Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Hazdoc posted:

If you're in a CA in ranked, your first order of business is to kill DDs if they are spotted and in range. If that is not possible, manuevering into a better position to cover your DDs and murder enemy DDs. Once that is achieved, kill enemy CAs, then BBs if none are left. Once all enemy DDs are dead prioritize low health enemies that can threaten your team, then the most threatening enemies, then whoever is left.

If you're a BB, prioritize dealing damage to enemy CAs. If a DD comes close and you're confident you can hit it, go for it, but often you'll just miss when you could have put that AP into something with a citadel instead. Shooting hostile BBs should only occur if one gets low, or puts itself in a terrible position, or if all enemy CAs are being evasive while the BBs expose broadsides. Don't eat torps like a chump.

If you're a RUS DD, kill enemy DDs and cap. If you're a US DD, kill IJN DDs and try to force a close range fight with a RUS DD, as you'll be at a disadvantage in a ranged battle with a RUS DD. Torpedo things once caps are secured and enemy DDs are dead or otherwise no longer a threat. IJN DDs cap and torpedo any target that looks good. If you have CAs nearby and the enemy doesn't, you can pop in and try to light up a hostile DD you know is nearby, for a quick execution by your friendly CAs. Not dying, however, is the primary directive for a DD.

*scribbles down notes*

I am still pretty new to this game, and I'm getting my rear end kicked pretty regularly in ranked matches. I'm doing well in Random Battles, but can't rank up in Ranked.

And for the love of all things godly, is it just me or are carriers next to loving useless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Carriers are much more skill reliant than other ships, and the lower tiered carriers aren't terribly powerful. A good CV can still wreak havoc, and they grow in power as you go up in tiers. At T9-10, they're very dominating, and often dictate the flow of a match, though they've lost a bit of their luster due to a number of nerfs. They still are good, but you need to learn how to use them.

Or don't, because Sky Cancer is still sky cancer.

New video, of the incredible 2v5 turnaround.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwkBjdhoKuQ
NEVER LOSE HOPE

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

6 kill game in Ibuki do you think my team could maybe win? Lol yeah right

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
is the DD hitbox just one big engine zone? i swear to god i get immobilized by every goddamn shot that hits me

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

is the DD hitbox just one big engine zone? i swear to god i get immobilized by every goddamn shot that hits me

Well since DDs are so small, the HE AoE is very likely to hit the engine or the rudder (or both, hey!), especially because HE shells almost always pen DDs. This is why Last Stand is so useful on DDs.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Use this code for a premium day and five of each flag: WOWSALIENWARE

I'm loving the Fuso so far. Blapping some idiot Omaha for a triple citadel when they come up broadside to you is a big laugh.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

hungry_bear_grr posted:

I'm loving the Fuso so far. Blapping some idiot Omaha for a triple citadel when they come up broadside to you is a big laugh.

Hey thanks for posting that code beats a sharp stick in the eye

And yes basically the entire lower hull of most DDs are engine spaces

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

After hopping online with my Kongo against a whole load of Tier VIIs I feel like I had a really obvious epiphany - I'm supposed to be shooting at cruisers, aren't I?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cobbsprite posted:

And for the love of all things godly, is it just me or are carriers next to loving useless?

It really depends on how skilled the enemy team CV is.

Had a match yesterday in my Langley where I was able to send my first fighter squadron against the enemy carrier's planes and shoot them all down (all fighter and bomber squadrons) since they never had their squads hang out near their ally DD ships that would help them out.

From there it was a matter of just sending out my bombers and killing any ship I wanted because the automated AA never seems to be able to take out a bomber squad before the torps are dropped.

Probably the best match I've had in babby's first carrier. Hoping the next tier carrier is better though because holy poo poo it's easy to get clobbered in the Langley if you're ever spotted.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

hungry_bear_grr posted:

Does this code work in Europe?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Yes, it does.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Wade Wilson posted:

Probably the best match I've had in babby's first carrier. Hoping the next tier carrier is better though because holy poo poo it's easy to get clobbered in the Langley if you're ever spotted.

hahahaha well I hope you're ready to be disappointed then because the bogue is hot garbage

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Yes, it does.
Not any more apparently.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
Looks like it's disabled in NA, too.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Humbaba posted:

Balls :(

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Humbaba posted:

I got use out of it, so it wasn't this morning.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

If it is an IJN I remember them being disabled both engine and steering then a good dose of gently caress you when you burst into flames.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Well, this ranked grind sure has gotten me almost to a Fletcher. Rank 6 two stars... just a bit more effort and I'll be at Rank 5 and collect a new flag.

UGHHHHHHHHHH
It hurts when you do well and your team fucks it up, but sometimes you just make magic happen:

Edit: Rank 5 obtained, and a shiny new flag to go with it. Now for the grind to Rank 1. MM has once again dried up, ugh.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 25, 2015

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Hazdoc posted:

Well, this ranked grind sure has gotten me almost to a Fletcher. Rank 6 two stars... just a bit more effort and I'll be at Rank 5 and collect a new flag.

UGHHHHHHHHHH
It hurts when you do well and your team fucks it up, but sometimes you just make magic happen:

Edit: Rank 5 obtained, and a shiny new flag to go with it. Now for the grind to Rank 1. MM has once again dried up, ugh.

It seems that every game I do fantastic in my team loses, any game that I die early, my team wins. I don't know what to chalk this up as, but there is no skill in ranked battles.
I wish they'd let you pick your team, and then the real competition could begin.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
trying to complete the carrier damage portion of the aircraft carrier mission is sapping my will to live. the bogue does not have enough firepower unless you take the all strike-plane config and then your planes just get shot down

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

jownzy posted:

It seems that every game I do fantastic in my team loses, any game that I die early, my team wins. I don't know what to chalk this up as, but there is no skill in ranked battles.
I wish they'd let you pick your team, and then the real competition could begin.

If you can maintain even just a 50% winrate in Ranked, you'll climb eventually. You gain a star every time you rank up, so if you hit, say, Rank 9, then lose 2, you'll be demoted back to Rank 10 3 stars, then you only need one win to be back at Rank 9 1 star again. Of course, having a better than 50% winrate accelerates the climb, so you spend less time waiting for matches and more time enjoying your beautiful new flags.

It'd be nice if you got a bonus star for being on a winning streak, though. I could use the extra stars, cuz the wait for a Rank 5-1 match is horrendous.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I upgraded to a Minekaze and was all disappointed in the stats. On paper it looked like a serious downgrade. Then I played it and got 2000 xp my first game. What a fun little greyhound. I finally get why people play IJN.

Also, this happened in a 7v7:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Hazdoc posted:

It'd be nice if you got a bonus star for being on a winning streak, though. I could use the extra stars, cuz the wait for a Rank 5-1 match is horrendous.

Yep, I'm slogging away. I've somehow made it to rank 6, when my perception is that all I'm doing is losing. I think it's just coming to grips with the fact that there is very little you can do to win the game when your team doesn't know how to play.

New queue for rank 5 and up? That's disappointing, I was really happy with how quick the rank 10 games were starting.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Feel like I'm finally getting the hang of the Battleship. Took my Wyoming into Rando and punished the other team. Six citadel hits, four ships killed, and another one beat to poo poo before someone else polished it off. Hell yeah, Battleships aren't shabby once you get the hang of them.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MrKatharsis posted:

I upgraded to a Minekaze and was all disappointed in the stats. On paper it looked like a serious downgrade. Then I played it and got 2000 xp my first game. What a fun little greyhound. I finally get why people play IJN.

Also, this happened in a 7v7:

Savor this moment. IJN DDs go downhill from here, imo.

Got to rank 10 with my Farragut. Only other ship higher is my Hatsuharu, which I quickly ended a 8 game winning streak.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

I think I might just have to quit ranked. It's not even worth the rewards.

I've gone from two stars in rank 6 all the way back to eight, my last three teams have yet to kill a ship.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ReapersTouch posted:

Savor this moment. IJN DDs go downhill from here, imo.

Got to rank 10 with my Farragut. Only other ship higher is my Hatsuharu, which I quickly ended a 8 game winning streak.

The IJN DDs aren't terribly strong in Ranked atm. The Benson has a higher concealment, and they cannot duel enemy DDs at all. Also, there's usually only 2 BBs per team, reducing the pool of fresh targets.
You can still get off good torpedo salvoes, its just that only the Fubuki is really going to make the difference, not a dinky Hatsuharu. Less concealment AND less torps than a Benson, with similar range. And significantly worse guns and less speed.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Since USSR DDs came out, I lost the urge to play any other DD (i.e. IJN). The reward of stealth torping is reaped too rarely and with too little impact to really make the IJN line enjoyable.

Hazdoc posted:

If you're in a CA in ranked ... Not dying, however, is the primary directive for a DD.

A Good Post.

Just to add if you play CVs in ranked (lol), it's almost never worth returning your planes from the first wave. Let them die quick deaths so you can send a second wave ASAP and gain the HP advantage.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

trying to complete the carrier damage portion of the aircraft carrier mission is sapping my will to live. the bogue does not have enough firepower unless you take the all strike-plane config and then your planes just get shot down

As soon as I saw that mission I promised myself I would not try to complete it. I only played like two games in a Hosho and sold it. Just not for me, and I know it would only cause me heartache if I tried to grind up to a Tier 5 and then finish that mission.

I appreciate that mission might have the (probably unintended by wargaming) side effect of encouraging CV captains to actually try to sink one another and not do that bullshit where they agree to ignore red carriers, but gently caress sky cancer regardless.

When you play ranked are the other players the same rank as you or is there a range like with ship tiers?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Out of my various tear 8 ships. Mogami seems the one to do best in ranked.

Likely because currently the 10 and below matches are swarming with DD's and there's nothing like a Mogami for slaughtering DD's

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

As soon as I saw that mission I promised myself I would not try to complete it. I only played like two games in a Hosho and sold it. Just not for me, and I know it would only cause me heartache if I tried to grind up to a Tier 5 and then finish that mission.

I appreciate that mission might have the (probably unintended by wargaming) side effect of encouraging CV captains to actually try to sink one another and not do that bullshit where they agree to ignore red carriers, but gently caress sky cancer regardless.

When you play ranked are the other players the same rank as you or is there a range like with ship tiers?

I have basically never seen this happen for a long time now. Not that CVs necessarily immediately go after the enemy one(s), but I've never seen some gentleman's agreement reached or anything, just people choosing to go after softer targets than the one way in the very back.

Honestly the biggest impact of the challenges has probably been on cruisers, due to the bloody 100 plane kills portion of their mission. Had one mission lost because a division of two Clevelands decided to cluster around an inactive Tirpitz whining into open chat that the enemy CV should send planes their way - shockingly it never did, and I ended the match with around double the kills of both of them combined. It was especially dryly amusing as I'd called them out on it when they and the Tirpitz finally started moving, along with a few other cowering ships, along the very western edge of the map on Domination contributing nothing, and they proceeded to flat out state that they didn't care about winning, just plane kills. On another map, when I was in my Hiryu working on the CV challenge, sinking the enemy CV became difficult because around three enemy cruisers decided to cluster around it hoping to get plane kills. Not being stupid, I simply gave up after one attempt and started harassing the basically unprotected battleships - yes, we won.

Having finished all four challenges now, I will say the the plane one was probably the most tedious but, at the same time, still perfectly obtainable just through regular play, and thus doesn't require abandoning your team to go be an idiot.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
yea i don't understand why people would alter their playstyle in the cleveland just for plane kills. the thing just swats planes out of the sky like nothing else so if you just play normally you'll get the splashes eventually

and ive done 100k/300k damage to carriers so i might as well just press on and try to finish it

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

yea i don't understand why people would alter their playstyle in the cleveland just for plane kills. the thing just swats planes out of the sky like nothing else so if you just play normally you'll get the splashes eventually

and ive done 100k/300k damage to carriers so i might as well just press on and try to finish it

I find the best way to get plane kills in a Cleveland is aggressively go after the carrier. Usually as soon as ive managed to finally land one or two of the 80 shots I fire at 17+km range, a lot of (bad) players will send everything they have after you.

Otherwise just keep playing until you get a game where the other side has like a Bogue and a Langley and you will probably get 20+ splashes without even trying.

Humbaba
Aug 4, 2006
I'm really enjoying destroyers with a Wickes/Isokaze. I fully intend to get the Minekaze, but after that I don't have an issue switching to other nations. I was thinking US in order to more easily win destroyer duels, but would Russian make more sense?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Blinks77 posted:

Out of my various tear 8 ships. Mogami seems the one to do best in ranked.

Likely because currently the 10 and below matches are swarming with DD's and there's nothing like a Mogami for slaughtering DD's
As I play more and more ranked matches, it seems the best course of action is for CAs to simply avoid engaging BBs at any sort of angle whatsoever. Many of the people who hit Rank 10 this quickly are generally decent shots and can citadel you quite easily, especially with the Amagi's guns. The Mogami is indeed a very good ship for ranked, though, being able to sling HE onto BBs that otherwise may take negligible damage from CAs, while HEing evasive CAs and wrecking the poo poo out of any DD that shows its face. The momentum in a match is often dictated by who has torpedo capable DDs left alive, as they can greatly threaten BBs and make approaching a cap blind extremely dangerous... unless the map is Ocean, but then gently caress OCEAN WHY IS THIS poo poo MAP IN RANKED ROTATION

Since the queues are so long, you can default equip Hydroacoustic Search, then leave queue and load up defensive fire if you see 2+ carriers in queue. Super cheesy but GET GUD SCRUB

Also, finally finished working on the New Mexico. And what a sendoff my New Mexico captain has in his final match.

I will be keeping the boat, of course, but I'll need a new captain for it, as I'm moving the trained up one up to the Colorado.

Edit:
Also, if you ARE doing Ranked, please be sure to purchase all the upgraded versions of your modules (Damage Control 2, Repair Party 2, Smoke 2, etc), and purchase dispersion or concealment camo. DDs require the Detonation flag, though its good for other ships too, along with whatever other flags you want. BBs may want the fire duration flag, for instance. Make sure your ship is fully modded and has all the upgrades you want, and your captain is retrained completely. If you're willing to go for it, consider 500 gold retraining a higher leveled captain down if you have one. If I was going to use a Fubuki for ranked, I'd be using my Kagero captain for it, with Concealment Expert.

Boost your own effectiveness, since the only person you can really rely on to hit their shots and not die is you. You never know when not equipping that Detonation flag will end up with you losing a Ranked match from a single errant torpedo... :getin:

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 26, 2015

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Im just speculating here, but I didnt do my 1.5xs tonight in hopes that tomorrow (on NA anyways) will have a better multiplier for Thanksgiving. Also I imagine they may have specials on ships and doubloons on Friday.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lakedaimon posted:

Im just speculating here, but I didnt do my 1.5xs tonight in hopes that tomorrow (on NA anyways) will have a better multiplier for Thanksgiving. Also I imagine they may have specials on ships and doubloons on Friday.

I believe its already been confirmed that the Warspite is going back on sale for black friday, and the Imperator Nikolai or however you spell it (the T4 RUS BB). Don't know what else. Kitakami? PLEASE? KITAKAMI?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
ironically enough the carrier damage mission got a lot easier when i tried using the langley config on the bogue (1 fighter 1 torp), lol

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

i got it pretty quickly (also re-bought bogue) just going yolo first strike and causing the loss for my team :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

:negative: