Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
tomb raider 2013 did that as well, you had a pry bar and to pry things open you had to tap X to fill up a meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

tuyop posted:

I'm fine with mechanisms and animations to open doors, it breaks up pacing sometimes. I just don't see any reason to make me tap a button through the whole thing. Hide your load screens in a dude peeling a banana if you want, just don't make me do some weird facsimile of banana peeling with a controller.

Oh I wasn't disagreeing with you, I hate that poo poo too. I just think it's there because otherwise you get that awkwardness of Metroid Prime where you shoot a door for 5 seconds and can't figure out why it won't open. If you're busy mashing it just makes it look like a lovely QTE as opposed to lovely load times.

I think I am thinking of Dante's Inferno actually but I'm guessing there are probably dozens of games that do the same thing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Some of those are supposed to be to mask load times aren't they? Not in every case of course, I seem to recall playing some lovely character action game that made you mash to even use a health fountain.

That and it keeps you from just running past the enemies since they can attack you and knock you out of the opening animation if you don't take care of them first. It can be a little annoying but it beats an endless gauntlet of convenient forcefields a la Devil May Cry or God of War.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This video is somewhat related to the discussion about tapping things to open doors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUJstqS6mdE

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Honestly, video games as a whole aren't very good at being immersive, and you'd be a fool to attempt to become immersed in a video game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

a kiddy pool full of gba games is pretty immersive

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
not for most gamers

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
DS games would work better

Vita games best of all but good luck finding that many :twisted:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

This video is somewhat related to the discussion about tapping things to open doors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUJstqS6mdE

I haven't seen these guys before. They are funny. And perfectly self aware that they are dumb nerds making a dumb video about a dumb subject.

I believe ~my immersion~ has a lot more to do with creating believable characters and a consistent world than 'gamey' stuff that makes your life easier. It's less about button prompts or even QTEs and more about some game devs (particularly AAA game devs) assuming the player is a complete moron that must be spoon fed all information. The Souls series is perfectly succesful and it generally respects the player's ability to figure stuff out on their own with subtle cues. I agree that button prompts simply to advance a cutscene is generally dumb.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ekster posted:

I haven't seen these guys before. They are funny. And perfectly self aware that they are dumb nerds making a dumb video about a dumb subject.

That self-awareness is my favorite thing about them. They are kinda clueless compared to other youtube gaming guys when it comes to all the HOTTEST NEWZ but they also realize that poo poo doesn't matter. Because they're grown men.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're not awful, but I think RLM still has a lot of pedantic nerd things going on. BotW is good though.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Girl has reached Pluto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F0za2bKA9o

Next stop THE SUN

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Well, I'm not totally opposed to QTEs either after playing Until Dawn. But I think it was really exceptional that way. I'm thinking of how the tension was really increased by the high stakes jumping QTEs. You know that if you gently caress up this jump series or move (or don't move), someone could die so you get really into it. Then you get to chill out by walking around the woods waving your controller around looking for totems.

For that matter, I'd also call it "immersive" in that there are points in the game that you're really engaged and get freaked out by jump scares and dread the hosed up poo poo that happens and for some reason having a big triangle icon pop up doesn't break it.

Even though it's kind of written for (by?) children, I'd definitely count it among my favourite games.

Speaking of immersion, what is the standard here? Is the best case of immersion reading a novel as a child and being totally taken away by the fictional world? Because I can't really think of anything other than, like, adult social interactions or work that brings up that flow state, that are actually immersive.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

They're not awful, but I think RLM still has a lot of pedantic nerd things going on. BotW is good though.

a site founded on star wars reviews as long as the movies themselves is pedantic? Say it ain't so!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

a site founded on star wars reviews as long as the movies themselves is pedantic? Say it ain't so!

Yeah, I don't think much of the Plinkett reviews in retrospect; their current output where it's just them shooting the poo poo about recent films or random schlock they pulled off a shelf is much better.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

No idea how other people use it, but what I'd describe as "immersion" is being able to play and enjoy a game without thinking too much about the act of playing a game. Like having controls so good that you never feel like you're struggling with them, but instead are able to reflexively pull off whatever action you wish without thinking about the combination of button pushes you just did.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The guys who got famous for making fun of George Lucas for using green screens and being self-indulgent now spend like half of their review shows doing inane sketches in front of green screens. It would be hilarious if it was intentional.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

The guys who got famous for making fun of George Lucas for using green screens and being self-indulgent now spend like half of their review shows doing inane sketches in front of green screens. It would be hilarious if it was intentional.

At least it's mostly confined to the beginning and end of HitB episodes so you can easily avoid it; for a lot of "internet critics" the awful sketches have consumed their whole shows.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

tuyop posted:

Speaking of immersion, what is the standard here? Is the best case of immersion reading a novel as a child and being totally taken away by the fictional world? Because I can't really think of anything other than, like, adult social interactions or work that brings up that flow state, that are actually immersive.

How well does it fool your subconscious without your rational part getting in the way. Obviously a young child's higher brain functions are still in development so it's very easy for them to get totally immersed. It takes more effort for an adult but I think you can get a good amount of immersion with a bit of work. Any good horror game is pretty immersive in my book.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sleeveless posted:

I would sacrifice all of the Half in the Bag episodes for just a single Plinkett review.

I need my garbled serial kill dead wife funny man!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

tuyop posted:

Well, I'm not totally opposed to QTEs either after playing Until Dawn. But I think it was really exceptional that way. I'm thinking of how the tension was really increased by the high stakes jumping QTEs. You know that if you gently caress up this jump series or move (or don't move), someone could die so you get really into it. Then you get to chill out by walking around the woods waving your controller around looking for totems.

For that matter, I'd also call it "immersive" in that there are points in the game that you're really engaged and get freaked out by jump scares and dread the hosed up poo poo that happens and for some reason having a big triangle icon pop up doesn't break it.

Even though it's kind of written for (by?) children, I'd definitely count it among my favourite games.

Until Dawn was really rad until we played it again and realized how shallow the "open ended" narrative was

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looper posted:

Until Dawn was really rad until we played it again and realized how shallow the "open ended" narrative was

This is literally every 'your choices have consequences!' game ever made.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sakurazuka posted:

uhh we were talking about alpha protocol like three days ago dude

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Except Alpha Protocol.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

witcher 2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Everyone always says "but our game will be different!" and I fall for it every time :(

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

axleblaze posted:

Except Alpha Protocol.

And Undertale.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Motto posted:

At least it's mostly confined to the beginning and end of HitB episodes so you can easily avoid it; for a lot of "internet critics" the awful sketches have consumed their whole shows.

I love most of their stuff and I like both HITB and BOTW. The game stuff is ok because, as said, they're self-aware of how they're 30+ and counting.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I love most of their stuff and I like both HITB and BOTW. The game stuff is ok because, as said, they're self-aware of how they're 30+ and counting.

especially considering that most actual, serious game critics are the same age

also

Motto posted:

for a lot of "internet critics" the awful sketches have consumed their whole shows.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I want to play some "Erotic Violence" pachinko

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Looper posted:

I don't think true open ended narrative would be that satisfying. Dwarf fortress is probably the closest thing, right?

As for Until Dawn, I did and watched like four playthroughs in total and there were some significant differences despite the set arc of the game. I'm pretty satisfied with that, the decisions still feel meaningful especially when you get that sick feeling that you made the wrong innocuous choice 40 minutes ago that's now totally obvious. I think it's also commendable just for pacing, atmosphere, voice acting and facial animation.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Sleeveless posted:

Ignore lists are cool and good and using them is infinitely less spergy than maintaining an encyclopedic knowledge of whether or not every poster worth listening to.

why are you against fun

program666
Aug 22, 2013

the thrill of typing a wall of text and almost clicking the "Submit Reply" button but realizing you were responding to a ttr a split second before.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Donald Trump tweeted about Final Fantasy 15 taking too drat long to come out, he's going to make it a reality in 2016 everyone!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Donald Trump believes in Final Fantasy, god dammit.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Trump will make Star Citizen real.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Donald Trump is gonna make Fallout real more like

program666
Aug 22, 2013

carmageddon reincarnation is a really fun game. I feel like changing a bunch of stuff on the gameplay (stuff that I doubt will be possible to do with mods), but as it is it's a big step up from carma 2 and that's all I expected.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sakurazuka posted:

Donald Trump is gonna make Fallout real more like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fawf posted:

Girl has reached Pluto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F0za2bKA9o

Next stop THE SUN

Yes!!! Yes!!!

• Locked thread