Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Like red tide, but for rabbits, right? I'd be inclined to dismiss such concerns unless I read it in a warning on my state's Dept of Fish and Game website, or the story named a specific parasite so I could go look it up. Generic "rabbit parasites" don't sound like a credible threat. I mean, people have been hunting and eating rabbits since forever, and if this was really a serious problem, then California rabbit season probably wouldn't open in mid-summer.

That said, tularemia is a thing, albeit a very very rare thing. Wear gloves when handling the rabbits and inspect them for sores before cutting them open. And, most importantly, if you get a fever afterwards, tell your doctor you've been eating wild rabbits and tell them to should check for tularemia, because they'll never suspect it otherwise.

I shot and prepped a few rabbits on my friend's farm one time. I had no prior hunting experience, and it was pretty easy. Watch a youtube video and have a really sharp knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The skins are easy to cure, too, with the fur on them. Nice for decorative work.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love hunting rabbits cuz they're pretty much the easiest animal to clean. The whole pelt comes off like a sock/glove.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Last minute invite to a friendsgiving potluck tomorrow, my brain is being lazy and saying to just make an sausage stuffing or a vegan mushroom stuffing. Any more interesting ideas that'll travel/make ahead well?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Sextro posted:

Last minute invite to a friendsgiving potluck tomorrow, my brain is being lazy and saying to just make an sausage stuffing or a vegan mushroom stuffing. Any more interesting ideas that'll travel/make ahead well?

Cranberry sauce made with orange juice, madeira or port, grated ginger, a splash of cointreau, a bit of sugar, and whole cranberries, boiled together until the cranberries burst and release their innards. It'll for sure travel really well.

Not to be funny, but if you can sort out a dish that's light, and not carb heavy, it'll probably prove popular, because everything else is so dense, beige, and carb heavy. Maybe some steamed broccoli florets tossed with sesame oil, garlic powder, toasted sesame seeds, and salt & pepper.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

dino. posted:

Cranberry sauce made with orange juice, madeira or port, grated ginger, a splash of cointreau, a bit of sugar, and whole cranberries, boiled together until the cranberries burst and release their innards. It'll for sure travel really well.

Not to be funny, but if you can sort out a dish that's light, and not carb heavy, it'll probably prove popular, because everything else is so dense, beige, and carb heavy. Maybe some steamed broccoli florets tossed with sesame oil, garlic powder, toasted sesame seeds, and salt & pepper.

You can actually use sectioned oranges or clementines or other orange citrus, including the peel. In the time it takes for the cranberries to sugarize the peel will get candied and delicious.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Didn't even consider cranberry sauce. That's the way I'm going. Also an excuse to go to the liquor store again.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Ketchup is bad and only children eat it. Just wanted to throw that out there.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Scrambled eggs and ketchup is good

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Graduate to hot sauce or at least salsa.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Croatoan posted:

Ketchup is bad and only children eat it. Just wanted to throw that out there.

What the hell else am I supposed to put on my well-done steak?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trebuchet King posted:

A1 sauce duh

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Trebuchet King posted:

Dusseldorf mustard.

Ketchup is pretty awesome, as long as its Heinz 57.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I like ketchup!

Ketchup is the judas goat of condiments - it will lead you to using and abusing hot sauces and make you add sugar to everything and call it barbecue - ketchup is a gateway drug.

Ketchup is the young, pretty, untainted blonde girl of your first highschool dance. You will kiss her, and it will corrupt you.

Ketchup is the american dream. Ketchup is a blowjob on the backseat of your parents car. Ketchup is anal offered freely.

I like ketchup - but I doubt that ketchup is sufficient to still my tastes now - my tastes has evolved, I have become more mature, more jaded, more complex - ketchup will not sate me.

But I will always treasure her. Ketchup took away my virginity and left me with a gaping anus.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

When I go to mickey dees, and sometimes I do, I like to make a little pile of salt and dip my fries first into the ketchup and then into the salt.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
You are a purist loving genius, and I salute you!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I like ketchup in certain circumstances (eg with chips and on burgers) and for that I do not apologise or feel shame. You'll not sauce-shame me!

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Force de Fappe posted:

When I go to mickey dees, and sometimes I do, I like to make a little pile of salt and dip my fries first into the ketchup and then into the salt.

Fries should always be dipped into a 2:1 ratio of ketchup and mayo packets. The resulting sauce looks like the effects of anal offered freely, but it tastes much better.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Ironically we always much preferred Heinz chili sauce at home when I was a kid. My favourite rainy-day meal of egg fried rice with fried hotdogs on the side would not be possible without it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm roasting parsnips and getting what I think is a really strong phenols smell. Luckily they don't taste like that as its a flavour I hate. I have had honey and red wine with that flavour (like TCP antiseptic) and I can't take it. I think it's phenols I'm talking about.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I like Heinz ketchup jalapeno on stuff like burgers and fries.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have three required, separate condiments when I eat sweet potato fries. Ketchup, Sriracha, and Chocolate Sauce. The Holy Trinity.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

This is actually legitimately good.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

This is actually legitimately good.

:agreed:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Force de Fappe posted:

Ironically we always much preferred Heinz chili sauce at home when I was a kid. My favourite rainy-day meal of egg fried rice with fried hotdogs on the side would not be possible without it.

This is one of my favorite meals but I am taking a break from it as I was abusing it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Basically everything from Heinz that isn't plain ketchup is great, I think we can all agree on this.

e: Hunts' ketchup is better.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I dip my fries in hot sauce.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Malt vinegar and mayo

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

I like ketchup!

Ketchup is the judas goat of condiments - it will lead you to using and abusing hot sauces and make you add sugar to everything and call it barbecue - ketchup is a gateway drug.

Ketchup is the young, pretty, untainted blonde girl of your first highschool dance. You will kiss her, and it will corrupt you.

Ketchup is the american dream. Ketchup is a blowjob on the backseat of your parents car. Ketchup is anal offered freely.

I like ketchup - but I doubt that ketchup is sufficient to still my tastes now - my tastes has evolved, I have become more mature, more jaded, more complex - ketchup will not sate me.

But I will always treasure her. Ketchup took away my virginity and left me with a gaping anus.

well put.

HH's analogies aside - I have been reading old american cookbooks from the 20s-60s recently, and loving EVERYTHING HAS KETCHUP. or condensed campbell's soup.

like I read a recipe for a salad dressing and half of it was ketchup.

As an American I don't think you can say you don't like ketchup, it's just like - not a thing that you can do. you can say you prefer not to eat it maybe, but ketchup has shaped so much of our culinary history that I think if you don't at least get the appeal of ketchup - well I don't know, I won't make any blasé generalizations for once, but...

that said I like malt vinegar and mustard. whole grain if you have it. if not american is alright. maybe a lil squirt of ketchup, mayo, and whatever hot sauces you have on the side. and creamed horseradish if you got it. bbq sauce would be nice too. and ranch and blue cheese would be a good addition. and cheese sauce too? brown and sawmill gravy would just be icing on the cake! (lol americans) and curry gewürz ketchup for the german in me!

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 25, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have three required, separate condiments when I eat sweet potato fries. Ketchup, Sriracha, and Chocolate Sauce. The Holy Trinity.

I know I said don't sauce-shame but chocolate sauce with fries (even sweet potato) is a degeneracy that can't go unmentioned. Or condemned in the strongest possible terms.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I've never made any kind of sauce with ketchup and I don't really want to.

I pretty much only put it on burgers, hotdogs or french fries and its awesome there and to me, irreplaceable. Beyond that? Not really interested in using it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

That Works posted:

I've never made any kind of sauce with ketchup and I don't really want to.

I pretty much only put it on burgers, hotdogs or french fries and its awesome there and to me, irreplaceable. Beyond that? Not really interested in using it.

Yeah, same here. I do also enjoy a spicy tomato chutney where others might use ketchup.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

I know I said don't sauce-shame but chocolate sauce with fries (even sweet potato) is a degeneracy that can't go unmentioned. Or condemned in the strongest possible terms.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really like Tobasco on fries. The vinegar tastes stronger and the peppers taste oakier.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Salt pepper and mayonnaise on fries for me. I'm not even Belgian

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tarbrush posted:

Salt pepper and mayonnaise on fries for me. I'm not even Belgian

This is acceptable. I knew about mayo with fries from my childhood as one of my best friends is Dutch.

My wife likes to mix ketchup and mayo. Different strokes...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I like ketchup and mayo on a hot dog and most people I've met seem to think that its weird.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Has anyone released a Sriracha ketchup yet?

Also brown gravy and malt vinegar are pretty much the best on fries.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Once you start making ketchup at home, though, the game really changes. A lot of the recipes from the late 19th century are super savoury and complex, and help you understand why ketchup became so popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
So I bought a huge rear end pork leg shank that was very cheap thinking I could use it like pork shoulder. Turns out you can't really and I have a few pounds of slightly dry pork meat.

Any idea on how to use it? Bonus point if it's in something that freezes well since the thing was almost 4kg before cooking so there's no way I can eat it all before it spoils.

I'm going to make some fried rice for today and would like to make some pies or something like that but I don't have any good pork pie recipe.