Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

klen dool posted:

Goddamn I am utterly sick of rugby. It's inescapable. A team wins a game, a guy retires from his job, a man dies unexpectedly, a flag needs changing and somehow the allblacks are referenced, a prime minister goes overseas to ostensibly engage in trade talks but ends up at a rugby game.

When Honi Hirorewa spent a couple days in Paris after going overseas he was racked over the coals!

I feel as bad for Jonah's family as I do for anyone else who've had a family member die, and the recent coverage of his passing is probably warranted since he was a public figure, and watching youtube videos of him just running through people like they weren't even there is really impressive, but gently caress I hate rugby.

And now I've contributed to the rugby overload. poo poo.

Unfortunately there's literally nothing else interesting in this god forsaken shitcountry so, yeah. The Ruggers M8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
I dunno about that.
Over the weekend I went to a 24 movie marathon and watched some weird hosed up films, it was pretty cool. The arts festival next year looks pretty great too: The James Plays, Nixon in China, a loving fire garden! Le1f and Kate Tempest are touring here in the coming months, they'll be interesting as gently caress.

But I guess if you don't get out amongst it, then you'd forgiven thinking that the whole country revolves around rugby, flags, burgers and the block.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

premium news content
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11550261&ref=NZH_FBpage

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
gently caress, I always suspected the Chinese were behind it all, all the pieces are coming together...

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

http://www.watchme.co.nz/like-mike/

Jeremy Wells 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I still have difficulty believing it's not Mike.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

If only there were a checkbox on the referendum to say "gently caress all these flags"

:(

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Anticheese posted:

If only there were a checkbox on the referendum to say "gently caress all these flags"

:(

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was polite about it. "gently caress No Please".

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Can i vote for the gently caress Off flag?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The "gently caress off" group should really be writing "I'm fine with whichever one of these wins" because that's the outcome of what they're doing :)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Well they're theoretically going to vote "No" in the next referendum so it doesn't really matter which one of them does win from their perspective.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

fong posted:

The "gently caress off" group should really be writing "I'm fine with whichever one of these wins" because that's the outcome of what they're doing :)

Yeah, I understand the sentiment but this is pretty much it. I would really like it if one of the less bad ones wins, guys. :(

Ghostlight posted:

Well they're theoretically going to vote "No" in the next referendum so it doesn't really matter which one of them does win from their perspective.

Yeah, that. :(
I'm gonna be so conflicted when one of the ferns inevitably gets through.

If our current flag was listed on there I'd rank it higher than the ferns but lower than the other two. If you think about it it's basically like the Lockwood flags, they've just replaced the British Motherland with All Blacks.

Are there any chances Red Peak will win this vote? Or are the National voters all gonna vote for JK's fave?

Laverna fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 24, 2015

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

TV poll says 65% want to keep the current fleg.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I want to get rid of the current flag, but I want it to be subsequent to getting rid of the British not winning world sportsball.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Spoiled ballots are going to be counted as part of the result, so that's one reason for doing it.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

fartmanteau posted:

TV poll says 65% want to keep the current fleg.

I don't understand the arguments I've seen people use to keep the current flag.
We've barely had it for a 100 years, so there isn't the huge connection that people seem to be making it out to be.
Changing the flag won't mean that we have no laws anymore, that's a pretty stupid one.

Were there any others?
I mean, if they find it visually appealing or really, really like the union jack then sure.

I'm actually curious on this, not trying to be a snot. Not many people seem to share my opinion on the flag and I can't figure out if it's because they actually like it or just a knee-jerk reaction to John Key.
(My dad's pretty anti-flag change but thinks that this failure will give people the idea to kick off a flag change proposal on their own terms. I'm a bit more cynical.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's cause all the alternatives are poo poo. The debate on the merits or otherwise of the current flag died the moment the finalists were announced; after that point it became a simple matter of you get the current flag or a huge piece of poo poo flag. I was pretty pro-flag change prior to all this but the way it's been conducted, the reasons for instigating it and the candidates put forth have put me off entirely.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The arguments for a flag change are equally, if not more, incoherent and lacking in any real substance or conviction.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Slavvy posted:

It's cause all the alternatives are poo poo. The debate on the merits or otherwise of the current flag died the moment the finalists were announced; after that point it became a simple matter of you get the current flag or a huge piece of poo poo flag. I was pretty pro-flag change prior to all this but the way it's been conducted, the reasons for instigating it and the candidates put forth have put me off entirely.

That's got me pretty conflicted, to be fair. When the options are poo poo flag vs poo poo flag it kind of makes you wish there was an option to abolish flag completely.

We can just wave around a piece of cloth with "New Zealand" written on it from now on.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Thinking of transcribing this tweet to my ballot to give the vote counters a chuckle

https://twitter.com/dril/status/171450835388203008?lang=en

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I think it's also just a simple aversion to change. I've seen a lot of 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' comments, despite the attempts to explain the problems with our current one. People grew up with this flag, it was good enough for them, let's keep it.

The first 4 alternatives are awful, and I'm actually into red peak, but I think it's highly unlikely for a flag to emerge from that process that is supported by a majority of Kiwis. The only existing flag that I could imagine getting across the line would be a straight up All Blacks flag.

The Lockwood designs are riding entirely on familiarity and are popular because of that. They're not so much a change as a tweak. There's no real passion drawn from those designs though.

Red peak has passion, but it's also 'new' and wrong to many. I don't like it's chances of making it through the first round.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

spanky the dolphin posted:

I think it's also just a simple aversion to change. I've seen a lot of 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' comments, despite the attempts to explain the problems with our current one. People grew up with this flag, it was good enough for them, let's keep it.

The first 4 alternatives are awful, and I'm actually into red peak, but I think it's highly unlikely for a flag to emerge from that process that is supported by a majority of Kiwis. The only existing flag that I could imagine getting across the line would be a straight up All Blacks flag.

The Lockwood designs are riding entirely on familiarity and are popular because of that. They're not so much a change as a tweak. There's no real passion drawn from those designs though.

Red peak has passion, but it's also 'new' and wrong to many. I don't like it's chances of making it through the first round.

I used to be totally for the All Blacks flag. We're familiar with it, it's already everywhere (including on our passports) and it doesn't look bad. I was pretty surprised that it never ended up being an option.
But these ones we've ended up with have kind of soured me towards ferns.
100% agree on the Lockwoods. For people who want change they're a huge disappointment, but I guess for people who want familiarity they're comfortable. (But then why change it at all?)
Oh, I think I get it now.

I can't comprehend how anyone thought any of those final 4 flags was a good idea. Red Peak I understand because of how they got the idea of it and the intent behind it, but the others nothing.

I always imagined the final options being something like All Blacks, Hundertwasser, the Maori Flag and then a couple of entirely new designs created by people passionate about a new flag (eg, Red Peak). All something that actually has meaning to our country and could represent it. Compared to that what we have on offer is cheap trash.

Sorry for hogging the thread with my rants. It's 2 in am so I'll stop now.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

All the silver fern flags leave me feeling weird. We put that poo poo on meat exports and our rugby team, not the way we represent ourselves as a nation instead of a protein export business.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

For me, I picture of having a silver fern on a black background as a flag and it's like, "what, are we a bunch of loving pirates?"

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Laverna posted:

That's got me pretty conflicted, to be fair. When the options are poo poo flag vs poo poo flag it kind of makes you wish there was an option to abolish flag completely.

We can just wave around a piece of cloth with "New Zealand" written on it from now on.

It's tyool 2015. Can't we have a national gif instead?

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Laverna posted:

I can't comprehend how anyone thought any of those final 4 flags was a good idea. Red Peak I understand because of how they got the idea of it and the intent behind it, but the others nothing.

Yeah this is the big mystery for me. I would love to have the transcripts of those panel meetings to see what the hell happened. FYI your expected flags you listed weren't allowed by whoever held the rights to them.

It looks to me like the panels decision wasn't arrived at organically by reviewing all the options but was influenced both internally and externally. Note in that link how Key was already saying his preferred option was the red / blue Lockwood flag before the process even started. I do want to know why they chose two identical Lockwoods - pretty outlandish of them.

The ugly as hell black and white fern is a continuation of the Brand New Zealand campaign that has been ongoing for years.

The koru that was selected looks token and so dull it's like you're just meant to skip it entirely and go straight for the fern.

Vagabundo posted:

For me, I picture of having a silver fern on a black background as a flag and it's like, "what, are we a bunch of loving pirates?"

Key was into the silver fern on black (another Lockwood variant) until John Oliver said it looked like the ISIS flag, then he went for the red / blue. The B&W really would look like a pirate flag if it were on a distant boat though. Poor flag design.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the consultation process was like 2 hours where they got a sports product designer to look at the flags. that was it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The process was just a shambles. Key starts the whole thing off when it there was no demand for it, and prejudices the panel and submissions right off the bat by saying he wants a fern. They spend god knows how much on the Stand For campaign, to try and figure out what values a new flag should communicate, and then ignore them and go with kiwiana bullshit. The panel didn't have any artists or designers (it did have two people with a conflict of interest with one of the finalists tho!) and had a single meeting with DINZ, which recommended simple, abstract, designs. The justification for ignoring that advice was that the mouthbreathers who actually attended the public meetings had trouble with abstraction. Then the final four are revealed, with two identical designs l m a o.

and that's not to mention all the grotesque politicking from the anti-change and pro-fern camps about Are Brave Dead Soldiers, i.e. people who were conscripted and certainly didn't have the flag in their top 10 reasons for fighting :thumbsup:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Laverna posted:

I don't understand the arguments I've seen people use to keep the current flag.
We've barely had it for a 100 years, so there isn't the huge connection that people seem to be making it out to be.
Changing the flag won't mean that we have no laws anymore, that's a pretty stupid one.

Were there any others?
I mean, if they find it visually appealing or really, really like the union jack then sure.

I'm actually curious on this, not trying to be a snot. Not many people seem to share my opinion on the flag and I can't figure out if it's because they actually like it or just a knee-jerk reaction to John Key.
(My dad's pretty anti-flag change but thinks that this failure will give people the idea to kick off a flag change proposal on their own terms. I'm a bit more cynical.)

Because a stupid retard wants to change it to put himself in the history books, not because we've done anything deserving of having our national identity changed.

That's why people don't want to change it.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Because a stupid retard wants to change it to put himself in the history books, not because we've done anything deserving of having our national identity changed.

That's why people don't want to change it.

This, and there's no benefit to changing it

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It'd make John Key happy. That's justification enough not to give him his new flag, IMO

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Change the flag to someone decapitating a caricature of John Key, and include all his personal information and Google search history as a background.

I mean, he said he wanted the flag changed, right?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/74282570/Electoral-Commission-warns-Kiwis-against-sharing-photos-of-flag-voting-papers

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11548398

I'm pretty sure his ranking matches internal polling lol

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Kinda posted already I know, but seriously, Jeremy Wells and the Back of the Y guys have a new web series called Stuntline.

"The country's first stunt-based news and current affairs show hosted by New Zealand’s premiere dare devil stuntman, Randy Cambell."

http://www.watchme.co.nz/stunt-line/

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The greatest thing would be if history books 150 years from now said " The Key Government is best remembered for the unpopular 2015 New Zealand flag, which was replaced in 2018 after a groundswell in popular opinion the revolution."

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Anticheese posted:

All the silver fern flags leave me feeling weird. We put that poo poo on meat exports and our rugby team, not the way we represent ourselves as a nation instead of a protein export business.

NZ is just a (failing) protein export business. Hth.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

I'm voting for Red Peak first, then inverting Key's list.

If Red Peak doesn't win this stage then I'll vote to keep our current one.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm going to rank them the same as ol' John since it doesn't loving matter how anyone votes because the flag isn't changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The goal is not to change the flag. It's to indirectly insult John Key.

• Locked thread