Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

greatn posted:

Basically white guys are allowed to intimidate and yell at black people, and if the black person yells back or makes any move that can be perceived as aggression, the white guy can shoot him and proooooooobably get off on self defense. If there's video evidence even better since endless defenders of truth on the internet will say "look here where the protestor's foot is moving forward and he raises his shoulders in an aggressive stance". Etc

i doubt it, If they were wearing tac-gear and had guns on them, it show premeditation. they were looking to start poo poo and justify shooting a bunch "animals". these dudes will get prison time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Shifty Pony posted:

This is quite bad. Those radar records sure as hell better show that the jet was over Turkey or it is going to be even worse.

radar records from Ankara show that it was violating Turkish airspace, and the pilot was warned three times.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

blue squares posted:

Uh, no? Talk about racism needs to include everyone. If your statement is "As a white woman, I think I have it worse than all blacks," then sure that's wrong, but white people, black people, brown people, etc., all need to talk about the issues. In practice white people usually suck at this and get in the way, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Using your anecdotal experience as a sheltered white person who "just doesn't see racism" to make definitive statements on race doesn't lend credence to what you're about to say.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

The Iron Rose posted:

radar records from Ankara show that it was violating Turkish airspace, and the pilot was warned three times.

MSNBC has ten warnings in a five minute window.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I interpreted that statement as 'as a white person, I don't see racism, because I am almost blind to it', not 'as a white person, I don't see racism, because it doesn't exist'. It wouldn't make sense to preface with the whiteness otherwise.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Raerlynn posted:

MSNBC has ten warnings in a five minute window.

well then there you go, I hadn't updated my information quite yet.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i doubt it, If they were wearing tac-gear and had guns on them, it show premeditation. they were looking to start poo poo and justify shooting a bunch "animals". these dudes will get prison time.

If it's true that the protestors punched one of the shooters and then a group of people chased them down the street before they turned and shot then they might not get prison time.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
This wouldn't have happened if we just let Russia into NATO already.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Why a multi-national no fly zone won't work dot jpg.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Good Citizen posted:

If it's true that the protestors punched one of the shooters and then a group of people chased them down the street before they turned and shot then they might not get prison time.

Turning and shooting while running away and you are still capable of escaping invalidates any form of self defense.

Assuming everyone is treated the same regardless of skin color of course.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
How are you going to eat the rich if you can't shoot them first?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The shooter will probably get off scott free if that youtube video is to be believed. Twitter is dogshit for facts I don't know why you people even gotta post be posting bs twitter rumors all the time.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Using your anecdotal experience as a sheltered white person who "just doesn't see racism" to make definitive statements on race doesn't lend credence to what you're about to say.

What does that have to do with what I posted?

edit: I missed the discussion you were responding to, but I was trying to make a more general point about your claim that "As a white woman" invalidates your opinions on race.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 24, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

If I said "Gold is valuable," would the most straightforward understanding of that be that I think only gold is valuable and nothing else is? I guess it would be, if my name were Ron Paul, but I don't think that's the first thing most people would assume. Countering "black lives matter" with "all lives matter" requires a deliberate misunderstanding of ordinary language. Once you've moved into that territory there's really nothing you can say that people won't do the same with.

The gotcha with this analogy is that, by merely pointing out "gold is valuable", you are (supposedly) implying that gold is extraordinarily valuable compared to other metals/commodities, thereby rendering yourself a Paulite.

It is a rather clever ploy by the Right because the implicit notion is that, if nobody points it out, all lives are equal already and no injustice really existed in the first place. But, by making the claim
"Black Lives Matter," you are supposedly elevating black lives over others in a pseudo-Animal Farm "some are more equal than others" kind of logic.

It's clever because it forces the mainstream discourse to start from that logic AND it gets to shut up complaints from minorities because otherwise they are (drumroll) the real racists for stirring up trouble. It takes the driver's seat of the narrative away from BLM.

It's literally that The Onion "before/after we talk about racism in America" political cartoon.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 24, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Joementum posted:

Why a multi-national no fly zone won't work dot jpg.

Ah, "I'm not touching you!" but on the international stage.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Good Citizen posted:

Not every state has a stand your ground law.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doesn't sound like saber rattling, I don't think we're about to spark WWIII

Also, almost half of all Americans think racism is "a big problem", which is actually way more than usual.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Ah, "I'm not touching you!" but on the international stage.
I've often wondered why so much of international politics is behavior that would be a little embarrassing even for a five year old.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

zoux posted:

Also, almost half of all Americans think racism is "a big problem", which is actually way more than usual.
I wonder how much of the respondents replied that way predominantly because of a perceived high level of black-on-white racism.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The Larch posted:

That doesn't matter if the shooter felt like he couldn't get away.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

zoux posted:

They probably committed the classic blunder of not asking white people whether they mean racism against white people when they say racism is a problem.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Nah, he'll just cut off Turkey's gas access and they'll lose out on the contract for their new nuclear plant. Nothing Erdrogan wasn't threatening to do before.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Or a sociology class concerning race, class, and privilege. :eng101:

I would also agree with this.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

The Larch posted:

Yeah not sure an explicit stand your ground law is necessary to let them off in the American justice system if the statements in that YouTube video are to be believed (who can tell at this point?).

I mean maybe they hit a telegenic 8 year old? Maybe then.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, he'll just cut off Turkey's gas access and they'll lose out on the contract for their new nuclear plant. Nothing Erdrogan wasn't threatening to do before.

Nah. There'll be some yelling through diplomatic channels, but nothing substantial will come out of it. Turkey has the ultimate trump card of saying, "gently caress you, your ships are banned from passing through the Dardanelles." This will all be forgotten by springtime and Russian pilots will be super-careful in the future to stay away from the Turkish border.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

blue squares posted:

What does that have to do with what I posted?

edit: I missed the discussion you were responding to, but I was trying to make a more general point about your claim that "As a white woman" invalidates your opinions on race.

I understand and I don't disagree with your notion, I was replying to the prof's statement in context. It helps to check the context of what you're replying to first, I made the mistake of not doing that and got a probation for it. :v:

To be perfectly clear, I agree people of all races/ethnicities can and should discuss issues of race. However, there are a number of (especially) white people who, despite having really privileged and sheltered upbringings, feel compelled to do some 'blacksplaining' on how race really works in America even though they are totally unqualified to make commentary.

You know the kind of people I'm talking about.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 24, 2015

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've often wondered why so much of international politics is behavior that would be a little embarrassing even for a five year old.

I don't think that's what was happening though...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nah. There'll be some yelling through diplomatic channels, but nothing substantial will come out of it. Turkey has the ultimate trump card of saying, "gently caress you, your ships are banned from passing through the Dardanelles." This will all be forgotten by springtime and Russian pilots will be super-careful in the future to stay away from the Turkish border.

Basically, that's what I meant. Nothing will happen.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Maybe if they think "racism against whites" is a problem

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Samurai Sanders posted:

7000 languages spoken across 197 nations, it makes sense we have to resort to the base languages of infancy that we all understand.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New Quinnipac Iowa poll has Trump at 25, Cruz at 23 and Carson at 18.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Dardanelles are an international waterway so closing them to Russia would be, if not an act of war, close to it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

New Quinnipac Iowa poll has Trump at 25, Cruz at 23 and Carson at 18.

I've been saying for weeks that Cruz is well-positioned to make a big surge if/when Carson and Trump collapse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've been saying for weeks that Cruz is well-positioned to make a big surge if/when Carson and Trump collapse.

I'm sure he's pouring money into Iowa right now, his national numbers are barely double digits.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What's really dumb about all this is that the phrase "black lives matter" is supposed to be followed with "...as much as white lives do."

That's it. That's what it is supposed to be. It is totally reasonable and just.

(Unless, of course, you're a bigoted racist who wants to keep jackboots firmly planted on the heads and mouths of minorities to keep them from complaining about oppression and inequality).

But, because of the nature of sound bytes and hashtags, that important explicit bold stated candid second half gets lopped, leaving right wing pundits and commentators to co-opt the BLM to their own interpretation, thereby taking over the mainstream narrative and running circles around the BLM movement.

Unfortunately, I don't think the BLM organizers took that possibility into account, just striking on the racial injustice impetus and protesting instead of doing additional strategic political/media/rhetorical planning and maneuvering to shield their flanks.

tl;dr: Context is a helluva drug (to manipulate discourse with).

You missed a step:

Pushed up against the wall, what follows is the BLM reaction to the media manipulation,, with many groups responding somewhat incoherently ("do all lives matter or do black lives matter?"), some refusing to respond at all thus making themselves look bad ("that is not the point!"), and a few groups/individuals getting more radicalized and actually starting to claim that the lives of People of Color and other minorities are more important than the lives of white people.

These handful of radicalized groups THEN get EXCLUSIVE media attention, crowding out civil rights protesters in the media narrative and suddenly everybody and their grandmother think BLM is a Black Supremacy Movement that wants to legally privilege Blacks over Whites, which nobody in their right minds has any idea how to respond to without compromising the movement's momentum and suddenly, whelp, everything's gone to poo poo and I don't know what the gently caress is going to happen now.

Fox Ironic fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 24, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Cruz scares me in a General more than either Trump or Carson, because while he's a slimy piece of poo poo with the most punchable face in the world he's smart and knows how to work the system.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Cruz scares me in a General more than either Trump or Carson, because while he's a slimy piece of poo poo with the most punchable face in the world he's smart and knows how to work the system.

He's got sky high negatives outside of the Tea Party and everyone on both sides of the aisle hates his guts.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Cruz can raise money. There's no evidence he's good at much else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JT Jag posted:

There's not much proof he can actually work with people, which is what "work the system" usually means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

pathetic little tramp posted:

7000 languages spoken across 197 nations, it makes sense we have to resort to the base languages of infancy that we all understand.

This is exactly what Skull Face wanted! :argh:

• Locked thread