

As for how the Sacrifice Chloe ending works, it's Chloe NOT dying that causes the storm, or more specifically, Max interfering with the natural progression of things. Chloe was "supposed" to die in that bathroom, all the events in her life lead her to that point, and disrupting that chain of events had consequences. Blah blah chaos theory etc, fairly basic premise and not new territory but it fit with the story.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

We've been around this argument a few times, but if it's Chloe dying that fixes time, then getting shot by Jefferson should have prevented the tornado, but it was still coming. For that matter, if it's anyone being saved who 'should' have died that causes the tornado, then the alt world with quadriplegic Chloe should have been wiped out by a natural disaster years before the 'now' that you visit it in, thanks to saving William years back.

If it's just time travel in general that causes the storm, then going back and undoing all your decisions wouldn't mean jack, because you're using time travel to do it.

For the argument to make any sense, the tornado itself has to have some outside-the-time-stream knowledge and know that you've hosed with time, because from the perspective of anyone except Max herself, time looks perfectly normal. Only something with our outside knowledge would know that time fuckery was afoot, and therefore simply using time travel to go back and undo that doesn't fix anything, because all the things you've already done still exist from the perspective of a timelord like Max or whatever magic force is driving the tornado.

And so we come back to the entire foundation that the ending rests on being 'because it says so in the script'.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BobTheJanitor posted:

We've been around this argument a few times, but if it's Chloe dying that fixes time, then getting shot by Jefferson should have prevented the tornado, but it was still coming. For that matter, if it's anyone being saved who 'should' have died that causes the tornado, then the alt world with quadriplegic Chloe should have been wiped out by a natural disaster years before the 'now' that you visit it in, thanks to saving William years back.

If it's just time travel in general that causes the storm, then going back and undoing all your decisions wouldn't mean jack, because you're using time travel to do it.

For the argument to make any sense, the tornado itself has to have some outside-the-time-stream knowledge and know that you've hosed with time, because from the perspective of anyone except Max herself, time looks perfectly normal. Only something with our outside knowledge would know that time fuckery was afoot, and therefore simply using time travel to go back and undo that doesn't fix anything, because all the things you've already done still exist from the perspective of a timelord like Max or whatever magic force is driving the tornado.

And so we come back to the entire foundation that the ending rests on being 'because it says so in the script'.

It's a little awkward, but my understanding is that the mechanics of the storm are based on two factors: 1) A change is made; and 2) when the rewind takes place. 1 naturally is what spawns the storm, and 2 is what determines when the storm hits. So you travel back in time from October 2013 and make a change; even though the change was made in 2008, the time travel was in 2013, so the storm hits then. Because every change Max makes originates in October 2013, the storm will always hit in October 2013, whether you're saving Chloe or William.

But like I've said probably a million times, this probably wasn't in the original plan.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Mr. Jefferson being the head of the Brotherhood of Steel freaked me the gently caress out. :stare:

:catstare: Guess that makes that decision a lot easier.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
I threw together some ringtones last night and today from a few LiS songs: http://www.ironpencil.com/life-is-strange-ringtonesnotifications/

I also put the SMS and Consequences... notification sounds I found elsewhere in there.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

BobTheJanitor posted:

Making a change causes the storm. Not doing anything->no storm. Time travelling and changing stuff -> storm. Time travelling but not changing anything->no storm.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I think it's simpler than that. Chloe had to die in the bathroom. It doesn't matter if she dies after that point, as everything begins going haywire the moment she gets out of that first incident alive.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Could it be that it's not so much that Chloe NOT dying in the bathroom causes the storm so much as her dying prevents it? That's the only way to explain why the storm's still coming in the alternate timeline.
In this case, preventing the storm would be interfering with the natural course of the world. Maybe Chloe's not somebody fated to die, but instead a sacrifice to the angry Time God that's planning to Sodom and Gomorrah Arcadia Bay to begin with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's not Chloe living, but rather Max gaining her time travel powers under extreme duress/quantum fluctuations/whatever that is the source of the temporal storm. Remember that even in the alternate timeline, younger Max is aware of her time travel powers and uses them to save William, thus causing the same temporal rip that eventually hits their reality on the same exact day. Thus the only way to prevent the storm from happening is to create a timeline where Max loses her power and/or never discovers she has them, which she accomplishes in the final photo jump. I don't believe as some do that there is a "natural" timeline of events, only ones that collapse into a stable endstate.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 26, 2015

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Thus the only way to prevent the storm from happening is to create a timeline where Max loses her power and/or never discovers she has them, which she accomplishes in the final photo jump. I don't believe as some do that there is a "natural" timeline of events, only ones that collapse into a stable endstate.

But...shouldn't she remember she has powers immediately after the jump ends? She knew about her powers in Jefferson's class after Chloe died the first go round, and used them to fix the camera which she then used to take the butterfly picture she leaped into. The only way this makes sense is if the second photo somehow lead to the timeline from the first. Otherwise, Max would still probably fart around with her new god powers until she remembers everything, just not doing anything of consequence like un-killing Chloe.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Subyng posted:

Making a change causes the storm. Not doing anything->no storm. Time travelling and changing stuff -> storm. Time travelling but not changing anything->no storm.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
The point is that as soon as she left "the moment" she'd lose memory of traveling back to that point. Assuming she still had her power, literally the next time she reached out her hand she's end up discovering her power anyway, probably change a thing at some point before getting her memory back, and we're right back to square one.

Really sacrificing Chloe makes no sense from a standpoint of some one without meta-game knowledge.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

It's too bad that Undertale and the end of Life is Strange came out so close to each other. Undertale did timeline fuckery/changing fate so well that I ended up being disappointed simply because LiS's ending didn't completely shatter my perception of everything that led up to it and you know they reeeeeally wanted it to.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Paladin posted:

It's too bad that Undertale and the end of Life is Strange came out so close to each other. Undertale did timeline fuckery/changing fate so well that I ended up being disappointed simply because LiS's ending didn't completely shatter my perception of everything that led up to it and you know they reeeeeally wanted it to.
Undertale and Ghost Trick are what LiS' ending should have been more like instead of ripping off of Donnie Darko's ending without realizing why that ending fit with the movie and not LiS.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

Undertale and Ghost Trick are what LiS' ending should have been more like instead of ripping off of Donnie Darko's ending without realizing why that ending fit with the movie and not LiS.

GHOST TRICK SPOILERS HOLY poo poo DONT READ IF YOU EVER INTEND TO PLAY THE GAME

Max was actually Max's pet butterfly the whole time

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Another aspect of Ghost Trick's and Undertale's endings besides gently caress fate that Life is Strange desperately needed is that both games' endings are big celebration of their characters. A good amount of the characters in both games grow and have meaningful arcs as well having them all work together to make things right in the climax. Life is Strange was very similar in that it did a really good job of you giving a poo poo about the characters and having a major theme of empathizing and understanding people. Kate is the biggest example and it still is fantastic, but Victoria as well. Episode 5 does the exact opposite of Ghost Trick and Undertale and just shits all over its likable and nuanced cast for cheap drama and utterly invalidates its previously strong themes of getting involved, responsibility, understanding and helping people, and trying to work towards a better future. You know all that good coming of age stuff, like they pitched the game as.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
Life is Strange has a similar outline to The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Girl gets time powers, tries to fix stuff, learns about growing up, loses loved one, time travels back to the beginning, the end. It worked there because there were only about 3 important characters. The ending doesn't work for LiS because the game is several hours too long for that. The game short changes the other characters' arcs in order to focus on Max's growth and it doesn't work because the game does everything it can to get you to care about everyone. I mean, I can't be the only one who thought Victoria's arc was abrupt, that David's was left hanging, or that Nathan's arc was...phoned in. The game just kinda shrugs and you're left to assume that everyone is more or less on the same track for no reason, or that Max is supposed interfere with everyone's lives based on time knowledge. It's an unsatisfying and obvious ending.

"Oh but people were theorizing for months, of course they would guess the ending." People had the ending guessed from like, the first trailer. Butterfly. Time travel. Storm. It was so on-the-nose I thought it was a red herring. I followed the game from the beginning like a big nerd because I loved Remember Me. "Obstacles" still gets me a little pumped. However, Remember Me had a pretty silly ending so I was definitely anxious about DONTNOD doing a story-based game. Well, now I have two videogame endings I love to whinge about on the internet! And some cool music to listen to while I do it!

random comment: In Episode 5 of Tales from the Borderlands (which was released the same day as LiS Episode 5), if you take Claptrap with you, when Sasha is revived he says something like "Phew, I thought this was going to be one of those depressing endings you're supposed to pull something deep out of!" I thought it was funny.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LoseHound posted:

random comment: In Episode 5 of Tales from the Borderlands (which was released the same day as LiS Episode 5), if you take Claptrap with you, when Sasha is revived he says something like "Phew, I thought this was going to be one of those depressing endings you're supposed to pull something deep out of!" I thought it was funny.

I wondered if it was a coincidence or not, because I've completed TftB one month late.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Paladinus posted:

I wondered if it was a coincidence or not, because I've completed TftB one month late.

It's a common trope, precisely why they're poking fun at it.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I thought that was them being self-depricating since that's the kind of thing they became known for with the Walking Dead games.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Accordion Man posted:

The end of this game is absolutely nothing like Donnie Darko though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The Donnie Darko ending makes more sense than any of the two LiS endings.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

wyoming posted:

The end of this game is absolutely nothing like Donnie Darko though.
Donnie had to die or else the universe would implode while Chloe has to die to stop the storm from destroying the town because reasons. They're similar in that the survival of a person throws all of reality out of whack, but Donnie Darko made it work while LiS made it a confusing mess that doesn't fit at all with the tone, themes, and rules the rest of the game had.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 26, 2015

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Subyng posted:

Yes, good job stating what happened in the game. But that doesn't really do anything to explain why it's that way.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Donnie Darko worked because we the movie-watching public didn't realize that Richard Kelly is actually a hack and thought this insipid film about ghost rabbits and invisible belly worms was genius instead of really really dumb and proud of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Plom Bar posted:

Donnie Darko worked because we the movie-watching public didn't realize that Richard Kelly is actually a hack and thought this insipid film about ghost rabbits and invisible belly worms was genius instead of really really dumb and proud of it.

:drat:

• Locked thread