Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

taser rates posted:

If you can find it, Arkwright has a very cool supply and demand mechanism with shipping contracts. Container is awesome as well like mentioned, but even harder to find.

Economics games are in short supply, how woefully ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

taser rates posted:

If you can find it, Arkwright has a very cool supply and demand mechanism with shipping contracts.

Spielworxx release their games in runs of 1000 and never do second prints. The only way you're going to find Arkwright is if a publisher picks it up for a second print run. Spielworxx were hopeful that Stronghold Games would due to the number of awards it got, but four hour superheavies with hundreds of components are not their usual fare.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Power grid has supply and demand but I don't think it's very interesting.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

cenotaph posted:

Power grid has supply and demand but I don't think it's very interesting.

Power Grid seems painfully dull to me, I feel like I must be missing something given how often I've heard its name come up before but yeah, two hours of snoozeville.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

It's got a nice little mix of (very light) supply/demand, some auctioning, decent engine-building and investment strategy, and actually has very simple rules and plays very smoothly for the amount of strategy it's got. That said, the market is very abstracted though functional and it's extremely math-y with some artificial pacing to let the game flow better when it comes to the stages (which means things can get weird with respect to trying to time phase 2 and 3). If you want a more market-driven resource production game with auctions per round I'd recommend Planet Steam, which isn't too hard to find on sale and does some really cool economic things with supply/demand models and market monopolies despite giving players a lot of control over their production and not having any actual trading between players.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Speaking of 'supply and demand' games, myself and a another guy have been somewhat successfully broadening the horizons of the members of the board game group on campus, and ever person I have introduced to The Speicherstadt has completely loved it. This includes people who almost dismiss the game because it looks so dull. Pretty much every person is like, "lets play that poo poo again". And then I have to tell them that the game is OOP at the moment. Seriously, why has it not gone back to print yet?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Because Zman stupidly didn't give it an American/English name.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Power Grid seems painfully dull to me, I feel like I must be missing something given how often I've heard its name come up before but yeah, two hours of snoozeville.

You're not missing anything. I know I've said it before in this thread but I'd rather play Chicago Express for route building and auctions. The way Power Grid is structured equally skilled players are going to go to tiebreaker and a better player will run away with the game.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

That said, in my experience better players will obliterate people in Chicago Express. It's a surprisingly skill-testing game, and very unforgiving if you can't get the pacing and speed of the game down to prevent the earlygame rush from succeeding (or from collapsing if the earlygame rush doesn't succeed).

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty cold on Cards Against Humanity these days, but one of its designers is Kickstarting an interesting-sounding twist on The Resistance, Secret Hitler.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

cbirdsong posted:

I'm pretty cold on Cards Against Humanity these days, but one of its designers is Kickstarting an interesting-sounding twist on The Resistance, Secret Hitler.

With endorsements from the designers of Exploding Kittens and Smash Up, how can you go wrong?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

cbirdsong posted:

Graham Stark (Loading Ready Run) posted:

It's fun to be a fascist. I hope no one takes this quote out of context

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

cbirdsong posted:

This seems like The Resistance++ and looks mechanically sound while providing an interesting twist on the hidden role game.

Interestingly, they've released pretty much all the information to do a mock-up of it so there's no reason we can't just give it a shot.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I like how on its little 'better than Werewolf' blurb it's literally just the same improvements Resistance has already made, and then later on there's a quote about how Resistance vets prefer the Hitler game because it has 'more randomness.'

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Hey anyone got good insight on mafia de Cuba? Looks like a good traitor game and I like that players can select their goals.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I like how on its little 'better than Werewolf' blurb it's literally just the same improvements Resistance has already made, and then later on there's a quote about how Resistance vets prefer the Hitler game because it has 'more randomness.'

Sure, the two things it says are 'better than Werewolf' are what The Resistance adds but there's more to it than that - and as much as I hate just adding randomness for its own sake, this is more the Battlestar Galactica-style 'plausible deniability' randomness that works well with this kind of game.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

bobvonunheil posted:

Sure, the two things it says are 'better than Werewolf' are what The Resistance adds but there's more to it than that - and as much as I hate just adding randomness for its own sake, this is more the Battlestar Galactica-style 'plausible deniability' randomness that works well with this kind of game.
I think the fascists' executive policy track is the one novel thing about the game, and could be an interesting balancing act, if done correctly. The rest is pretty much copy pasted Resistance, only using Dark Moon's lousy random voting element which protects bad liars and potentially screws up a team's plans arbitrarily.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Toshimo posted:

How much shipped to 21222?

Sent you a PM about this.

Looks like Amazon is doing their Buy 2 get 1 free thing again: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1478264/amazon-buy-2-get-1-free-board-games-back-112315/page/1

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Andarel posted:

That said, in my experience better players will obliterate people in Chicago Express. It's a surprisingly skill-testing game, and very unforgiving if you can't get the pacing and speed of the game down to prevent the earlygame rush from succeeding (or from collapsing if the earlygame rush doesn't succeed).

Oh yeah, tonight I was just busting my friend for loving up our last game of CE because he didn't understand that I was bidding on stuff solely in an effort to devalue an opponent's holdings and he kept interfering. It's a very demanding game that some people just aren't going to get.

If you're the type of person who wants that kind of stuff power grid is going to feel like babby's first economic game.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 24, 2015

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I think the fascists' executive policy track is the one novel thing about the game, and could be an interesting balancing act, if done correctly. The rest is pretty much copy pasted Resistance, only using Dark Moon's lousy random voting element which protects bad liars and potentially screws up a team's plans arbitrarily.

I haven't played Dark Moon but if you report that it doesn't play out well that's fair enough. I feel that 5 'wins' before victory gives the players enough leeway that it's not a case of a one-off bad draw losing the game, though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Impermanent posted:

Hey anyone got good insight on mafia de Cuba? Looks like a good traitor game and I like that players can select their goals.

Fun, fast, hard to win as the Godfather, sez my tablemates.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Anybody have any thoughts on Panamax and Kanban? Doesn't look like there's anything else on that Amazon 2 for 1 that I'm interested in.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Golden Bee posted:

Fun, fast, hard to win as the Godfather, sez my tablemates.
Apparently there's a breaking strategy for the godfather at low number of players though :(

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anybody have any thoughts on Panamax and Kanban? Doesn't look like there's anything else on that Amazon 2 for 1 that I'm interested in.

Haven't played Panamax, but I've heard overall good things. Kanban's a tight worker placement game themed around mass production of automobiles. Lot of things you want to do with very few actions (you get to do basically one thing per round, though you can do it several times based on various factors), cool scoring minigame, and I personally really like the board art, it ranks up there for me with Vlaada's games in terms of striking a good balance between functionality and character.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

taser rates posted:

Haven't played Panamax, but I've heard overall good things. Kanban's a tight worker placement game themed around mass production of automobiles. Lot of things you want to do with very few actions (you get to do basically one thing per round, though you can do it several times based on various factors), cool scoring minigame, and I personally really like the board art, it ranks up there for me with Vlaada's games in terms of striking a good balance between functionality and character.

RIP, it's not 2 for 1, it's buy 2 get 1 free. Anyone have a suggestion for a third pickup?

EDIT: Thoughts on Castles of Mad King Ludwig?

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 24, 2015

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

Bobby The Rookie posted:

The working draft of the rules allows some mitigation against bad draws at match point though - the Chancellor and President can agree to veto adding a policy if there are five Fascist policies on the board.

The game seems like a combination of minor, but logically reasonable twists and melding of traitor-genre game concepts. Seems like it's a solid formula, but $25 solid? Not quite sure of that yet.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Secret Hitler looks like the best Hitler-themed game since Dominion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TastyLemonDrops posted:

RIP, it's not 2 for 1, it's buy 2 get 1 free. Anyone have a suggestion for a third pickup?

EDIT: Thoughts on Castles of Mad King Ludwig?

Any of Camel Up, Five Tribes, Evolution, The Ancient World or Eclipse. Possibly Loopin' Chewie if you want something fun that kids can play too.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Checking over the BGG list, I see Pictomania, Hive, Sushi Go, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Resistance, and Eclipse. Pictomania is Pictionary as made by Vlaada ie awesome, Hive is a decent abstract, Sushi Go is a fast and light card drafting game, Castles is Suburbia with a better pricing mechanic, Resistance is Resistance, and Eclipse is a heavy space 4x Euro with bad dice combat. There are a few other notables that popped out at me that other people here have talked about (Medina, Camel (C)up, Nations, Seasons, Sherlock Holmes, Gravwell, Colt Express), but I don't know them well enough to comment on personally.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

There's no longer a dispute on the name of Camel Up. Both Supercup and the Referee give that as the name in the rules.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Andarel posted:

I don't know what y'all are doing but my TI3 games usually take 4-6 hours and have all (with maybe one exception) finished. Can't see TI3: Legacy working, because the objectives are so variable and I don't think anyone would want to play 10+ games with identical setup when one of the major benefits is hugely variable setup rules...

Also the game is crazy modular and most groups don't really play the same way.

Most people seem to try to play an eight player game with all new players and both expansions starting from sealed boxes judging from the over twelve hour time periods quoted.

Bits for eight players in the first expansion was the cruelest joke

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
Tried Witness yesterday. A lot of fun. I felt like a complete moron, unable to remember the most basic of things. We still managed to piece together things alright. And laughed a lot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

There's no longer a dispute on the name of Camel Up. Both Supercup and the Referee give that as the name in the rules.

If this were true the expansion would be named Superup

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Both brilliantly designed games, with very clever mechanisms centred around sequencing and efficiencies. Definitely enthusiast games, deeply rewarding but with a bit of a tough rules overhead.

Nique
May 18, 2006

My group is starting to play TM more frequently and want to move past the recommended setups - I've heard VP auction to get priority on picking faction is commonly used, but is that from all factions, randomly selected ones, or drafted ones?

Edit: On reflection the only thing that would make sense would be a random selection, right?

Nique fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 24, 2015

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

+1 for Panamax. The rules are quite front-loaded but it's a really nice game. Looks good and colourful, quite an original theme, with plenty to think about as the turns go. The biggest downside I can think of is that it can sometimes a bit tricky to plan your turns beforehand because of how the ships shunt or group up as they move through the canal, or how other players could put their cargo onto your ships, so quite often you can't work out exactly what you want to or should do until your turn starts. It's a minor issue for me, it's an excellent game.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Another +1 for Panamax. Really great game, my only complaint being that the stock market doesn't quite feel fully-realized (it's very abstract, though it does work). Interesting personal/company money differentiation, good mix of needing to work with other players and trying to get them to help you, and not a ton of randomness (only problematic randomness = Contract Cards, and it's not that bad). Loading rules can be somewhat frustrating, though.

EBag
May 18, 2006

May be playing TM for the first time tomorrow at a meetup. Anyone got some newbie tips, races to avoid?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

EBag posted:

May be playing TM for the first time tomorrow at a meetup. Anyone got some newbie tips, races to avoid?

I've heard the Fakirs are terrible. Dwarfs appear to have the same ability, except theirs doesn't cost priests.

When you start it's going to look like you have a lot of money. After a couple actions, you're going to realize how much this isn't the case.

Don't be afraid to burn power, especially at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

EBag posted:

Engineers and Giants aren't very newbie friendly. Also, Chaos Magicians are good but can get shut out easily, so I wouldn't recommend them either. Everyone else is pretty workable.