Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I just S-Craft Shining Poms, unless I think there might be a boss coming up soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
S-crafts work well early, and then once you get to chapter 7 or so spamming Death Scream on them makes grinding easy, should you be so inclined.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

S-crafts work well early, and then once you get to chapter 7 or so spamming Death Scream on them makes grinding easy, should you be so inclined.

That's only in SC though. In FC you pretty much need to rely on S-Crafts or Shadow Spear.

It works amazingly well in the final chapter of SC though. I ended up getting everyone to 93-94 in no time at all by spamming Death Scream non-stop.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Playing through the ending again, I'm kind of annoyed that the narrative took on a drat power of friendship speech at the end. It's like it's mandatory once per jRPG in order to preach that theme to us in the most shallow way possible.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Levantine posted:

That's only in SC though. In FC you pretty much need to rely on S-Crafts or Shadow Spear.

It works amazingly well in the final chapter of SC though. I ended up getting everyone to 93-94 in no time at all by spamming Death Scream non-stop.

I found that spamming Dragon Dive was way faster, especially with Agate having a Z-Ore weapon. Kloe's Death Screams were just low enough as to not one-shot final chapter Poms, but a sub-200-CP Dragon Dive was north of 5k (200 CP ones were around 7k).

Between Wild Rage 2 and Tomatrio Sandwiches it was the most trivial poo poo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I never saw a shining pom in sc

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Slur posted:

Playing through the ending again, I'm kind of annoyed that the narrative took on a drat power of friendship speech at the end. It's like it's mandatory once per jRPG in order to preach that theme to us in the most shallow way possible.

Friends are cool

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Kyrosiris posted:

I found that spamming Dragon Dive was way faster, especially with Agate having a Z-Ore weapon. Kloe's Death Screams were just low enough as to not one-shot final chapter Poms, but a sub-200-CP Dragon Dive was north of 5k (200 CP ones were around 7k).

Between Wild Rage 2 and Tomatrio Sandwiches it was the most trivial poo poo.

Dragon Dive with a Z-weapon is definitely the most reliable but that's a lot of resources to use for grinding. Both Joshua and Kloe were set up for Death Scream and if you get the jump on that last group in Tunnel 3, you can do 3-4 before they ever got to move. If you Wild Rage > Dragon Dive whenever you can, though, one more cast of Death Scream should get it done at those levels.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Levantine posted:

Dragon Dive with a Z-weapon is definitely the most reliable but that's a lot of resources to use for grinding. Both Joshua and Kloe were set up for Death Scream and if you get the jump on that last group in Tunnel 3, you can do 3-4 before they ever got to move. If you Wild Rage > Dragon Dive whenever you can, though, one more cast of Death Scream should get it done at those levels.

It would be a lot of resources if it weren't Agate. But it is Agate, so it's barely worth mentioning.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Levantine posted:

Eh, it was very easy to set up for me. Kloe's speed was juuuuust right such that her Tear-Alls would land right after Agate acted and used Wild Rage 2, and then I'd just run away from encounters without Poms. If things ended up with back-to-back Poms, well, that was just bad luck. :v:

Plus the numbers are very, very satisfying. (that one was not 200 CP, but it was on a critical panel. Never ended up with a 200 and a Critical lining up together.)

Cake Attack posted:

I never saw a shining pom in sc

They're a rare addition to specific encounters per chapter.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Slur posted:

My reading of that scene is the inverse of yours: Weissmann got burned because in his haste to disprove the power of love he triggered Kevin and Joshua's trap.
Joshua didn't get out of W's control because of the power of love, he got out because since his love for Estelle made such a tempting target for the rear end in a top hat it was the perfectly natural spot to set up a trap
And frankly, that theme is constantly present throughout both games, just because it only gets spelled out in the cutscenes leading to the final bosses (I seem to recall something similar in FC) it doesn't mean it isn't always there.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I'd argue that Estelle's speeches, both at the end of FC and SC weren't really about the power of friendship, but rather about the power of banding together to overcome common obstacles that seem insurmountable to tackle individually. She argued this at the end of FC, pointing out that it wasn't Cassius on his own who ended the war, but the efforts of the entire royal army as well as many more. At the end of SC, she pointed out that one of the main reasons the aureole ruined the very civilisation it was meant to improve was because it isolated people by taking away all reasons to interact with their fellow man. You could argue that this is something that every JRPG throws in there at the end, but both FC and SC give Estelle plenty of examples to back up her point. This is different from the power of friendship since many of both games more effective alliances were between parties who either had little interaction with each other before or were at odds with one another before banding together to fight for a common goal.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 24, 2015

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Erpy posted:

I'd argue that Estelle's speeches, both at the end of FC and SC weren't really about the power of friendship, but rather about the power of banding together to overcome common obstacles that seem insurmountable to tackle individually. She argued this at the end of FC, pointing out that it wasn't Cassius on his own who ended the war, but the efforts of the entire royal army as well as many more. At the end of SC, she pointed out that one of the main reasons the aureole ruined the very civilisation it was meant to improve was because it isolated people by taking away all reasons to interact with their fellow man. You could argue that this is something that every JRPG throws in there at the end, but both FC and SC give Estelle plenty of examples to back up her point. This is different from the power of friendship since many of both games more effective alliances were between parties who either had little interaction with each other before or were at odds with one another before banding together to fight for a common goal.

Yet it takes on such an extremist tone, as if to say that independence and the ability in order to fight on one's own will and strength is completely hopeless in the first place. If we were to take a look at Joshua, who tried to handle his problems on his own, he was displayed as unnatural to the light of the player. So even if your argument was true, it still comes back to the idea of everyone having to be codependent on others for any form of success in life, doesn't it?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
You didn't build that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slur posted:

Yet it takes on such an extremist tone, as if to say that independence and the ability in order to fight on one's own will and strength is completely hopeless in the first place. If we were to take a look at Joshua, who tried to handle his problems on his own, he was displayed as unnatural to the light of the player. So even if your argument was true, it still comes back to the idea of everyone having to be codependent on others for any form of success in life, doesn't it?
lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'i don't understand why completely abandoning your friends, family, and the woman who loves you so you can wallow in your manpain... i dont understand why that would be a bad thing. criticizing that seems very extremist.'

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

I'm still on chapter 4 but I'm gonna maintain my opinion that Joshua is a jerk, and I hope Estelle hits him in the face and makes it clear that even if he's all goddamn depressed what he did is literally the worst course of action and only served to hurt people who genuinely care about him.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Josh is absolutely right that Estelle is too good for him tbh.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Slur posted:

Extremist, huh? Yeah, I'm sure that's it. If only more games were willing to promote the POWER OF BOOTSTRAPS.

The Colonel posted:

I'm still on chapter 4 but I'm gonna maintain my opinion that Joshua is a jerk, and I hope Estelle hits him in the face and makes it clear that even if he's all goddamn depressed what he did is literally the worst course of action and only served to hurt people who genuinely care about him.

It wouldn't be Kiseki without a patented Bright Slap.

quote:

Josh is absolutely right that Estelle is too good for him tbh.

Eh, I think they complement each other pretty well. Though if it were Anelace stepping up as Joshua's rival, I might be willing to consider agreeing with you. :P

Erpy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 24, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The most important pairing is Mueller and Olivier though.

looking at fanart and some messed up people ship him with schera. smdh

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

The most important pairing is Mueller and Olivier though.

looking at fanart and some messed up people ship him with schera. smdh

I think you're missing the true spirit of Olivier, he would ship himself with everyone.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Munin posted:

I think you're missing the true spirit of Olivier, he would ship himself with everyone.

While valid, I'm sure even he would say that Mueller is his OTP. :v:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Fools. Olivier's destiny is obvious!

... or at least it is obvious as soon as I find the drat picture.

Ah, here we go.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I found the piano sheet music for Shine of Eidos, but does anyone know where I can find a sheet for Etude of the Ruin?

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
is Zeiss considered a bit of a slump story-wise? its the first time i've been kinda bored in the game and I hope i'm not just burning out on it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

klapman posted:

is Zeiss considered a bit of a slump story-wise? its the first time i've been kinda bored in the game and I hope i'm not just burning out on it

The beginning of that chapter can be considered a bit slow, but the latter half is when FC's main plot starts to ramp up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

klapman posted:

the first half of chapter 3 i can see that yeah. everything from the second half of 3 to the end of the game is great though

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Motto posted:

The beginning of that chapter can be considered a bit slow, but the latter half is when FC's main plot starts to ramp up.

Alright, awesome. I shall soldier on for another 20 hours, and more

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Besides, Zeiss means Tita. Always important.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Tita is a cool character and all but any time in these games I was forced to use her in my party all I could do was groan.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I thought Tita would be annoying but I think she's like ten times better at doing real work than Estelle is lmao

Super Jay Mann posted:

Tita is a cool character and all but any time in these games I was forced to use her in my party all I could do was groan.

Weird, from what i've seen her regular attack has an AoE which is very badass, I love using them in games like this, seeing all the enemies explode at once is the best

e: "Are you and Joshua married?" right back on board

klapman fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 25, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Super Jay Mann posted:

I like using her with status quartz, especially with the Medium-radius cannons. I think my record is four petrifications on one shot.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I tried to use Tita in both games but aside from craft-based healing when there's no better alternative (like Kevin when he finally gets around to joining for real) her fragility reeeeally damns her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tita actually does really high damage if you just give her attack quartz, the problem is that she doesn't have the offensive crafts agate does

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Tita simply isn't powerful enough to make up for being made of tissue paper and being able to AOE her normal attack isn't anything special when there are many many MANY alternative and better AOE attacks from other characters that require very little additional resources to execute.

AOE status effects are nice, I will admit, but as per most JRPGs, status affliction is useless against the monsters you would actually need them for.

And again, seriously, she has roughly 2/3rds the max HP of Kloe of all characters, that's just plain absurd.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Super Jay Mann posted:

And again, seriously, she has roughly 2/3rds the max HP of Kloe of all characters, that's just plain absurd.

Yeah, I never used her after you get Joshua back; Agate and Kloe are basically must-haves to me, and then that's a team there.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Super Jay Mann posted:

Tita simply isn't powerful enough to make up for being made of tissue paper and being able to AOE her normal attack isn't anything special when there are many many MANY alternative and better AOE attacks from other characters that require very little additional resources to execute.

AOE status effects are nice, I will admit, but as per most JRPGs, status affliction is useless against the monsters you would actually need them for.

At which point you switch the status affliction out for Strike.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you use both josette and tita. not because they're good, but because some things are more important

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
No one uses Josette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Supremezero posted:

No one uses Josette.

On my second play through, I'm going to use her just to spite you.

I really want The 3rd to come over here.