Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ratbert90 posted:

Engadget specifically went out of their way to complain that the surface doesn't come with a pen, and at the same time didn't complain at all that the Ipad Pro also doesn't come with a pen.

The fingers of Apple users are slender and adept enough to not require the use of primitive sticks for writing. Also the Surface isn't made by Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Engadget specifically went out of their way to complain that the surface doesn't come with a pen, and at the same time didn't complain at all that the Ipad Pro also doesn't come with a pen.

I mean, a pen is more useful for doing any desktop or full Windows program stuff than anything running iOS, ya know? Not that the iPad Pro isn't ridiculous in other ways, but that seems a not totally unreasonable complaint for one and not the other.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

RVProfootballer posted:

I mean, a pen is more useful for doing any desktop or full Windows program stuff than anything running iOS, ya know? Not that the iPad Pro isn't ridiculous in other ways, but that seems a not totally unreasonable complaint for one and not the other.

Didn't the previous surface pros also come with pens anyway? So now it's even more you have to shell out for (along with type cover etc)?

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

So any goons got their mits on one yet? Or was i stupid and all those dates i was reading were for preorders and whatnot.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I tried the 950 in the store. All the reviews are accurate- it's incredibly underwhelming. I don't know if it's the demo software layer that they put on in-store phones, but Windows 10 seems like a mess (I haven't tried any of the builds). Even the core apps greet you with a short ellipses when you load them. I've been on-board since the Focus, and I think I'm jumping ship now. Just an insulting lack of effort from Microsoft.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I tried the 950 in the store. All the reviews are accurate- it's incredibly underwhelming. I don't know if it's the demo software layer that they put on in-store phones, but Windows 10 seems like a mess (I haven't tried any of the builds). Even the core apps greet you with a short ellipses when you load them. I've been on-board since the Focus, and I think I'm jumping ship now. Just an insulting lack of effort from Microsoft.

Same thoughts as well. $550 for a windows phone just seems like too much, especially after playing around with it. Think I'm going to jump ship to Android (looking at the Huawei ascend mate 2) and see if the WP situation improves in a year.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Zarfol posted:

Same thoughts as well. $550 for a windows phone just seems like too much, especially after playing around with it. Think I'm going to jump ship to Android (looking at the Huawei ascend mate 2) and see if the WP situation improves in a year.

Spoiler: it won't

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I got a Galaxy S6 Active :negative: Sitting this generation out; I'll come back later if it turns out MS is playing the long game here as opposed to just kinda giving up.

(strongly considering getting the launcher that makes it look like WP though)

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Spoiler: it won't

Yeah, seriously. Microsofts market share is 1.7% down from 3% in the US based on their shenanigans over the past year ie. not releasing any flagships. Now they've gone ahead and released a flagship that won't bring new people to the platform, with a buggy OS that sacrifices some of that the old stalwarts liked and at a price to make even the most diehard fans rethink. Microsoft isn't playing a long game here, they are just really incompentent with mobile.

I'll be impressived if their market share is above 1% at this time next year when the next "surface phone" is released.

I'm honestly shocked Microsoft released it at this price rather than 150% cheaper especially when google released its nexus prices. I'm surprised they went with think plastic backplates rather than metal or polycarbonate since the backplate is so easily replaceable. It wouldn't have been terrible difficult a few months ago to change that part of the design.

I'm still getting a 950xl because i'm an idiot that's sticking with this sinking ship till it hits bottom (and because HTC is dying, Motorola and samsungs phones don't excite me, Sony phones are silly expensive in the US with no warranty support, and Ios doesn't draw me.)

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle
We've got iPad and Nexus 7 at home and iOS is in many ways step backwards in usability and I'm not too fond of Android either as it's such clusterfuck technically and apps are often just buggy garbage. But after running Windows 10 for a couple of months now as daily driver, they've gutted all the features I really liked in WP and now that WM10 is in RTM there's no hope of them coming back.

950 would have to have its price reduced to half to get me even remotely interested, as great camera is only think I like in Lumias anymore. When my 930 dies I know I'll most likely get iPhone 6s+, I'm done with this poo poo. All MS apps I use are better on iOS anyway.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

One of the things I am not too worried about is basis bug-fix updates coming, my 920 ownership was actually very pleasing from that perspective. While big updates were slow to arrive, and it was all a bit depressing, stuff like firmware and camera updates did show up in a timely and solid manner. So I would expect Windows 10 to get smoothed out over the next year as well. Unfortunately it looks like there is little reason to actually want one, so I will continue on the line "use myself but never ever recommend to anyone", and take the plunge again.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Lumia 640 down to $39 today. Great deal if you want to trial run WP:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/AT-T--Microsoft-Lumia-640-Black--No-Contract/productID.320816400

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Yeah the 950 is way overpriced, I'm gonna get the 550 as it's hopefully gonna be dirt cheap (if not I'll grab a 640 on the cheap), and then wait and see if next year if there's a decent Surface phone or something. I agree with what someone said earlier, iOS is awful, and Android is a buggy mess at best and I hate the choice of phones, so I'm stuck with WP.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Yeah, seriously. Microsofts market share is 1.7% down from 3% in the US based on their shenanigans over the past year ie. not releasing any flagships. Now they've gone ahead and released a flagship that won't bring new people to the platform, with a buggy OS that sacrifices some of that the old stalwarts liked and at a price to make even the most diehard fans rethink. Microsoft isn't playing a long game here, they are just really incompentent with mobile.

I'll be impressived if their market share is above 1% at this time next year when the next "surface phone" is released.

I'm honestly shocked Microsoft released it at this price rather than 150% cheaper especially when google released its nexus prices. I'm surprised they went with think plastic backplates rather than metal or polycarbonate since the backplate is so easily replaceable. It wouldn't have been terrible difficult a few months ago to change that part of the design.

I'm still getting a 950xl because i'm an idiot that's sticking with this sinking ship till it hits bottom (and because HTC is dying, Motorola and samsungs phones don't excite me, Sony phones are silly expensive in the US with no warranty support, and Ios doesn't draw me.)

Flagships don't increase market share and don't make money. Only one company makes money on flagships. Samsung, LG, HTC loose money on flagship phones.

The money and market share is at the middle and bottom end of the market where phones are given away free on the lower priced contracts.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I really wanted to like the 950 but it just didn't do it for me. The camera seemed good and was plenty quick to take photos, but there are things that I'm realizing I'd miss from Android if I switched back to WP. What're the odds that the universal app thing will make the app situation genuinely better and in any way remotely on par with Android our iOS?

Sorry if this has been discussed a bunch in here, I haven't had the time to catch up on this whole thread.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Or 29.99 if you're a best buy elite/elite plus member.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Ev posted:

I really wanted to like the 950 but it just didn't do it for me. The camera seemed good and was plenty quick to take photos, but there are things that I'm realizing I'd miss from Android if I switched back to WP. What're the odds that the universal app thing will make the app situation genuinely better and in any way remotely on par with Android our iOS?

Where I have confidence in Microsoft beating WP10 into shape in time, so complaints of it running hot or laggy or such in the initial version is not too much of a concern to me, I am not the least bit convinced that the app situation will pick up briskly, and even less that Microsoft will actually deliver on the promises of the Android porting runtime. So, yeah, wouldn't bet on it at the very least, best to stick where things work for you if they work for you :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think they're shifting their focus onto recompiling iOS apps as it's proving a lot more fruitful than the Android front and sounds like good progress is being made?

I hope this forces companies like Google & Snapchat to either develop their apps for Windows Phone or prove they're just assholes (they are) by not bothering.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Yeah, what assholes for not developing for and supporting 1% of the phone market. Such jerks, ignoring Windows Mobile 10 and BB10.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

bitcoin savant posted:

Yeah, what assholes for not developing for and supporting 1% of the phone market. Such jerks, ignoring Windows Mobile 10 and BB10.

They could at least just publish the APIs and let other people do it, of which there are plenty of people willing to do so. (remember 6snap?)

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

One of the things I am not too worried about is basis bug-fix updates coming, my 920 ownership was actually very pleasing from that perspective. While big updates were slow to arrive, and it was all a bit depressing, stuff like firmware and camera updates did show up in a timely and solid manner. So I would expect Windows 10 to get smoothed out over the next year as well. Unfortunately it looks like there is little reason to actually want one, so I will continue on the line "use myself but never ever recommend to anyone", and take the plunge again.

Windows Phone - I would expect Windows 10 to get smoothed out over the next year

Windows Phone - There is little reason to actually want one

Windows Phone - Use myself but never ever recommend

Goddamnit why did they have to gently caress it? What was the feedback they were getting from the 10 previews that made them sure this path was correct? And with a 640 at $30 who in their right mind would consider a $550 "flagship" with the same stylings as the bargain bin?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DarkMalfunction posted:

They could at least just publish the APIs and let other people do it, of which there are plenty of people willing to do so. (remember 6snap?)

Exactly. Waze was also actively on Windows Phone until Google bought it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I went against the grain and got a 950 because I hate money and my hand me down 1020 isn't in the best condition (after having ditched a 640XL for it). Well, so far I can say that I like the UI and it's fast but the phone feels cheap (not a big deal for me) which is really drat weird for something that cost $600. So far I'm already having some issues, first off the new Store is just for apps developed for Windows 10 it seems because some phone apps I have on my 1020 won't even show up when I search the store. This also means I can't use the "Transfer my Data" app I have on my 1020 since I can't even get it on the 950, also AT&T's Transfer app craps out on the 950 saying it "Lost Network Connection." Now I have to manually dump all of my pictures to the new phone, great. Also it won't connect to the 2.4GHz network at home but it will connect to the 5.0GHz one? Lastly, I tried to log into Facebook to get save data back from a game and the game switches over to the Edge browser to log-in and after doing so the browser doesn't interact with the game to let it know I actually logged in so it's impossible to do so.

Windows Hello owns and works when I have my glasses on which is strange since every review I've seen says it doesn't I don't think you can tap the screen to wake the phone unless this is off by default.

If anyone wants to see some comparison photos between the 1020 and 950 I wouldn't mind taking some.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

For what it's worth with the low build quality for the price of the phones, there is the 'Designed for Microsoft Lumia' program with Mozo and Krusell having been named as "official" case makers for the 950 and 950XL.
http://www.windowscentral.com/designed-for-microsoft-lumia-program-cases

Mozo already has cases for both phones with metal coated sides and leather backs though those will cost you €48.50 or $55. For the price those cases had better nice though I'm not a big fan of the leather. Krussel's offerings look pedestrian by comparison. Hopefully, there will be more variety and options but I'm not giving my hopes up.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Edward IV posted:

For what it's worth with the low build quality for the price of the phones, there is the 'Designed for Microsoft Lumia' program with Mozo and Krusell having been named as "official" case makers for the 950 and 950XL.
http://www.windowscentral.com/designed-for-microsoft-lumia-program-cases

Mozo already has cases for both phones with metal coated sides and leather backs though those will cost you €48.50 or $55. For the price those cases had better nice though I'm not a big fan of the leather. Krussel's offerings look pedestrian by comparison. Hopefully, there will be more variety and options but I'm not giving my hopes up.

Wake me up when they remake the 920 form factor (including weight) with better guts.

quote:

Microsoft offloading the risk of production and distribution to professionals is a good idea and inline with their current program of focusing on what they are good at.

Remind me again?

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 24, 2015

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I went out and got a 950 on Friday to replace my 2 year old 1020.

I like it.

I didn't have any trouble finding the apps I had on my 1020 in the store on my 950, even apps that aren't Windows 10 apps.

Only problem I have is that since my wife and I both got new phones recently, we've gone from having all our devices using micro USB to charge, to now having 3 different cables, micro USB, USB-C, and Lightning. Really throws a wrench in making sure we have all the chargers we need.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is it USB-C on both ends or does it come with a cable that will plug into an older charger?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

WorldWarWonderful posted:

It's the main reason I haven't switched to anything else yet. I was gonna go Android but the new Nexus lineup has no Qi, and I love my little stand. It's sad that it's become the dealbreaker for me.

As a 6p owner who was fully invested in Qi - I have two Tylts and a moto Qi pad - I am confident in saying that as nice as Qi is, it shouldn't be a dealbreaker :)

It sounds superficial, and maybe it is, but USB-C makes all the difference, since it is so drat easy now to just plug the thing in. Apple had the right idea with the Lightning connector.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

bitcoin savant posted:

That is only true for America though, it still does better in the rest of the world. :shrug:

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
As I am an insider for the windows 10 o/s I decided to go insider for win 10 mobile on my Lumia 930 and boy am I glad I did. I love this mobile o/s however I have one query though. What the hell is that little green dot on the keyboard for?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Darth TNT posted:

That is only true for America though, it still does better in the rest of the world. :shrug:

:911: marketers forget about Europe and South Asia for some reason. I've made the case before: porting an app gets you another few percentage points of user growth. For bigger companies, its a low investment, low risk way to pick up free adoption market share.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

As I am an insider for the windows 10 o/s I decided to go insider for win 10 mobile on my Lumia 930 and boy am I glad I did. I love this mobile o/s however I have one query though. What the hell is that little green dot on the keyboard for?

Cursor control, touch and drag in the direction you want the cursor to go. It's pretty drat great, and I've had cases before upgrading where I actually could have really used something like that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Smoke posted:

Cursor control, touch and drag in the direction you want the cursor to go. It's pretty drat great, and I've had cases before upgrading where I actually could have really used something like that.

There used to be a nice way to move the cursor in WP 8.0 by holding down the screen but they removed it in 8.1 for some reason. :S

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Darth TNT posted:

Ah, yes. The European, South American and asian markets where due nature of selling unlocked phones, phone pricing is an even bigger factor. Hence why nokias low end blitz was more effective than the US.

Good thing Microsofts new phones are competitively and realistically priced to keep that market share growing!

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Microsoft knows wm10 is not ready for primetime but felt pressure to get flagships out before the holiday period. Hence they priced it so that only diehards who MIGHT tolerate some bugs would buy it now and plan to aggressively drop the price later when its more complete.

I wonder though what the perception of aggressive price drops are to consumers though. It seems likely that the price drops will be perceived as the phone not selling (true) and thus be used as a reason not to buy it even at cheaper prices

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Flagships don't increase market share and don't make money. Only one company makes money on flagships. Samsung, LG, HTC loose money on flagship phones.

The money and market share is at the middle and bottom end of the market where phones are given away free on the lower priced contracts.

I agree with the fact that flagships don't really make money for most manufactors although i'd need to seem some data on Samsung not making money on flagships. LG, HTC for sure are loosing money like whoa.

A recent erricson study (evaluated by wpcentral here: http://www.windowscentral.com/long-term-effects-microsoft-low-end-push

From this it reports that 80% of android and IOs users stick with the platform when upgrading phones compared to 20% of Windows phone users. From that it seems windows phone users are jumping ship in droves.

It also reports that

quote:

When looking into switching behaviors per device vendor and model series, loyalty varied significantly between low-end and high-end models (irrespective of operating system). Owners of high-end models were much more likely to select a new model in the same series from the same vendor than users of lower-end models.

In essence low end buyers are extremely fickle and are not beholden to a platform. High end buys are more likely to stick with the platform. Unless of course you're platform doesn't release new flagships to buy.

The combination of losing fickle low end buys PLUS losing high end buys due to not having anything to buy is probably why windows phone market share dropped in the US.

A low end push can help grow market share but a flagship presence seems to help keep your users. Right now, Microsoft seems to be failing at both.

p.s. I'm coming from this as someone who really really wants microsot to succeed. I just don't understand what their strategy is trying to accomplish right now.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

Is it USB-C on both ends or does it come with a cable that will plug into an older charger?

The 950 at AT&T comes with a USB A to USB C cable, as well as a hardwired wall charger. So, if you've got an older charger, you effectively get two ways to charge the phone in the box.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The 950 at AT&T comes with a USB A to USB C cable, as well as a hardwired wall charger. So, if you've got an older charger, you effectively get two ways to charge the phone in the box.

Cool. is it dual SIM?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Windows Hello keeps getting blocked on my phone because of my wireless charger. They should really differentiate between waking up via the power button vs waking up because the phone started charging. Or at least something so that using my wireless charger repeatedly won't keep blocking Windows Hello.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlesM posted:

Cool. is it dual SIM?

No, according to MS' site the Dual SIM version isn't out yet. Unless the other sim goes under the battery and I missed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

s.i.r.e. posted:

Unless the other sim goes under the battery and I missed it?
I just pulled my battery out to check. Definitely only space for one SIM.