Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yessod posted:

Question - how is the XP on Free to Play (technically Preferred, or whatever)?

I played at launch for 5 or 6 months, finished up the Smuggler storyline, then quit. I tried it out again a bit later, but the Free to Play XP rate was so terrible I'd finish the questline on a planet and then have to grind womprats for a day to go on to the next one. Is it still that bad to play free?

Everyone's been buffed 6X, non-F2P gets an extra 25%. You may need to do an occasional heroic (with companions as they are now that's pretty easy) or flashpoint, but shouldn't have much issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Been like a year since I played, but the boosted XP brought me back. Unfortunately, my Agent's in a bit of a pickle - he's several levels under what he should be for where he is in the story, (Act 3, prison planet) and is thus getting wrecked by everything.

What's the easiest way to get him caught back up?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

dmboogie posted:

Been like a year since I played, but the boosted XP brought me back. Unfortunately, my Agent's in a bit of a pickle - he's several levels under what he should be for where he is in the story, (Act 3, prison planet) and is thus getting wrecked by everything.

What's the easiest way to get him caught back up?

Do Heroics for the earlier planets (you can just pick them up from the console in the Fleet, and you can teleport directly to the quest and turn them in automatically); this will get you level appropriate Blue gear as well. Also feed your companion gifts to get their influence up, that's a huge deal and will be even more so after the patch

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

Granted, you'd be better off replacing 75% of pubies with a comp but anyway...

:raise:

...:gonk:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This is a Bioware game

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StashAugustine posted:

This is a Bioware game

But it's also Star Wars, which as a setting is often shockingly prudish, slave bikinis aside.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I prefer to shave my pubies.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

I prefer to shave my pubies.

The ones you bought from Scott Tenorman?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It looks like they changed something in a recent patch, any hilts/barrels from the offhand crystal weapons are now flagged as offhand, and will force the weapon they are put into to become an offhand weapon as well.

Rip Tons of Crystals and credits finding that out.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kurieg posted:

It looks like they changed something in a recent patch, any hilts/barrels from the offhand crystal weapons are now flagged as offhand, and will force the weapon they are put into to become an offhand weapon as well.

So it's nigh-impossible for anyone who doesn't raid to actually improve their weapon now?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

you can get 208 drops from Heroic star forges, but I'm not sure about anything higher.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Level 23, and while I am enjoying myself, this game can do with some skill pruning. So many useless buttons...

Course, it could be just that I am a Concealment Operative, where the rotation is shank -> lacerate -> I win -> gently caress you

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 24, 2015

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Do preferred hobos get restricted from raids? I know you have to buy a pass for basically everything which is kind of hilarious, like who is going to cash in to play space battles?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
HK-51 is pretty cool. I was expecting a lovely HK47 clone but he doesn't use the word meatbag and he also has his own distinct personality centered around being...an evangelical murder bot which I can't say I saw coming.

In other news I'm glad I did the Sith Warrior storyline and had a friend breakdown the JK storyline for me before getting rolling on my Consular because the Consular storyline is way waaaay more interesting when you have the meta knowledge to correctly parse what's going on in the Tython/Coruscant prologue.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I want to romance SCORPIO

Bioware why won't you let me :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dely Apple posted:

Do preferred hobos get restricted from raids? I know you have to buy a pass for basically everything which is kind of hilarious, like who is going to cash in to play space battles?

Yes, you have to use a weekly pass to do oppositions. I think they sell for more than 350k so you'll need to either buy them from the cartel market or use escrow passes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

peer posted:

I want to romance SCORPIO

Bioware why won't you let me :(

DON'T DATE ROBOTS!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hunter Noventa posted:

So it's nigh-impossible for anyone who doesn't raid to actually improve their weapon now?

You can buy a better main hand off the GTN, there are likely some 200 blues dirt cheap. You can buy a 220 hilt/barrel for just over two million. You can also get a 204 main hand from PvP warzone comms, which you can then upgrade to a 208.

But, realistically, if you don't raid 190 is more than enough for you since level synching will bring you in line with whatever planet you're on anyways.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

DON'T DATE ROBOTS!

Maybe he's robosexual?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

This was definitely the case with comms before. I bought a lot of offhand blasters to RE the barrels, to learn the schematic to make mainhand barrels.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Kurieg posted:

Learned this the hard way last night. Rip crystals

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

I should have posted when I did this like a week and a half ago.

I bought the blue crystal offhand to pull the mods out, it did not work out.

I went and re-bought the green crystal offhand to do the same thing (having been dumb enough to not remove the hilt before putting in the new one, I know, I know) and it still didn't work.

So now I'm sitting there with a 190 hilt and 216 for the other components and oh well that's just how it goes. I think I'll spend some of my Thanksgiving break attempting to get the nuggets to craft a proper 216 and/or some story mode stuff and hope I get a drop.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

go3 posted:

Learned this the hard way last night. Rip crystals

Yeah, it was patched in 4.0.2.

SUPER glad I got the 208 barrel for my sniper before they did this.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 24, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

shadok posted:

This was definitely the case with comms before. I bought a lot of offhand blasters to RE the barrels, to learn the schematic to make mainhand barrels.

Do the 216s take raid mats?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Do the 216s take raid mats?

Yes, crafted 216 main hands take the same mats as 220s. At least on Jedi Covenant right now, the mats are more expensive than just flat out buying the hilt/barrel off the GTN. So just buy that 220 unless you have the schematic and want to craft it yourself and hope for a Crit.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
So I've just returned after like 2 years, and I've still got a level 49 Commando.

I have no idea what any of his abilities do any more and apparently I have to pick a Proficiency and oh god can anyone just tell me what buttons I click where :help:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yoshimo posted:

So I've just returned after like 2 years, and I've still got a level 49 Commando.

I have no idea what any of his abilities do any more and apparently I have to pick a Proficiency and oh god can anyone just tell me what buttons I click where :help:

If you're like me and just love running around with a giant gun and shooting people like you're Jesse Ventura in Predator, you want to pick "Gunnery". It focuses on shooting at people and making them dead.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I forget, have the spergs decreed that Serendipitous/Focused is still the best relic choice for non-tanks?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Crindee posted:

I forget, have the spergs decreed that Serendipitous/Focused is still the best relic choice for non-tanks?

Yes. And Shield Amplification and Reactive Warding for tanks.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Medullah posted:

Yes. And Shield Amplification and Reactive Warding for tanks.

Is there a recommended breakdown/guide for galactic starfighter out there?

Or just check dulfy?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Or just check dulfy?

I think Dulfy has one. Someone here posted a really good breakdown of it in the last thread. Personally I'm terrible at it so I can't give any recommendations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Medullah posted:

I think Dulfy has one. Someone here posted a really good breakdown of it in the last thread. Personally I'm terrible at it so I can't give any recommendations.

I REALLY want to make gunship work, but it seems like I miss half the time whether I have them dead on or not. Its really quite frustrating.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

Or just check dulfy?

This thread on the official forums is the gold standard for tips, strategies and suggested builds. It also contains links to general introductory getting-started stuff.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shadok posted:

This thread on the official forums is the gold standard for tips, strategies and suggested builds. It also contains links to general introductory getting-started stuff.

This is the one I just found, the Dulfy guide is horribly outdated(its missing every ship that wasn't in when they released GSF, which includes the entire bomber class and all but one gunship)

Thanks guys!

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

prefect posted:

If you're like me and just love running around with a giant gun and shooting people like you're Jesse Ventura in Predator, you want to pick "Gunnery". It focuses on shooting at people and making them dead.

Unfortunately...I'll need it a hell of a lot more dumbed-down! :( Are there any decent guides for what abilities to use and what to have on my button bar and such?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bat'sheva, I bought a mount off you. Wasn't the cheapest at the time, but I figured I'd donate to a fellow guildmate rather than a random pubbie.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
I was all set to announce the big gearing run for this Thursday and then realized what day that was, so this week only, we'll run ops on Friday and Sunday. Rather than attempting HM on Friday, we're going to blitz a few SM ops to get people ready for the harder stuff. I'll give preference for slots to people who are planning to join us in HM once they have the gear for it, of course. We'll try to get a group together for HM on Sunday - the highlighted op is TFB, so we should be able to at least get a few bosses down.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yoshimo posted:

Unfortunately...I'll need it a hell of a lot more dumbed-down! :( Are there any decent guides for what abilities to use and what to have on my button bar and such?

Dulfy is the gold standard, but a lot of it can be confusing if you're just looking for the idiot's guide to not sucking.

Fortunately for you, I mostly play the imp equivalent of a gunnery commando and am here to give you the idiot's guide to not sucking:

Gunnery Commando is nice because it's probably one of the simplest classes to play, and your core skills only require you to press like 5-6 buttons. It's a priority system that's based on you casting Full auto (later changing its name to bulletstorm, i think) as often as you can, and casting Grav Round until full auto is ready again. For 90% of the content in the game you can probably just use those two buttons and get by as long as your gear is good (especially now that companions are OP) but there's more you can and should do to be even better.

Here's the basic priority system (there are probably nuances to this that will give you maximum deeps but this is what I do and I do fine):

1) Full auto is your best ability, use it first and whenever it's up
2) Grav Round is your basic filler ability, and it has a trait which makes it so that sometimes when you cast it, full auto will become instantly available again.
2a) Vortex bolt makes your next grav round activate instantly, and also does damage on its own. Use it when it's available!
3) Demo Round does a lot of damage on targets that have been hit by your grav round--use it when it's available after you've grav rounded a target and full auto isn't available yet
4) High-impact bolt does high damage after you've cast grav round three times. Hit it when the button's glowing, but no sooner (and not if full auto is available)

Congrats, you're now a competent commando! Other poo poo you can do to squeeze out more damage:

- You have an ability called electro net or something, which does damage over time, but has a long cooldown. Use it when you can
- Fusion grenade isn't worth it for the most part, but note that you have two cooldowns that do make it worth it, kind of: I do not remember their names, but one of them makes the next ability cost no heat, the other one makes it activate instantly. Pop em both and then use fusion grenade for another dot
- Supercharge cell: Certain abilities will give you stacks of supercharge; once you reach 10 stacks, your supercharged cell ability will glow. Use it and you'll do more armor piercing and get a slight alacrity boost (aka you'll do more damage, it's a good thing)
- One of your max-level utilities lets you cast full auto while moving. Use it! It rules

And a few things you can do to die less:

- Your main defensive cooldown is called...shield...something, use it if you feel like you need to take less damage.
- You also have an ability called Hold the Line, which gives you a little speed boost and makes you immune to some controlling effects; it's a good idea to have it on your bar
- Naturally you'll also want your interrupt, stun, and escape buttons bound somewhere easy to reach. I don't remember their names.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 25, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hmmm looks like your new mount has some clipping issues still, Non-Entity. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Figures it's the purple tip of your head that pokes through this thing...

• Locked thread