Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

The Silverlode Nazgun will arrive as Nazgun-1 and Oxphocker will need to contact customer support for a name change. If Silverlode Nazgun is older than Landroval Nazgun, then to preserve the e-penis, you could probably both contact customer support together and have yours disbanded and Silverlode's renamed, then all the Landy kin members who feel like it could re-join the "new" one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fain80
Jan 18, 2013

Free Hugs
Is this game still going strong?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yeah they just released a big content update and are in the middle of a major server upgrade.

And there are almost two goons on at any given time, which is apparently a giant uptick in activity for the kin. :v:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Many of us are waiting for the server merge to be complete. I'm up to date on content except for the latest patch, figured that would give me a lot of fun to do once the servers are finished.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

bombhand posted:

The Silverlode Nazgun will arrive as Nazgun-1 and Oxphocker will need to contact customer support for a name change. If Silverlode Nazgun is older than Landroval Nazgun, then to preserve the e-penis, you could probably both contact customer support together and have yours disbanded and Silverlode's renamed, then all the Landy kin members who feel like it could re-join the "new" one.

I didn't realize it was possible to transfer the kinship like that. In that case I'll disband just before transfers open to prevent any naming issues. The Landroval Nazgun only has like 20 characters in it anyways and only one of those besides myself has logged on in the past 600+ days.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Fain80 posted:

Is this game still going strong?

The game is strong and the update 17 epic quest is amazing, 3/4 of the servers are going weak and boring as gently caress though hence the mergers. Not a cop out answer, it's genuinely a lively game on the five servers we're being merged into and a half dead game for LoTR lore fans on the other ones.

Most of the servers have now merged, I believe the next one to open up is Tuesday and our old server Silverlode is in line after that. Most recent estimate I heard on the forums was December 2nd.

I would say by the second or third week in December you'll see most people have picked their transfer server, some good sales will be up in game and hopefully the better ones on Steam, and then we chant for our new hardware/data-center that's being tested and prepared currently.

Also you should post here if you want to sell me some supreme essence of physical mastery without charging me 190g, and as always if anyone hits level 100 again let me know what essence or gear you're looking for and I'll mail some.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

xZAOx posted:

Many of us are waiting for the server merge to be complete. I'm up to date on content except for the latest patch, figured that would give me a lot of fun to do once the servers are finished.

I'm partially waiting for that, and also waiting for this class semester to end. Only reason I dropped off the face of the game was I got caught up in more schoolwork than I expected.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

xZAOx posted:

Same. I'm just catching up on deeds in the meantime and tooling about with a low level guardian.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I've been playing Star Wars Battlefront with the small amount of time I have right now for games. Kinda waiting on the move to Landroval before continuing through the latest content. What I've played so far has been well done, I think this is the best content update in quite some time.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Same. I'm just catching up on deeds in the meantime and tooling about with a low level guardian.

I don't know if this is a bug or just an unwritten bonus but I just realized last night I definitely get double the turbine points from slayer deeds when using a slayer deed scroll that doubles how many kills count towards each deed.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

extra stout posted:

I don't know if this is a bug or just an unwritten bonus but I just realized last night I definitely get double the turbine points from slayer deeds when using a slayer deed scroll that doubles how many kills count towards each deed.

Sounds like a bug. I should use one to see if it's the case.

Fain80
Jan 18, 2013

Free Hugs
My characters were on Landroval but I stopped playing shortly after Mines of Moria. I'm not sure j have the strength to grind out all those levels for the new content!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Leveling is the best part of the game!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Fain80 posted:

My characters were on Landroval but I stopped playing shortly after Mines of Moria. I'm not sure j have the strength to grind out all those levels for the new content!

Log in all of them, pick a favorite, level it up and post your name so we can help once we get there. I've got an alt there with some gold already too.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Enzenx posted:

I didn't realize it was possible to transfer the kinship like that. In that case I'll disband just before transfers open to prevent any naming issues. The Landroval Nazgun only has like 20 characters in it anyways and only one of those besides myself has logged on in the past 600+ days.
Maybe don't disband. If there HAPPENS to be another Nazgun on another server and they HAPPEN to choose Landroval, and they HAPPEN to do it at just the wrong time, then we might end up SOL. The kin transfer comes with a free kinship rename. Best to make sure things happen on our schedule and according to plan than to leave anything up to chance.

Fain80 posted:

SOME of the new content is playable at low levels: the Osgiliath instances scale down to 50 and all of the epic battles scale you up to 100 no matter what level you play at (I think you have to be at least level 10 or 15). The epic battles rely more on your promotion points than your level, although certain objectives will be made more difficult by your relative lack of stats and skills. I don't know how playable the scaled-down instances actually are for an on-level character, though; extra stout and I tried to run the 6-man on T2 at level 50 with a well-rounded trio of 100s and it was surprisingly brutal. It could be because a number of the debuffs are percentage-based, so it's very possible that a full fellowship of level 50s could realistically run the T1 or even the T2.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fain80 posted:

Seriously don't think of it as grinding. Put it to yourself to do some quest areas fully and just go about doing some quests every now and then. The game's fairly well-written and the story is enough of a pull to want to keep going. Mirkwood is pretty engaging but you can just as well go through Great River, which is also interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of Rohan but if you've never done it it's fun enough to go through at least once. Gondor's great though and there's no trouble leveling up through there.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Seriously don't think of it as grinding. Put it to yourself to do some quest areas fully and just go about doing some quests every now and then. The game's fairly well-written and the story is enough of a pull to want to keep going. Mirkwood is pretty engaging but you can just as well go through Great River, which is also interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of Rohan but if you've never done it it's fun enough to go through at least once. Gondor's great though and there's no trouble leveling up through there.

LOTRO has the best story of any MMO on the market. Most of the fun in the game is leveling, and the game world is so beautiful that you can just get lost in it and not feel like you're grinding. A good thing about the game being 8 1/2 years old now is that there's multiple ways you can go through the 1-85 content. If you want to eventually get another character to 100, you can have at least half of your questing experience be totally different by taking another route. XP boosters can be used to avoid certain patches of content that are kind of dull (Dunland was for me). Once you go through East Rohan, the West will seem pretty much the same. At that point you might be able to just follow the epic quest with XP boosters and get to the point where you can start Gondor a couple levels early (good for a challenge). There's so much Gondor content that you'd hit 100 long before you run out of quests, even if you start 2-3 levels early.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 24, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bombhand posted:

Maybe don't disband. If there HAPPENS to be another Nazgun on another server and they HAPPEN to choose Landroval, and they HAPPEN to do it at just the wrong time, then we might end up SOL. The kin transfer comes with a free kinship rename. Best to make sure things happen on our schedule and according to plan than to leave anything up to chance.

Just disband it. If someone hasn't logged in in over a year chances are that if they find the kinship was nuked they'll come along and ask here if they want to play with goons again. Meanwhile actually having the old guild name will help anyone who wanders back find us. Renaming it would just create pointless confusion.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

bombhand posted:

Oh absolutely. I planned on waiting until the day they opened to blow it up to avoid anything like that. I have no trouble waiting until you guys get moved over to nuke it to make sure things work out.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

ruffz posted:

LOTRO has the best story of any MMO on the market. Most of the fun in the game is leveling, and the game world is so beautiful that you can just get lost in it and not feel like you're grinding. A good thing about the game being 8 1/2 years old now is that there's multiple ways you can go through the 1-85 content. If you want to eventually get another character to 100, you can have at least half of your questing experience be totally different by taking another route. XP boosters can be used to avoid certain patches of content that are kind of dull (Dunland was for me). Once you go through East Rohan, the West will seem pretty much the same. At that point you might be able to just follow the epic quest with XP boosters and get to the point where you can start Gondor a couple levels early (good for a challenge). There's so much Gondor content that you'd hit 100 long before you run out of quests, even if you start 2-3 levels early.

You're right about virtually all of this, but The Secret World blows LotRO away in the storytelling department. I hear good things about SWTOR too(I haven't played it yet, so I don't know for sure).

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just disband it. If someone hasn't logged in in over a year chances are that if they find the kinship was nuked they'll come along and ask here if they want to play with goons again. Meanwhile actually having the old guild name will help anyone who wanders back find us. Renaming it would just create pointless confusion.
I strongly agree with this. It should be disbanded to avoid confusion, etc. Any wayward goons will come here to find out what's up. :)

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Brave New World posted:

You're right about virtually all of this, but The Secret World blows LotRO away in the storytelling department. I hear good things about SWTOR too(I haven't played it yet, so I don't know for sure).

Never played The Secret World, though I have heard good things about its story. SWTOR had an above-average storyline when I played it, but I quit a couple months after launch. It's all a matter of opinion, Tolkien's books are my absolute favorites so I'm biased. I think Turbine does a great job of translating the books to an MMO.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

ruffz posted:

Never played The Secret World, though I have heard good things about its story. SWTOR had an above-average storyline when I played it, but I quit a couple months after launch. It's all a matter of opinion, Tolkien's books are my absolute favorites so I'm biased. I think Turbine does a great job of translating the books to an MMO.

TSW is loving fantastic and I would champion it above LotRO. That isn't to say LotRO is by any means bad but TSW is just so drat good.

That said, SWtOR has some really, really, really, really, really bad writing.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

TSW has some of the best writing, best atmosphere, most interesting environments and unfortunately some of the worst combat.

SWTOR has some really good class stories and some really bad class stories, the latest expansion has probably the most interesting story content since the game launched and feels more in line with the KOTOR games.

LOTRO overall is probably behind them in the story department unless you are heavily into the Tolkien lore, I think they have more interesting environments than SWTOR and much better combat than TSW.

Really wanted to like TSW but that combat was just so bland and boring it killed it for me. If you don't care that much about the combat though TSW is definitely worth a try, some really interesting quests and environments there to play around in.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm not talking about changing the name from Nazgun. Since transfers aren't instantaneous, I'm suggesting that Enzenx could continue sitting on the kinship name until we can be as sure as possible that no kinship named "Nazgun" from some other migrating server is going to happen to transfer their kin at precisely the wrong time and then control of the name is lost entirely. Extremely unlikely, but technically possible, I expect. Since the kinship transfer comes with a free rename, Enzenx could sit on the name through the transfer, then cooperate with a GM in disbanding while a GM is present to immediately rename Nazgun-1 to Nazgun. I tend towards being overly cautious, so there's no need to do what I'm suggesting; I just wanted to get my thoughts out there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Swtor has a better story because you're never made to wash dishes as part of the essential quest line.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Does SWTOR ever ask you to clean up the vomit of passed-out partygoers?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The Bingo Boffin quest chain on its own makes this the best MMO.

Meclin
Dec 3, 2011

Landroval is for sure the destination, correct? I have characters scattered across a bunch of servers, so I want to consolidate. I've read through the thread, but the OP still lists three possibilities.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Meclin posted:

Landroval is for sure the destination, correct? I have characters scattered across a bunch of servers, so I want to consolidate. I've read through the thread, but the OP still lists three possibilities.

It is still the plan, but just wait until we move before doing anything.

Meclin
Dec 3, 2011

Thanks. I have been going through all these different worlds trying to figure out who to take to the new server and who to delete. I will wait until we are off Silverlode.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Quad Pack and Helm's Deep both went on sale on Steam for :10bux: a piece.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

how does activating it work? do they just give you a code to activate it via turbine or something?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
So, I've heard good things about LOTRO for a while and :20bux: is a pretty good price for the Super Deluxe All The Expansions version. If I want to play with goons should I choose Silverlode server? Or Landroval since that's where everyone is going apparently?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Transfers are supposed to happen within a week so it might be best just to start on Landroval and start working on the early quest chains.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Well I'm starting Old Anorien finally. I decided to not do the West Rohan slayer deeds since I don't easily over level the mobs. It's not like I want to actually trouble myself or anything.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cyrano4747 posted:

how does activating it work? do they just give you a code to activate it via turbine or something?

Yeah, you get the codes via Steam's CD key viewer and then you put them in under My Account on the Turbine site

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah, you get the codes via Steam's CD key viewer and then you put them in under My Account on the Turbine site

If I remember you might have to enter big picture mode on Steam but yeah I have done this before and you can access the code, then you just put it into myaccount.turbine.com. I love Steam but I'd rather not depend on it for an MMO, or do away with the nostalgic and sometimes informative LoTRO launcher. Happy Thanksgiving nerds, I'll be on later if anyone wants to run Moria instances or big battles.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

extra stout posted:

If I remember you might have to enter big picture mode on Steam but yeah I have done this before and you can access the code, then you just put it into myaccount.turbine.com. I love Steam but I'd rather not depend on it for an MMO, or do away with the nostalgic and sometimes informative LoTRO launcher. Happy Thanksgiving nerds, I'll be on later if anyone wants to run Moria instances or big battles.

You still have to use the LotRO launcher to play via Steam.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Its been a while.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I just tried using a different computer on a different network and still get the failed to queue x80004005 error failed to queue for login server. The client then just displayed getting in line to connect....so bizarre, I'm not quite sure what to do as this network I even DMZ'ed my laptop to make sure..open to suggestions please.

SoggyGravy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 26, 2015