Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

we harnessed the atom for unlimited energy, until it was no longer unlimited

also things are bad, but look pretty good until they are destroyed by nuclear hell fire

but trust me, things are bad out there

our sun will become a red dwarf and kill us before we exhaust available nuclear energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

it's just that bethesda's writing is abysmal and they don't know how to portray a dying world or write proper narration

resource scarcity is lazy writer apocalypse boogieman #2 right after zombie plague and just as likely to happen.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Shaggar posted:

our sun will become a red dwarf and kill us before we exhaust available nuclear energy.

bring on the backyard graphite reactors

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is there a reason given why kellogg isn't like 100 by the time you meet him or is it just handwaved with "the institute did some science on him"

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

St Evan Echoes posted:

is there a reason given why kellogg isn't like 100 by the time you meet him or is it just handwaved with "the institute did some science on him"

he's all cyborged up

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Phoenixan posted:

it's just that bethesda's writing is abysmal and they don't know how to portray a dying world or write proper narration

it's not even the setting or plot points that are bad, there's really only so much to do wit ha postapocalyptic setting. it's that the narration is just so plodding and uninteresting, and it leads off the entire game.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hi guys are you still talking about fallout 4?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the worst thing fallout ever did was pay any attention to what happened before and during the war. the entire point is that the old world burned itself away due to the folly of war and that's all you need to know.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

guess so. i'll check back tomorrow

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

As a Millennial I posted:

guess so. i'll check back tomorrow

good buy and good luck

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

id mock you but i realized that i click "back" in disgust whenever monster hunter or mobas come up

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

one of the weakest things about Fallout for me isn't even Bethesda's fault

why would we still be doing '50s aesthetic and style in 2077

I realize for the purpose of game design it lets the developer focus on and twist an established style we all have some kind of feeling about but I'm a sperg

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

setafd posted:

one of the weakest things about Fallout for me isn't even Bethesda's fault

why would we still be doing '50s aesthetic and style in 2077

I realize for the purpose of game design it lets the developer focus on and twist an established style we all have some kind of feeling about but I'm a sperg

the premise is "what if both the best dreams and darkest fears of the 50s came true in the future". that's why the prewar stuff is all very 50s-but-scifi

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

water, farm-able land, mineral exhaustion. there are plenty of things that UNLIMITED POWER can't fix
arable land is a real concern but mineral exhaustion shouldn't happen for a lot of materials due to recycling.

Also unlimited power gives you a lot of options for water, namely desalination.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Notorious QIG posted:

the premise is "what if both the best dreams and darkest fears of the 50s came true in the future". that's why the prewar stuff is all very 50s-but-scifi

oh, I'd forgotten to consider sci-fi's role as an encapsulation of those feelings

okay I like it again

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
wanna post-apocalyptic game where the nukes dropped in the 80's or early 90's- just everyone in polyester and shutter shades and slap bracelets and a bunch of really horrendous 80's/90's one hit wonders on wasteland radio

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Fabricated posted:

arable land is a real concern but mineral exhaustion shouldn't happen for a lot of materials due to recycling.

desalination gets you drinking water but to scale that out for industrial processes and agriculture is absurd. common minerals are ok but there is plenty of rare earth stuff that's hard to come by and extraction doesn't scale well because there aren't enough known large deposits

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

buncha decent sale prices for older games over at BundleStars... I never got Shadows of Mordor while it was blowing up here, but £8.99 for everything is as cheap as I've seen it.

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/games?page=1&sale=true

Oops, use SAVE10 for an extra 10% off at checkout.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fabricated posted:

wanna post-apocalyptic game where the nukes dropped in the 80's or early 90's- just everyone in polyester and shutter shades and slap bracelets and a bunch of really horrendous 80's/90's one hit wonders on wasteland radio

wasteland 2 is based on the 80s and isn't quite what you want but certainly closer to it than fallout

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Oops, use SAVE10 for an extra 10% off at checkout.

now you tell me!!!!! :argh:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
also i thought bethsoft was a developer??? i was surprised to see their logo on wolfenstein, especially since wolfenstein has competent animation.

i guess they publish since zenimax bought them?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i do not care for the 50s future ascetic

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Panty Saluter posted:

also i thought bethsoft was a developer??? i was surprised to see their logo on wolfenstein, especially since wolfenstein has competent animation.

i guess they publish since zenimax bought them?

yeah

a lot of devs have had trouble with bethesda's publishing though since bethesda does the qa for stuff they publish

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

water, farm-able land, mineral exhaustion. there are plenty of things that UNLIMITED POWER can't fix

water is easily fixable with unlimited power

so is mineral exhaustion in most circumstances

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
and that's fixable with a real space program, which is easily doable with unlimited power and the insane storage/weight ratio fallout universe seems to have with portable fusion cells

given unlimited power we're most likely to irrevocably damage the biosphere rendering us unable to grow enough food to survive in enough numbers to make industrial-scale possible long term

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 24, 2015

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol, billy mitchell sued a children's cartoon and lost https://t.co/XD6bqyXbtf

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

let's just say that the passage of time in the fallout world does not make any goddamn sense

lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's a pretty breezy read but it basically boils down to

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is "explodes into goo" a recognized legal term

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

computer parts posted:

just use fusion to create the required things! obvs!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

computer parts posted:

just bring asteroids into orbit and crack them open like delicious eggs

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Notorious QIG posted:

wasteland 2 is based on the 80s and isn't quite what you want but certainly closer to it than fallout
wl2 (dc) isn't great shakes by any stretch but the setting is pretty nicely implemented. their "war explanation" is wonderfully minimalistic which is nice. just imprint the meaning upon it that you need it to have, no more no less

wl2 would be much more likely to support six string samurai as a concept and is therefore superior

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Improbable Lobster posted:

yeah

a lot of devs have had trouble with bethesda's publishing though since bethesda does the qa for stuff they publish

:cawg:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

how are you going to make plastics and lubricants without oil?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

is "explodes into goo" a recognized legal term

it is when you work for OSHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SmokaDustbowl posted:

how are you going to make plastics and lubricants without oil?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Own-Gasoline

• Locked thread