Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i bought some led bulbs to replace some lovely old cfl ones and was all "lumens pfft who cares just get whatever is most popular for the socket" and holy gently caress they are bright despite usign less power it's actually painful to look at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it's actually painful to look at them
much
your
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

much
your
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i bought some led bulbs to replace some lovely old cfl ones and was all "lumens pfft who cares just get whatever is most popular for the socket" and holy gently caress they are bright despite usign less power it's actually painful to look at them

have they finally gotten around to being able to sell led bulbs in normal stores? i went looking for them a while back, and nobody had them and also they were super-expensive

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i know how this smells

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

is this that same guy who mapped out the hotel from the shining and deconstructed it? because that was awesome, can someone psot it?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

prefect posted:

have they finally gotten around to being able to sell led bulbs in normal stores? i went looking for them a while back, and nobody had them and also they were super-expensive

they're super expensive in regular shops but if like me you refuse to go outside and order them online they're priced alright in the UK anyway

FMguru posted:

much
your
this is why i dont go outside

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

prefect posted:

they're easy to get in UK supermarkets but they're double the price of normal halogen bulbs. about the same price as cfl ones though

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

prefect posted:

buy them on amazon.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

kemikalkadet posted:

they're easy to get in UK supermarkets but they're double the price of normal halogen bulbs. about the same price as cfl ones though

cfl was the worst and im glad its dead.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

cfl was the worst and im glad its dead.

i do not enjoy having to think about toxic waste disposal with my light bulbs

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

prefect posted:

i do not enjoy having to think about toxic waste disposal with my light bulbs

why would you have to do that

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

fluorescent bulbs contains an itty bitty amount of mercury

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

oh no, I have to wrap a thing in a plastic bag and drop it off in a bin once every 7 years!!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

oh no, I have to wrap a thing in a plastic bag and drop it off in a bin once every 7 years!!

Enough about your sex life though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i like my led bulbs

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

Enough about your sex life though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Improbable Lobster posted:

i like my led bulbs

now that the price is getting good there's no reason to cling to incandescents.

LEDs sorta own

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
leds finally have decent coloring at decent prices so they're worth getting.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Shaggar posted:

leds finally have decent coloring at decent prices so they're worth getting.

ya you can finally get youtr Green Bulb to support the Veterans

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
when fluorescent bulbs were a thing i remember being told that if you broke one, you were supposed to leave the room for like an hour

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Syncopated posted:

when fluorescent bulbs were a thing i remember being told that if you broke one, you were supposed to leave the room for like an hour

that's what i was told about cfls

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Syncopated posted:

thats what vaping is

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

if only there was some kind of government agency that could tell you how to handle such a situation

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

those instructions are frightening and make me want incandescent bulbs back

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Syncopated posted:

a Goon dealbreaker, obvs.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

what third world country do you live in, they're literally everywhere even the supermarket and drug store. walmart has them. in fact the wirecutter recommends walmart's brand of led bulbs as the best bang for your buck if you just want a basic bulb.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 24, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BANME.sh posted:

what third world country do you live in, they're literally everywhere even the supermarket and drug store. walmart has them. in fact the wirecutter recommends walmart's brand of led bulbs as the best bang for your buck if you just want a basic bulb.

i'm still boycotting wal-mart, but i'll look around. thanks :tipshat:

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Anaconda Rifle posted:

same, but A Serbian Film

top echelon depravity

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Improbable Lobster posted:

i like my led bulbs

me2

replacing just a few of my most used lights with leds helped the power bill by about 10 bux a month. also they dont heat up the room in summer which is nice

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my cfls are all around 6 years old and starting to burn out so I'm sure I'll LED them when they go but I think it might make more sense to put in new recessed LED fixures since old fixtures designed for omnidirectional incandescent/cfl bulbs. no point in shining a bunch of light in directions I don't need

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

wow. 4.88/bulb. cheap as gently caress

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

whatever mad person installed my lights used three way fittings everywhere which is insane now that there are 3 eye searing LEDs in them

yet they are lower power than the CFLs and like 25x less than incandescents what the gently caress why would anyone dislike these

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
these are slightly cheaper per/bulb. http://www.amazon.com/6-Pack-110V-UL-listed-A19-Bulb/dp/B00OB5FZSW/ I have them in 2700k and their real good.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

whatever mad person installed my lights used three way fittings everywhere which is insane now that there are 3 eye searing LEDs in them

yet they are lower power than the CFLs and like 25x less than incandescents what the gently caress why would anyone dislike these

i have a friend who gets a headache whenever we walk into a trendy bar with led lighting. idk if it's the pure white light or maybe the particular frequency idk. sucks for him though welcome to the future bitch lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

prefect posted:

in the us they've been widely available since like 2010 in anywhere you'd buy bulbs. and since like 2013 they've been like slightly more expensive than cfls but last 30 freakin years or whatever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

actually, theres no such thing as pure white light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
incandescents are still the best bulbs
everything else is trash