Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Crow Jane posted:

Aziz Ansari's new Netflix series, Master of None, is pretty great so far.

Is this good even if you've grown to hate Ansari's whole persona? Watching his stand up has made me retroactively dislike him in Parks and Rec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ryoshi posted:

Is this good even if you've grown to hate Ansari's whole persona? Watching his stand up has made me retroactively dislike him in Parks and Rec.

I mean, if you don't like the man you probably won't like the show, but it's well-written, funny and smart. Kinda more similar to Louie than Parks and Rec, but still really warm and... I guess sensitive is the word? There's a sweetness to the show that I'm really digging, but it doesn't detract from the humor. Plus, the soundtrack is excellent.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I just watched The Imposter, which was like a documentary crossed with a thriller. It is a documentary, but the story is crazy. It's about a boy who goes missing in Texas and then three years later his family gets a call from Spain saying their son has been found.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ryoshi posted:

I actually know where you're coming from but this series is kinda different. Ansari has a way less smart-rear end creep vibe here than in Parks and in his stand up. He's like a normal guy and it's a world of difference to me as well. I'd say give it a try and another plus is that other comedy celebs drop by.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
W/ Bob and David is on Netflix. I've only watched a few episodes but there are some very funny sketches and they all weave together just like Mr. Show.

Also, for those of you who just have Netflix on in the background, John Mulaney's special is worth your full attention. His mannerisms are a huge part of his act, especially during the real estate agent bit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

jodai posted:

W/ Bob and David is on Netflix. I've only watched a few episodes but there are some very funny sketches and they all weave together just like Mr. Show.

Also, for those of you who just have Netflix on in the background, John Mulaney's special is worth your full attention. His mannerisms are a huge part of his act, especially during the real estate agent bit.

Very excited to see Mr. Show 2 is available. I love those guys. Mulaney could read a menu and I would watch him all day. That guy has a ton of talent. That being said, I thought New In Town was better.

Master of None, for me, is a lot like Louie in the sense that every episode has a build up of a relationship that culminates me me giving out one or two HUGE laughs. It's not really structured to have jokes every line. Overall, I really like it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

jodai posted:

I really like sketch comedy, but never really liked Mr. Show. Unfortunately, it is the same with W/ Bob and David. It's just... too over the top, and the laugh track (live audience, whatever) is too in your face. Different strokes, etc.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Jessica Jones is good so far. I'm like 5 eps in.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ExCruceLeo posted:

Jessica Jones is good so far. I'm like 5 eps in.

Its got some great stuff going on later, but I felt the finale was a bit weak. Overall a fantastic ride though, and David Tennant plays a crazy villain well.

So hype for Luke Cage now it's not even funny. The actor they got for him is great.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Its got some great stuff going on later, but I felt the finale was a bit weak. Overall a fantastic ride though, and David Tennant plays a crazy villain well.

So hype for Luke Cage now it's not even funny. The actor they got for him is great.

Knowing absolutely gently caress-nothing about Jessica Jones I still went "holy poo poo is that Luke Cage" the second you see him behind the bar for the first time.

Marvel's casting for the Netflix series' is incredible.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

Bussamove posted:

Yeah I'm at a point where they're not showing any Luke but I figure he'll show up later. He seems like he'll be a good fit.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

They're doing a Luke Cage & Iron Fist show, right?

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Inzombiac posted:

They're doing a Luke Cage & Iron Fist show, right?

They're doing individual Luke Cage and Iron Fist shows, followed by a Defenders series with everyone from the Netflix shows.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ExCruceLeo posted:

Yeah I'm at a point where they're not showing any Luke but I figure he'll show up later. He seems like he'll be a good fit.

A tight fit.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

The Man in the High Castle is really excellent. It has some changes from the novel but I think they work well in the page to screen translation.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Bussamove posted:

Overall a fantastic ride though, and David Tennant plays a crazy villain well.

David Tennant's character is completely terrifying, I love it. Not that a comparison is necessary, but I didn't love Dare Devil, and it made me hesitant to give this a try - but I'm glad I did. It's just got some more interesting character stuff going on, and doesn't have as much/any really bad acting.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
Yeah, Tennant did a really good job of making my skin crawl.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Captain Lavender posted:

David Tennant's character is completely terrifying, I love it. Not that a comparison is necessary, but I didn't love Dare Devil, and it made me hesitant to give this a try - but I'm glad I did. It's just got some more interesting character stuff going on, and doesn't have as much/any really bad acting.

Good to know. After DD, I wasn't excited about JJ or LC.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just a heads up that the 6th season of Archer is available on the UK Netflix.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Ryoshi posted:

Yeah, definitely watch the show. I feel like his stand-up has gone very downhill recently (that last special, ugh) but he is a totally different character in this series. There is honestly no relation to any other character he's played before and he doesn't even seem like the same person as his stand-up. Definitely a pro-watch, one of my favorite series of the year probably. Also his real life actual parents play his characters parents in the show, they are absolutely adorable. Do a google search afterwards to find out what Aziz thought about his parents playing in it, it is amazing.

The show isn't at all wacky though, and it honestly touches on a lot of big topics. A general passive arc through-out the series is "is this the type of person I want to be with for the rest of my life?" type deal. They devote a few episodes to that. Every episode has a "theme" but they all flow together in the narrative of the story.
It's also one of the only shows in recent memory that has made me LOL when I'm by myself (I usually just chuckle on the inside). Check it out for anyone on the fence.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Yeah, I've been hot and cold on him before, but I really like the show. Definitely the best thing he's done.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I keep expecting something wacky to happen in certain situations he finds himself in and it doesn't and plays out like something believable which is good.

Just finished Jessica Jones and really liked it, can't wait for Luke Cage.

Think I'm going to give Man in the High Castle or whatever it's called a try next. The Americans also sounds cool if I can find it streaming. Haven't checked yet.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!
"The Americans" is really good, and the first couple of seasons are Amazon Prime. In fact I'd say it's probably one of the best shows of the last few years. Everyone on the show is excellent (especially Keri Russell), and they do a great job of capturing the whole 80s Cold War aesthetic. Granted my opinion is a little biased since its currently one of my favorites, but if you like suspenseful spy type stuff then you'll definitely enjoy it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Any opinions on Red Road which is up on netflix? I hadn't heard of or noticed it before, but the first episode was pretty engrossing. Reminds me a bit of a show pilot I saw that never had a followup, I think it was called Outlaw Country? It's around as a standalone movie but it is kind of sad because it was fun and portrayed an interesting country/western niche.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I actually loved A Very Murray Christmas. It's getting mixed reviews and a lot of people say it's lacking a "Christmas Spirit", but I think it's there. I think it's kind of aimed at a lonely Christmas type. In my 20's I spent several Xmases by myself, and the tone of this really hit me the right way.

Got a little dusty in here during a couple of the songs

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Captain Lavender posted:

I actually loved A Very Murray Christmas. It's getting mixed reviews and a lot of people say it's lacking a "Christmas Spirit", but I think it's there. I think it's kind of aimed at a lonely Christmas type. In my 20's I spent several Xmases by myself, and the tone of this really hit me the right way.

Got a little dusty in here during a couple of the songs

Scrooged is easily the superior Murray Christmas movie.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

1redflag posted:

Scrooged is easily the superior Murray Christmas movie.

It's possibly the best Christmas movie. Although the ending sags.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Scrooged is one my favorite Christmas movies although it does have some weak points. My wife hates it for some reason.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Man are new Rick and Morty eps ever going to come to Hulu or what the gently caress?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ryoshi posted:

Man are new Rick and Morty eps ever going to come to Hulu or what the gently caress?

They're on CN.

And there is another way

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Ryoshi posted:

For whatever reason the basic cable shows on Hulu don't go up the day after airing like the network shows do. They'll prob do something like Netflix and put up new seasons all at once after the season ends and whatever length of time specified in their agreement has passed.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Heck I'm thinking of cancelling all of my streaming stuff for 6 months to give this poo poo some time to repopulate. It's been like four months since something came on that made me say "oh, cool."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rolo posted:

Heck I'm thinking of cancelling all of my streaming stuff for 6 months to give this poo poo some time to repopulate. It's been like four months since something came on that made me say "oh, cool."

For what it's worth Jessica Jones on Netflix is really good. I was kinda psyched for Daredevil but walked away completely underwhelmed (other than the casting which was incredible). Jessica Jones I had never heard of and went in expecting the worst after DD and ended up binging it with my fiancé over a week - and it would have been a lot less if not for the heavy overtones of abuse that made it uncomfortable to just plow through at times.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok sure, I'll check it out.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Ok sure, I'll check it out.

I didn't see Daredevil but have heard if you like the MCU dregs JJ is a good one. I liked it.

Gets criticized for being too casual about rape or something. Just too rapey? Didn't really like that part but it's a core part of the story.

That dr who guy is super creepy and Luke Cage is badass, and so is JJ of course.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Age of Ultron just went up, surprisingly.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Opopanax posted:

Age of Ultron just went up, surprisingly.

Not that surprising, I think all their movies go on Epix and Netflix.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just seems very fast for such a big movie. You'd think they'd rather get some of that Christmas money

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They added Interstellar to Hulu.

I never heard feedback on the movie one way or another, but I have to say I was surprised with how much I liked it.

Christopher Nolan makes good space movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

They added Interstellar to Hulu.

I never heard feedback on the movie one way or another, but I have to say I was surprised with how much I liked it.

Christopher Nolan makes good space movies.

As long as someone fixed the audio so the dialogue is audible and the explosions are not ear shattering it's a good shew.