Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mackieman posted:

Regularly. Some tickets don't have a round trip pricing component so the ticket prices as two one-ways. Because of market-based pricing, one segment can be vastly more expensive than the other. Not much you can do about it unless you find a nice hidden city ticket or change origin/destination. Nearby airports are usually the best way to overcome this sort of issue. If you'll provide the to/from and some dates, we'll take a look.

I found one city near the origin that was quite a bit cheaper, though it'd be a pain in the rear end for her to get there. The flight I'm looking for is TAS to somewhere in Central Europe, in order of preference: PRG, VIE, TXL. Time-wise, early-mid December and back... like a month later? Thanks!

peanut posted:

Different countries have different peak travel seasons and airport taxes etc. Try alternative dates and/or round about routes.

Yeah, I tried various dates (including departure in January), makes no difference. The only thing that makes a significant impact is reversing the flight direction :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

mobby_6kl posted:

I found one city near the origin that was quite a bit cheaper, though it'd be a pain in the rear end for her to get there. The flight I'm looking for is TAS to somewhere in Central Europe, in order of preference: PRG, VIE, TXL. Time-wise, early-mid December and back... like a month later? Thanks!

Yeah, I tried various dates (including departure in January), makes no difference. The only thing that makes a significant impact is reversing the flight direction :)

Random search for a departure on December 16 and a return pm January 13 into PRG returns prices of around $640USD but both ways have pretty awful layovers in Russia of 14 hours out and 7 hours back. For more reasonable options, if you're willing to do WAW, you can do $631 and reasonable layovers in Moscow.

Slightly more expensive at 724EUR is Turkish where there are reasonable-ish layovers in IST.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I think I would rather fly domestic coach on a Trans-Pacific flight in the middle seat between a fat guy and a mom with a screaming baby than do a 14 hour layover in Russia.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for looking into this; that's roughly what I've seen too so far. The layovers are pretty lovely and while $600-700 isn't extraordinary expensive, it's quite a lot when that's several months worth of income :v:. It's mainly the discrepancy that's frustrating ,there's a (return) Turkish flight with the opposite direction for $300.

Pinkie
Mar 12, 2012
Currently in the planning phase of a trip to Europe to watch the EURO.

Origin: YYZ
Destination: Paris, London, Berlin, Munich. Would like to land in and around those countries - whichever is cheapest.
Duration of trip with dates: June 21/22 - July 11/12.
Flexibility: Departure date is somewhat flexible (can't leave earlier than June 18/19), arrival date is also flexible, but I really want to be in Europe for the EURO final on July 10.

I've seen some flights for sub $CAD 1,000 for YYZ to CDG and am wondering if this is the cheapest it's going to get and if I should book now. Any help would be appreciated!

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Westjet added flights from YYZ to LGW for 271CAD one-way.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

spoof posted:

Westjet added flights from YYZ to LGW for 271CAD one-way.

Yeah and that return one way will be three times more expensive.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Depends. With mainline airlines, definitely, but not with the budget ones. Westjet, Icelandair and Air Transat all do one-ways at half the price of the return. Air transat has a one-way return LGW-YYZ on July 12 for 383CAD, making his trip 271+383=654CAD return to London.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Is Icelandair considered a budget airline? I thought their service was pretty good and they're the national carrier. WOW Air on the other hand... :smithicide:

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

They're definitely on the cheaper end (coming from the Europe side anyway), plus they severely downgraded their service over the years, in my experience.

But as Geriatric Pirate pointed out earlier in the thread:

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I haven't flown them but based on trip reports I've read they're just a normal European carrier now, except that they charge for food in economy. Free checked bags, 32" seat pitch and AVOD IFE aren't exactly LCC characteristics.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

They did charge for food, but eastern US to KEF is a 6ish hour flight. That's easily manageable with a couple light snacks.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Not necessarily. I priced out YYC-MAD connecting through London, and BA had flights for under $1000 including all taxes and fees ($1400 for Premium Economy round-trip). I think it would be well within reason for an LCC like WestJet or Air Transat to be able to offer YYZ-LGW for that price.

The only real problem with WestJet is that it sucks unless you want to end in London, because they haven't set up any codeshares in Europe yet.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you have to fly in Y, I don't see what the big deal with flying WOW Air vs being stuck in a BA 747 or 787 or any AA plane in a non-MCE seat are. The food is dog poo poo anyway and I always bring a snack or eat in the lounge (ok, one benefit of flying non-LCCs - lounge access if you don't have an expensive credit card). The legroom and seat pitch on a 787 or a 10-abreast 777 are comparable to being stuck on an A320, except the A320 lands and you can get off and stretch out for a bit.

Then again, I'm still boycotting Ryanair so maybe there's something to it.

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 24, 2015

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Pinkie posted:

Currently in the planning phase of a trip to Europe to watch the EURO.

Origin: YYZ
Destination: Paris, London, Berlin, Munich. Would like to land in and around those countries - whichever is cheapest.
Duration of trip with dates: June 21/22 - July 11/12.
Flexibility: Departure date is somewhat flexible (can't leave earlier than June 18/19), arrival date is also flexible, but I really want to be in Europe for the EURO final on July 10.

I've seen some flights for sub $CAD 1,000 for YYZ to CDG and am wondering if this is the cheapest it's going to get and if I should book now. Any help would be appreciated!

I see Air Canada (and WestJet which is driving the fares down) for about $600USD/$800CAD round trip for YYZ-LGW. For Europe in the middle of summer, that is amazing. Book that poo poo immediately.

Pinkie
Mar 12, 2012

Mackieman posted:

I see Air Canada (and WestJet which is driving the fares down) for about $600USD/$800CAD round trip for YYZ-LGW. For Europe in the middle of summer, that is amazing. Book that poo poo immediately.

Yeah wow- That is an incredible price. Even if it means flying AC Rouge.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pinkie posted:

Yeah wow- That is an incredible price. Even if it means flying AC Rouge.

Thanks for all the recommendations!

You couldn't loving pay me $800 to fly overseas on loving AC Rouge.

Don't book it. By doing so, you'll validate AC's decision to make flying as unpleasant as humanly possible without breaking any laws, and the rest of us will suffer for it. I don't care when LCCs do it, because I can ignore them, but as Rouge grows, it's starting to become the only option on some routes that were previously served by normal, mainline AC aircraft, and it's horrible.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Pardon my ignorance but what's AC Rouge? Some LCC bullshit conceived by Air Canada?

Pinkie
Mar 12, 2012

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Pardon my ignorance but what's AC Rouge? Some LCC bullshit conceived by Air Canada?

It's Air Canada's no frills, discount airline. They serve no complimentary food or drinks and no in-seat screens. They have an app you can download onto your ipad or computer to watch movies or shows during your trip, but there are no plugs at the seats. Flying with them to Las Vegas was pretty bad, but unfortunately, their prices are pretty decent.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

That's basically it, yeah. It's aimed at the "leisure travel" market, which apparently finds 29-inch seat pitch to be tolerable if they can save $20. I don't have a problem with such a product being available, but I hate that it's now the only option on some routes. I hate beginning and ending my vacations with a hellish airline experience.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah no gently caress LCC's. I'll happily pay the extra $50 or whatever to be treated slightly better than cattle going to the slaughterhouse.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

PT6A posted:

That's basically it, yeah. It's aimed at the "leisure travel" market, which apparently finds 29-inch seat pitch to be tolerable if they can save $20. I don't have a problem with such a product being available, but I hate that it's now the only option on some routes. I hate beginning and ending my vacations with a hellish airline experience.

29" seat itch? Even loving RyanAir has 30".

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also they didn't actually make it low cost, the prices on all the routes that run rouge are the same as they used to be, they just now run shittier airplanes to them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jeoh posted:

29" seat itch? Even loving RyanAir has 30".

Yes!

The A319: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Rouge_A319_Premium.php

The 767, which would be used for routes over 6 hours, has the luxurious 30" pitch in economy: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Canada/Air_Canada_Rouge_Boeing_767-300ER_new.php

HookShot posted:

Also they didn't actually make it low cost, the prices on all the routes that run rouge are the same as they used to be, they just now run shittier airplanes to them.

This is also very true.

TL;DR: gently caress Air Canada sideways. Flying BA/IB to Europe last year certainly was an eye-opener... Even the Business Class lounge in Heathrow T5 (or Madrid T4) made Air Canada's flagship lounge in Toronto look like a shabby shithole with terrible food and terrible wine. BA and IB both had very decent wine selections on the ground and in the air; for some reason, Air Canada never has, even in Business Class. But I digress...

PT6A fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 26, 2015

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
How do airlines usually do refunds on round-trip tickets when you cancel the second half?

I flew the first half of a China Southern SFO-CAN roundtrip ticket, then canceled the return flight and came back on a different airline (and a different day). Even though I already flew half of it, China Southern/Expedia refunded me my original fare, minus a $100 fee.

So I flew to China for $100... Huh.

Makes sense they'd mess this up, China Southern was pretty lovely.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Take it , shut your mouth, and run quickly

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

meatpotato posted:

How do airlines usually do refunds on round-trip tickets when you cancel the second half?

I flew the first half of a China Southern SFO-CAN roundtrip ticket, then canceled the return flight and came back on a different airline (and a different day). Even though I already flew half of it, China Southern/Expedia refunded me my original fare, minus a $100 fee.

So I flew to China for $100... Huh.

Makes sense they'd mess this up, China Southern was pretty lovely.

Not the way you got it. Bank error in your favor.

Dragonness
Dec 3, 2015
Hi,

I'd like to fly to Milan from NYC for a trip ranging from 5 to 9 days. My dates are completely flexible. My only requirement is that this be a direct flight.

If I google "NYC Milan return trip" Kayak comes up with flights in the unbelievable $220-250 range, but there's no way to select the flight. Clicking on it brings up another Kayak page that shows more typical flight prices.

What's the trick and what's realistically the cheapest I can get on this itinerary?

Thanks for helping this newbie out!

Dragonness fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 3, 2015

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Working with your rough dates, I see MXP to JFK, nonstop, $338 USD. Dates Feb 25 -> Mar 9. There's a few other dates with the same or roughly the same price, but I don't see lower.

That flight would be on American Airlines, you could book direct.

Dragonness
Dec 3, 2015
Thanks - I see that too, but I'm flying NYC to MXP and back - not vice versa.

I'm also curious what people make of that screenshot from Kayak - why does it show those numbers but if I click on them it takes me to the same page but then with more realistic amounts?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My guess is that it was a Cyber Monday sale with extremely limited availability. I know Emirates was doing a 2-for-1 sale and they fly JFK-MXP. Maybe Alitalia matched them.

Or someone screwed up the fare in the computer, and it was never actually bookable at that rate.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

smackfu posted:

I know Emirates was doing a 2-for-1 sale and they fly JFK-MXP.

I took advantage of this deal back in February for a flight last week. Be aware that if the flight is oversold you'll be the first one bumped off regardless of if you hold reserved seats, etc. The check in area was littered with people getting bumped regardless of check in time or method, the only thing in common was that promotion.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Dragonness posted:

Thanks - I see that too, but I'm flying NYC to MXP and back - not vice versa.

I'm also curious what people make of that screenshot from Kayak - why does it show those numbers but if I click on them it takes me to the same page but then with more realistic amounts?

Sorry, for some reason I had it flipped that you were traveling to NYC from Milan, that's why I gave you the USD note.

Yeah NYC-MXP is in the $600 range.

Dragonness
Dec 3, 2015

sellouts posted:

I took advantage of this deal back in February for a flight last week. Be aware that if the flight is oversold you'll be the first one bumped off regardless of if you hold reserved seats, etc. The check in area was littered with people getting bumped regardless of check in time or method, the only thing in common was that promotion.

I took advantage of this deal back in January for a flight in August. :-) Also, it wasn't that much of a deal. We still paid $1900 for two people, but it was peak season so I guess it could have been worse.

But this time I want to fly alone.

Dragonness
Dec 3, 2015

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Sorry, for some reason I had it flipped that you were traveling to NYC from Milan, that's why I gave you the USD note.

Yeah NYC-MXP is in the $600 range.

Okay, sounds like I do know how to do my fare searches then. I feel better now. :-)

Thanks so much!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Not strictly low-fare related but: be very wary of Air Canada. In addition to the aforementioned Rouge fuckery, they just subbed an A321 on a route that was supposed to be operated by a 767. My folks paid full business class fare for a flat bed and now they get a narrow-body recliner chair instead.

Never, ever loving trust Air Canada. Choose literally any other airline instead, because AC will literally conjure new ways to gently caress you over and make your life unpleasant. I wouldn't believe it myself except it happens every time I or anyone I know has the displeasure of flying with them.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Man, I would have never thought Air Canada was as bad or worse than the US domestic carriers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Never heard of this airline before, but if you are going to one of their very few pairs, seems like a neat option: http://pwm.eliteairways.net/

Vero Beach FL to Newark NJ
Branson MO to Houston TX
Melbourne FL to Portland ME
Chicago IL to Fort Collins CO

smackfu fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 7, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Man, I would have never thought Air Canada was as bad or worse than the US domestic carriers.

They're claiming it was a maintenance issue, but the flight crew had 24 hours notice and it was flying out of Toronto, so I really doubt they couldn't have found another 767. As far as we can tell, no one got bumped off the flight even though the A321 is smaller, and it's not the first time this week an A321 has been subbed onto that flight according to the online flight history.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

What route was it out of curiosity? I'd be mad as hell if I paid for a bed on a cross-ocean flight and ended up in a recliner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

What route was it out of curiosity? I'd be mad as hell if I paid for a bed on a cross-ocean flight and ended up in a recliner.

YYZ-YYC (4.5 hours, leaving at 9PM). Either way, they picked that specific flight (as I'm sure most other people did) specifically because it was going to be operated by a 767 with flat beds.